Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles for example or other small minded survival games.(population capping servers) Yes or No

unbeatinunbeatin Member UncommonPosts: 58
edited January 2017 in General Gaming
Does this hurt the game more than help? LiF for example where sieges resulted in many players locked out of the server unable to help guilds that grew to 30 vs 30 or more with a cap of (70 as they said in the most recent forum Q&A). Our gaming community is of 50-100 players, so we should avoid the game all together? Is this a good idea? LiF went MMO, and the most successful to date being King of the Kill host's 100 or more players in their matches.... 

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Hard to say, I've never played a "survival" game, but some folks who do have agreed small server pops and even monthly wipes/restarts are a good idea.

I'll have to defer to them for now though 70 is too small to interest me in playing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    If I remember correctly, the 70 player cap is just to start with.  I thought they plan on expanding that as the development progresses?  Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

I'll see if I can back that up when I'm not at work.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think it's spot on. I may be wrong, but there isn't a dedicated server so it would run off individual PCs. If anyone else is like me, I don't have a PC that could handle hundreds of players at the same time.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    For me 70 is not enough, but I know that there is interest for this kind of games.
    So good luck to them.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    http://www.pcinvasion.com/conan-exiles-player-server-details

"For Early Access launch, PingPerfect servers will be able to handle up to 70 players which will be increased over time."
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    If Conan is unable to support more than several hundred players simultaneously, I can't see it being taken very seriously. I mean if you are supposed to be warring many clans of people but only 3 or 4 can exist on the server simultaneously, that kind of makes the winner king of nothing.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    For EA it is ok.

• unbeatinunbeatin Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Dullahan said:
    If Conan is unable to support more than several hundred players simultaneously, I can't see it being taken very seriously. I mean if you are supposed to be warring many clans of people but only 3 or 4 can exist on the server simultaneously, that kind of makes the winner king of nothing.
    Pretty much sums up how I feel... Its been done reign of kings, rust, at least 25 other titles. The ones winning expanded, and here we are back at square one. I think it limits the game play far to much. For those who enjoy clan battles and siege, if we put our 50 guys on a server who would stand up to it with the remaining 30 slots. 

To my knowledge you can use bluefangserver like LiF, Rust, Reign of Kings the many 100 titles that have already done this and failed to hold population to manage server for you so doesnt have to be a home PC. I was really hyped until the 70 cap, how great a game it would be to have this on a massive world, Life is Feudal MMO will be the first real world survival game, guess ill have to hold off on this one. Best of luck to them, but its been done and failed on at least 10 examples i know with none working. Ark would be your best argument but I believe all the 25-50 MODS people use being the most populated servers are why, I doubt exiles will be so heavily modded. But even still their servers are fun alone or with a few friends, and if that is the end game plan for exiles then the team thinks rather small and short term cash grab. Shame I really felt a funcom comeback coming on =P 
  • unbeatinunbeatin Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I am at least surprised the poll is even..