Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Are you going to buy the Nintendo Switch?

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    Yes,

I play games that are good, not edgy, cool or 'mature.'

Also, lol at system elitism, true gamers have as much platforms as possible...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    In my house I currently have a WII, a WII U, 2 XBOs, a PS4, 3 3DS, 4 PCs, 1 iPad, 3 iPad mini, and 5 iPhones.    I have the Switch on Pre-Order just in case things change but why would I buy this platform currently?  What does it offer over the other systems listed?  Even the key launch game (Zelda) will be available on the Wii-U.  

It's not about elitism... it's about the lack of a compelling reason to buy.  Particularly at a premium price to the PS4 and XBO.

They shot themselves in the foot with the price and by not having Mario available at launch.  The $80 price of an extra controller hurts them a bunch too.   And is there a pack-in game announced?  When a parent spends $300 on such a system I think they at least plan to have their kids be able to use it without investing another $60 in a game (and maybe another $80 on a second joy-con)

If they had Mario bundled as their launch title this thing would have flown off the shelves, even at $300.   But that's not the case right now.  Maybe by the holidays but then they will run into the next gen machines like XBox Scorpio and maybe finally some ready for prime-time VR.

Nowhere was the question asked ' when'  the Switch will or must be bought, just if you will purchase one at all. Are there enough lauch games? No way, but that is irrelevant down the line. With Mario and Xenoblade at the horizon I got enough games already, not to mention the new Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem games.

As I have stated in another thread, I look at the Switch as a high spec handheld and not a low spec console. 300 bucks for a portable SP4/Xone with the ability to play on your television and the Nintendo household games? i'll take it. And if you don't, wait for 6 months and buy it for 300 including a game, there will be bundles by then for sure

And you might not be guilty of system elitism, a lot of people here are....

Perhaps the poll should have been "WIll you buy a Switch at launch?" because a lot of people seem to have interpreted it like that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DragonJockeyDragonJockey Member UncommonPosts: 11
    No....I don't plan to make another game console purchase for a couple years, and then I expect it to be the new xbox coming out later this year. I expect that console will have more power, and more game titles that I am interested in, than what Nintendo will deliver.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited January 2017
    Reizla said:
    IMO Nintendo makes inferior consoles compared to SONY and Mickey$oft (Preferring Playstation over Xbox because I'm a jRPG lover ;) ) and they add way too many weird gimmicks to their consoles at the same time. With that, the 'in house' titles (Pokemon, Mario and to some extend Zelda) are not my style and (IMO once again) more aimed at a 10s to 20s age range...
    Actually, 20's is on the older side. Nintendo, particularly Nintendo switch, seems to be aimed for those under the age of 18, with the emphasis on parental controls, and titles such as Zelda and Mario, captured my attention more when I was younger. Mario when I was grade school age, and Zelda when I was in middle to high school age. It's not to stay that in my 20's I still wouldn't be interested in these titles, but like some have said, it's mainly for nostalgia sake. I didn't vote on whether I would buy Nintendo Switch or not, because I haven't invested in any console since Gamecube. I have always been a Nintendo fan; this is what I grew up with; like @lahnmir said: "I play games that are good, not edgy, cool or 'mature". Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I cannot play games geared toward a younger audience, because in the end we are still just playing a game.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I'm still waiting to find a Nintendo NES mini available at a retail store. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited January 2017

But I'm not happy about it. I'll buy it eventually because my 6 y/o still wants it. I was looking very forward to it myself until I watched the presentation. I am very disappointed for all the same reasons that folks have already mentioned (few games, high price of system and peripherals, gimmicks, etc.)

• Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Have you not seen the trailer for Breath of the Wild?
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Im getting one. Not only will I enjoy it, but so will both my kids.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Have you not seen the trailer for Breath of the Wild?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2017
    One reason to wait and see is first generation products rarely come out without some problems that need to be fixed or even corrected in the second or third generation.  I do wish them success as this would make it a lot easier to play games in bed.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Voted No because it's unlikely I will get it even after the reviews are out and there are more games for it. I'm happy with my PC.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Alverant said:
    Voted No because it's unlikely I will get it even after the reviews are out and there are more games for it. I'm happy with my PC.
    Im also happy with my pc, nothing wrong with sharing.

• GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Maybe later on in the year or next year but not during it's launch. I like Nintendo but ever since I bought the Wii at launch I've only enjoyed one game on it. Have to see what all is coming and if it's more than just one game I would love to play.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    edited January 2017
    hard no, the switch is yet another nintendo misstep, in what has become a long list. They already have a very successful portable product. The switch just cant seem to decide what it is. Trying to court "tablet gamers" was a huge mistake. It really is a shame, I will forever and fondly, remember my NES/SNES days when I was a child.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Yes, not day 1, but i know  I will buy it eventually.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I'm no for now. For me it depends if they get enough games that make me want it. I sick of buying a console to play Zelda. Let's see how deep the rabbit hope goes. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    As I said, would rather save for the Scorpio. At least it has power and a reason to get a console.
  • AkemieAkemie Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I love the look and functionality of the Switch.  I love that the portable handheld piece is a pretty big size. I hate small screens.  I can play on the go and I can then mount the system to the TV and hand a control to my man and we can play couch coop.  Totally sounds like a good fun time to me.  And of course ZELDA!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Not at launch.  I'll eventually get it with Xenoblade Chronicles.  I love gaming on my tablet.  So this works perfectly for me.  
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Maybe at some point in the (probably distant) future, and that's only IF it gets a good number of exclusive must play games... for now I'd rather save my money for Resident Evil 7, Tales of Berseria, (maybe) Nioh, (maybe) For Honor, Torment, Horizon: Zero Dawn, (maybe) Ghost Recon: Wildlands, (maybe) NieR: Automata, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix, Persona 5, (maybe) Yooka-Laylee, ... and then there are still games on my Wishlist like Doom and Civilization VI.

If Nintendo wanted to pick a worse launch window I don't know that they could have done it.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    99.9% sure I'll get one eventually. However, I'm concerned about the apparent lack of third party support, as well as the fact that it's going to be yet another underpowered Nintendo home console (as a portable it's impressive though). 

If the Switch doesn't get strong third party support akin to that of the XBOne or PS4 (and their upcoming successors), it very well could be Nintendo's final home console. They need to get their shit together this time around. Nintendo could, and should, be dominating the console market. Why they won't take just a few relatively simple actions to do so has perplexed me since the Gamecube days. It's like the whole company came down with a case of severe rectal-cranium inversion in the mid 2000's, and they still haven't shaken it off. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I will most likely get one at some point, but definitely not for the first year. The only way I'd get one this year would be for my daughter and Splatoon 2. At least I can get Breath of the Wild for my Wii U. Considering the Switch has questionable power compared to current gen consoles it'll be interesting to see how much total 3rd party support it garners.

Nintendo seems to be banking on that everyone wants to be portable, but with 2-6 hour battery life, is the Switch truly that portable?

Legend of Zelda seems to be the only good game for launch. Splatoon 2 coming sometime this year, and Mario Odyssey coming out this holiday season are possibly the only games to look forward to. FIFA 17 and Skyrim aren't going to be big sellers. Also, the fact that they are just revamping Mario Kart 8 for the Switch instead of making Mario Kart 9 seems really lazy.

There just doesn't seem to be much of a reason to be an early adopter.

If Nintendo really wants to get this thing moving, I feel they need to really get back to the JRPG. That's actually one of the best things about the 3DS. If Nintendo can get Squeenix to work some magic and release a ton of JRPGs on the Switch then they might have a chance. It would be neat to see HD remakes of Chrono Trigger, Secret Mana (and release all versions to the states), and of course the older FF titles. Not to mention the Dragon Quest series. Also, if Nintendo could get Sega to HD remake any of the Phantasy Star series, then we could fully fuel a console on pure nostalgia.

I've been a huge fan of Nintendo for most of my life, but the Switch worries me. I'd rather not get Dreamcast'ed again.

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    edited January 2017
    I'm cautiously optimistic for the Switch.  Yes, it's gimmicky and I'm sick of the gimmicks just like everyone else.  I do think that Nintendo is starting to actually understand it's core audience in the US.  During the reveal there were more RPGs planned than is usual, at least for the last two Nintendo consoles. 

This makes me think Nintendo is trying to bring the US 3ds fans over to switch.  This makes me happy. Some types of RPGs can only, really, be had on the 3ds at this point.

I'll get it in about a year.  Xenoblade and Zelda are enough to sell the system for me. Then add Fire Emblem, SMT, both possibly exclusives and I'm in heaven.  If they get Atlus on board I will flip out.  Sick of playing the 3ds.  I hate small screens.  Having the option to play SMT/Atlus and other archaic rpgs on the big screen will be a welcome change.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I've had all the portable systems, like Gameboy and Nintendo DS, but I'm not picking up this product, it's not portable enough for me, and the games are not good enough. As an adult there are limits for how many Mario Karts I can play. I want more adulty games, and playing 5-6 years old Skyrim just dosen't cut it. 

I would much rather have played a updated Morrowind, like they have done with Final Fantasy for example.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Only if it has achievement system
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Doesn't look too good they lost £1.5 billion in shares after they announced the Switch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/01/13/nintendo-shares-drop-high-price-switch-console-dismays-investors/

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file