Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the highlight of the MMO genre?

Comments

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited December 2016
    botrytis said:
    GW2 was a missed opportunity. 

Definitely should not be a benchmark, more like a tale of what not to do when you have a possible gem. Their original manifesto is the game people wanted to play.

Cue'ing up dead horse... now:

At the same time people saying how it's the most terrible thing ever are cleary on psychedelic drugs and never played. That's just hyperbole on steroids.

Not a missed opportunity. It is what they could do with the resources and game engine they built. They honestly did the best they could but they did put a game out unlike CIS which keeps promising more stuff but not much in the way of actual game play or real timelines.

Let me remind you that stay at home gamers and people who can devote 6+ hours per day each and every day literally destroyed that model. The content locusts simply can't be matched from a development standpoint.

They are the true problem with today's games and MMOs. They are the truly what developers fear and for good reason. They are the splinters that you know you will have to come up against and how do you deal with them? I think arenanet took the problem head on and did a very noble way, much better then mmos on 5 and 10 minute reset timers.
  • mezhumezhu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited December 2016
    botrytis said:

The combat is limited in scope and boring as hell, not to mention the whole everyone can do everything concept doesn't work.  The content is lacking severely.  The PvP is crap compared to it's predecessor. It doesn't even have GvG in a game called GUILD WARS....
    No. 

UHH - you do know that name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GvG - read the lore....

from GW1 Wiki (controlled by A.Net btw).

The Tyrian disasters[edit]

Throughout the centuries, the continent of Tyria found itself in constant warfare. The multiple Guild Wars raged across human lands - constantly ending and starting again, creating a series of wars between Humans. In all these years, not much aside from the constant wars and temporary times of peace existed. However, nearly two hundred years prior to the Searing, a powerful arcanist known simply as Lord Odran sought to reach into the unknown, and in doing so, by sacrificing many souls, found access to the Hall of Heroes. Though the spirits were outraged at Odran's intrusion on the land they had paid to access with their life and blood, they could do nothing against beings of the living. For years, Odran explored the Rift and the many worlds, placing his portals in deadly locations and concealing them with spells. Until one day, the spirits of the Rift found a way to harm that which was corporeal and when Odran returned to the Rift they tore his body apart. In doing so that which they hated most came to pass as the spells of protection and concealment over Odran's portals were removed and mortals gained free access to the Hall of Heroes.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. The original game was largely built around guilds and their rivalries- this quotation just serves as a little back-story to tomb of the primeval kings and the lore behind gvg and has practically nothing to do with the either the original trilogy games or the sequel. Maybe you should be the one reading the lore, this time without wearing a fanboy blindfold.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    GW2 is a case study of why you should stick to your strong points from the original game and evolve into an updated world/engine/combat style/etc...instead of focusing way too much into making an MMORPG into your e-sport platform (lol...)

So...no, not even a little bit.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I think it's unbeatable for being a B2P game. Lot of sour grapes around here when it comes to GW2 though. 
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    mezhu said:
    botrytis said:

The combat is limited in scope and boring as hell, not to mention the whole everyone can do everything concept doesn't work.  The content is lacking severely.  The PvP is crap compared to it's predecessor. It doesn't even have GvG in a game called GUILD WARS....
    No. 

UHH - you do know that name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GvG - read the lore....

from GW1 Wiki (controlled by A.Net btw).

The Tyrian disasters[edit]

Throughout the centuries, the continent of Tyria found itself in constant warfare. The multiple Guild Wars raged across human lands - constantly ending and starting again, creating a series of wars between Humans. In all these years, not much aside from the constant wars and temporary times of peace existed. However, nearly two hundred years prior to the Searing, a powerful arcanist known simply as Lord Odran sought to reach into the unknown, and in doing so, by sacrificing many souls, found access to the Hall of Heroes. Though the spirits were outraged at Odran's intrusion on the land they had paid to access with their life and blood, they could do nothing against beings of the living. For years, Odran explored the Rift and the many worlds, placing his portals in deadly locations and concealing them with spells. Until one day, the spirits of the Rift found a way to harm that which was corporeal and when Odran returned to the Rift they tore his body apart. In doing so that which they hated most came to pass as the spells of protection and concealment over Odran's portals were removed and mortals gained free access to the Hall of Heroes.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. The original game was largely built around guilds and their rivalries- this quotation just serves as a little back-story to tomb of the primeval kings and the lore behind gvg and has practically nothing to do with the either the original trilogy games or the sequel. Maybe you should be the one reading the lore, this time without wearing a fanboy blindfold.
    Yes, the original Guild Wars started as a PvP game.
    Some players were annoyed that they had to play PvE (which Anet was using as a tutorial) to unlock stuff for PvP.

That was 2005. 11 years ago.
    Since then you had Nightfall and Eye of the North, clearly PvE centric. 
    Then Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars stopped being a PvP game/franchise in 2006. They kept the name because it is a recognizable name of a successful product that spawned an even more successful product.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    azurrei said:
    GW2 is a case study of why you should stick to your strong points from the original game and evolve into an updated world/engine/combat style/etc...instead of focusing way too much into making an MMORPG into your e-sport platform (lol...)

One post  "GW2 isn't PvP like GW1 originally was. Sucks."
    The next post "GW2 is too much PvP".

Cmon it can't be both.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    azurrei said:

I totally feel the same way. GW1 had a lot of potential, but so much of it was ditched for no good reason. GW2 is some half-assed mmorpg/e-sport wannabe. It really doesn't do both that well. There are things that it does do really well, but I've gotten so tired of what it does poorly. I've moved on and it's so much easier to see it now that I'm not invested in it.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2017
    What they're doing is genius. They've seem to have found that sweet spot for releases that they have had a problem before. 

A new map every 2 months and it can include fractals, game modes, etc. A gamer's dream. 

The game itself feels great and the combat isn't boring or clunky. 

Unfortunately most people can't get past this and will forever be stuck in the "it's not GW1 so it sucks" attitude. It's either that or they can't play games where it requires them to control a character well enough via action combat to actually progress without the tab target and press 1 to 8 for the win. 

This is coming from a guy who LOVES GW1, and has way more hours in GW1 than GW2, and hated GW2 first before giving it a few more tries. 
    The combat is a dodge fest.  It felt awful to me.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

I think you mean "CORPG"

...?
    Cooperative Online Role Playing Game?

GW2 (and ESO) does feel closer to a MMO-fied version of a Skyrim/Diablo III hybrid than an actual MMORPG like World of Warcraft, EverQuest II, Age of Conan, and others.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Darksworm said:
    What they're doing is genius. They've seem to have found that sweet spot for releases that they have had a problem before. 

A new map every 2 months and it can include fractals, game modes, etc. A gamer's dream. 

The game itself feels great and the combat isn't boring or clunky. 

Unfortunately most people can't get past this and will forever be stuck in the "it's not GW1 so it sucks" attitude. It's either that or they can't play games where it requires them to control a character well enough via action combat to actually progress without the tab target and press 1 to 8 for the win. 

This is coming from a guy who LOVES GW1, and has way more hours in GW1 than GW2, and hated GW2 first before giving it a few more tries. 
    The combat is a dodge fest.  It felt awful to me.
    thats action combat...

If you dont like action combat, thats okay, but then dont come to games with action combat complaining they have action combat...

If you had invested more time, you would have found a whole layer of strategical and tactical content under that action based layer... the way buffing, debuffing and CC happen in this game is way more indepth then most other MMO´s.. 

And even with the best gear, runnign around recklessly gets you in trouble... HOT open world content is the most challenging of all MMO´s i played since EQ..  You just cant run around headless, you need to have a good build thats working for you...  you can still play as you want (mellee, ranged, selfhealing) but if you stand in the fire you die surprisingly fast..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    More like the twilight of the genre.
    Darksworm said:

I think you mean "CORPG"

...?
    Cooperative Online Role Playing Game?

GW2 (and ESO) does feel closer to a MMO-fied version of a Skyrim/Diablo III hybrid than an actual MMORPG like World of Warcraft, EverQuest II, Age of Conan, and others.
    An actuall MMO like WoW...

MMO
    multiplayer check
    massively check
    online check
    rpg check

not being WoW clones does not make them any less MMO..  your definition of MMORPG is wrong..  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Guild Wars 2 really is the epitome of "missed opportunity" as FlyByKnight said.

A missed opportunity on recapturing what it built with Guild Wars.

A missed opportunity on what Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

A missed opportunity on holding people with the Living Story.

And, finally, a missed opportunity on bringing people back with the expansion.

GW2 is a highlight in what not to do in the MMO genre.

Xiaoki said:
    Guild Wars 2 really is the epitome of "missed opportunity" as FlyByKnight said.

A missed opportunity on recapturing what it built with Guild Wars.

A missed opportunity on what Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

A missed opportunity on holding people with the Living Story.

And, finally, a missed opportunity on bringing people back with the expansion.

GW2 is a highlight in what not to do in the MMO genre.

I have learned to base my opinion about a game about what is there... and not about what it could/should have been

And whats there is quite amusing.. keeping the game among my favorite if not favorite MMO's..

I think you need to accpet the fact that no MMO ever will be perfect...

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I come and go to GW2 time to time. Have 2 ascendeds sets 1 light 1 medium, Not hardcore PvPer here, not hardcore PvE'er as well. Never did raids.Did a lot of WvW and PvP and PvE ( maps and stuff the expansion )

In 4 years this game did NOTHING compared to ...say.. Elder Scrolls online and/or WoW and/or many many more mmos out there.

Im completely not satisfied with where the game went.
    Im not satisfied at all with the living story BULLSH. 
    Im FAR from satisfied with balancing and class trait system : how it pushes you into one and only one direction.

Im only interested in some good skins and market system and occasional open world pvp feeling.
    Good MMO's are just a gaze through the past now.
    like..say.GW1

beLIEve

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    come play darkfall rise of agon..

and play with the pro's
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    edited February 2017

yes, it was one of the highlights..roughly one mio sold copies per year..very few games can do that

of course it ended with the HOT disaster, they wont recover from that one

note, how many of their systems other mmos have copied by now

come play darkfall rise of agon..

and play with the pro's
    does it have sparkly ponies? i really need to stock up on those

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    its a great game, that keeps getting better and better over time....

- A top knotch game at realease that got me hooked for a year
    - then first season of the living world which kept me comming back
    - the seccond season is even better
    - a stunning expansion showing once and for all that vertical progression can do it all and keep people entertained

and now there is the 3rd season of the living world, maybe even more sattisfying then anything before... if they can keep pushing new content at this speed....  they definately will be getting even more of my attention...
    Great...if this is your 1st mmo. 
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I would have liked GW2 a lot better if it had stuck with class types (healer ect). As someone who usually plays a healer, being forced to dps was a big letdown :(
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Erinak1 said:
    I would have liked GW2 a lot better if it had stuck with class types (healer ect). As someone who usually plays a healer, being forced to dps was a big letdown :(
    You know that healers are an important part of the game especially in raids right?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I play an mmo for a month, and than wondering what for mmorpg shall I play now... :angry: 

Im getting old, maybe I should stick with single players games, no mmorpg cant satisfy me for long :( 

Dakeru said:
    Erinak1 said:
    You know that healers are an important part of the game especially in raids right?

theyre needed everywhere, specially with all those pesky bosses running around

i got some pretty tips while levelling my water ele

fun times...sigh

Hefaistos said:
    its a great game, that keeps getting better and better over time....

- A top knotch game at realease that got me hooked for a year
    - then first season of the living world which kept me comming back
    - the seccond season is even better
    - a stunning expansion showing once and for all that vertical progression can do it all and keep people entertained

and now there is the 3rd season of the living world, maybe even more sattisfying then anything before... if they can keep pushing new content at this speed....  they definately will be getting even more of my attention...
    Great...if this is your 1st mmo. 

i cant think of a better mmo for the newbie player, and they can even get the best part for free

we all have to start somewhere, and a mmo without newbies is a dying game

i have seen enough of those over the years

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    GW2 highlight of the MMO genre? perhaps should be changed to GW2 footnote in the history of MMO's, though honestly, its barely even that. :o