Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The things in the trailer that make you immediately disregard a new MMO

DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

Maybe I've been playing a while and I have the patience of the middle aged man I am but there are some things, that are quite common, that I see in a new game trailer or feature list that immediately turn me off to a game.

1. Boss Monsters that are so big you are attacking it toes. I'm not 9yrs old anymore! This does not make it "EPIC" it makes it Silly. 50 man raid swinging at the toes of a dragon is stupid, In some context fighting a 40 foot giant wielding a sword the size of cruiser makes sense, like if I have a special god weapon that is needed to beat it. Dark Souls 3 Yohm the Giant fight with the wind sword, that's appropriate.
  2. Visual effects the size of elephants for every single attack swing or spell you make. Jesus Christ when did this become the norm? It used to be if you were swinging for a critical hit the blade of your sword would have a brief glimmer and spells were contained to your personal space. So when a truly big effect or spell is unleashed it would make an impact. A fight scene with 12 people nowadays looks like an iTunes music visualizer being viewed through Windows Magnifying mode for the visually impaired.
  3. You walk into a town and there are 23 quest exclamations crowding out everything. And they are all fetch this or kill that quests you do in 2 minutes. Sounds like what I do at work. I think The Witcher had "quests", these are not quests.
  4. Every character model looks like and poses as a highly sexualized anime drawing in grossly uncomfortable armor and questionable age category. The super slender porcelain skinned chiseled features of gorgeous mid section should be relegated to the "Elven" class only. Child like characters are for the Hobbit races or cute furry races MAYBE otherwise it's just fan service of the worst kind. I'm looking at you Terra!
  5. The trailer flashes text like "Upgrade your Skills!", "Outwit your opponents!", "Become a HERO!" and is exclusively effects driven fights scenes that don'/t even show off any innovative mechanics, just people swinging to obnoxious visual effects.

I can probably name off a lot more but what are the some of the things you witness that makes you immediately kill a video and never go back?

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
 An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!

Comments

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited January 2017
    I'll add, "Coming QX of XXXX year!" to the list
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I am turned off by the same things, if its to garish, huge weapon sizes (or penis extensions) and has cuteness as a sales feature, with cute items in a cash shop, its never looked at again.

Actually if it has a cash shop its already on notice, but when an early access alpha build has a cash shop its time to get out the Foxtrot Oscar hammer. 

Recent example is BDO, it made my eyes and ears vomit, ran the trail, uninstalled within 20 mins.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Top down view.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Advertisements with scantly clad babes with headlights that are bigger than their heads.  When you have to push boobs that hard, you know the game itself is terrible
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    1. Top-down view
    2. Clicking with the mouse to move the character (unless someone tells me immediately that WASD or gamepad movement is also available)
    3. Pixel art
    4. Guns as a weapon in the game
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    1. "This game will be Free to play"
    2. Female toons in nothing more then loincloths
    3. Anime
    4. Purchase your copy now to get in Early Access immediately!
    5. Rated 10/10 by MMORPG.com (nah joking)
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited January 2017
    I agree with all of the above.

Can add mist.
    If a trailer have too much mist or if the background for no reason at all is misty, its a tell tell sign for me, that the developers dont have their game under control.
    There are a few exceptions, like "Mist of Pandaria" kinda called for the Island covered in Mist, so in that one trailer it was relevant.
    Also a very rare few trailers that shows the hero or villain popping out of a mist, can occasionally be ok, if the trailer otherwise shows that it is not to cover up limited skills in the graphics department.

Also overuse of one color in various shades.

Like Sifi trailers often go with an extreme overuse of blue colors.
    Conan inspired games with an extreme overuse of sand colors.
    Games with a forest race, overuse of green.

I dont know if you guys have noticed the same, but it is off putting.

These games may not necessarily be bad though, but it is not the trailers selling the product to me, when they do the "What color should this trailer have?"

A few other things that makes me move on to something else, are high heels.
    Long legs, high heels, huge turn off. 

And Gore. Got no interest in Gore what so ever, so at first sign of that, its a binned game right away.

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    1. Anime art style

2. Tab target combat

3. Officially called pre-alpha, alpha or beta

4. Cash shop

5. "The real game begins at endgame"

6. Non open world (instances, load screens, zones, etc)
  • Zer0KZer0K Member UncommonPosts: 68
    /agree with OP.

For me:
    - Loading Screens
    - Poor Animations
    - Steampunk mixed with Fantasy MMO or just any game trying to be more than the lore it should focus on.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sounds like you're describing the "best" new MMORPG of 2016.

And yeah, all of those things are a turn off to me too - especially the creepy sexualized tweens.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    1)  A trailer that is nothing but CGI and no gameplay.
    2) Endless list of feature creep.
    3)Cashshop

MurderHerd

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I can't think of a trailer that has swayed me one way or the other. They're rarely representative of what you will find in the actual game, outside of graphical quality, yet even that can be misrepresented. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited January 2017
    Iselin said:

And yeah, all of those things are a turn off to me too - especially the creepy sexualized tweens.
    In all seriousness, after seeing some gameplay videos of Black Desert, I lost all interest in it and never played it.  It was mainly the ridiculous combat, but also seeing videos of that "pop-in", etc., really killed my interest in it.

I never play these new games at launch anyway, so after the reviews came in a few months down the road, I had no regrets.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lokero said:
    Iselin said:

In all seriousness, after seeing some gameplay videos of Black Desert, I lost all interest in it and never played it.  It was mainly the ridiculous combat, but also seeing videos of that "pop-in", etc., really killed my interest in it.

I never play these new games at launch anyway, so after the reviews came in a few months down the road, I had no regrets.
    I actually put my prejudices aside and gave it a fair shot for about 6 weeks trying to like those likable parts it has. In the end though I found I was just having to make too much of an effort to ignore the parts that annoyed me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    ? !
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    2-3 second long "trailers"

Of a certain survival game coming out

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Nothing.
    I don't watch Trailers, I prefer in-game footage to learn about games I am interested in.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Any trailer that doesn't show in game footage. I want to see the mechanics of the game at work. Not CGI footage.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    CGI trailers turn me off. It means the developer is hiding something.
  • GenetikCodeGenetikCode Member UncommonPosts: 48
    All with the above, but must add Founders Packages that always drop with these games at a price that makes your jaw drop!
    Also paid you tube sponsored "20mins Of" and all the like for it commentary of that crap mmo.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Anime style
    Cutesy little characters
    Sexualized female (bikini armor, spike heels on warriors, etc.)

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    BAD UI.

Game can be best gameplay ever, but with a bad UI it's a constant frustration. Anyooone remembers Wurm Online? Indeed.

That's what pushes me to the point I wouldn't even buy / install the game.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I don't really like trailers in MMOs.  They usually have a lot of CGI which doesn't acurately reflect what the game experience will be like.

I don't really like fancy clothing and armor.  This is a personal perference.  Having clothing with fancy styles and weapons with fancy shapes, sizes, and runes turns me off a bit.  I like the idea of the world be a dangerous, simple, and old fashioned world.  Especially in the fantasy/high fantasy setting.  I prefer leather armor to look like a simple pieces of brown material possible with rough edges for instance.  Most games have it with some fancy design and style only an aristicrat would wear and would make no sense for a person who is going ot hunt in the forest and spend lots of time traveling.  A straight sword often looks like something out a lgendary crafter built right level one.  Something with fancy curves and runes should be restricted to very rare and almost impossible to get status.  It should be hard enough to get a simple rusty sword.  Most people would start out with a knife or a plain wooden staff as they are cheap and common.  You never see this in modern MMOs though.  In the Cinematic and even early levels it is always players decked out in some fancy looking gear.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If they considered physics, both over-sized weapons and bosses can be a thing. For example when you carry an ultra great sword in Dark Souls, you feel its weight every step. But when Warriors in WoW dual-wielding 2-handed weapons like chopsticks it turns out ridiculous. 
    See now I made a good Asian reference and a bad western one. ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I never judge a game by its trailer and I am a huge fan of the type of art style you seem to dislike so I play a game and if other aspects of it turn me off then I don't play it but just the art style is not a turn off at all. In fact I found Wildstar truly lovely and I enjoyed the colour palette and I like games that have an anime bent.