Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - Most Wanted MMO of 2017 a Awards at MMORPG.com

1101112131416»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Aori said:
    Kratuk said:
    Grats to Pantheon. That was a hefty cut.

@Aori And it''s cool that you don't care for Pantheon bud. I'm just happy to see gaming in this genre offering some varying choices again. The recent cadre of MMORPGs are in large part twitch-based combat systems with rapid fire leveling and, imo, less distinct feeling class design (yes, I'm a fella that liked the tank, healer, dps, CC and +2 design). Pantheon takes it back to a more traditional system with a focus on grouping.

If you don't like that, all good. Plenty of other stuff these days. Just less twitch-preferring peeps like me can watch on this one. Regardless, if ya hop in at launch I hope to see ya then. Take care bud. :)
    These games don't last long though, I don't think Pantheon will be any exception. I just don't understand the 10 steps back in every direction approach. 

The whole all or nothing is just a weird idea to me. You can do a nostalgic style game without yesterdays tedious inconveniences and graphics.
    I view modern games with their "conveniences" a huge step backwards.

Always has been about game play over graphics in my book as well.

Kinda like the American remakes of European / Asian movies. Less substance, more special effects. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Aori said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aori said:
    Kratuk said:

@Aori And it''s cool that you don't care for Pantheon bud. I'm just happy to see gaming in this genre offering some varying choices again. The recent cadre of MMORPGs are in large part twitch-based combat systems with rapid fire leveling and, imo, less distinct feeling class design (yes, I'm a fella that liked the tank, healer, dps, CC and +2 design). Pantheon takes it back to a more traditional system with a focus on grouping.

If you don't like that, all good. Plenty of other stuff these days. Just less twitch-preferring peeps like me can watch on this one. Regardless, if ya hop in at launch I hope to see ya then. Take care bud. :)
    These games don't last long though, I don't think Pantheon will be any exception. I just don't understand the 10 steps back in every direction approach. 

The whole all or nothing is just a weird idea to me. You can do a nostalgic style game without yesterdays tedious inconveniences and graphics.

Well it would be a step backwards if convenience was a thing back in the day but it wasn't, it was tedium and terrible mechanics.

I know people love their nostalgia, I have my moments too but it isn't a time I miss. Now I don't know enough about Pantheon but from just at a glance it doesn't offer me anything an older game hasn't already offered.

The graphic vs gameplay debate is a silly one to me. Both are equally important and I place fluid animations above both. I can not stand rigid and clunky animations.
    Or maybe it was actually great to other people, and your perspective differs.

• MexenlivesMexenlives Member UncommonPosts: 42
    All I ask is that VR doesn't require me to build another PC!  (Although you know I will!)  Just finished a Skylake build. i5 6600k 16g DDR4 M.2 and RX480

As to the playerbase and time concerns.  If it is good, it will get played.  If it is good it will make money.  From there it's up to the devs to keep it going and profitable.  In many ways, once Pantheon releases, their work just begins.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Wizardry said:
    I can't speak for anyone other than myself but if a game is really good,like i mean an HONEST 8/10,i would pay 30 maybe even 40/50 a month.However there are stipulations,that money goes towards future content,you are not raking in 100 million every few months then trying to sell me that next expansion.

Then if i feel you are sitting back enjoying your new found wealth instead of working on the game,i am gone in short order.
    We can easily see why so many of these games do so well,even if they get say 3 months out of the player base at 15 a month that is an extra 45 bucks added onto the cost of the game,so that could be somewhere around 100 bucks for,pretty steep.
    True, but sadly have few MMOs been 8/10, particularly releasing the last 10 years. But fine, I would pay $30 for that as well but then that have to include everything. No charge for anything additional except large expansions. No extra charge for name changes or server moves (limit server moving to once a month but let it be included). No item shop, no DLCs or other crap. When I say everything I mean everything.

For over $30 I want all expansions included in the price, if I pay more then that I pay for all additional content as well. And 8/10 is not worth more then 30 bucks, you need at least 9/10 for that.

Also, the game needs to be fun long term, MMOs have increased short term fun but severely decreased the long term the last 10 or so years. There is really no point of having monthly fees at all for a short term game. I think that really is a large reason so many MMOs moved over to F2P. You can still make a fun long term game, heck vanilla Wow obviously succeeded even if modern Wow doesn't do as good job there, not even close. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Aori said:

The graphic vs gameplay debate is a silly one to me. Both are equally important and I place fluid animations above both. I can not stand rigid and clunky animations.
    Agreed, but for different reasons, the game-play argument is almost always touted in reference to games that had terrible game-play. It's freedom, community involvement and rulesets these folks are supporting not game play. Good Game-play is about control, combat tightness,  gaming mechanics, etc.... things like WOW take top honors in those aspects...

Not titles like EQ, EVE, DAOC, SWG etc... Most if not all of these titles had/have archaic control, simplistic mechanics (pure mob grinding, systems represented in numbers rather than coming to life or being interactive within the gameplay).. sloppy as well as clunky combat mechanics, so on so forth.  They just excelled in aspects outside of game-play, more community involvement, freeform approaches, player ownership, etc... . In many ways it's the communities that were what made those games, by making up for the lackluster game that the community held together.  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BlackOrcBlackOrc Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Vaultarn said:
    I registered here due to this poll.  Whether there was cheating or not it still created quite a bit of exposure by the looks for a few titles that perhaps weren't even talked about that much.

Lets hope the the voting was all legit, even though I voted for Pantheon.  :-)
    I'm the same, Vaultarn. I'm just happy that something on the horizon has me excited for the first time in ages.

Congratulations, Pantheon.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I must be weird but not looking forward to Pantheon. Awesome poll and very insightful

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Congratulations to VR, well deserved - it fantastic to see a games community reach out like that and show how much they back Pantheon and VR. I feel safe to say, that this community will be one I'll be enjoying playing with when finally Pantheon spreads its wings. 

A phoenix rises from the ashes! Cant wait to see what VR has for us in 2017! :) :awesome:
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Aori said:
    Kratuk said:

It's funny, because that's exactly what Pantheon is doing.
    They are trying to update Old School MMOs to modern standards.
    Maybe you were no paying attention and missed the memo.

The whole or nothing thing makes perfect sense if you are not trying to make a game that appeals to everyone, as Pantheon is doing.
    There are thousands of other MMOs which try to be Jack of all Trades, 99% of them are bland and tedious as hell.
    Maybe it's time to do something more extreme, who knows, it might even work.

• SheawannaSheawanna Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Congratz Pantheon Rise of the Fallen =)
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Well Star Citizen wasn't on the list, so the staff are obviously shills ;)  

It's ok, I get it, there probably weren't enough SC posts on here this year. I guess people will have to work harder to make people aware of it, lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Aori said:
    ste2000 said:

I'm all for niche games surviving, I really hope it works out. It is just unfortunate watching them get swallowed up by lofty goals and expectations then swept away whether I like the game or not.
    I don't get it, how did you come to that conclusion?

Pantheon has a really focused core design, not much fluff.
    Dungeons, Raids, Group content and a little bit of Crafting, that's it.
    Nothing fancy or pretentious.

Maybe you are mistaking Pantheon for CoE and its unrealistic list of features.
    VR has been very conservative so far.
    Pantheon fans asked for housing, VR said no, as it is not possible at launch (maybe later).
    So they are very realistic with their goals, they don't promise the moon just to get funding like everyone else seems to be doing at the moment.

Post edited by ste2000 on

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:

It's ok, I get it, there probably weren't enough SC posts on here this year. I guess people will have to work harder to make people aware of it, lol.

If the poll had been "Most wanted 64 player online game of 2017-2027" you'd have a point :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

If the poll had been "Most wanted 64 player online game of 2017-2027" you'd have a point :)

Yeah, but Pantheon won..... *rimshot* j/k j/k, don't hate the player. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aori said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

To be honest though, so many MMO's can't even hold 40 people in a phase anymore without severe issue. WoW server stability starts falling to pieces anytime more than 40 players pile into a phase. B&S has similar issues, BDO has the same issues during node wars. 

It has been getting worse as we go along, zones can't hold the amount of people they once could. Particularly in WoW, it really irritates me.
    I remember people telling me that the 600 or so ESO handles in their PVP zone (and it does handle it well as long as all 600 are not in the exact same place together) was nothing because BDO could handle 2000 lol. Just goes to show you how much disconnect there is between pre-release hype and post-release reality.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen at 31.8% is the most voted. The force is strong with this one... :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    So Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen at 31.8% is the most voted. The force is strong with this one... :)
    I think it shows there are more fans of the trinity system then developers think. Twitch combat was fun at first but it got old fast. 
  • CynicizmCynicizm Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Aori said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aori said:
    Kratuk said:

Well it would be a step backwards if convenience was a thing back in the day but it wasn't, it was tedium and terrible mechanics.

I know people love their nostalgia, I have my moments too but it isn't a time I miss. Now I don't know enough about Pantheon but from just at a glance it doesn't offer me anything an older game hasn't already offered.

I don't know how you can completely judge a game based on pre-alpha stuff. The game has some main points on what the gameplay will be like. If you choose based on those points you don't like it, fine, you're just limiting yourself to specific games. And some of which, as you have said before, failed.

Think of all the most recent games that have come out and flopped. ArcheAge, had some AMAZING points for the game, the farming, the land grabbing and taxing, the trading, was awesome for an MMO, what wasn't was the PVP, the lag, the massive amounts of time you had to farm to create gear that was mostly based on RNG, so you had to do more farming.

Wildstar, which I loved, was cartoony, I loved the graphics, I paid attention to the story line. I got bored after I reached max level, only logged on for raids.

SWTOR, was awesome too. The story line and the choosing your own response was awesome. Reaching max level at the time wasn't, no true endgame content, and I got to endgame way too fast.

Pantheon was not, nor will it ever be, a game for "people who don't have enough time in the day". It is a game for people who miss games that did take time. It was never about if you had enough time or not. People worked a lot when EQ came out. They still do. The only difference between then and now is the lack of patience people have. If you don't have any patience, this game is definitely not for you. But I would suggest trying it first, you might find yourself coming back to a game you still have stuff to complete in. Because that's just it, you'll always have stuff to do when you're logging in for the next year.
  • CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319
    No need to question the Pantheon votes. Pretty sure 95% of the userbase would heed the call to wash the dev teams cars and mow their lawns if asked to. 
    Sorry..I don't do cars or windows. :P
  • DarkArrowBgDarkArrowBg Member CommonPosts: 1
    Wait what happend with mu legend? It was on first place and now its 3rd or whatever it is
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Wait what happend with mu legend? It was on first place and now its 3rd or whatever it is
    Read the damn thread. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank the academy of MMORPG's for the honor of being correct in stating that MU was probably cheating, and that Pantheon was not.

To the detractors, with deference and respect, please sincerely accept this invitation to join hands with your brethren in the act of sucking my balls.