Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO- what game does it compare with the most?

2»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'd say GW2 is the closest.  

But its definitely unique.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited January 2017
    Sherwood Dungeon was ahead of its time.

Simple filler game,couple buttons to smash,no real character developement etc,just like eso.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• L3g3ndQL3g3ndQ Member CommonPosts: 1
    BACONX said:
    I have played a lot of MMOs in the last 15 to 20 Years. Jumped in and out of into Guild Wars 2, EQ2, WOW and LOTRO. ESO is the last Major MMO I have yet to try but I'm always hesitant to throw down money for something new, given the times I have been burned.  I have played other Elder Scroll games but not heavily nor am I very familiar with the lore.  So, without trying to create a pro or against discussion or a critique- I just want to know what game ESO compares to the most.  Thanks.
    ESO is exactly like SWG-NGE it uses the same engine for combat and for character creation. the only difference is that it is fantasy based instead of sci fi space... and also the graphics are better. i would not waist time or money on ESO, don't believe me wait for it to have a free weekend again on steam and check it out for your self.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    BACONX said:
    I have played a lot of MMOs in the last 15 to 20 Years. Jumped in and out of into Guild Wars 2, EQ2, WOW and LOTRO. ESO is the last Major MMO I have yet to try but I'm always hesitant to throw down money for something new, given the times I have been burned.  I have played other Elder Scroll games but not heavily nor am I very familiar with the lore.  So, without trying to create a pro or against discussion or a critique- I just want to know what game ESO compares to the most.  Thanks.
    You are lucky, it has most of the traits of the games you played.

Dungeons are similar to Vanilla WoW and EQ2, long and challenging.
    Overall feel is like GW2, game-play very intuitive and easy flowing.
    Immersion and Story line is on par with LOTRO.
    There is lots of stuff to do, only cons is that you need a subscription particularly if you want to craft, which kinda you have to in ESO (you get a Material Inventory Bag which is indispensable, your normal bag is not going to be big enough)
    I say it's well worth a try.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for all the responses.  I may just try it on a free weekend or hell just by base game and sub (since I do like crafting).  The sub will give me all of the DLC correct?  Either way, I probably will be trying soon.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'd say GW2 for the world feel and SWTOR for the voiceover work and storytelling. It's not like those but that's the closest comparisons i can think of.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    BACONX said:
    Thanks for all the responses.  I may just try it on a free weekend or hell just by base game and sub (since I do like crafting).  The sub will give me all of the DLC correct?  Either way, I probably will be trying soon.
    Yes it gives you all the DLC (and the Mats Bag).

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    ste2000 said:
    BACONX said:
    <snip>
     only cons is that you need a subscription particularly if you want to craft, which kinda you have to in ESO (you get a Material Inventory Bag which is indispensable, your normal bag is not going to be big enough)
    I say it's well worth a try.

A comment on crafting.

One Tamriel introduced a lot of new sets into the game; sets that anyone can get basically. So you don;t "need" to craft for a long time. The main skill you need is to be able to make food & drink. 

There are reasons for crafting linked to upgrading armour to the highest level - but that is when you are at "max CP" level.  
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I always compared ESO to GW2, but ESO does have the voice over stuff which can be immersive, if you're really after immersion though, I highly recommend single player rpg's like Skyrim, The Witcher, Dark Souls , those types of games let you become engaged into the story and don't distract you from the immersion like an mmorpg does, even ESO with it's voice over does not capture immersion, there is always some immersion breaking event happening, for instance why are there 20 people lined up talking to the same npc? why is that guy running around in his underwear? and why is he dancing when everyone has just been infected with a plague? Why did that guy just yell in his mic as loud as he could "F the police" and "guess what I have a 70 inch wang?" It just breaks the immersion to see and hear that sort of stuff. The voice over is cool, but single player games is where it's at if your really want to hone in on what is being said and think about it and then act upon it.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Sometimes TESO reminds me of FFXI.  The players are happier in this game.  They are not as jaded.  Plus everything feels new.  There is a supportive community.  People are not bored and like to talk in chat.  That is the PC North America tho and, eh sry consolers, we have addons that get rid of anything annoying.  I even have four addons that manage graphics and reduce lag.  Then sometimes it is like I am playing Dragon's Dogma again.  With the dark theme and dead stuff and sacrifices!  Must be sacrifices!  And sexual innuendos.  And more human sacrifices!!!  Muhahahahaa.