Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Are you going to buy the Nintendo Switch?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited January 2017 in Polls
Well, are you? Vote and tell us why in the comments below!

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I've been playing Nintendo games since I was roughly three or four years old, so with few exceptions, I tend to pick up all of its new systems. Don't know if I'll get one at launch, but I definitely plan to pick one up for the latest iteration of the usual suspects (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc.). That ARMS game looks pretty fun, too.
  • TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Leaning more towards "no" right now. From the trailers i've seen it looks like the Big N is going further down the path of the E-rating. Another Zelda game, another Mario game, another Mario Kart ... Too much of the same old things for my liking.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    No undecided option?
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No and i think judging by the multi millions Nintendo is losing every year they are banking on this or things will get ugly within.
    How can a company that just made hundreds of millions from Pokemon Go still lose billions,it really says a lot about Nintendo and their ideals,spending and overall poorly run business.
    IMO their Wii was a bad marketing approach,they seemed to aim for that "family" ideal,locking themselves out of the bigger picture.Kids don't buy games,adults buy games.

IMO as of right now,all the developers are moving away from console and PC gaming and aiming at the much bigger mobiel market,i do not see Switch helping Nintendo get out of losing money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Yes, but not at launch.

I like a lot about the Switch, and think that they have a neat idea, but I want it to be proven in the market before I jump in. They have some great games, and I'm glad they're getting rid of region locking.

I'm waiting because £280 is a bit rich, especially when I can get a console with more power for less money (or just invest in my PC. I also want to find out if the online subscription service is vital, or if you can get away without it for local play over wifi.

Once the unit's dropped in price (say 12 months from now), and has a bundle with some great games, plus there's a group of friends on it, then I might consider diving in.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Had Nintendo consoles since the NES... 
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited January 2017
    Yes but I also understand that I'm not the average consumer. If I wasn't involved in games media I probably would not. I'm cautiously optimistic but there are plenty of red flags already. It's going to take A LOT for me to buy a third party title on the Switch that isn't an exclusive. 

Why would I buy FIFA for the Switch and not the PS4? They need to answers questions like that.

How will the system handle hot swapping internal memory so I can play my downloaded games and not have to rely on an external HD?

How janky will they premium online system be? They need Trophies and Social features like MS and Sony have.

etc... etc...

But Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, upgrade Mario Kart 8, Mario, Dragon Quest XI, Project OCTOPATH TRAVELER, Fire Emblem Warrior; that's enough for me to warrant buying the system.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    No.
    Generally I don't like the games the Nintendo Consoles offer.
    But I think it's a great alternative to the other 2, which are very similar to each other.

I hope it does well, but I liked the WII concept more, I think it had a broader appeal than Switch.
    But let's see how it goes, I might be wrong.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Already pre ordered. Don't have a Wii U, and I have kids. And the Zelda game looks way too good to miss. So 350$ Zelda machine? Sure. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Not immediately, but eventually.

I'll wait until the 2DS slimmed down version that doesn't undock so you have to take your TV everywhere with you
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    edited January 2017
    IMO Nintendo makes inferior consoles compared to SONY and Mickey$oft (Preferring Playstation over Xbox because I'm a jRPG lover ;) ) and they add way too many weird gimmicks to their consoles at the same time. With that, the 'in house' titles (Pokemon, Mario and to some extend Zelda) are not my style and (IMO once again) more aimed at a 10s to 20s age range...
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I voted yes but I'm gonna have to persuade my wife, I think i'll drop hints in the spring. Wish me luck.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Reizla said:
    IMO Nintendo makes inferior consoles compared to SONY and Mickey$oft (Preferring Playstation over Xbox because I'm a jRPG lover ;) ) and they add way too many weird gimmicks to their consoles at the same time. With that, the 'in house' titles (Pokemon, Mario and to some extend Zelda) are not my style and (IMO once again) more aimed at a 10s to 20s age range...
    Never cant enough Mario I love it, also Zelda. Multi player games like mario party with my wife and kids!

• JakkssJakkss Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Like everything else I have in my household, I need it for my video game collection. As for gameplay value and performance, I have a feeling it's going to be the PSVita flop of NA. I don't expect much to happen with Nintendo anymore.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited January 2017
    No.  I had the older Nes and Snes, really liked rpg back then, but  kinda lost touch with nintendo after the rpg seemed to switch to sony.

That said not going to buy a 300$ system that will collect dust after playing one or two game that might look interesting.

Dunno but seems very gimmicky for a "console".

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I have absolutely zero interest in it as a "portable" product. I don't need a portable gaming device anymore. However, seeing that it will have the next Mario game, and the next Zelda game, I will likely end up getting it because I enjoy their games.

That being said, Nintendo really needs to stop with the "gimmicks" and just get back to making a good console. The Wii was "fun" but had no lasting power really, and the Wii U was just silly. This is going in the same direction.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I wanted. But todays reveal was very disappointing for me.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I wanted. But todays reveal was very disappointing for me.
    What about it was disappointing?
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I do not buy handhelds, they're so uncomfortable to look at. :(
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    No. I loved my NES, SNES, and N64, but since then I haven't seen the appeal.
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Yes for sure. I like the feature set and it is a very nice console for letting the family watch netflix or surf on the big screen.

We currently use our WiiU about 50/50 for mario kart and streaming. Plus let's face it. The kidult in me is drooling over the new Zelda. I want to love it, I need to love it!

Cheers,
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Voted No but my youngest loves Nintendo so may have to get one next Christmas.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Unless its a complete flop, I will grab one.  If the system is easily hackable and able to play games outside of Nindendo's ecosystem, I'll grab one early in its life.  If not, I'll probably hold out till a good library has been built up.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Nah, I ll just build a new rig and get the Scorpio. Every Nintendo I get is cool at first, then just sits in a closet until I trade it in for PS or XBOX games.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    This is likely to be the first Nintendo console I will not buy at launch and likely will not own.  The only thing that will change this is price including a reduced price of games.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file