Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for Starting Out in Star Wars: Force Arena - Not So MMO at MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTips for Starting Out in Star Wars: Force Arena - Not So MMO at MMORPG.com

Last week, we wrote about an addicting new Star Wars game called Star Wars: Force Arena. We noted that the game was still in soft launch at the time, but the game has since released worldwide on Android and iOS, so this week we’re back with some tips for starting out in the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited January 2017
    downloaded and did tutorial- so far so good!

blizzard is missing out on the mobile franchise with a diablo 3 or SC2 one- sad.

UPDATE- now at level 6, tier 1 still, i feel the game is a huge money grab and the same 2 heroes keep getting matched in 2 vs 2- gets boring really fast with the lack of heroes available...oh lets not talk about the OP ones {looking at you luke} Ive been having alot more fun with star wars heroes gaming app.
    Post edited by orbitxo on
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    @orbitxo I'm betting a Warcraft microRTS would be more up their alley. Though people waiting for WC4 would be PISSSSSSED.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Bill Murphy. You are a legend and I have been with you since the start even tough my membership says 7 years- I respect you for creating this amazing site. But this article reeks of paid sponsorship.

Can you please tag that in the article for the future.

:) <3

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Mensur said:

Bill Murphy. You are a legend and I have been with you since the start even tough my membership says 7 years- I respect you for creating this amazing site. But this article reeks of paid sponsorship.

Can you please tag that in the article for the future.

:) <3</div>

It's not. I'm enjoying the game and I'm sharing some tips. Imagine that!
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    @Mensur It's a MMO.. get off your high horse, create an MMO website, and see how much you make. Sheesh. I regret to say I bought $10 worth of gems and got Jyn (that new girl) and IG-88 (who I can't use).
    If Mike didn't, I might have. Fun mobile game is fun.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Im having alot of fun with this as well, Gonna be hard to keep up with this and clash royale lol
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    ..thanks Disney
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If I could play all of these Android games on my computer I would but can't so I don't.
  • M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Great game so far, having a lot of fun!
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

BruceYee said:

If I could play all of these Android games on my computer I would but can't so I don't.

Bluestacks or alternative makes this rather easy.

BruceYee said:

I play on both my iPad and PC. AMIDuOS is my favorite Android emulator.
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    The game is terrible. Tried it for about 6 hours....couldn't play it anymore.

A.) It's majorly P2W. I mean, certain tiers of booster pack are about $20 a pack......

B.) There is no balance at all. Certain champions are just flat out superior....and then there's Luke...who's about 10 tiers above Tier S lol. He can easily kill your entire hand plus your hero due to his passive being near game breaking.

Pass on this one unless you like spending hundreds of dollars to play the same champions as everyone else.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I wasn't even going to look at it, until Bill said it was worth doing so. Thanks man, as always.

Joined - July 2004

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Bill put me onto Battlerite so i might give this a look too!  :)

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Played it for about 1 hour. It's fun, but it's p2w. Not planning on playing it any longer.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Can we get an Obsidian Entertainment Star Wars game, at least there's a chance that one would be good.

A.) It's majorly P2W. I mean, certain tiers of booster pack are about $20 a pack......

B.) There is no balance at all. Certain champions are just flat out superior....and then there's Luke...who's about 10 tiers above Tier S lol. He can easily kill your entire hand plus your hero due to his passive being near game breaking.

Pass on this one unless you like spending hundreds of dollars to play the same champions as everyone else.

It's actually probably one of the most generous mobile games I've played. You don't need to buy those packs, as the article explains, they are not very efficient. The game gives you a significant amount of resources *and* most of the leaders simply through doing the missions.

If you do spend any money, it should be to buy credits. It's also actually fairly well balanced right now, with the exception of the Gigoran Rebel unit and, arguably, Cassian Andor (leader). I see a ton of leader diversity and I'm in tier 4 (almost tier 5). Luke is strong, but hardly oppressive. I've killed many a "Suicide Luke" trying to beeline for my tower.

Looking at the top 10 players right now you have: Palpatine, Thrawn, Han, Krennic, Sabine, Bodhi, Thrawn, Luke, Fett, and Sabine. That's quite a bit of diversity right there, with only two leaders appearing twice. I really don't think playing the game for six hours is long enough to make the sorts of assertions laid out here. I tend to dismiss mobile games out of hand because they often put monetizing the user over gameplay, but this is definitely not one of those games, and that's a huge reason I've been playing it as much as I have.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    edited January 2017
    Ikeda said:
    @Mensur It's a MMO.. get off your high horse, create an MMO website, and see how much you make. Sheesh. I regret to say I bought $10 worth of gems and got Jyn (that new girl) and IG-88 (who I can't use).
      I am high on weed..but do not have a horse..:) Well If there was a donation button on the homepage I would give mmorpg 50 dollar a month to skip paid content aka non MMORPG content. :-)

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621
    MikeB said:

It's actually probably one of the most generous mobile games I've played. You don't need to buy those packs, as the article explains, they are not very efficient. The game gives you a significant amount of resources *and* most of the leaders simply through doing the missions.

If you do spend any money, it should be to buy credits. It's also actually fairly well balanced right now, with the exception of the Gigoran Rebel unit and, arguably, Cassian Andor (leader). I see a ton of leader diversity and I'm in tier 4 (almost tier 5). Luke is strong, but hardly oppressive. I've killed many a "Suicide Luke" trying to beeline for my tower.

Looking at the top 10 players right now you have: Palpatine, Thrawn, Han, Krennic, Sabine, Bodhi, Thrawn, Luke, Fett, and Sabine. That's quite a bit of diversity right there, with only two leaders appearing twice. I really don't think playing the game for six hours is long enough to make the sorts of assertions laid out here. I tend to dismiss mobile games out of hand because they often put monetizing the user over gameplay, but this is definitely not one of those games, and that's a huge reason I've been playing it as much as I have.
    Been playing for a couple days now, finally to Tier 3, Durasteel. Gotta say, I am having fun. That being said, Luclinraider is not exactly wrong.

On the first point, it is very P2W, but honestly, you dont play a game like this and expect it not to be. A game that is 100% based on PVP and micro-transactions really cant be anything other than P2W. Even if you arent buying packs, and just playing, it takes thousands of credits to upgrade units, a Leader from level 1 to 2 is 11k alone. It takes about 10 minutes to get your 4 packs you are allowed, and 8 hours to open them. So there really is no point in continuing to play. Buying credits gives you enormous advantage over other players, and you likely will struggle in the lowest tiers as a free player. Also, you do not earn xp from playing, your player level (which controls how strong your turrets and base are) is directly tied to how much you upgrade your units, as you earn xp from upgrading them. You can also buy individual cards for credits from the shop, which in turn uprgades your units, which gives you xp, and makes you stronger.

On the second note however, Luke actually isnt very good at all. Once you get out of Tier 1 you probably wont encounter anyone using him, or it will be one in about 30 matches. Most ranged Leaders have a large advantage, and heroes like Palpatine, Lando Calrission, Fett, and others are repeated in the leaderboards. Vader is one of the few melee heroes to be any good. All of that is irrelevant of course with the previous point, as someone who pays will win (they will be higher level, have stronger units, and turrets and base will have higher HP), so does it really matter at that point?

Anyways, im still playing, not having put a dime into the game. But pretty much stuck at tier 3 or 4, at least until the cashers all move up to the top to battle it out with each other. As long as you do not plan to actually win many of your matches, or hope to compete at the top level, you can enjoy the game.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited January 2017
    Ill stick with Summoners War, it's the only mobile game that playing F2P is actually an option. Its a monster collecting RPG game (think Pokemon) with a solo campaign, dungeons, arena, guild wars, and some end game raids which are extremely challenging. The graphics and art style are top notch as well.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    Am I the only one playing Leia a lot? I got her Unique too, and it's working really well for me. Boba Fett feels weak as hell to me.

My Review Manifesto

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This game is surprisingly fun.  I don't even like Moba games normally (besides the occasional Smite). So I went into this game apprehensive tbh.  It turns out being a really fun game that you should try out if you have a tablet.  Never tried it on a phone.  So I can't give an opinion on that.

This game offers a lot for nothing up front.  Yes it's P2W like most mobile F2P games.  But I'm having a lot of fun so far and haven't spent a dime.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Am I the only one playing Leia a lot? I got her Unique too, and it's working really well for me. Boba Fett feels weak as hell to me.
    Right now I enjoy playing the emperor and Sabine.  Both seem very strong and both are really fun to play.  I just got Boba Fett yesterday and have to agree Bill.  He just doesn't even come close to Sabine in damage and etc. imo.