Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHAT MMORPG TO PLAY IN 2017?

tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48
What the hell is everyone playing nowadays?

I've been trying to find a new MMORPG to call home, but I just can't seem to find a good one to stick with... I feel like I've played all of the "big" ones, but any suggestions would be worthwhile.

~~~~~~~~~~

World of Warcraft - played it to death, have tried to give it another go but lose interest quickly. Nothing is new about this game anymore.

FFXIV - People say it's good. I gave it a go, but it still looks like the game from 10 years ago... would maybe consider giving it another chance.

Wildstar - Rather disappointing

GW2 - Personally don't think it's a good game

Secret Life - Never tried it, but have read a lot of reviews about the crappy combat, etc.

LOTRO - Gave it another whirl, horribly uninteresting

RIFT - Only ever leveled a character to like ~20, would consider giving it another go if it's populated.

ESO - Tried playing, didn't catch my interest. Would give it another go if I'm missing something here.

~~~~~~~~~~

Anything else people? I'm not looking for the perfect MMORPG, just something good that can hold my interest for a while and doesn't look like a game with 10 year old graphics.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2016
    FFXIV looks like its a game from a decade ago? I'll admit the game has a lot of issues, but graphics is definitely not one of them...

Doesn't help that you're not exactly saying what you're interested in to better help people give you something you might like.

Or actually try the games you're "thinking about trying" and say what you (in specific) you do not like about them.
    d_20
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Eve online is what I will be playing. I suggest playing more than one game. Mmorps suck at PvP, but mobas are good. So play eve online and heroes of the storm :)
    Maestrelis
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited December 2016
    I must uphold the tradition!

d_20

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    What do you do in MMO's?  PvP, Crafting, PvE, grouping, solo, short sessions, marathons???

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    ITs The Secret World and yes it is terrible combat and animations...Dont waste your money there.
  • tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I love questing and leveling in a game (I know I'm probably a minority here). I don't care too much about end-game, sitting their raiding or anything like that.

The thing that I stuck with for WoW all those years was that I loved rerolling characters, and leveling them up in the world. Exploring, etc. 

So combat has to be fun, leveling has to be fun. I don't like overly "cinematic" games where every NPC is like having to watch a mini-movie dialogue. 

Open World PvP is also fun.

I basically want a world that feels alive and fun to play in...

@Octagon7711 I'd like to be able to play in long marathon/stints and not get bored. Something to really grab my attention again. 
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    maybe try back archeage news server with 3.0 who have releases 2 days ago??

they have remove some bad stuft from the cash shop and imo even if that last only 1 or 2 months you can enjoy the games until they make it p2win again.

fresh server, the experience with archeage realy good and it realy do feel like a real mmorpg world.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    You really should  try Secret World.  I listened to people and can tell you my experience was quite different.  I am glad I tried it and decided for myself rather than taking someone else's word for it.  
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Black Desert is the one missing from your list for new major releases.
    d_20
    Cleffy said:
    Black Desert is the one missing from your list for new major releases.
    I thought about giving it a try, but wasn't sure about it. It seems okay.

I think I might try games that I haven't played yet before returning to ones I have already tried.

Probably will give Archeage 3.0 a try. Then maybe BDO or Secret World. Not sure what else is out there that I haven't at least tried yet.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    Playing On and Off:
    -Age of Conan
    -GW2
    -ESO
    -B&S

i would love to go back to BDO but they wont get to enjoy my presence/money unless they release the ip block or open a global server i can move to.

• LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
    wich ever one offers PvP and isnt some instanced bullshit like we been seeing .... my eyes are on games that probably wont make it out in 2017  Crowfall might tide me over till CoE
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    You've got Crowfall coming out hopefully in 2017. I'll be giving that a go until Camelot Unchained and City of Titans is released.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Save yourself the headache; everything out right now is either too mature for new players to stand a snowball's chance of Hell in (EVE, ESO, LotR, etc), or just outright sucks.
    I know, it's tough... I think I need to find a good community to join within a game. That way I'll probably stick with it long enough to really enjoy it. 

I think the toughest thing about trying new MMO's is that you're doing it "alone". Making it even more "bleh".

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd suggest trying LotRO if you haven't.  Just on the off chance that something happens that would cause this game to close down.  (legal threats to the control of the IP, Daybreak turning evil (eviler?). etc.)

Despite the older graphics, LotRO is worth an extensive try.
    d_20

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    tgoodspe said:

Probably will give Archeage 3.0 a try. Then maybe BDO or Secret World. Not sure what else is out there that I haven't at least tried yet.

Try BDO first, there is a 7 day trial.
    It's very similar to Archeage but the Cash Shop is less invasive.

d_20

• unbeatinunbeatin Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited January 2017
     Revelations online, join a gaming community like ours, here is our discord. Being multigame you never start or play a game "alone". Were currently in ESO, LiF MMO, BDO and waiting on the next Revelations CBT Jan 19th. 

https://discord.gg/BENJv

Find our community here, I think a community is key. NOT guild hoppers with the solo mindset which is exactly why things have turned terrible. Make it more about enjoying and winning with friends and less about your very specific hard to satisfy expectations. Enjoy what it has not battle what you believe it should be until you quit. I know personally I stay longer, play harder and have many more laughs with this group. 

We been gaming 15+ years, feel free to PM too. We are looking to grow and create a community of gamers for many more years to come. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2017
    Wildstar, ESO, WoW, SWTOR, GW2 and Rift are what I consider the best MMOs available (in no order) so if you haven't given any of those a proper try then I'd recommend you do.

But.. you sound like you need a break from MMOs. Check out all the awesome single player RPGs you've probably been missing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fubarbox1fubarbox1 Member UncommonPosts: 27

If you want to say a game looks a decade old, look at Eq2! That said, I have been playing MMOs way too long, so long that it annoys me that everything is labeled an MMO these days. I have tried almost every mainstream game that has come out. Some I enjoyed and played for a long time, others were flops, and then some were great, but I could not connect with. I just started playing FFXIV again and I must say the game is gorgeous and I am having fun. If I was not playing FFXIV right now and wanted fun PVE, I would recommend Eg2, Secret World, ESO, and SWTOR to myself. Each has their own issues and things I like. If you’re curious on my opinions of them, read below:

FFXIV: Like the game, like the story. Too much reading, the world feels too sectioned and small due to fast travel and zone design, even though it is big. I am not yet 50 so that may change. Very heavily a PVE question experience game, which I love. The marketplace system sucks though, but then the developers seem really invested in this and always making things better.

Secret World: Played at launch and tried again recently. I want to love this. Even though they made the lower levels easier (mobs and quests), it is still very enjoyable PVE content. I just hate the combat/skill system. I can never figure out how to build a character that I enjoy and is also viable. Seems like the weapons I like are not the meta. A new skill system or a better understanding of the current one and I would play this in a heartbeat. Great PVE content.

ESO: Love the graphics, Love the PVE content, Love that they fixed a lot of the launch issues. I hate the class system. Every class doing everything and every class doing everything by specking either magik or Stamina as well proved too much for me. I could never figure out what to play for group content and that lost feeling killed the game for me. I also hate that you need to keep different skills on your bars so that those areas level as you level. I would play this again with better understanding so I do not feel lost; it is a top notch game.

WOW: The only game I played longer was Everquest 1. I played this for 4 years and I loved it (also love Eq1). It has a ton of content, but like you, I cannot get into it any more. I almost re-subbed and bought Legion, but after a free trail (had account reactivated) I could not get into it, so I passed. It makes me sad, but I think my WOW days are just burnt out.

EQ2: If you want PVE this is a good game and I played this just a tiny bit less than WOW. I just got tired of having 40 skills to press and it looks pretty aged now and empty.

GW2: I really like the game in short bursts, but it quickly becomes too repetitive for me and every little thing is a crazy grind, with very little return. It looks great though and I do have a ton of fun with it, but only in 1 to 2 month stretches.

LOTRO: Never got past 25. I tried multiple times and the game systems made me lose interest. It has been years since I tried last and I do not think I will again.

Rift: I liked the game but its negatives killed it for me. World felt too cookie cutter, I disliked the multi-class system, when I have went back it feels empty, and over all the game just feels like it has no soul. You either get what I mean by that or you don’t.

Wildstar: I was very excited for this and loved the marketing. The game made me feel like I was having a constant seizure. Overall I was super disappointed.

BDO: No real PVE content that is satisfying, Gear looks basically the same from 1 to max unless you buy it for crazy prices, killing mobs feels good, and I hear PVP is fun, but it’s a job of a grind to keep up with. Also, way too much RNG. It does look gorgeous though.

SWTOR: Great PVE, Fun PVP Arenas, and Enjoyable story.  Design made it so that even at launch, the game almost always feels empty. The game seems like it has gotten even easier since launch (not good). I hate the space station hub. I do love the classes and combat though. 

EVE: I have tried it more than once and I know people love it, but it just makes me bored. I am happy that the people that like it have it though!

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    My ArcheAge afterlife is terrible.
    On one hand no other game offers -that- depht when it comes to sanboxing, on the other hand its so heavy RNG that you constantly see your hours invested going pooof, or your money. Depends on what youre willing to spend.
    RNG trolled me so hard that i completely gave up my virtual life there.

Then there was nothing.
    No game could peak my interrest, the ones too theatre, the others too cheap, too ugly or missing this or that.

At the moment, im playing Star Citizen.
    The 2.6 is good enuff to get out there, explore the Yela belt or kill folx in Kareah or or or, but its still not a game.

Is there any other game out, where i am not a spaceship and my my beautiful looking char in a even more beauty world can enjoy some kind of freedom ?

I could even throw stones in ArcheAge, there is no effing other game like that.
    That keeps me in my Linux hole, coding lumberyard n00b shit, lol

• HushBlushHushBlush Member UncommonPosts: 37
    upcoming lineage 2 for mobile this june 2017 been waiting for it since it was launched in korean version.  as of now im playing forsaken world mobile, legend of ninetails and ro journey just to relieve out stress and busy schedule :) 

Let's Play Ragnarok Journey
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    BDO, Secret World an SWTOR are all worthy games to give a go.  BDO is pretty cheap ATM and the others free to play I believe.  Without knowing more about your preferences, it's hard to steer you, bit those three have different qualities that I like and don't care for.  Worth a gander.  Just getting back into BDO on steam.

I self identify as a monkey.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    BDO is a solid game. If it wasn't for the forced PvP I may still be playing it today. It takes a bit of adjustment though. The beginning is somewhat overwhelming and I suggest researching several things before getting started.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited June 2017
    tgoodspe said:
    Secret Life - Never tried it, but have read a lot of reviews about the crappy combat, etc.
    RIFT - Only ever leveled a character to like ~20, would consider giving it another go if it's populated.

You must have gotten Second Life, and The Secret World messed up there lol. I don't have any games to add other than the ones that were already mentioned. These threads are created so often, so to answer your question of what we all are playing, most of us are playing the old stuff until something better comes along.

If you decide on Rift, hopefully, you were able to get the free expansion pack. I would revisit Rift, if so. I'm currently playing Tera, but all my characters are at max level, and I feel like I'm running out of things to do there.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis