Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Grandpa and his Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Video Podcast

2»

Comments

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77

SBFord said:

My dad, who passed away right after Christmas, played Diablo and Diablo 2 up to the day before he died. He was 86. Weirdly, it was he who introduced me to the former that led to this glamorous career. Gaming transcends generations :)

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Get him into ESO, with one tamriel/ the questing/ the pvp/ the housing update coming soon. can't go wrong.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

SBFord said:

Nanfoodle said:

SBFord said:

My dad, who passed away right after Christmas, played Diablo and Diablo 2 up to the day before he died. He was 86. Weirdly, it was he who introduced me to the former that led to this glamorous career. Gaming transcends generations :)

My condolences =-\

Thank you so much. He lived a full, active life and was totally "with it" to the end, dying in his sleep. Though I'll miss him, I am richer for knowing him. 

I really believe playing online games regularly keeps your brain working and your mind sharp.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I think gradually attitudes towards gamers are changing and it doesnt carry the stigma it once did. Im 35 and still playing games every day. I hope im still playing when im this guys age too :)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Like a Boss!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I love guys like this. And truth be told he will never find a game like AC. When you have been loyal to a game that long nothing will compare. And he did say he tried other games and they were crap to him. And i'm willing to bet he would hate the newer games because the communities in them today just suck. I wouldn't want to put my grandpa through any of that. Man he's the kind of guy i would love to game with. No freaking drama just gaming for fun.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I think he will have long left this world by the time any games of real substance hit the market again.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• StelawratStelawrat Member UncommonPosts: 7

Torval said:

Project Gorgon is a game he should check out.  http://www.projectgorgon.com/

It's made by a small team headed by Eric Heimburg who worked on Asheron's Call. It is a skill based community driven game. The graphics aren't fancy but the game play is great.

It can be played for free right now. The game is in development and will be heading to Steam Early Access at which time I think the free part will close. It's free right now because it's not done and that's how Eric is running development and testing. They plan on charging an up front box fee and an optional subscription.

I've never played Asheron’s Call, but as Torval nicely summarizes there, Project: Gorgon is a great game, which I really enjoyed playing in its very earliest stages. Haven't played it in awhile, but bet that it's even more engaging now. Plus, there's the added benefit of watching the game come to life, developing into something really interesting & unique, taking into account player feedback as well. I'll be 65 this summer btw. Us boomers are out there in massive numbers. ;)

All the best to this Grandpa. o/
  • StelawratStelawrat Member UncommonPosts: 7

SBFord said:

It sounds like you two had a loving relationship & happy that you had him in your life for a good long time. May he RIP. o/
  • CaeruleiCaerulei Member UncommonPosts: 33
    As others have said, project Gorgon would be a great alternative. A richly deep game with pre-WoW design excellence.
  • inkStechinkStech Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited January 2017
    FFXIV, closest title to the old school game play he will know and love. Also is much harder in almost all aspects vs other mmorpgs out there in today's market. FFXIV is a massive game with a huge living community. I noticed people posting games that are honestly dead or hold an extremely low player base. He deserves better. FFXIV It continues to stay subscription ($14.99mo) so no f2p bullshat. IMO he will love it.
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    that's ME IN SO MANY WAYS . I cant find a good game since eq2 went pay to win and free to play. That is you can play for free but cant wear any of the loot or carry or sell anything. And I hope to be playing with my grand kids. And my oldest is 13 so. Lets hope that something comes out that will last more than a few months. I don't mind subscriptions. Cash only ruins the game.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    He`s playing since 1999 and is an adult since i don't know when, he should be capable of picking a new game by himself, or with his grandkids.

Not that it is not allowed to do a video about it and post it on Youtube or whatever, i just think people should try that first. My dad does play too, and he does know which he wants to play once i show him some games, but he still relies on getting a handful of choices pointed out, instead of typing "games like xyz" into Google himself or checking out the recommendations Steam etc. give you anyways.

While i don't really mind doing so, he could simply look himself and play immediately, instead of having to wait until we both got time to really talk about it.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2017
    Don't forget to count the age as a lot of the newer MMO are not a sit back and relax games or counting in people at older ages. Asheron's Call was very uniqne in its combat system it didn't push people to spam there keyboard, or keep a key in time, or some complex combo system for pve many MMO are not like that this Days. MMO that many may think it may work for him, but may end up getting him self locked out do the a skill level gap at end game.
    Post edited by zaberfangx on
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    My dad was more of a console person, he loved Combat and Sea Battle on the Atari, and used to watch us play games in the arcade. He was diagnosed with ALS in January 2014 and died in April 2014. ALS sucks.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited January 2017
    In about 30 years from now half of the old folks homes gonna whine why they cant stay up and play MMOs. Gaming is a hobby, It's not age related.
  • AtrayoAtrayo Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Hi All,

All of us that are gamers are kids at heart that never fully grew up. I'm in my mid 40's myself and as many senior gamers come into their twilight years. Whether they are new or veterans to this hobby will soon find the aspect of a quasi-sense of control in regards to their game avatars comforting. Since the outside world for various reasons will seem distant to them but a good game gives them a sense of peace and the local community of gamers around them. Dare I say they've nested with a game and the longtime friends for many years with fellow gamers found in that one game world as an MMO or guild.

----------------------
    The Older Gamers

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    edited January 2017
    That is one other thing that the recent games lack -- the world.  Not the game world, but players from England, Australia, etc.  Servers have become localized and the games are far less forgiving of poor ping rates.  I remember when 300 was a good ping.  Now 300 would be horrid.  As a result you have a much more regional group of people to play the games with.

I am cut off from some of my earlier gaming friends by this.