Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are thinking about trying this game.....

jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
Do it.

Push pass all of the things that are making you not like it (I know they exist because I had to push pass them too).

Push pass the learning curve (it took me like 18 levels with no googling just to feel like I halfway knew what I was doing).

Socialize.  It's a social game.  And I don't mean just sitting in General chat and running your mouth either.  I mean linking up your quests in order to get others to come help you with them.  I mean walking up to people and just saying hello.  I can see that there is an obvious void in this game and others (maybe because of so many of the now automated features that take those requirements out of the hands of the players) of people who are willing to just get to know other people, but in this game it is almost imperative that you pull up your grown up pants and stop being all shy and get out there and mingle.  You will have a much better time if you do.

And then come back here in about 20 levels and let me know what you thought.

I've been playing this game casually now for about 3 weeks and I've really been enjoying it.  In fact, I've been enjoying it so much that I've noticed my playtime increasing and that old feeling of wanting to get in the game, a feeling that I don't think I've had with the last two MMORPG's that I've played, returning.

I'm guessing that after that initial 20 levels or so, your only real complaint is going to be that more people aren't playing.  And that's why I came here to post this post.

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Wish you the best in trying to get people to play but sorry the combat is a no go for me.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2017
    I can't push pass all the things that make me not like this game. I left at around lvl 30.

The overall combat system, and the extremely limited class design (and class mechanics) are the two things that totally destroyed this game for me.

How can i get past these two major flaws when they also happen to be the things I would be using the entire game?

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    - played it til level 21
    - took 3 hours to queue for a dungeon.
    - wasnt able to dodge 1 red telegraph and whole party cursed the fuck outta me then kicked me out
    - ?????

Uninstalled

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    - played it til level 21
    - took 3 hours to queue for a dungeon.
    - wasnt able to dodge 1 red telegraph and whole party cursed the fuck outta me then kicked me out
    - ?????

Uninstalled
    The game didn't flop without a reason.

And I like the humor theme in this game, but I don't like themepark MMOs, and especially not raiding, and this was just another one like so many.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I tried, I have a couple of 50s and a bunch of other alts. Can't push through the combat. It's fine when you are playing alone. It's a joke in a 40man raid or in PvP. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    The combat is just so awful.. I cannot recommend this game at all.

The classes play the exact same way at lvl 10 as they do at cap. Very repetitive combat (2 or 3 spells/attacks you ever use at the most) with a small hotbar. 
    The telegraphs become so zergy in pvp to where it is just a button mashing contest.

I did like the raids/dungeons, but the boss fights are all about watching the ground for red circles and boxes, that got old fast.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• rumtumtumrumtumtum Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Thanks guys because I bought this game at launch and left like again at relaunch at lvl 18 I get a nagging feeling I should return. However reading this I think I'll give it a miss.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Wildstar was complete dog poop. What is annoying about a lot of game developers, and I understand to a degree, is that they ignore almost all suggestions. Their action combat was awful from the get-go. People complained that it lacked tactile response - everything felt floaty and meaningless. Whether you like or hate TERA, the combat was excellent. You actually had legitimate feedback when you hit enemies.

Wildstar was just boring and not fun. Questing was awful. Combat was awful. It's one of the few MMORPG's that I know, for sure, I'll never try ever again.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    I'm still digging it.  Actually got a few friends to check it out also and they are digging it as well.  Sorry for you guys that tried it and didn't like it.  It happens though.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    At this point i dont see Wildstar getting another influx of people. Its had 2 chances to be something special and both times they ignored player feedback and didnt change anything that was causing people to leave.

Kunai_Vax said:
    At this point i dont see Wildstar getting another influx of people. Its had 2 chances to be something special and both times they ignored player feedback and didnt change anything that was causing people to leave.

I don't know.  Maybe all of this time they've just been waiting for their actual target audience to find them.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who has had more experience with the game than me though because your experience is your experience and my experience is mine.

Plus arguing is how you end up shooting yourself in the foot and I'm not going to get all gung ho about this game just to prove a point just so that when I do hit that eventual thing that causes me to put it down, I then have to come back to these forums and talk about how I was "all wrong" and how I got fooled again.

Right now I am new to the game and I am having fun and I am surprised that I am having fun because, due to the way it was marketed and the way that it looked in those advertisements, I did not think that it was going to be what it turned out to be.  That's pretty much all I can say at this point though and all I am going to say.

The game is still relatively new in the product life-cycle of the average MMO and since it hasn't gone 100% money grab or 100% easy button or any of those other things that other titles have done in the past that have totally alienated them from their base, I still have hopes.

I didn't just fall of the truck either though and so we will see.

I don't think it's fair to call it soup just yet though.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    They should put it on consoles. 

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I didn't mind the combat and the questing parts, even the cartoon artstyle was okay for me. What bothered me the most was the humorous, casual tone of the game. Not that I dislike casual games, but Wildstar to me is neither funny nor even lively as it is supposed to be. It's like a lousy comedian who tries too hard too make the audience like him. The game just doesn't seem to take itself seriously.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    yeah , i tried 4 times or so ....and no dice , dont like the combat / classes , and thats a killer in a mmorpg.

I didn't mind the combat and the questing parts, even the cartoon artstyle was okay for me. What bothered me the most was the humorous, casual tone of the game. Not that I dislike casual games, but Wildstar to me is neither funny nor even lively as it is supposed to be. It's like a lousy comedian who tries too hard too make the audience like him. The game just doesn't seem to take itself seriously.
    I think the humor in this game is meant to be ironically funny not actually funny.

Just think "Protostar" = Blizzard and it starts to make you giggle a little bit more.  Not because it's funny but because it's "funny" you know what I mean?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    jesad said:
    Do it.

Push pass all of the things that are making you not like it (I know they exist because I had to push pass them too).

Push pass the learning curve (it took me like 18 levels with no googling just to feel like I halfway knew what I was doing).

Socialize.  It's a social game.

I tried to play this game twice, once at launch and once 6 months ago when I took a break from BDO.  And when I play a game I don't do it casually, so I gave it a serious go.
    The results weren't much different from the first time I played it.

1) This is the less charming MMO I ever played in my life. Art-style is way too wacky, I didn't care for any of my character or even the main story.
    2) The first half of the game is way too casual and tedious as fuck, zero challenge, awful quests (and I mean awful).
    3) Never managed to get to the interesting part of the game (Raiding) because of Number 2, so I can't comment on End Game.
    4) Quests are the most boring things I ever played, ever! They tried to make it original, they made it worst.
    Very gimmicky, too weird, some were more like mini-games (hated it, I just wanna kill stuff!) it's like the game is trying to take the piss all the time, it felt like playing a Micky Mouse game, not for me.
    5) Anti-social. Don't know why the OP think this game is social, as I never had to group for anything and never had to use the Chat. Very lonely experience. (Maybe it gets more Social at end game?)

What Carabine did is to unashamedly copy WoW and make it even more casual, more wacky, but failing to replicate the same charm.
    Some people say that the end game is hardcore, with difficult Raids, which is what I look for in a game.
    It's a shame I had  to go through a long tedious leveling process before getting to that,  and I am not ashamed to admit it, Wildstar is the only MMO that beat me (by boring me to death, beating even WAR).

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    By this late a date, anyone who had even the slightest bit of interest in Wildstar, has likely tried it, and either liked it and stayed, or left and uninstalled, there is no advertising campaign that could change the fate of the game, its a known factor and whatever player base the game has now, is likely as good as it is ever going to be, if its not enough then there really isn't anything that can be done short of taking the game down and having a 'do over', though i seriously doubt that they would be willing to risk throwing more money at the game, i rather suspect they would rather shut it down than take that gamble. :o
    jesad said:
    Kunai_Vax said:

I don't know.  Maybe all of this time they've just been waiting for their actual target audience to find them.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who has had more experience with the game than me though because your experience is your experience and my experience is mine.

Plus arguing is how you end up shooting yourself in the foot and I'm not going to get all gung ho about this game just to prove a point just so that when I do hit that eventual thing that causes me to put it down, I then have to come back to these forums and talk about how I was "all wrong" and how I got fooled again.

Right now I am new to the game and I am having fun and I am surprised that I am having fun because, due to the way it was marketed and the way that it looked in those advertisements, I did not think that it was going to be what it turned out to be.  That's pretty much all I can say at this point though and all I am going to say.

The game is still relatively new in the product life-cycle of the average MMO and since it hasn't gone 100% money grab or 100% easy button or any of those other things that other titles have done in the past that have totally alienated them from their base, I still have hopes.

I played it in beta and stuck with it all the way to f2p and then many months after that. 
    I understand fully why so many left. I always felt this game could have really been the WoW killer but they never listened to feedback and got so many things wrong. Their design in general was uninspired at best.
    BUT despite this i had a really great time on my server. For a while after the f2p launch it had a new population and it was one of the most social experiences i have had in many years in an MMO. 

I admire your positivity, i was you once. But you have to remember that when they launched this game, it had a HUGE player base and they kept having to make new servers to accommodate everyone that wanted to play. Players were giving the same general feedback regarding combat and quests etc just like people in this thread .. and non of it was addressed. The player base gradually died off until almost no-one was playing (ill give you an example, on a typical night there was around 3 or 4 players on my entire server (Dominion side) and im not even exagerating. 
    Then came the big F2P launch which was going to ''save the game'' but they made no changes what-so-ever to the gameplay. It was basically the exact same game but with a cash shop and a little less grind. That was it. And so the population died in pretty much the same way it did before. 
    Then came the Steam launch which many players said would ''save the game'' but again they made no changes what-so-ever to the gameplay.. and guess what.. yeah exactly, the population has died. 
    Now people are saying it needs to be released on console.. O.o

When the ''Primal matrix'' update was announced i took some interest in returning, but after a lot of thought i decided i would give it a pass. It is still pretty much exactly the same game it was at launch, just with a new zone and some new instances. Its just more of the same gameplay that turned everyone off in the first place.
    My original reason for leaving in the first place still stands today. They have a dev team that never listens to feedback and i cant keep playing a game when its being led into closure by people who lack any kind of creative thinking.

Im glad you're enjoying it though and i cant blame you for wanting to bring in more players :)  

ste2000 said:
    jesad said:
    Do it.

Socialize.  It's a social game.

I tried to play this game twice, once at launch and once 6 months ago when I took a break from BDO.  And when I play a game I don't do it casually, so I gave it a serious go.
    The results weren't much different from the first time I played it.

1) This is the less charming MMO I ever played in my life. Art-style is way too wacky, I didn't care for any of my character or even the main story.
    2) The first half of the game is way too casual and tedious as fuck, zero challenge, awful quests (and I mean awful).
    3) Never managed to get to the interesting part of the game (Raiding) because of Number 2, so I can't comment on End Game.
    4) Quests are the most boring things I ever played, ever! They tried to make it original, they made it worst.
    Very gimmicky, too weird, some were more like mini-games (hated it, I just wanna kill stuff!) it's like the game is trying to take the piss all the time, it felt like playing a Micky Mouse game, not for me.
    5) Anti-social. Don't know why the OP think this game is social, as I never had to group for anything and never had to use the Chat. Very lonely experience. (Maybe it gets more Social at end game?)

What Carabine did is to unashamedly copy WoW and make it even more casual, more wacky, but failing to replicate the same charm.
    Some people say that the end game is hardcore, with difficult Raids, which is what I look for in a game.
    It's a shame I had  to go through a long tedious leveling process before getting to that,  and I am not ashamed to admit it, Wildstar is the only MMO that beat me (by boring me to death, beating even WAR).

Don't know why you want to make me go to the tape dude but I'm gonna be honest, I feel manipulated right now LOL.  I said I wasn't gonna argue for this game but I can't just let you say stuff that you know is markedly not true.

The following link is to the first dungeon you hit at level 20.  It is not an easy dungeon and it is not a soloable dungeon.

https://youtu.be/_Y0MWGDS8QU

I made two friends instantly on the day I ran that dungeon.  I played another so-called AAA title to level 60 and never made one single friend.  Who needed one when all you had to do to get through anything was queue up?

Yeah, the queues are long in this game.  But at the risk of sounding like a codger, "In my day we didn't have queues, we yelled out in general chat for groups and we LIKED it!" haha!

If it's not your cup of tea though it's not your cup of tea.  All I am saying is for those people who aren't trying it SPECIFICALLY because it comes off WOW'ish (there, I said it), don't that that deter you.  There is a genuine MMO in there under all of that puffy.

Kunai_Vax said:
    jesad said:
    Kunai_Vax said:

I played it in beta and stuck with it all the way to f2p and then many months after that. 
    I understand fully why so many left. I always felt this game could have really been the WoW killer but they never listened to feedback and got so many things wrong. Their design in general was uninspired at best.
    BUT despite this i had a really great time on my server. For a while after the f2p launch it had a new population and it was one of the most social experiences i have had in many years in an MMO. 

I admire your positivity, i was you once. But you have to remember that when they launched this game, it had a HUGE player base and they kept having to make new servers to accommodate everyone that wanted to play. Players were giving the same general feedback regarding combat and quests etc just like people in this thread .. and non of it was addressed. The player base gradually died off until almost no-one was playing (ill give you an example, on a typical night there was around 3 or 4 players on my entire server (Dominion side) and im not even exagerating. 
    Then came the big F2P launch which was going to ''save the game'' but they made no changes what-so-ever to the gameplay. It was basically the exact same game but with a cash shop and a little less grind. That was it. And so the population died in pretty much the same way it did before. 
    Then came the Steam launch which many players said would ''save the game'' but again they made no changes what-so-ever to the gameplay.. and guess what.. yeah exactly, the population has died. 
    Now people are saying it needs to be released on console.. O.o

When the ''Primal matrix'' update was announced i took some interest in returning, but after a lot of thought i decided i would give it a pass. It is still pretty much exactly the same game it was at launch, just with a new zone and some new instances. Its just more of the same gameplay that turned everyone off in the first place.
    My original reason for leaving in the first place still stands today. They have a dev team that never listens to feedback and i cant keep playing a game when its being led into closure by people who lack any kind of creative thinking.

Im glad you're enjoying it though and i cant blame you for wanting to bring in more players :)  
    Respect.  I can't say anything to that. 

Also we need a "Fair enough" button LOL because I felt like answering that to several posts in this string.

There's nothing that really grabs me at the moment  :( so im just playing Battlerite and lurking on these forums. If i get seriously bored i might jump into GW2 again and see how things are since HoT 

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I liked a lot about this game honestly, or at least I think I did. I didn't even mind the art style, but the humor and animations killed it for me. In fact, since I didn't like those aspect so much, it might've made the other parts I did like seem more enjoyable than they actually were, I don't know. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Elevenb4 said:
    I liked a lot about this game honestly, or at least I think I did. I didn't even mind the art style, but the humor and animations killed it for me. In fact, since I didn't like those aspect so much, it might've made the other parts I did like seem more enjoyable than they actually were, I don't know. 
    I really loved the art style and the animations, its one of the things they got right in my opinion. But i know a lot of people were turned off by it  :(

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I flat didn't like this game.  Not having a class that made me go "Oooh, I wanna try that one!" should have been a tip.  They were OK though, I suppose, after playing a bit.  Art style and story is what really turned me off though.  Aesthetically, the game contrasted its own narrative.  It felt disjointed and wierd as a result.  It was silly in places it need to be serious and serious in places it needed to add its own brand of humor.  I will say though, I did like the questline where you're talking to the tree.  That one was at least well written, even if the rest weren't.  I've tried it twice now, and there won't be a third. 

To the OP, though, I'm genuinely glad that you're enjoying it.  I hope you find many more to join you.  Seeing any game shut down is sad.  It's someone's hard work getting flushed and another's enjoyment being taken away.  I hope it continues to impress you.