Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guns and Absurdly Oversized Weapons

2»

Comments

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    cheyane said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aelious said:
    Mortals can harness energy around them to coalesce pure fire and project it to a specific location... yet not fire pieces of metal with combustible material.

Seems legit :D
    In Jack L. Chalker's "Well of Souls" books (the orignal series) the "Well World" was a planet comprised of hexagonal nations, both on land and sea where each "nation" was populated by a specific race, had a specific biome, and a set technology level.

So, someone could be sailing the seas using a high powered electrical engine but if they crossed over into a low tech area the will be dead in the water if they don't have sails.

I like his books. Loved the well books. Have you read his River of the dancing gods. I like his characters.
    I enjoyed his earlier works - the original Well World novel (and the first trilogy), "Web of the Chozen", "The Devil will Drag you Under", and a couple of others that I can't recall the titles too.

Unfortunately he got popular enough that he reached that critical mass where they no longer edit their books very well.  He even said once (my paraphrase) - I write until the story is finished.  This led to larger series of 6 and 7 books that could have been tightened to 4 or 5 books.

Another prime example is JK Rowling - you could eliminate 2 or 300 pages of book 7 of the Harry Potter series and not even realize anything was missing.

Of course this is just my opinion - no offense to anybody that enjoys that :)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    ste2000 said:

I don't think they ever took it into consideration.
    I would not mind having Steampunk weapons, but the lore has to fit.
    Pantheon lore is High Fantasy not Steampunk, so I don't think we will see any firearms.

I would not mind more traditional ballistic weapons with a Steampunk design such as this.

http36mediatumblrcomd07ad49bca83429d4c15bcc7dd6554fbtumblr_nqef47d3bm1s3hp12o1_1280jpg
    That one is awesome but I don't think it would fit in Pantheon really... Wow, FF XIV and GW2 sure but from the artstyle of Pantheon I rather have more historical looking things.

No way to guns, guns are generally misused in fantasy MMOs as it is (a wheelock musket can not fire a shot or more every second without magic and if every single rifle and pistol are magical why not just make a wand instead?). Until you use 19th century technology a gun generally fire either 1 or 2 shots with a very high burst damage once a combat. You could possibly pack 4 1 shot pistols at max. I can't see why MMOs can't make that into a fun mechanic instead of pretending that it is a bow.

Anything with lower tech then musketeers should stay well away from gunpowder weapons in any case. It adds nothing to the game. If you want a fast firing none bow/Xbow just add wands as a weapon instead, something common in D&D.

As for silly oversized manga weapons they generally fit badly into Pantheons artstyle as well. There have been a few historical gigantic weapons, like the flamberge and a wobbly Chinese 2 hands sword but they were unpopular and rare at best (I think the flamberge were more something you had on the wall to impress the neighbors then something a normal person would take to the battlefield even if a few landsknecht used them).

Weapons like that fit into a manga styled game but for Pantheon they should possibly be a few rare heavily enchanted swords if any at all. They just don't work in the art theme either, unless something like an ogre wields it.

Pantheons clothes and weapons seems more historical with D&D influences, at least the ones I seen so far. And sticking to the artstyle makes the game seems more real then just mixing in all kinds of weird stuff. Well, the latter works for Wow but it have a rather more joke setting then Pantheon.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    AngryElf said:
    The less "cartoony" the better.  I favor the more traditional high fantasy take (bows/spells), but as long as it doesn't look like a 5th grader imagined it, I can tolerate firearms. 

@Aelious
    Also, just because a society has the materials, it doesn't mean the science has been developed for guns (ancient Chinese are a good example of this). If you want to take a more realistic stance on high fantasy, it's totally plausible that the technological advancement took a different direction.  

Either way, as long as it makes sense, I won't complain if they decided to use firearms. 

This is true and I was more being a sarcastic PitA ;)

In a way I agree and like I said above in a high fantasy setting I'd much rather see magic crystal-based projectile weapons than those based on combustible powder.

aliven said:
    Bonechip said:
    I could go for Steampunk weapons like Swords, Bows, etc, but no guns=) 
    Then you dont really know steampunk too well. Firearms are there. 
    I think he confuses Steampunk and clockwork punk (and even clockwork punk have some weird guns like the cannons on a DaVinci tank).

This is steampunk. Swords really aren't even if rapiers and cutlasses surely can be.

For more steampunk refferences I recommend this excellent music video with Abbey park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEI-hh3MG0
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Loke666 said:
    aliven said:
    Bonechip said:
    I think he confuses Steampunk and clockwork punk (and even clockwork punk have some weird guns like the cannons on a DaVinci tank).

This is steampunk. Swords really aren't even if rapiers and cutlasses surely can be.

For more steampunk refferences I recommend this excellent music video with Abbey park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEI-hh3MG0

Abney Park is pretty good and has a very unique sound. That pic above is great as well. Nice paint job:

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited January 2017
    ste2000 said:

I don't think they ever took it into consideration.
    I would not mind having Steampunk weapons, but the lore has to fit.
    Pantheon lore is High Fantasy not Steampunk, so I don't think we will see any firearms.

I would not mind more traditional ballistic weapons with a Steampunk design such as this.

http36mediatumblrcomd07ad49bca83429d4c15bcc7dd6554fbtumblr_nqef47d3bm1s3hp12o1_1280jpg

As an archer, I approve of this weapon, not necessarily for Pantheon, but I wouldn't mind having it in real life. :proud:
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    Aelious said:

Abney Park is pretty good and has a very unique sound. That pic above is great as well. Nice paint job:

Yeah, they are my favorite band that plays a lot of steampunk music. Many other bands have a good steampunk song or 2 even if they generally play a different kind of music.

I have to say that your gun look more Diesel punk (probably because it have a more plastic feel and not the bronze or brass finish I generally think of as steampunk). It is still cool :).

I do need to make a steampunk gun when I have the time...

This is BTW the closest real world weapon to steampunk:

9 shots + a shotgun shot under-barrel and it have that somewhat weird look.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    edited January 2017
    Ed Harris's character in Westworld uses a  LeMat revolver.  I gave them major brownie points for that bit of obscure, wonderful detail.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Guns fine, Asian style weapons and I'm out. Hate Asian gfx
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Wish they'd do a bit of creative work with gunpowder, if they're going to use 'em.   No muskets or pistoles, say, but primitive rocket launchers, petards, flamethrowers or things of a similar ilk. 

Or if you want the form, change the function, make it powered by magickal energy in some form of convergent evolution.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Loke666 said:
    aliven said:
    Bonechip said:

Ahhh! I used that exact same gun for a "steam punk paint job" for a costume several years ago.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm ok with over-sized weapons as long as their size and weight get into the equation. In fact when it's done right, it's quite interesting - Souls games are a good example. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I dont like guns because I dont like the sound of them.  It's annoying.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If they have flying mounts for characters, surely the mobs would need / want / develop anti-aircraft abilities?  Surface to air missiles (if there are fireworks, there's the components for missiles) or extremely high altitude archery?  If the orcs are planning to invade the next continent, what's wrong with ICBAs (Inter Continental Ballistic Arrows)?

Silliness aside, I don't have a problem with guns as long as they fit the lore.  As for oversized weapons, that doesn't seem to fit in the artistic style for Pantheon, but as long as the art is consistent, it doesn't really bother me at all.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Steampunk weapons are kind of fun, to me at least.

And Everquest had some of those over-sized weapons, such as the Centi Longsword (a/k/a/ the Surfboard).

But all things in moderation ....

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Amathe said:
    Steampunk weapons are kind of fun, to me at least.

And Everquest had some of those over-sized weapons, such as the Centi Longsword (a/k/a/ the Surfboard).

But all things in moderation ....

A friend of mine had that weapon.  I always asked him what he was compensating for :)