Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Grandpa and his Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Video Podcast

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageMy Grandpa and his Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Video Podcast

A YouTube groups called

Read the full story here

Comments

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Then he should look at Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen :)
    health001
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Awww... This is so cool. I'm 45 and i can see my self at his age still playing. I've never played asheron's call, but here are some suggestions. Rift (ftp and sub), FFXIV (14.99 sub), ESO (ftp and sub), Neverwinter (FTP and sub). These are just a few I play. Hope this helps. Enjoy Asherons call while it's still around, Gramps. :D
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2017
    My dad, who passed away right after Christmas, played Diablo and Diablo 2 up to the day before he died. He was 86. Weirdly, it was he who introduced me to the former that led to this glamorous career. Gaming transcends generations :)
    Post edited by SBFord on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I am sure someone will launch a AC server once it has sunset.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

SBFord said:

My dad, who passed away right after Christmas, played Diablo and Diablo 2 up to the day before he died. He was 86. Weirdly, it was he who introduced me to the former that led to this glamorous career. Gaming transcends generations :)

My condolences =-\
  • MaximusNovaMaximusNova Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I will be playing Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen with my dad and uncle and some friends from an old guild in FF11 can`t wait. He should join as well :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    well Grandpa , if no AC EMU turns up its Project Gorgon for you
  • Kiori001Kiori001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited January 2017
    Cool story and your Grandpa seems like a neat person. I wish him luck with finding a new home, its a sad time when a favourite game gets shut down.
    Post edited by Kiori001 on
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Nanfoodle said:

SBFord said:

My condolences =-\
    Thank you so much. He lived a full, active life and was totally "with it" to the end, dying in his sleep. Though I'll miss him, I am richer for knowing him. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• pad07pad07 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    i'm really glad i got to read this and see the video. thank you.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Good luck gramps. None of us can find a halfway decent MMORPG nowadays.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

SBFord said:

I'm sorry for your loss as well.

Plenty of older titles still running, like Runscape/FFXI/EQ so its worth researching and doing some trial/error.
  • health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    LOL only 30 more years and ill be there !!!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2017
    You know what is the saddest part? investing so much money on an mmo for so many years of your life, just to see it shut down.

MMO companies need to evolve the way mmos are created and delivered. They need to give people the option to host their own game/server and play only with friends. If the game stops being profitable and the company shuts down the servers in order to move to a new project, people don't lose all those years of investment and are still able to play through LAN/IP with friends.

This is, to me, the biggest problem with mmos as a service. When i think about this issue, the last thing i want is to pay for another mmo and risk losing my money like that.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    There are more seniors than many would suspect playing mmo's. It was nice to hear about this one .
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Also, my condolences to you @SBFord

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Awesome story.   I loved AC back in the day.  I t was awesome how you could put points int various things and gain things in world from those stats.  Like some places some people who had a high jump could only go etc.  This was my game back in the day RIP AC!!!
  • mambatronxmambatronx Member UncommonPosts: 5

I will be playing Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen with my dad and uncle and some friends from an old guild in FF11 can`t wait. He should join as well :)

There is no release date yet and it's just one of many games that have all TBD on release dates it could be months years or just cancelled.

Pantheon, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained all keep being postponed.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Memo to myself, stop the process of getting grandkids, they will invade you in all kinds of private spaces with their smartphone and make you a celebrity on the internet.

Condolences Ford.

(Yeah yeah I will post again some other day /runs out of this post and let you all be all cheerful and stuff)

Its nice enough people like to play games at all ages though, can agree to that. <3 

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I hope he finds a new game soon. My Mother is 89 as of this month and she still plays D3, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing and a few other games. Keeps her active and she enjoys it a lot.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am happy he was doing what he enjoyed and was having some fun in life but Diablo....bleh.

I find it very interesting though,these people are a lot older than me and i grew up right when gaming and PC's began.I mention this because in my generation,most of us despised PC's ,gaming,it was considered a terrible way of life,not healthy and not allowing people to be interactive within their community and life in general.

Sooooo to think people before me would even accept it is amazing.I assume like myself they sort of had reasons for warming up to gaming,i figure health reasons,injuries something forced people to have to stay at home for a long period of time and we became fidgetty,bored and so it began.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I hope Grandpa quits altogether. He would be appalled by the instant gratification mmo's of today, as should we all.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

SBFord said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. My father hasn't been doing very well the past few years. Not only has he been pretty much bed ridden for almost 2 years now because of ALS, he had a stroke last summer that caused him to lose a lot of cognitive function and memory. I was lucky to spend this past Christmas and New Years with him because it will probably be his last.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I hope to be still playing at that age am 57 now so we shall see how long my fingers stay nimble.