Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play on a PvE or PvP server ?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited January 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    I'l be doing my PvE content on PvP server.
    If a PVE server means it has no PVP outside of dueling then I would rather PVE on a PVP server.

It adds an extra level of accomplishment to complete PVE objective in spite of the gankers.  

I get satisfaction from achieving things others lack the fortitude or desire to.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    PVE ... PVP is always a joke in mmo's
  • BonechipBonechip Member UncommonPosts: 11
    With 16 years of mmo experience and countless hours of reading post and reviews, I came to three hard conclusions.....My opinion.

- Cash Shop mmos are always short lived.  No one plays them for long !

- Follow the quest line mmos are short lived too.  No one plays them for long !

- PvP mmos make people rage quit, and dominate topics ! 
    @delete5230 I agree.
    -------------------------------------------
    • MMO Dweller Extraordinaire.
    • Mover of Mountains.
    • Monkey Trainer.
    • Author of SparxxUI for Everquest.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    PVE as I am a detriment to any team or individually based combat against others.  Much like golf, any team I participate with needs a warning and handicap for my services.
    As long as you have fun, who cares, it doesn't really matter how good you are at something, as long as you are having fun doing it, if others can't handle that then they aren't much of a team player either. :o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Both. Will dabble with both like always until one becomes my main.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    When there is actually a PVE/P server to play on, then I'll get excited about PVE/P.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    When there is actually a PVE/P server to play on, then I'll get excited about PVE/P.
    Yep. Right now you're asking if we'd prefer a unicorn or a pegasus.
    That's a no-brainer though.
    On paper Pegasus, as it can fly, which allows for some awesome sneak attacks.

httpimg05deviantartneta088i200513701unicorn_vs_pegasus_by_thekirbyjpg

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Rhoklaw said:

I've learned my lesson that open world PvP games are doomed and utter failures in the MMO industry. Not one open world PvP game has ever been more successful than the plethora of PvE focused MMO's in comparison. The ONLY PvP games that even come close to being as popular as PvE MMO's are those that utilize restricted PvP mechanics such as specific PvP zones ( DAoC / Eve Online / GW2 / WarHammer Online / ESO ) or games that utilize a flagging system such as ( SWG ).

No one in the gaming community or the industry will ever show me enough proof that open world PvP MMO's are or ever were popular enough to become mainstream. That doesn't mean there isn't a large audience for PvP focused MMO's, but unless you have PvE players playing them, those games die a quick and timely death as we all know, PvPers hate fighting other PvPers.
    SWG did good with open world PVP but that system was built on player's flagging up and most players played covertly.  The open world PVP there was fairly successful because it didnt have grievers all over.  The player run bases which would go vulnerable was fun from time to time.  

You are right though most old world PVP games do not go well.  That's because less than 1% of the MMO Population will play MMOs where if killed in combat they will accept corps looting.  Add to that the amount of greifing that goes on in these type of games.  If PVP was done like it was in SWG it could be successful.  
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    PvP all the way.

Just wired that way. There's a great community of us, and we enjoy the competition. 

There's going to be PvP a-holes, that's a given, but such is life.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    They are designing it to be a PvE game at heart so let it be that.  Part of the problem today is developers trying to do it all.  It is better to focus on one part and make it great then to try and do it all and half ass most of the game because of it.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    k61977 said:
    They are designing it to be a PvE game at heart so let it be that.  Part of the problem today is developers trying to do it all.  It is better to focus on one part and make it great then to try and do it all and half ass most of the game because of it.

+++1 to this

1) Developers will be constantly focusing on balance instead of content.

2) Everyone will be playing casters instead of healers and tanks.
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    I'll be on an European PvE server as my old EQ toon - Melthas Willowthree, Druid :)
  • MaximusNovaMaximusNova Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Phry said:
    Forgrimm said:
    PVP server will be dead and merged with the PVE server in short time. It's a mistake to even make separate PVP server(s) IMO since I don't think the game is going to have the kind of population to support multiple server types.
    Its easily possible that over 80% of players will choose PVE servers over PVP ones, and when it comes to developing future content/features etc. for the game, its entirely likely that the focus will be heavily biased towards the PVE servers, as thats where the majority of the games playerbase will likely be focused, unless they merge the servers and have PVP as a voluntary option, then its likely that there will not be enough of a population on the PVP servers to warrant further development of content for them. :o
    I have a felling the pvp servers will be the same as the pve servers with the difference of attacking other players toggled on. i don't think there will be any pvp content.  
    Phry said:

I have a felling the pvp servers will be the same as the pve servers with the difference of attacking other players toggled on. i don't think there will be any pvp content.  
    You are spot on.
    Ironically that could be more fun than more dedicated PvP games.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    ste2000 said:
    Phry said:

You are spot on.

Competing for PvE content IS the PvP content.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited January 2017
    Look at those numbers. That should show devs AGAIN, that PVP in MMOs is NOT A VIABLE OPTION. YOU will only lose a VAST majority of players 74% to appease the MINORITY 16% who want PVP. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!! And MAKES NOOOOO SENSE!!!!!!
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Rhoklaw said:

I've learned my lesson that open world PvP games are doomed and utter failures in the MMO industry. Not one open world PvP game has ever been more successful than the plethora of PvE focused MMO's in comparison. The ONLY PvP games that even come close to being as popular as PvE MMO's are those that utilize restricted PvP mechanics such as specific PvP zones ( DAoC / Eve Online / GW2 / WarHammer Online / ESO ) or games that utilize a flagging system such as ( SWG ).

No one in the gaming community or the industry will ever show me enough proof that open world PvP MMO's are or ever were popular enough to become mainstream. That doesn't mean there isn't a large audience for PvP focused MMO's, but unless you have PvE players playing them, those games die a quick and timely death as we all know, PvPers hate fighting other PvPers.
    To be fair, Ultima Online was a huge success beyond any imagination from the team behind it, and that had open world pvp! You could attack anyone anywhere but with consequences....
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    bentrim said:
    Look at those numbers. That should show devs AGAIN, that PVP in MMOs is NOT A VIABLE OPTION. YOU will only lose a VAST majority of players 74% to appease the MINORITY 16% who want PVP. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!! And MAKES NOOOOO SENSE!!!!!!
    Relax... 

The question is whether you would play on a PvE/PvP server. There's plenty of PvErs who like to PvP and visa-versa. 

Pick yours, go play, and let the others have their fun elsewhere...
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited January 2017
    Hexipox said:
    Rhoklaw said:

To be fair, Ultima Online was a huge success beyond any imagination from the team behind it, and that had open world pvp! You could attack anyone anywhere but with consequences....
    Good example.  In the end UO was hemorrhaging subs due to griefing and had to open up the pve mirror world or go under.  The pure pvp model was only a success in the beginning when UO was the only real choice, and when there were other choices the pvp only model failed.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    VR Realms already have their hands full with making a game that stands out above the rest.

With the market being saturated, with all the clones, with the loss of fan base because of cheaply made games of the past 10 years............I think PvP is an unneeded risk for now.

20% really like PvP, no matter the rules and balancing WILL BE ARGUING ANYWAY.  Because of this all topics about the game will focus on this argument. 

PvP topics will dominate, and all others will take a back seat.   

Developers will have to drop everything and concentrate all resources to PvP.

Developers don't need a bad reputation from the start.  All video games including mmos are judged on it's first 30 days.

When players leave because of bad design, they don't come back !

I say " don't do it ".

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Considering this game is not going to "release" until around 2021, if it does release,  there is plenty of time to decide which type of server to play on...

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    VR Realms already have their hands full with making a game that stands out above the rest.

With the market being saturated, with all the clones, with the loss of fan base because of cheaply made games of the past 10 years............I think PvP is an unneeded risk for now.

20% really like PvP, no matter the rules and balancing WILL BE ARGUING ANYWAY.  Because of this all topics about the game will focus on this argument. 

PvP topics will dominate, and all others will take a back seat.   

Developers will have to drop everything and concentrate all resources to PvP.

Developers don't need a bad reputation from the start.  All video games including mmos are judged on it's first 30 days.

When players leave because of bad design, they don't come back !

I say " don't do it ".

Don't worry Pantheon is a PVE mmo first and foremost nothing will change that. If anyone coming to Pantheon because of PVP then they will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong EQ had some good PVP rulesets but let's face it there are dozens of true PvP mmo's they can play. 

Dullahan said:
    ste2000 said:
    You are spot on.

Yeah.
    You know what I am thinking?
    That developers are getting it completely wrong when they design today PvP games to be balanced for 1v1 fights.
    I don't think 1v1 PvP is suited for MMORPGs.
    EQ PvP was totally unbalanced (1vs1) but that made it also great for grouping as that was the best way to cover each other ass and compete for the best PvE content.
    That doesn't mean you could not have great 1v1 fight in EQ, but generally it was a group activity.

The most fun PvP I experienced was in Vanilla WoW where there was no PvP content (No BGs, no Arenas), yet people will spontaneously create Raids to attack opposing faction cities, even though there was nothing at stake, just for the heck of it.
    You don't really have to have PvP content to have fun in PvP, so who knows maybe Pantheon PvP Servers might end up being pretty popular after all.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    ste2000 said:
    Dullahan said:
    ste2000 said:
    You are spot on.

Yeah.
    You know what I am thinking?
    That developers are getting it completely wrong when they design today PvP games to be balanced for 1v1 fights.
    I don't think 1v1 PvP is suited for MMORPGs.
    EQ PvP was totally unbalanced (1vs1) but that made it also great for grouping as that was the best way to cover each other ass and compete for the best PvE content.
    That doesn't mean you could not have great 1v1 fight in EQ, but generally it was a group activity.

The most fun PvP I experienced was in Vanilla WoW where there was no PvP content (No BGs, no Arenas), yet people will spontaneously create Raids to attack opposing faction cities, even though there was nothing at stake, just for the heck of it.
    You don't really have to have PvP content to have fun in PvP, so who knows maybe Pantheon PvP Servers might end up being pretty popular after all.

Do you remember how there would always be battles going on along the main road through Ashenvale? And at some point enough people would have naturally gathered that a raid was formed to either raid Astranaar or Crossroads  :p

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It was Terren Mill on the horde side.