Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss Eve

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
I work at a college and years ago I would play Eve and take my Hulk out and mine some roids while reading and preparing for classes.  There was something so soothing about the sound of the mining lasers and the background music.  My wife used to tease me because I would get in the zone and do it for hours.  I got so much work done and it was awesome.

I stopped doing it a few years ago.  Some bored person would come and minerbump me so I would just log off then later go look for a new system to mine in.  Then suicide attacks became the "fun thing of the month" so I actually had to keep an eye out while mining and that was when the fun drained out for me.

While I am not complaining and I understand playing mostly AFK is not what the game is about, I do miss when I could get away with that.  It was not like mining Veld actually produced a lot of money for me, it was more the feeling like I was actually some bored miner on a ship out in deep space who was reading a book while waiting for his ship to fill up with ore.  It was that feeling of peace like I was the only person on that ship and that I loved my boring and remedial job as the pilot of a rusty mining vessel.

Eve was one of the very few games that immersed me in the game world and made me actually feel like I was there in space. 
"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    You might wanna look at Elite Dangerous.  I haven't gotten into it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good and is in that same niche as EVE.  Might not be as good as the EVE you remember, but it might be worth a shot.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2016
    I see the problem, Hulks are meant to be flown in protected fleets, and have to be ready to warp out at the first sign of trouble

Omni-tank yourself a Skiff and you'll deter all but the most determined gankers.

Also, learn to mine where the gank squads rarely go.  There are many systems in EVE that never see gankers, mostly down in Gallente/Minmitar space, but stay far away from Caldari and Amarr.

You can use tools such as Dotlan to check out how many kills a particular system has had recently, what sort of ore/belts are available, and find yourself a quiet new home.

As there is now Alpha clones for no sub, you might want to fit out a Procurer (Exhumers not available to alphas) and see if you can find the mining fun again.

Besides, Procs cost next to nothing to lose and are also great on defense.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Talonsin said:
    I work at a college and years ago I would play Eve and take my Hulk out and mine some roids while reading and preparing for classes.  There was something so soothing about the sound of the mining lasers and the background music.  My wife used to tease me because I would get in the zone and do it for hours.  I got so much work done and it was awesome.

I stopped doing it a few years ago.  Some bored person would come and minerbump me so I would just log off then later go look for a new system to mine in.  Then suicide attacks became the "fun thing of the month" so I actually had to keep an eye out while mining and that was when the fun drained out for me.

While I am not complaining and I understand playing mostly AFK is not what the game is about, I do miss when I could get away with that.  It was not like mining Veld actually produced a lot of money for me, it was more the feeling like I was actually some bored miner on a ship out in deep space who was reading a book while waiting for his ship to fill up with ore.  It was that feeling of peace like I was the only person on that ship and that I loved my boring and remedial job as the pilot of a rusty mining vessel.

Eve was one of the very few games that immersed me in the game world and made me actually feel like I was there in space. 
    I hear ya...  Never got into EVE, but I had similar feeling when sailing oceans in Uncharted Waters Online. It took me 30-40 mins to cross the Pacific on early ships. 
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Talonsin said:

Did you maybe consider mining somewhere other than hisec?

Or doing something other than mining?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Kyleran said:
    I see the problem, Hulks are meant to be flown in protected fleets, and have to be ready to warp out at the first sign of trouble

Omni-tank yourself a Skiff and you'll deter all but the most determined gankers.

Also, learn to mine where the gank squads rarely go.  There are many systems in EVE that never see gankers, mostly down in Gallente/Minmitar space, but stay far away from Caldari and Amarr.

You can use tools such as Dotlan to check out how many kills a particular system has had recently, what sort of ore/belts are available, and find yourself a quiet new home.

As there is now Alpha clones for no sub, you might want to fit out a Procurer (Exhumers not available to alphas) and see if you can find the mining fun again.

Besides, Procs cost next to nothing to lose and are also great on defense.

I think my nerd-meter just exploded.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Talonsin said:

I felt the same way about Lineage 2.  It was the mother of all grinds but there was something about it that was very soothing.  Later I figured out that the rhythmic environmental sounds were very close to the sounds heard by a fetus in the womb.  So it was no problem spending many hours grinding up a character from zone to zone.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    You might wanna look at Elite Dangerous.  I haven't gotten into it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good and is in that same niche as EVE.  Might not be as good as the EVE you remember, but it might be worth a shot.
    Elite Dangerous mining requires paying attention and constantly acting.  Mining lasers are not automatic.  They must be manually fired and also their associated energy reserve.  Collection Limpets have at most a six minute life span unless they self destruct by running into an asteroid. And there are NPC rats that will occasionally attack if you mine too close to a mapped mining area.  

I found ED mining rather tedious with little reward.  Then again my ship wasn't set up solely as a mining ship and I found the mining returns very limited because I don't really know or care to much about mining.  Mining in ED is currently just an income method by selling to the NPC market.  I don't know if there are any plans to incorporate any crafting in ED.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I played Eve for a total of maybe 4 years. It will always have a special place in my heart. I'll never forget the first time I was scammed. Talk about feeling horrible.

I'll never forget how peaceful and relaxing it was to mine in high sec after a long day of work. After about a year of mining, I got into the combat side. I'll never forget the first time I got into a Battle Cruiser and thinking I was ready to take on the world. Then when I finally got into my first Battleship which was an Amarr Apocalypse. To this day I think that is the most beautiful ship CCP has created lol. 

Great memories here. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    Talonsin said:
      There was something so soothing about the sound of the mining lasers and the background music.

Unfortunately they removed that awesome sound effect of the strip miners for something much quieter.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Talonsin said:
      There was something so soothing about the sound of the mining lasers and the background music.

Unfortunately they removed that awesome sound effect of the strip miners for something much quieter.
    Yeah, I used to love the loud sound of the mining lasers. I thought it sounded awesome. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited January 2017
    Talonsin said:

You need that:

Veldnaught FTW

Have fun

• ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited March 2017
    @TO: i understand you so well, i was the same sort of player. mining around, take things easy in deep space and when you have to go afk because you als have a real life, your ship is patiently sitting in space. I dont speak of macroing or such.

Just my own, cosy playstile.

I just disagree in one thing with you: who has the right to judge what the game is about ? Many people, different playstyles. Freedom to play what you like when not hurting others.
    So when someone is often afk, what should that be the problem of other players ? Are they flying moms or running judges ?

But as you said, some immature persons found out that griefing is much more fun to them, carrying their real life problems into the game..and that was it for me also. Lets hope CCP will understand that normal people cannot play their game actually, and this will be the time when steams of players will return.
    When they block the scum of doing what they love so much.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:

While I agree with the rest you wrote, Alpha ore mining is limited to Ventures. Unfortunately Procurers are available for Omegas only.

What miners with Alpha accounts could optionally do besides paying for subscription is to PLEX the Alpha state into Omega by casual exploration and then try to maintain the Omega state by spending a lot of time AFK mining in lets say high sec Gallente space. A well fitted but very cheap (1.3M-1.6M) Imicus can make a lot of ISK by occasionally exploring some calm spots (check the map for low traffic and low death count spots) in low sec or even better in Wormhole space that can be explored in high sec as well although the competition can disappoint you in high traffic areas so I prefer finding wormholes in low sec. Hacking data and relic sites is a good and fun way of getting a lot of ISK without risking too much.

Even AFK miners need some excitement sometimes. :) Just bookmark the wormhole exit right after entering and never ever forget to constantly scan and swap locations frequently while scanning down the whole W space. If you ever encounter a player in W space just leave immediately. I know it's not something like mining in high sec but as a miner I do enjoy occasional relic/data site explorations that can make me a lot of ISK while being just a side activity. Not to mention that by epxloration you can encounter highly valuable gas fields too and the Venture is an affordable and capable ship when it comes to quickly harvesting the prosperous Gas sites you happen to find with the Imicus. Just keep in mind that simply warping into a Gas site in W space triggers the timer for incoming sleepers so you have to do as much as you can in 15-20 minutes and be prepared to warp out immediately when you see sleepers after 15 minutes. Or just stick to the Imicus and do some quick data/relic sites that can make you tens of millions in an hour once you get the hang of it.

Back to the topic: I do agree with those who say that finding a good home for AFK mining is still possible in EVE.