Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RP'ers who play opposing gender, would you rerole for your gf/bf?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
If your irl significant other started playing your role playing game would you rerole your character's gender?  Directed at straight males who play fem char.  Or straight female gamers who play male char.   Not laying this on bi/gay/trans/asexuals as it should not produce an issue but welcome anyone's input; peace all.

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    That depends on a lot of factors.  (And yes I'm a straight female who usually plays male characters.)  First, if I have a friend join a game I am playing I often make a new character so I can play the newbie area with my friend.  In that case that the friend was my boyfriend, and that he wasn't bi, I wouldn't mind trying to make a female character that looked mostly like me, or a female anthro/alien character.  What I wouldn't want to do is make a female human-ish character who looked nothing like me.

Now, would I change the gender of an existing high-level character?  No, I don't see the point, unless it's the kind of MMO where you can only have one character.  Generally any high level character can't usefully form a party with a newbie character.  And I think power-leveling is kind of stupid, since I play MMOs mainly for the relaxed-pace questing and exploration and collecting.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If my GF wants to wear Leia's slave costume, I suppose I could play along. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I self identify as a monkey.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Is there a cash shop opportunity that is being missed here?
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    If it made my partner or friend more comfortable, yes. Though I would prefer to make/have a character that better paired with my partner's character for the purpose of role playing, not just make them a different gender for the sake of being a different gender.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Although its just a game, your s/o should take priority, but that's just my way of thinking.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    It does not matter to me. I never create a toon that is about me, but just what I think is fun for the combat role and/or story. So I make someone up and they can be either male, female, or droid for that matter (any species).

If a game is alt friendly I often end up with a bunch of very different characters. And my partner does the same now I think about it. But then we sit in the same room playing that game, so it is not as if the toons make it confusing somehow.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My husband always I mean always plays females and he even dresses them up in horrible clothes (from my point of view) and he chooses big boobs and big ass and so on..... his City of Heroes character was a caricature of every male fantasy in a bikini of course. So when we play together I cringe if we invite someone else and but thankfully he does not type well so he is vewy, vewy quiet and I can pass him off as just another group member and not someone I actually know irl.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think you'd have to be very insecure about your own sexuality to even consider it to be a problem of any kind. Play games how you want to play them, it has no bearing on real life its just fun. B)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    cheyane said:
    My husband always I mean always plays females and he even dresses them up in horrible clothes (from my point of view) and he chooses big boobs and big ass and so on..... his City of Heroes character was a caricature of every male fantasy in a bikini of course. So when we play together I cringe if we invite someone else and but thankfully he does not type well so he is vewy, vewy quiet and I can pass him off as just another group member and not someone I actually know irl.
    We use LOL a lot but in this case I actually did :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Been there, role reversal was actually very fun. And weird. And scary. But still. :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I think it would be way more fun for a couple to reverse the roles and actually try to role play them.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that as a young boy I was totally fascinated by my mother's high heels
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Iselin said:
    I think it would be way more fun for a couple to reverse the roles and actually try to role play them.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that as a young boy I was totally fascinated by my mother's high heels
    There was a time, when the kids were still growing up obviously, where looking for footwear was a case of searching the kids bedrooms and the dogs basket just to find a matching set, drove me and the wife nuts sometimes :p
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Why?  It's an animated toon.  Means nothing.  Any bf that was that obsessed about it has issues.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2017
    Well, I'm not really a role player but I have no issue having a female character as my character is "not me".

The women I date don't play video games so it's a non-issue. I strongly suspect that if I did date a woman who played video games she wouldn't care as that's the type of woman I date.

I suppose, in the spirit of the question "sure" unless I was in a gender locked game and had a high level character. I really don't see it ever being an issue though.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Most of the time I play male character with my wife.... however, there is the rare occasion that the males either look horrible, or the class in gender locked. In that point, we just play the females and play them like they are sisters (occasionally twins since we tend to like the same looks/hairstyles)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    why would i reroll ? if i choose female is for X reason (better looking armor , better animations , i feel like playing a female ranger....) 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    We turned out to be a very happy lesbian couple. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    since i do not cyber... I fail to see why gender would play any part of it... 

Then again i am pansexual and a relations anarchist... So i make for a poor commenter on the subject. 

This have been a good conversation