Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality setting in for VR and it's not good.

13»

Comments

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Not good? Dude HTC just revealed wireless tracking for the headset, sensors to add to bats, guns, etc. for different games. Room scale tracking is where its at for VR, sitting with a headset and just playing with a controller doesn't do it for me but add in movement within the area and reaching out and grabbing an item in game really changes it for me. Vanishing realms isn't even close to complete but one of the best experiences in VR, raw data, holopoint, the lab all great also. Elite Dangerous in VR adds an entire layer to that game that was missing(seriously). Then add in the experiences like google earth, tilt brush and you can see where this can end up.

What does need to happen is the length of games needs to improve, 30 minutes to 2 hours isn't enough for the vast majority of people. Then the carbon copies in VR right now are worse than anything. One good game comes out then 10 variations of it 4 days later to cash in on the attention. The setup sucks but if your doing room scale its to be expected but still a hassle.

With the upcoming release wireless tracking VR will become that much better to me. VR will never fully replace traditional gaming for me(at least I don't think, maybe in the future?)  BUT it is a very nice addition that complements my gaming selection and also enhances existing games that I have already enjoyed. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited January 2017
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

All VR needs are good games/experiences.

And about 4K per eye

thats when I'll jump on the bandwagon ;) probably be about 5 years
    I got to wonder if people like this have tried REAL room scale VR or just thier phones in a piece of cardboard?
    Oculus dk1, dk2 and cv1

3d effects = awesome

tracking = flawless

resolution = not ready for primetime

current resolution looks like your playing in vga, screen door effect is terrible
    Wrong....you meant to say not ready for ENTHUSIASTS, but most certainly ready for mainstream tech wise. The only real barrier right now is price, period.
    Like I said, I think about 5 years.

Mark Zuckerburg says 10 years

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/600915/mark-zuckerberg-says-it-will-take-10-years-for-virtual-reality-to-reach-mass-market/

My kids usage has dropped off by about 90% after his 2 week honeymoon phase. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Cecropia said:
    gervaise1 said:

First I'd love for you to show me where exactly you got I was angry anywhere on this thread.  Its rather sad you have to learn a simple life lesson but let me educate you here.  Because someone post information you don't like or doesn't agree with your little world doesn't mean they are angry.  Now replying to that thread all hostile like you have proves and is a fact you are the angry one.  

Fitness apps and VR are two completely different technologies.  I have a fitness app but I would never replace that with a VR headset.  It will be a long time before miles peddled on a peddle bike using VR top those using a fitness app...so sorry FACTS are hard for you because those are the facts.  

You sound like one of those special snowflake riders who think they are entitled to ride their little peddle bike in a car lane going 20mph below the speed limit...

What info do you think you have posted that I don't agree with? The bit about tech not helping e.g. fitness - this from the person who now says they have a fitness tracker! Or posting info that VR hasn't - supposedly - had a good year in 2016? That few on this forum expected to happen. Did "VR" fail however or was it the companies that hyped it? Think about it.

Remember you are the one that dismissed fitness stuff as niche! I simply gave an example of how VR has other uses. I could have talked about what is happening in cars - which is augmented reality but the bike example is better as there is both VR and AR. 

Maybe you can't see the bigger picture. Do you really believe that "Fitness apps and VR are two completely different things"? Fitness trackers have / are helping to drive the development of movement sensor technology - smaller, lighter, cheaper, more power efficient. As well as the software. VR - looking ahead - will incorporate sensor technology. Rarely will a company develop its own components if they already exist. So VR devices could easily have exactly the same sensors as fitness trackers.

The big picture is about connected techological advances. 
    No little buddy I said "VR for fitness is niche" I said nothing about fitness apps you brought that up because you were TRIGGERED by something you misread...hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed. 
    What's with the "ray of sunshine" attitude, though? Why do you always come across so pissed off? Remember you're posting on a video game forum, lol.
    Again posting info and facts that don't  agree with you doesn't mean a person is "pissed off". 
    The comment was directed at your attitude (which is coming off very rude and insulting). You did it three times alone in the post I quoted: "No little buddy...", "because you were TRIGGERED...", "hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed."  

All unnecessary comments that do nothing but aggravate the people you are trying to have a discussion with; I can point out many more examples if you would like. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    What reality.  Most people knew that the 1st Gen was gonna be a bit slow while the tech matured and came down in price.  Trying to debunk a non existent narrative is silly.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DocbootDocboot Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Cecropia said:
    Cecropia said:
    gervaise1 said:

First I'd love for you to show me where exactly you got I was angry anywhere on this thread.  Its rather sad you have to learn a simple life lesson but let me educate you here.  Because someone post information you don't like or doesn't agree with your little world doesn't mean they are angry.  Now replying to that thread all hostile like you have proves and is a fact you are the angry one.  

Fitness apps and VR are two completely different technologies.  I have a fitness app but I would never replace that with a VR headset.  It will be a long time before miles peddled on a peddle bike using VR top those using a fitness app...so sorry FACTS are hard for you because those are the facts.  

You sound like one of those special snowflake riders who think they are entitled to ride their little peddle bike in a car lane going 20mph below the speed limit...

What info do you think you have posted that I don't agree with? The bit about tech not helping e.g. fitness - this from the person who now says they have a fitness tracker! Or posting info that VR hasn't - supposedly - had a good year in 2016? That few on this forum expected to happen. Did "VR" fail however or was it the companies that hyped it? Think about it.

Remember you are the one that dismissed fitness stuff as niche! I simply gave an example of how VR has other uses. I could have talked about what is happening in cars - which is augmented reality but the bike example is better as there is both VR and AR. 

Maybe you can't see the bigger picture. Do you really believe that "Fitness apps and VR are two completely different things"? Fitness trackers have / are helping to drive the development of movement sensor technology - smaller, lighter, cheaper, more power efficient. As well as the software. VR - looking ahead - will incorporate sensor technology. Rarely will a company develop its own components if they already exist. So VR devices could easily have exactly the same sensors as fitness trackers.

The big picture is about connected techological advances. 
    No little buddy I said "VR for fitness is niche" I said nothing about fitness apps you brought that up because you were TRIGGERED by something you misread...hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed. 
    What's with the "ray of sunshine" attitude, though? Why do you always come across so pissed off? Remember you're posting on a video game forum, lol.
    Again posting info and facts that don't  agree with you doesn't mean a person is "pissed off". 
    The comment was directed at your attitude (which is coming off very rude and insulting). You did it three times alone in the post I quoted: "No little buddy...", "because you were TRIGGERED...", "hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed."  

All unnecessary comments that do nothing but aggravate the people you are trying to have a discussion with; I can point out many more examples if you would like. 
    Maybe deja vu but OP is very similar to the OP in this thread: 
     http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/458328/reality-check-for-those-pushing-vr-way-too-hard/p1

I can't work out if he anti VR or just anti Sony

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    people need to turn down in watching those animes with VR theme. stop getting deluded by your fantasies

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    edited January 2017
    Give VR another 2-4 years to better it's tech and lower the price and it may be a common place in just about every house hold, but then it may be old news by then and something better might be on the horizon. Either way I don't think it's worth it right now.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

All VR needs are good games/experiences.

And about 4K per eye

thats when I'll jump on the bandwagon ;) probably be about 5 years
    I got to wonder if people like this have tried REAL room scale VR or just thier phones in a piece of cardboard?
    Oculus dk1, dk2 and cv1

3d effects = awesome

tracking = flawless

resolution = not ready for primetime

current resolution looks like your playing in vga, screen door effect is terrible
    Wrong....you meant to say not ready for ENTHUSIASTS, but most certainly ready for mainstream tech wise. The only real barrier right now is price, period.
    Amusingly enough, the phone I use has better resolution than the CV1, or so I'm told. 

Not all phone VR rigs are created equal. The Gear VR is much closer to Rift and Vive than to Cardboard:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2016/08/new-gear-vr-best-100-phone-accessory-can-buy/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance