Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality setting in for VR and it's not good.

Comments

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    TENTING said:
    TENTING said:
    Lokero said:
    TENTING said:
    I cant predict the future, but watching the world, how it evolves and seeing how different needs are emerging over time, I honestly think that things like healthcare and the increasingly unified western emphasis on getting a fit healthy body, means that VR will in some form become part of every day life.

While the world moves ahead, older generations might stick to what we are most familiar with, but the newer generations will grow up and consider VR just a normal part of life.

And things like focusing on what you are actually doing, instead of flipping back and fourth between different things while gaming, I bid very welcome. 

In the last decade I have seen a growing trend, that a certain group inside MMORPG playerbases, can not actually manage to have a conversation going without losing focus. Simply because like pups, they see a flying eagle and sets off in an entirely different direction, completely forgetting people they are otherwise working with.

This will never change, but maybe VR can minimize the amount of distractions that makes teamwork and conversations very difficult.

If I were to mention some keywords that would describe the benefits of VR in the future it would be:

Fit and focused!     

That's a really bold prediction -- the focused part.  History is certainly not on your side.  As tech has evolved people have become less and less focused alongside it.

I think you are right to a degree.  I think VR will bring stronger focus, but that it will just be the next evolution of smart phones... as in, people will be so deep in their VR tunnel vision they'll forget about the rest of the world entirely for most of their day.  The evolution of addiction.

Sure it might be a diverse road that will have both its upsides and casualties, which I guess is the way of life with great many things.

However when educational systems, schools, colleges, universities etc. will embrace VR, our whole world will preform a giant leap again.

People will get healthier, live even longer than we do now. (because of sensor gadgets, things like threadmills for VR purposes)

Any person can jump in and learn about any subject they wish to at all ages, all knowledge available to practice and engage in. Want to be a baker? Well jump into VR and learn to bake your cakes, maybe in the company with many other people across the planet.

Third world countries who struggle getting education? Well the first world fonds VR helmets and there you go, bringing even more people up to speed, allowing them to learn together. Suddenly you have new countries full of educated people, ready to help their countries on par with everyone else. 

The possibilities are endless.

You sit at home one day, money is short, wanna travel with some people to a foreign country?  

Well jump right in and there you are, skipping the buss, the planes, the trains and you are with likeminded right away.

Gaming does not have exclusive rights to have VR evolve around their entertainment, this, VR and the gadgets that will be developed along with it, the millions of software programs that will be developed with it, it will be the end of the world as we know it, but what an amazing end it will be.

The new tomorrow is so bright, I just wish it would get here sooner. :)

So people are going to get healthier by sitting on their couch more instead of actually going out into the world?  

The VR I see in the future comes with gadgets that makes you move your whole body, when you move in the virtual world :) 

I use a word such as threadmill, cause its the closests I have seen as far as VR gadgets go, that comes close to a gadget that makes your character in the game move, when you walk on it in RL.

These things needs to be advanced.

A VR helm just to have a screen on my head is of no real interest to me either, that alone would not make anyone fit no :)

Your imagination is impressive but unfortunately I don't see it playing out in the real world anytime soon.  Personally I think Pokémon GO had a better chance of making the world (well younder generation) healthier then VR does. 

I believe you are right. The future my imagination produce is ahead of us, for some us it might not even become as advanced as Id like it to be, in our own lifetime.

But Im positive it will become reality and Im sure my imagination will be surpassed by even more advanced things than I can come up with.

Some day some of you will be watching your kids in VR, and ring a bell in the kitchen, that will be heard in their VR helm while they play, so you can call them out to dinner that way! Maybe :D

The VR helm as a stand alone object will not by itself cause the revolution in the way people live, but the butterfly effect that will follow, will create adventures surpassing our wildest imagination.

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

So people are going to get healthier by sitting on their couch more instead of actually going out into the world?  
    Tsk. You are misrepresenting what @TENTING said @Crusadecrusher

Real example. I cycle - thousands of kilometres in the spring/summer/autumn. In the winter though - not so much; I could but the cold, the ice, the dark. So I use a turbo trainer and like every item of gym equipment its boring. Mine however I put in front of a large TV and use this https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/ And rack up the kilometres.

And for something closer to Augmented Reality you can get this say https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536

Which is all Tenting is saying: tech is not confined to gaming.
    No I understand there is a small niche market for people like you but he said "make the world healthier" and I don't see VR doing no that. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

Real example. I cycle - thousands of kilometres in the spring/summer/autumn. In the winter though - not so much; I could but the cold, the ice, the dark. So I use a turbo trainer and like every item of gym equipment its boring. Mine however I put in front of a large TV and use this https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/ And rack up the kilometres.

And for something closer to Augmented Reality you can get this say https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536

No I understand there is a small niche market for people like you but he said "make the world healthier" and I don't see VR doing no that. 
    @Crusadercrusher Why are you so angry?

I am part of a niche market - really? Have you any idea how big the personal fitness market is? Sport in general? Education? Gaming is the niche by comparison.

However if you want to talk about how "tech" is making the world fitter Pokemon Go did that last summer. And there are a lot of examples of tech advances helping to solve - lets somewhat parochially say "third world issues". 

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

When they make those threadmills/wheels, you and me, we meet inside the first fully VR and VR gadget compatible MMORPG and race it!

You will probably be faster than me, but I will still race ya! ;)

After all the hype reality is setting for VR and it's not looking good.  From the psvr being projected to sell over 2 million units to only selling 700k to this years boring showing at CES VR is starting to show it's not mainstream and may never be.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/vr-disappoints-at-ces-2017-lenovo-oculus-htc/
    As I said before if - internally - a (VR) company expects to sell 300k but in Jan'2016 Superdata comes out with a 5M figure, revises it down to 2M in April, to 1M in May, 700k in August and 500k in October and at the end of the year the sales are 300k who has failed?

The VR company? Or Superdata - and all the "tech" bloggers cutting and pasting their guesstimates?

A lot of posters on this site are "not surprised" that "VR" didn't take the world by storm in 2017. Companies will have been no different. High hopes sure but grounded expectations. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    After all the hype reality is setting for VR and it's not looking good.  From the psvr being projected to sell over 2 million units to only selling 700k to this years boring showing at CES VR is starting to show it's not mainstream and may never be.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/vr-disappoints-at-ces-2017-lenovo-oculus-htc/
    VR is the future of gaming.

That 99% can not afford to buy them right now says nothing about the future.

These are just the first prototypes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

I am part of a niche market - really? Have you any idea how big the personal fitness market is? Sport in general? Education? Gaming is the niche by comparison.

However if you want to talk about how "tech" is making the world fitter Pokemon Go did that last summer. And there are a lot of examples of tech advances helping to solve - lets somewhat parochially say "third world issues". 

You are coming across as so angry - did you have a poor Christmas? Find a teddybear and give it a cuddle you will be better for it.
    Umm you are the only one coming across angry here pal.  Just because someone post information that doesn't bow down to your sheltered little life doesn't mean they are angry.  If you would step back and breathe a little here you would see I mentioned Pokémon go earlier.  Maybe you need to get on your little peddle bike and burn off some steam you seem a little worked up over this. 
    Still so angry. And being obnoxious as well now. Tsk! Cuddle your inner If you have a fitness tracker put it on and take it for a walk. 

Millions do have fitness trackers by the way. They are driving the development of smaller, cleverer, more power efficient  sensors that recognise body motion. And they transmit that data to a phone. Took them a while to crack the market though. Now how could that possibly have anything to do with VR. Nah - lets dismiss it as a niche market. Lol.

Doesn't look like you checked out my "pedal bike" links either. Real world - as in working and being used now - "VR" is available. You dismissed it as niche - yet one cycling app alone had 304 million uploads last year (6.8 billion kilometres of cycling). And there are other apps. Niche - sure.

VR is the future. Most posters on this site don't get worked up over a link that basically says what we have been saying throughout 2016 - and earlier.
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

You are coming across as so angry - did you have a poor Christmas? Find a teddybear and give it a cuddle you will be better for it.
    Umm you are the only one coming across angry here pal.  Just because someone post information that doesn't bow down to your sheltered little life doesn't mean they are angry.  If you would step back and breathe a little here you would see I mentioned Pokémon go earlier.  Maybe you need to get on your little peddle bike and burn off some steam you seem a little worked up over this. 
    Still so angry. And being obnoxious as well now. Tsk! Cuddle your inner If you have a fitness tracker put it on and take it for a walk. 

Millions do have fitness trackers by the way. They are driving the development of smaller, cleverer, more power efficient  sensors that recognise body motion. And they transmit that data to a phone. Took them a while to crack the market though. Now how could that possibly have anything to do with VR. Nah - lets dismiss it as a niche market. Lol.

Doesn't look like you checked out my "pedal bike" links either. Real world - as in working and being used now - "VR" is available. You dismissed it as niche - yet one cycling app alone had 304 million uploads last year (6.8 billion kilometres of cycling). And there are other apps. Niche - sure.

VR is the future. Most posters on this site don't get worked up over a link that basically says what we have been saying throughout 2016 - and earlier.
    First I'd love for you to show me where exactly you got I was angry anywhere on this thread.  Its rather sad you have to learn a simple life lesson but let me educate you here.  Because someone post information you don't like or doesn't agree with your little world doesn't mean they are angry.  Now replying to that thread all hostile like you have proves and is a fact you are the angry one.  

Fitness apps and VR are two completely different technologies.  I have a fitness app but I would never replace that with a VR headset.  It will be a long time before miles peddled on a peddle bike using VR top those using a fitness app...so sorry FACTS are hard for you because those are the facts.  

You sound like one of those special snowflake riders who think they are entitled to ride their little peddle bike in a car lane going 20mph below the speed limit...

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    VR will be appealing when you won't have to put a big ass device on your face to make it work.
    First we need to perfect holographic tech, then we can think about VR.
  • EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

First I'd love for you to show me where exactly you got I was angry anywhere on this thread.  Its rather sad you have to learn a simple life lesson but let me educate you here.  Because someone post information you don't like or doesn't agree with your little world doesn't mean they are angry.  Now replying to that thread all hostile like you have proves and is a fact you are the angry one.  

Fitness apps and VR are two completely different technologies.  I have a fitness app but I would never replace that with a VR headset.  It will be a long time before miles peddled on a peddle bike using VR top those using a fitness app...so sorry FACTS are hard for you because those are the facts.  

You sound like one of those special snowflake riders who think they are entitled to ride their little peddle bike in a car lane going 20mph below the speed limit...

Actually most roads around here that are not  Highway/interstate you are entitled to ride in the road with the cars on your bicycle.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    A: AR have been in development for over 40 years in one form or another... VR at best half of that. No shit AR has a advantage. AR also have had soem seriously big names like Boeing and NASA behind it pumping in money... Yes it is ways ahead and it is also a easier tech to apply. 

B: VR will never be big with couch gaming, but that is a microscopic part of the use for the tech. The future is bright.

This have been a good conversation

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    fs23otm said:
    VR is a fad, and will always be a fad. Some big, bulky equipment does not have mass appeal. It has application in education and some other fields... but it is still limited. 

AR, is the real evolution. It has wide field applications, and potential for mass entertainment development. The devices just need to become more cost effective. 
    I dunno, I think VR and AR will meld together into one thing in the future.

But yeah, VR wont be mainstream until they make far lighter and more comfortable gear for it, just like AR like Microsofts AR needs to become far easier to run (or the computers still need to be faster which will happen with time).

Basically are the gear rather similar, you need glasses and also cameras if you plan to move around for both so I just think it is logical that gear capable of both AR and VR will be made inn the not so far future.

What info do you think you have posted that I don't agree with? The bit about tech not helping e.g. fitness - this from the person who now says they have a fitness tracker! Or posting info that VR hasn't - supposedly - had a good year in 2016? That few on this forum expected to happen. Did "VR" fail however or was it the companies that hyped it? Think about it.

Remember you are the one that dismissed fitness stuff as niche! I simply gave an example of how VR has other uses. I could have talked about what is happening in cars - which is augmented reality but the bike example is better as there is both VR and AR. 

Maybe you can't see the bigger picture. Do you really believe that "Fitness apps and VR are two completely different things"? Fitness trackers have / are helping to drive the development of movement sensor technology - smaller, lighter, cheaper, more power efficient. As well as the software. VR - looking ahead - will incorporate sensor technology. Rarely will a company develop its own components if they already exist. So VR devices could easily have exactly the same sensors as fitness trackers.

The big picture is about connected techological advances. 
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:

What info do you think you have posted that I don't agree with? The bit about tech not helping e.g. fitness - this from the person who now says they have a fitness tracker! Or posting info that VR hasn't - supposedly - had a good year in 2016? That few on this forum expected to happen. Did "VR" fail however or was it the companies that hyped it? Think about it.

Remember you are the one that dismissed fitness stuff as niche! I simply gave an example of how VR has other uses. I could have talked about what is happening in cars - which is augmented reality but the bike example is better as there is both VR and AR. 

Maybe you can't see the bigger picture. Do you really believe that "Fitness apps and VR are two completely different things"? Fitness trackers have / are helping to drive the development of movement sensor technology - smaller, lighter, cheaper, more power efficient. As well as the software. VR - looking ahead - will incorporate sensor technology. Rarely will a company develop its own components if they already exist. So VR devices could easily have exactly the same sensors as fitness trackers.

No little buddy I said "VR for fitness is niche" I said nothing about fitness apps you brought that up because you were TRIGGERED by something you misread...hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed. 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:

No little buddy I said "VR for fitness is niche" I said nothing about fitness apps you brought that up because you were TRIGGERED by something you misread...hey better luck next time understanding what is being discussed. 
    What's with the "ray of sunshine" attitude, though? Why do you always come across so pissed off? Remember you're posting on a video game forum, lol.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    fs23otm said:
    VR is a fad, and will always be a fad. Some big, bulky equipment does not have mass appeal. It has application in education and some other fields... but it is still limited. 

AR, is the real evolution. It has wide field applications, and potential for mass entertainment development. The devices just need to become more cost effective. 
    I'd love to borrow the palantir you're using for clairvoyance; I have some cash on hand I'd like to invest in the stock market.  Actually, I've heard some things about the side effects so maybe I'll pass :smile:
    Having great fun with my ps4 Vr, the Op makes me want to yawn and fall asleep. 
    Why does it seem it's the PS players who are overly defensive about their VR?  Nobody bashed your psvr here just pointed out that 700k units isn't anything to celebrate I mean in the same amount of time Kinect sold 8 million units when it launched.  I own both an xb1s and PS4 i don't have either a Kinect or psvr.  They are both niche products and in my opinion (and current market trends) will remain that way. 
    You're glossing over the fact that Gear VR, according to Samsung, has released 5 million units into the wild so far.  Isn't that better than predicted?  It seems like you are choosing to focus only on the negative regarding this tech.

Having used Gear VR for four months now, I am cautiously optimistic about the future.

TENTING said:
    gervaise1 said:
    TENTING said:

When they make those threadmills/wheels, you and me, we meet inside the first fully VR and VR gadget compatible MMORPG and race it!

You will probably be faster than me, but I will still race ya! ;)

The "first fully VR and VR gadget compatible MMORPG" has existed since 2013.  I am currently playing it. Several more are in development, I believe.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited January 2017
    Cecropia said:
    gervaise1 said:

What's with the "ray of sunshine" attitude, though? Why do you always come across so pissed off? Remember you're posting on a video game forum, lol.
    Again posting info and facts that don't  agree with you doesn't mean a person is "pissed off". 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I keyed on the keywords "not looking good", "projected", and "boring" which tells me this is far more an opinion piece. A couple things are known. First is that this is just the initial wave of released VR so the tech is just starting out on top of a limited pool of supporting programs. Second is that a handful of companies released VR so to comment on the VR industry in its entirety requires looking at them all.

I think VR will continue to become more promenant as the tech improves and uses expand. The ability to be "somewhere else" for any of the above reasons can exponentially depend on how genuine it is. VR improves that.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

All VR needs are good games/experiences.

And about 4K per eye

thats when I'll jump on the bandwagon ;) probably be about 5 years

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

And about 4K per eye

I got to wonder if people like this have tried REAL room scale VR or just thier phones in a piece of cardboard?
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited January 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    TBH I want VR for simply use it as a "monitor", like playing a FPS with my screen wrapped around my face rather than something with a gimmick like most of the lame VR game has (where you just stand and crouch while shooting).

Since young I played around the idea of watching something or playing something inside the (Shadowrun) Matrix. VR is the closest thing we have to having a cable on your forehead (which I would enjoy, NASA call me).

They are still figuring out who like what and why... The soon they find out not every VR experience should be delivered using the same standard set of tools (or gimmicks) the better will be for the future of it.

Like... How much far away are we from buying online tickets for a show in which you go "live" using a VR headset and having the option to look the said show from the crowd perspective or from the show floor, behind the scenes, from X or so angles.

Enough "stand here and shoot stuff" and "journey through under the ocean" already.
    Indeed.

I want VR but right now feel it's a tad too expensive.  It will be my version of a triple monitor set up or for use in a "portable" simpit.

I also hope if I hold out a little we will see some bigger res or some other solution to get rid of  the screen door effect as it apparently still visible even if you do get use to it.

Unlike some I do not think it will require 4k per eye to get rid of SD effect.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:

And about 4K per eye

I got to wonder if people like this have tried REAL room scale VR or just thier phones in a piece of cardboard?
    Oculus dk1, dk2 and cv1

3d effects = awesome

tracking = flawless

resolution = not ready for primetime

current resolution looks like your playing in vga, screen door effect is terrible

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

ianicus said:
    lol at this thread. Ive got to wonder if the OP has even tried VR yet. I put on the Vive at my buds house and was sold instantly, and they presented the wireless accessory at CES, which will make it even better! unreal.

Anyway, to think VR is a passing fad is just ridiculous...
    Sales this year say you are wrong...so the only LOL going on is at you.  Btw there is a rather large difference between "not mainstream" (what I said) and a "passing fad" which is somehow what you comprehended the post to state...
    I get it bro you dont like VR, good for you, but there are PLENTY of folks that do, more than enough to keep them designing new and better equipment and software. People like you need to stop posting opinion pieces in place of fact to support your OPINION. I dont own a VR headset and dont plan to for a while, but you haven't ever confirmed if you have put one on (gear VR does not count). Until you've tried it and constructed an informed opinion, pipe down. If you have tried it, why didnt you like it? make your own opinions, dont borrow others.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    laserit said:
    ianicus said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:

And about 4K per eye

Oculus dk1, dk2 and cv1

3d effects = awesome

tracking = flawless

resolution = not ready for primetime

current resolution looks like your playing in vga, screen door effect is terrible
    Wrong....you meant to say not ready for ENTHUSIASTS, but most certainly ready for mainstream tech wise. The only real barrier right now is price, period.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited January 2017
    wrong.  but some blogger thinks so and i guess thats enough for the OP to make a decision about the industry.  The blogger Ian Sher, well who is that.  I guess he's the Bill Gates of the VR industry.  Nope.  Pretty blanket assumption about the future of an industry.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.