Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality setting in for VR and it's not good.

CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
After all the hype reality is setting for VR and it's not looking good.  From the psvr being projected to sell over 2 million units to only selling 700k to this years boring showing at CES VR is starting to show it's not mainstream and may never be.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/vr-disappoints-at-ces-2017-lenovo-oculus-htc/

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    edited January 2017
    Yawn. 

Some tech blogger thinks it's a shame. Life goes on. This sentence in particular seems to show surprisingly little depth of understanding for what conferences like CES are "about", particularly for CNET: "Most VR companies at CES 2017 are talking about things few consumers will think about, like new sensor technology and software development tools."

Sensor tech and software development tools are probably two of the most important things that have to happen for VR in the near term. 

Meanwhile, you have Samsung confirming at the same conference that they have moved 5 million Gear VR units so far (I own one), which I think is pretty impressive.

Glass half empty, much? 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Good thing they made a ton of money early on when all those terrible wasteful spenders jumped on the bandwagon.They could go out and hire real good lawyers to battle the recent case of accusations the tech was stolen from other VR developers for these early VR builds.

They could also use that money to further market their product,get sponsored media sites to glorify their products.They could get partnered with game devs to also work together in telling you how great it is going to be.

Then get YouTubers to play some total garbage game and tell viewers "this is amazing fun,i LOVE it" and all the naive people buy into it and they turn around and tell everyone how great it is.

I knew from the beginning just looking at game designs that devs were not going to now go that extra mile to make their games better and cater to VR,added time,added cost,no thanks but if we can add it in real cheap we'll do it because the gimmick alone might make us some added sales.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Intel were showing of their "VR" as well - not a major player though obviously.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

All VR needs are good games/experiences.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    lol at this thread. Ive got to wonder if the OP has even tried VR yet. I put on the Vive at my buds house and was sold instantly, and they presented the wireless accessory at CES, which will make it even better! unreal.

Anyway, to think VR is a passing fad is just ridiculous...
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    VR
    - not co op friendly
    - not multi-tasker friendly
    - not streamer friendly
    - have to wear headgear
    - expensive
    - not many games
    - technology still doesn't utilize eye detection

it is highly immersive, but compare that to other non VR games you have been immersed in, if your into it what's the difference VR or no VR, your enjoying what your doing.

I think good VR is still about 10 years out, the units out now are cool for a few weeks then it gets old. With that, no it's not looking good right now for VR, but it does have potential.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    ianicus said:
    lol at this thread. Ive got to wonder if the OP has even tried VR yet. I put on the Vive at my buds house and was sold instantly, and they presented the wireless accessory at CES, which will make it even better! unreal.

Anyway, to think VR is a passing fad is just ridiculous...
    Sales this year say you are wrong...so the only LOL going on is at you.  Btw there is a rather large difference between "not mainstream" (what I said) and a "passing fad" which is somehow what you comprehended the post to state...
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited January 2017
    VR
    - not multi-tasker friendly

You know, I think this one is going to be the VR killer for me. When I game I'm also doing other things as well. Sipping on my coffee when I have the chance, taking an odd written note, shooing the cat away, checking the caller ID to decide if I'm going to answer the phone, munching on a sandwich, and so on. Heck, I couldn't even get used to using Track IR (which can be turned off/on fairly easily), and I finally decided I simply loathed the damn thing.

I'm sure I might find VR fun for a few hours, but exactly what then? 100% focus required is just not the way I play video games.

• HigherhoHigherho Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I love my psvr/ better sensors and software is all I need.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I cant predict the future, but watching the world, how it evolves and seeing how different needs are emerging over time, I honestly think that things like healthcare and the increasingly unified western emphasis on getting a fit healthy body, means that VR will in some form become part of every day life.

While the world moves ahead, older generations might stick to what we are most familiar with, but the newer generations will grow up and consider VR just a normal part of life.

And things like focusing on what you are actually doing, instead of flipping back and fourth between different things while gaming, I bid very welcome. 

In the last decade I have seen a growing trend, that a certain group inside MMORPG playerbases, can not actually manage to have a conversation going without losing focus. Simply because like pups, they see a flying eagle and sets off in an entirely different direction, completely forgetting people they are otherwise working with.

This will never change, but maybe VR can minimize the amount of distractions that makes teamwork and conversations very difficult.

If I were to mention some keywords that would describe the benefits of VR in the future it would be:

Fit and focused!     

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    TENTING said:
    I cant predict the future, but watching the world, how it evolves and seeing how different needs are emerging over time, I honestly think that things like healthcare and the increasingly unified western emphasis on getting a fit healthy body, means that VR will in some form become part of every day life.

While the world moves ahead, older generations might stick to what we are most familiar with, but the newer generations will grow up and consider VR just a normal part of life.

And things like focusing on what you are actually doing, instead of flipping back and fourth between different things while gaming, I bid very welcome. 

In the last decade I have seen a growing trend, that a certain group inside MMORPG playerbases, can not actually manage to have a conversation going without losing focus. Simply because like pups, they see a flying eagle and sets off in an entirely different direction, completely forgetting people they are otherwise working with.

This will never change, but maybe VR can minimize the amount of distractions that makes teamwork and conversations very difficult.

If I were to mention some keywords that would describe the benefits of VR in the future it would be:

Fit and focused!     

That's a really bold prediction -- the focused part.  History is certainly not on your side.  As tech has evolved people have become less and less focused alongside it.

I think you are right to a degree.  I think VR will bring stronger focus, but that it will just be the next evolution of smart phones... as in, people will be so deep in their VR tunnel vision they'll forget about the rest of the world entirely for most of their day.  The evolution of addiction.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Having great fun with my ps4 Vr, the Op makes me want to yawn and fall asleep. 

Lokero said:
    TENTING said:

Fit and focused!     

That's a really bold prediction -- the focused part.  History is certainly not on your side.  As tech has evolved people have become less and less focused alongside it.

I think you are right to a degree.  I think VR will bring stronger focus, but that it will just be the next evolution of smart phones... as in, people will be so deep in their VR tunnel vision they'll forget about the rest of the world entirely for most of their day.  The evolution of addiction.

Sure it might be a diverse road that will have both its upsides and casualties, which I guess is the way of life with great many things.

However when educational systems, schools, colleges, universities etc. will embrace VR, our whole world will preform a giant leap again.

People will get healthier, live even longer than we do now. (because of sensor gadgets, things like threadmills for VR purposes)

Any person can jump in and learn about any subject they wish to at all ages, all knowledge available to practice and engage in. Want to be a baker? Well jump into VR and learn to bake your cakes, maybe in the company with many other people across the planet.

Third world countries who struggle getting education? Well the first world fonds VR helmets and there you go, bringing even more people up to speed, allowing them to learn together. Suddenly you have new countries full of educated people, ready to help their countries on par with everyone else. 

The possibilities are endless.

You sit at home one day, money is short, wanna travel with some people to a foreign country?  

Well jump right in and there you are, skipping the buss, the planes, the trains and you are with likeminded right away.

Gaming does not have exclusive rights to have VR evolve around their entertainment, this, VR and the gadgets that will be developed along with it, the millions of software programs that will be developed with it, it will be the end of the world as we know it, but what an amazing end it will be.

The new tomorrow is so bright, I just wish it would get here sooner. :)

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited January 2017
    I think you have something there Tenting, but I'm not sure your preference is necessarily better. Just different. It's like you're comparing action gamers with strategy gamers, and calling the latter group lazy and unfocused. Where I'd say we're much better equipped to stop and smell the roses once in a while. A play style that does have it's own merits.

What I will grant you, though,  is that action gaming appears to be on the ascendancy and strategy gaming the decline.

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108
    vr is awesome. i had htc vive at home but i returned it like immediately. i tell you why. like i said, vr is awesome but the technology needs to improve. AT LEAST 4k screens, no wires and i dont wanna use some sticks as a controllers. they have to be gloves like.
    and another thing. almost all the games for vr look like a crap. no idea why. its 21st century but the graphics looks like from 90's! seriously?!

watch this. and you will see what i mean.

Pynda said:
    I think you have something there Tenting, but I'm not sure your preference is necessarily better. Just different. It's like you're comparing action gamers with strategy gamers, and calling the latter group lazy and unfocused. Where I'd say we're much better equipped to stop and smell the roses once in a while. A play style that does have it's own merits.

What I will grant you, though,  is that action gaming appears to be on the ascendancy and strategy gaming the decline.

I love toying with my imagination here, gives a certain sense of thrill to imagine the future as an adventure to come.

So I cant help but say, in the future, you will not only be able to smell the roses, you will be able to plant your own garden of roses. :D 

But that said, I think the current design of VR helmets might not fully allow things like eating during sessions, but further down the road, this will be an issue that will be solved.

You and I (maybe) might not like the idea of contact lenses as VR equipment, but I dont know, if I can take a walk with you in one of your rosegardens in the future, I will poke myself in the eyes if I have to :) 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I've tried Doom in VR and I'm sold. As soon as that or the next Resident Evil come out I'm buying.

All VR needs are good games/experiences.
    Agreed. Right now is the VR kit like a newly released console with a few doubtful games on. VR needs good games to sell, preferably good games particularly made to be fun in VR.

Personally do I think it need games like Gran turismo and similar simulator games, there is where the tech work best in it's current state. Something like Microsofts Combat flight sim would help as well.

VR will fail without good games but so would any console.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    TENTING said:

Sure it might be a diverse road that will have both its upsides and casualties, which I guess is the way of life with great many things.

However when educational systems, schools, colleges, universities etc. will embrace VR, our whole world will preform a giant leap again.

People will get healthier, live even longer than we do now. (because of sensor gadgets, things like threadmills for VR purposes)

Any person can jump in and learn about any subject they wish to at all ages, all knowledge available to practice and engage in. Want to be a baker? Well jump into VR and learn to bake your cakes, maybe in the company with many other people across the planet.

Third world countries who struggle getting education? Well the first world fonds VR helmets and there you go, bringing even more people up to speed, allowing them to learn together. Suddenly you have new countries full of educated people, ready to help their countries on par with everyone else. 

You sit at home one day, money is short, wanna travel with some people to a foreign country?  

Well jump right in and there you are, skipping the buss, the planes, the trains and you are with likeminded right away.

Gaming does not have exclusive rights to have VR evolve around their entertainment, this, VR and the gadgets that will be developed along with it, the millions of software programs that will be developed with it, it will be the end of the world as we know it, but what an amazing end it will be.

I get what you are saying, it would make things more accessible(visual/interactive aids can be a powerful learning tool)... but as far as learning and education, there's nothing stopping that from being the case right now. 
    Anyone could jump in and learn to be a baker right now if that was really their desire, just with internet videos and websites.

We already have the knowledge of the entire world and all of human history available to us on the internet, practically.
    But, what do people spend most of their time doing with it?  Playing on Facebook and actually regressing educationally.  Education is getting worse with technology, not better.  Many of the youth of today can't do basic math and spelling, etc. -- and that's in first-world countries.

People are leaning on technology and electronics as a crutch and substituting it for any real effort and learning of their own.
    The level of knowledge and resources at our fingertips right now, today, is staggering and something unbelievably amazing, yet, the general public is actually on a downward spiral from previous generations. 

Sure, everyone today knows how to log into the internet and access social media or watch videos, but they couldn't do basic multiplication or spell out a five letter word on their own.

I like your vision and would love to see that materialize, but I'm not the optimist you are ;)
    Lokero said:
    TENTING said:

I get what you are saying, it would make things more accessible(visual/interactive aids can be a powerful learning tool)... but as far as learning and education, there's nothing stopping that from being the case right now. 
    Anyone could jump in and learn to be a baker right now if that was really their desire, just with internet videos and websites.

We already have the knowledge of the entire world and all of human history available to us on the internet, practically.
    But, what do people spend most of their time doing with it?  Playing on Facebook and actually regressing educationally.  Education is getting worse with technology, not better.  Many of the youth of today can't do basic math and spelling, etc. -- and that's in first-world countries.

People are leaning on technology and electronics as a crutch and substituting it for any real effort and learning of their own.
    The level of knowledge and resources at our fingertips right now, today, is staggering and something unbelievably amazing, yet, the general public is actually on a downward spiral from previous generations. 

Sure, everyone today knows how to log into the internet and access social media or watch videos, but they couldn't do basic multiplication or spell out a five letter word on their own.

I like your vision and would love to see that materialize, but I'm not the optimist you are ;)

I like your style and I see where you are coming from, independent and willfull, you do fine with what we have now, its great :)  

Id just like to add one thing. Id much rather put on my VR helm and join you in your kitchen and bake a cake together with you, talking with you real time, than watch a boring video on the internet watching you talk about your amazing cake.

When we start moving our bodies and become much more interactive with the media we are using, then we will learn so much better and faster and have so much more fun.

Is what I believe anyway, but I fully follow your wiew.

I did not get a colored tv before some time in the 90ies, cause why? the black and white worked just fine :D  

Having great fun with my ps4 Vr, the Op makes me want to yawn and fall asleep. 
    Why does it seem it's the PS players who are overly defensive about their VR?  Nobody bashed your psvr here just pointed out that 700k units isn't anything to celebrate I mean in the same amount of time Kinect sold 8 million units when it launched.  I own both an xb1s and PS4 i don't have either a Kinect or psvr.  They are both niche products and in my opinion (and current market trends) will remain that way. 
    TENTING said:
    Lokero said:
    TENTING said:

Fit and focused!     

So people are going to get healthier by sitting on their couch more instead of actually going out into the world?  
    edited January 2017
    TENTING said:
    Lokero said:
    TENTING said:

Fit and focused!     

So people are going to get healthier by sitting on their couch more instead of actually going out into the world?  

The VR I see in the future comes with gadgets that makes you move your whole body, when you move in the virtual world :) 

I use a word such as threadmill, cause its the closests I have seen as far as VR gadgets go, that comes close to a gadget that makes your character in the game move, when you walk on the threadmill in RL.

Furthermore Id like clothing with sensor touch. When you bump into things ingame, you feel the sensation in RL. Clothes with inbuilt temperature regulators, when its cold ingame, the temperature lowers in your clothes, same with heat, the temperature rises.

These things needs to be advanced.

A VR helm just to have a screen on my head is of no real interest to me either, that alone would not make anyone fit no :)

TENTING said:
    TENTING said:
    Lokero said:
    TENTING said:

Fit and focused!     

The VR I see in the future comes with gadgets that makes you move your whole body, when you move in the virtual world :) 

I use a word such as threadmill, cause its the closests I have seen as far as VR gadgets go, that comes close to a gadget that makes your character in the game move, when you walk on it in RL.

These things needs to be advanced.

A VR helm just to have a screen on my head is of no real interest to me either, that alone would not make anyone fit no :)

Your imagination is impressive but unfortunately I don't see it playing out in the real world anytime soon.  Personally I think Pokémon GO had a better chance of making the world (well younder generation) healthier then VR does. 
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    VR is a fad, and will always be a fad. Some big, bulky equipment does not have mass appeal. It has application in education and some other fields... but it is still limited. 

AR, is the real evolution. It has wide field applications, and potential for mass entertainment development. The devices just need to become more cost effective. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    TENTING said:

Tsk. You are misrepresenting what @TENTING said @Crusadecrusher

Real example. I cycle - thousands of kilometres in the spring/summer/autumn. In the winter though - not so much; I could but the cold, the ice, the dark. So I use a turbo trainer and like every item of gym equipment its boring. Mine however I put in front of a large TV and use this https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/ And rack up the kilometres.

And for something closer to Augmented Reality you can get this say https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536

Which is all Tenting is saying: tech is not confined to gaming.