Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype Meter changes

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
It's obvious that the Hype meter can/has/is being manipulated so I figured I would create a thread to discuss possible ways to mitigate that.

My suggestion:

• Weight votes based on account longevity.  This can be as simply as making it .5 for those less than 6 months, 1 for those between 6 months and a year and 2 for those created a year or more.
  • Allow voting each month.  If you do not vote, your hype returns to a non-vote
  • Use the average of current month plus prior month.  This will prevent a group from spamming the site with 1000 votes and then disappearing.

I'm sure we have folks that can improve on that.  I just suggest it not be too complicated.  Keep it simple, but fair.

So lets hear the ideas!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    @MikeB Is it intentional that Site Suggestion posts not show up on the front page activity log?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited January 2017
    Don't like the idea of having to re-hype every month.

Do like the idea of weighting accounts based on longevity or post count, or ranking or something. Basically anything that prevents people from just creating accounts to vote. Maybe no voting until the account is a month old. Silent flagging of accounts from same IP, disregarding additional votes from other accounts.

Using previous month to average would be good.

I would also suggest a minimum number of votes just to make the list. Maybe 200+. Anything below that just attracts further votes for a games no one has even heard of or follows like the Epocalypse thing.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A lot of games launch unfinished so no pre-orders unless it's a part of a successful series.  Better to wait and get the game at a discount.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Year old hype is year old hype, definitely like the decay idea. Take away the 1-10 system and just allow for a hype button that you can click when the time period refreshes.

Hype should definitely represent current interest, not an anticipated quality of a game from early development.