Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating an Immersive World - 1st vs 3rd Person Explained - Sea of Thieves News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCreating an Immersive World - 1st vs 3rd Person Explained - Sea of Thieves News

The Sea of Thieves site has been updated with a new developer blog post by Lead Designer Mike

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    I was looking forward to this one, and I'm sure they won't miss me, but I'm over games that can't offer 1st and 3rd person options. Until technology reaches a level where the field of view/peripheral sight is a little more natural/expanded, there's no excuse for a game with melee combat to not have the option.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I can't wait for this game!
  • coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Next blog will be about capturing ultra realistic cricket noises... The sad truth is this will be the most immersive pirate simulator ever built, but with zero real content.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Respect. I miss first-person perspectives so, so much.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If they keep that view point for ship combat as well then I'm definitely in. One of the things that irked me about PotBS was the ridiculous high angle bird's eye view of ship combat. Assassins Creed Black Flag was a lot better in that regard though I would like to see it even more fine tuned down to the actual first person view of the captain. That would be immersive as hell. *crosses fingers*

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    edited January 2017

I was looking forward to this one, and I'm sure they won't miss me, but I'm over games that can't offer 1st and 3rd person options. Until technology reaches a level where the field of view/peripheral sight is a little more natural/expanded, there's no excuse for a game with melee combat to not have the option.

You may see having options of first or third person to be a good thing.

Any game that has first and third becomes third-person only.

Some of us that enjoy First-person games often feel that a game is ruined by having third person option added in as we will have to play in third-person to remain competitive.
    Also Mount and Blade is awesome in first person.(fps/Melee)
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    My issue with first person view is that it's like wearing blinders. It is far more limiting than in real life where your fov is created by all of you senses working together along with your head and eyes moving creating a far larger effective fov than any game creates. Even using a surround sound headset doesn't bring 1st person restriction anywhere close to reality. It is all very frustrating at time.

This is why I prefer a limited 3rd person locked closer to your character. I can see 1st person becoming better in true virtual reality but even multiple screens feels far more limited than real life. That said, if everyone is locked into 1st person then it isn't a game balance issue ... it is simply a personal frustration that I find hard to adapt to. The only game I adapted to was a fps called Day of Defeat which was likely more to do with playing it so much and it's amazing surround sound for the day. Even later fps games seemed to put sound too far below graphics and ruined it once again for me.

Sadly I can't seem to find enough details yet on this game to really formulate an opinion on it. Looks like it's designed more for fun and not extreme hardcore which ruined too many pirate games for me.

You stay sassy!

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

You may see having options of first or third person to be a good thing.

Any game that has first and third becomes third-person only.

Some of us that enjoy First-person games often feel that a game is ruined by having third person option added in as we will have to play in third-person to remain competitive.
    Also Mount and Blade is awesome in first person.(fps/Melee)
    This is the basic truth.  Any game that offers 3rd person pigeon-holes you into 3rd person if you want to be on par with everyone else.

Given how many games have abandoned first-person over the last several years, it's nice to see someone willing to build a high-quality game for it.

I understand alot of people just can't seem to play first-person for whatever reasons, and I get that it sucks for them, but as we all know, not every game will appeal to every type of person.

I also agree with what folks about like Tamanous said -- First person in games is definitely far more limiting than IRL.  Still, I find it far more immersive and enjoyable than third person even with it being limited.

I do wonder, though, if Rare is simply taking that hardcore stance simply so that they can integrate VR along the way.  You know that must play at least some part.
    Microsoft should be releasing the upgraded XBox1 later this year, after all, and this would be one of the more fitting games to market it for VR and whatnot.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2017
    I understand they prefer to make their game in first person. That is their choice and that is totally fine, but STOP assuming everyone gets immersed in a game just because its in first person. That is the first thing that takes me out of every game world. I don't get immersed in a video game if i cannot see the character im playing as. First person may be more immersive in VR, but not with a controller/kb&m. At least not for me.

Again, nothing wrong with them wanting to make their game in first person, but clearly they considered other options and the excuse they gave for not offering both choices is lame, and sad. Im not looking through the eyes of any character(let roleplayers pretend they are), im controlling my character with a flipping gamepad so i want to see him/her in action.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Yeah, when whoever it was said 1st person is more immersive he really should have added, "for me" or, "in my opinion".  It certainly isn't more immersive for me.  So whatever, grats to you people who want a 1st person only game but that's a deal breaker for me.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    First person view takes me out of the equation.  I find it less immersive and more restrictive to my overall view.  
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It doesn't matter too much to me either way, so long as I can still customize my looks for all the ladies that are men I meet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83

Torval said:

First person only is too tunnel-vision for me. I hate it so I'll pass on this one. When realistic first person is available with peripheral vision then maybe.

If you have 3 monitors you get to have peripheral vision, 5760x1080 ftw :)
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Im really looking forward to this one and I actually like the fact that this is in first person view only. But I do know my other half cannot play certain games in first person as it kicks in her motion sickness. For me it is really dependant on the genre/style of game whether I prefer first or third person view.

The problem I find with third person view in some games is that you can easily make use of character position and camera rotation to see things you would not have been able to normally see had it been in first person. In certain genre's of games I find that is more of an immersion killer and puts me off playing them.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    This was a title on my radar, but now its confirmed to be 1st person im out.
    Having 3rd person options isnt enough for me.

• NoicNoic Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited January 2017
    When being able to choose in (MMO)RPG- or racing-games. I always prefer 3rd person. Anyone mixing perspective in one game, e.g. GTA (boat, car, walking, gunning...)? Artstyle looks gorgeous though. So many titles to look forward to in 2017!
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Despite what some people may think, im sure they utilized polls and research when thy say "first person is more immersive". Some people may think its not as a personal preference, but id bet there would be a solid majority that do. I played skyrim 100% FP and never felt more immersed.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited January 2017
    "players only see what is in range of vision, not what is behind, again enhancing immersion
    it provides a more realistic view of the world"

Though claims to that effect are commonly made, they're not merely wrong, but obviously ridiculous.  My peripheral vision extends beyond the boundaries of my monitors.  How about yours?

Plenty of games with a third person perspective have had a fog of war of sorts where characters sufficiently behind you simply aren't drawn on your screen.  That allows whatever range of vision you want--potentially similar to peripheral vision in real life if you want to go that route.  First person tunnel vision can't do that.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Torval said:

First person only is too tunnel-vision for me. I hate it so I'll pass on this one. When realistic first person is available with peripheral vision then maybe.

If you have 3 monitors you get to have peripheral vision, 5760x1080 ftw :)
    That depends on how games use the extra pixels.  Some simply take the same image as before and stretch it over more space so you can't see any more than someone with an 800x600 resolution.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ianicus said:

I played skyrim 100% FP and never felt more immersed.

I played Skyrim 100% in Third person and never felt more immersed too. I only changed to first person on tight dungeon corridors to avoid camera clipping. Both perspectives worked very well in Skyrim, more games should offer both. They are missing on a lot of money by solely catering to the FPS crowd. But hey, its their game so they do what they feel is right for them.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I think that their reasoning is a load of BS.

In RPGs it is clear that people prefer 3rd person because we know and understand that we are not that character, but we are role playing that character. So every detail from the character creation becomes personalized.

Also, as far as PVP goes, having an option for 3rd and 1st person does work. Planetside did it well.

The immersion argument does not make sense unless you are totally into a VR setup. Here is me staring at my 19" 1080P monitor, with my dog farting to my right and my girlfriend yapping on my left and I only have 19" of screen and about 30% FOV.

Not really sure what they are on about, immersion...this sounds like the next "no more trinity" crap.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I think that their reasoning is a load of BS.
    I really think they are just gearing up for Microsoft's VR projects.  Sea of Thieves is a Win10 and Xbox1 exclusive, so it stands to reason.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    ianicus said:
    Despite what some people may think, im sure they utilized polls and research when thy say "first person is more immersive".
    This is speculation and quite possibly inaccurate.  EA, Blizzard and Bioware have  utilized feedback from marketing firms which told them 1st person alienates more gamers.  Third person view was determined to be a safer choice to bring in more people to play games. DFC intelligence was involved with this research along with two other companies.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Some detail on the ships,stuff to do/use on ships is nice but big nameplates over player heads,loses immersion.
    Seems if your drunk you will stagger and have trouble walking straight,again pretty cool.
    However in about 20 minutes i saw all the game has to offer.Even the people in early access have no clue what they are suppose to be doing.sooooooooo

Drink,navigate a boat,engage in pvp via canons/boat or other and then who knows,likely quests with yellow markers over npc heads.

The really good is that the interaction on board your ship is pretty good,with damage taken and taking on water etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    The fact they hammer how immersive the choice is to go first person suggests that they can't commit fully to supporting third person for whatever reason. Could be from pressure to code for VR from Microsoft, or could be for any other number of technical reasons, but I definitely get the vibe that their hand is forced to first person for this by how strongly it's being justified.