Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW 2?

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
     To much high risk I say when MMO are just not big money maker starting off. Just think just add all you want from a WoW2 and see how much will cost you. Then with all the box sales and the sub cost won't make that money back until 5 to 10 years, unless people get tricked to spend money on lockbox for things they don't need or want.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Personally, WoW 2 would be a great thing for me.  I have some issues with graphics, art, and some of the llimiting capabilities of WoW.  

But some of you folks are correct.  

WoW is currently still generating millions per month just on subs alone.  And the expectation level of WoW 2 would be through the roof.  People compare D3 to D1 and are salty because D3 is not D1.  People compare GW2 to GW1 and are salty that it is not GW1.

Unfortunate.

But flipping back, whats also unfortunate, is that I am beginning to lose interest in WoW again after my longest stint in the game since cata (now 4.5 months).  I dont think I want to raid anymore, or at least with my current "progression, but not so progression because people can't handle criticizm" guild.  But I don't see much point in playing WoW if I am not raiding.  Level alts until I am blue in the face?  Gear them with LFR gear till ~850?  Then what?  Start the next alt?  Ive done it 2-3 times already, aside from my main that is 875.  

And its sad, because there are things about WoW that I like and I have devoted a lot of time into WoW.  Its just getting old to me again, and there are other games, some MMO and some not, that are pulling my interest much more right now (BF1, Black Desert online(!!!!), Elite Dangerous, PoE)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,162
    edited January 2017
    Also, a new IP is not Blizzard's strength.  

*looks at OverWatch* 

Suuuure. =P 

But then again... Hindsight. 

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    cesmode8 said:
     I dont think I want to raid anymore, or at least with my current "progression, but not so progression because people can't handle criticizm" guild.  But I don't see much point in playing WoW if I am not raiding.  Level alts until I am blue in the face?  Gear them with LFR gear till ~850?  Then what?  Start the next alt?  Ive done it 2-3 times already, aside from my main that is 875.  

That right there, thats exactly the final wall I ran into 4 years ago. But then I adapted and just flew around for a year and just enjoyed myself mining and picking herbs, earning gold for BMAH mounts and TGC mounts, was alright transition and fun tbh. Was hanging out with an active social guild in chat.
     Then came WoD and they removed flying, so we had to sit around and wait for flying till midway xpac.
    WoD also killed every single social guild ever in existance it seemed, so we were left with sitting in Garison and speak to people in public chats while fishing for the turtles, which was actually also okay decent time spent.
     40 man turtle fishing, okay fun and the global chats were active enough, and an ok alternative now that a lot of social guilds had gotten the final blow.

Then Legion came and its game over now. Bgs are the last bastion where casual / social gamers meet up and have fun (though some of us have way more fun than others).

Still, the realisation that WoW narrowed down the target audience, so if you are not really interested in raiding, very much means that the game basicly isnt for other kinds of players anymore, man that stung.

It stung so bad. But things change I guess. Happens enough in RL too.

Im just somewhat surprised still, cause while I understand people can be loyal to a game and while I understand raiders have the perfect game in WoW. I miss understanding why some of us still logs in everyday and do basicly nothing other than the occasional bg and settle with that.

But you really are right, if not a raider, WoW isnt really the game to play anymore.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 470
    World of Starcraft would be amazing. To people commenting on why Blizzard would want to compete with WoW... uhhh, the best competition you can have is with yourself.

The players that WoW cannot get/keep can likely be obtained through a new MMORPG. Double win.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,011
    I dont think we will see a WOW2 for many years.  WOW is still bringing too much money and the investment in a new MMO with a flooded market is not worth it.  
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 919
    Maybe if the subs numbers continue to decline as fast as it looks. Currenly, almost 90% of the servers in west have low population. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,726
    edited January 2017
    This is a thread from 2 years ago which was never anything other than the completely absurd idea of a single guy.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,021
    tawess said:
    Also, a new IP is not Blizzard's strength.  

*looks at OverWatch* 

Suuuure. =P 

But then again... Hindsight. 
    I said that almost 2 years ago lol.  I was definitely wrong.  So I concede on that lol.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 597
    WoW 2 ? Not any time soon. They aren't going to cannibalize their existing user base just for something that's basically an upgrade. 

All we really know is that any new mmo they might make, won't be Warcraft or Diablo based, and probably not Starcraft, though that could be really cool. They've said it won't be any existing franchise.

We do know that Titan got canceled, and they re-used assets from it (art?) in Overwatch.

If they do another MMORPG, it's not likely to be fantasy, as that would step on WoW and Diablo too much, unless it was a truly unique and engaging setting & story.

One of the best ways to try and guess at what kind of thing Blizzard is planning is to look at their job offerings. They have gone after people with MMO experience last year, but that could be for Overwatch, though I would never call that an MMO, the skills would heavily overlap. Of course, Blizzard is really good at keeping secrets. Look how long Titan was in development before anyone found out the project name. 

At the moment, with the complete lack of info, any speculation on a World of Warcraft 2 is just spitting in the wind.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 619
    Wow 2, 2022 beta is my guess. As one stated here already, blizzard is not so good at making new ips, but they are god at rebooting  even over watch is a reboot of team fortress.  Anyway, i think it's most likely we will get wow2, but not in the near future, might not even be called wow, but i guess any mmorpg blizzard attempts to make will be crowned wow 2.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584

I don't know, I just have a vibe this could be in the works.  No leaks, no other basis than this could be in the works.

You know it'd be a hit.

Comments?

I don't think so. They've already done far better with other types of games to take a giant step backwards with a second MMORPG. I think the closest thing we'll see is a revival of the Warcraft strategy game IP.

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    There will be no World of Warcraft 2 while World of Warcraft is still the reigning king of themepark MMOs.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    WoW 2 is as true as Half Life 3.

Nuff said.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I think ''New world'' from Amazon will be the next step in the MMORPG genre and i suspect Blizzards new project is something along those lines. 

''Carve your own destiny in New World, a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game set in a living, cursed land. Choose how you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against in an evolving world that transforms with the seasons, weather, and time of day. Band together to reclaim monster-haunted wilds and build thriving civilizations, or strike out on your own, surviving in the face of supernatural terrors and murderous player bandits. Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition''.

I think a MMORPG built around Twitch could be huge, there's so much possibility, not just for gamers but for companies to also create new lines of revenue. 

I havent always agreed with Blizzard and its practices but one thing i have to give them credit for, is often being at the forefront of gaming. If they see the potential that Amazon see's then it makes complete sense to me that they would want to get in on it and not get caught behind like they did with the MOBA scene. 

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,642
    WoW 2 will be developed by Blizzard's Mars office....
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    I'd rather have Anarchy Online 2.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,599

Kind of sad really,just stick Warcraft ideas into all their games.So point being even if their next game is not Wow 2 you can bet your ass it will have Warcraft in it,likely Wow heroes to buy in the cash shop.

If you want to know what they are up to ,just look at the markets>>>>mobile,that is my guess,more cheap low budget games.Problem is that there are some really nice looking mobile games coming out,Blizzard would stick their cartoon crap in their and still make money with half the effort.

Brave Exvius is making 780k a day 26,500 downloads a day !!,you think Blizzard doesn't see that kind of stuff?You bet your ass they do,that is where Blizzard is going next,and i bet  they try tying esports into it as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited January 2017
    Blizzard have tasted the reality of what its like to run a game that became as succesful as WoW did.

So apart from all the good reasons we can also find in this thread, to why Blizz wont do it. There is the aspect, that running a game such as this will not end well.

And they refused to stop when WoW was at a lowkey high.

They missed the opportunity to end the adventure with everyone singing goodbye songs with praise.

Now people leave, disappointed, toxic and with a feeling that they as players were nothing more than a playtoy.

There is no way Blizz will set up a giant project again such as an MMORPG in any kind of near future.

The casualties on both sides are simply too much.

They will keep making games, because that is what they are, a company that produces games, but I expect they will stick to games, where they can have a better control of what goes on.

I can not even begin to phantom the gravity and amount of human restraint and suffering WoW has ended up bringing along with it.

So no, Blizzard wont do that to their employees or Companys name ever again.
    Their job now is to save their credibility.

And they will, but not in the shape of a succesful MMORPG.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Well, you could say with Draenor a Legions expansions WOW is already WOW2. The game even looks diferente and, for sure, not like a game released 12 years ago.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Just make World of StarCraft Blizzard and I will be happy
    That's what I want.  A MMO in the Starcraft universe.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,021

nbtscan said:
    Just make World of StarCraft Blizzard and I will be happy
    That's what I want.  A MMO in the Starcraft universe.
    Would be great to have a 3 faction system.  Would also love for it to have Tera like combat.  I'd be so happy to play as a Protoss.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I never understood the concepts of MMO sequels, just make a brand new mmo or if you want your franchise to keep running keep expanding it with expansions instead of making a new game all together. I understand the business side of things they want a boost for more money and maybe a remaster but definitely not a WoW 2.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,134
    Blizzard has made it really clear they have zero interest in making another mmo of any kind. The risk, effort, work, time required is just more then they want to put into any project anymore. Alot of the key people that made WoW of old and brought Blizzard into the mmo market has long since moved on to other activities. 

They have zero interest in doing another mmo so a WoW 2 or WoS is not anywhere remotely on the table. Even less so when a game like Hearth Stone bring in more money then WoW and costs a tiny fraction to run and develop for.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
     To much high risk I say when MMO are just not big money maker starting off. Just think just add all you want from a WoW2 and see how much will cost you. Then with all the box sales and the sub cost won't make that money back until 5 to 10 years, unless people get tricked to spend money on lockbox for things they don't need or want.
    I don't think it would be much risk, anything named Wow 2 would earn in far more then development costs no matter how crappy it woould be, at least if it have a Blizzard sticker as well.

I think it have more to do with the fact that Blizzard earn more for each invested dollar on a trading card game or a TF styled game. Wow 2 is something they would do if they can't figure out something better, it certainly is a possibility and I think it will happen eventually (Blizzard loves sequels, only EA Sports and Maxis loves it more) but not at the moment.

A Wow 2 will take 5+ years and at least cost twice as much as the original game (so $120M+), it is not something you just do. I also think that Wow really need to be effectively out of business (or at least below a million) to get the real nostalgia feeling that will sell more then a few extra million copies.

It would not surprise if Blizzard had a small team working on ideas for it since years back but I seriously doubt they put a large team on it yet. My guess would be that they start development for real about 5 years from now unless something unexpected happen with regular Wow (like an expansion either becomes immensely popular or unpopular).