Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'll say it again, Pantheon will be huge

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Burntvet said:

In the MMO business, cash is not king, it is God.

Yeah... remember this bit from a couple of years ago?

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/05/38081-pantheon-rise-fallen-lead-developer-accused-taking-35k-crowdfunding-campaign/

"Accused" is the word that pops out to me. What was the end verdict? Did they prove it and settle or take him to court? I honestly don't know but I assume you do.
    The deleted FB post (a copy of which you can just barely see on the left) expressing regret is the part that pops out at me.

The end verdict? People are still giving him money so that must mean something.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Iselin said:
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Burntvet said:

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/05/38081-pantheon-rise-fallen-lead-developer-accused-taking-35k-crowdfunding-campaign/

"Accused" is the word that pops out to me. What was the end verdict? Did they prove it and settle or take him to court? I honestly don't know but I assume you do.
    The deleted FB post (a copy of which you can just barely see on the left) expressing regret is the part that pops out at me.

So it's old information based on an action viable in court but was never taken there or resolved... as though it was indeed just an accusation? Oh but it's so sensational! ;) Why would you even bring it up then? Actually don't tell me, I already know :p
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Burntvet said:

So it's old information based on an action viable in court but was never taken there or resolved... as though it was indeed just an accusation? Oh but it's so sensational! ;) Why would you even bring it up then? Actually don't tell me, I already know :p
    So what exactly was this court action you're fantasizing about? That he took a 3 month pay advance? Lol.

But you ARE missing the part that takes math to figure out. If a 3 month pay advance is $45k what does that make his annual salary? let's see... I make it about $180K. Yup seems about right.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    Burntvet said:

So what exactly was this court action you're fantasizing about? That he took a 3 month pay advance? Lol.

But you ARE missing the part that takes math to figure out. If a 3 month pay advance is $45k what does that make his annual salary? let's see... I make it about $180K. Yup seems about right.

Yes please be condescending while at the same time using that mechanism to pose fantasy. It's yummy. The reason why I asked if any legal action was taken was because if there was indeed anything going on they would take him to court. If they didn't most likely they didn't have any proof. 180k huh? That would be more than enough for a decent attorney to take the case IF there was enough proof... which obviously there was not.

Edit: I misread the quote above as the 180k figure was what was alleged. That's on me. 45k would still be enough I would imagine.

Back on the topic of the thread I can see why some that are staunch supporters of other, more modern MMOs would not want Pantheon to appeal to the masses or even take a portion of mainstream players. Most modern MMO releases garner a large number to begin with and then shed them once the title is not "new" (usually about a month) and head back to their "home base."

Pantheon should operate a bit differently there. Focused more on the long term journey and community it could snag the "hoppers" for longer than usual. This may stick in the craw of those that either do not like the type of MMO Pantheon is or do not want it effecting their playerbase. One can hope ;)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited January 2017
    Burntvet said:
    Zer0K said:

/snip
    I am not arguing against the success of Pantheon but merely what the OP is expecting. His expectations are wildly unrealistic and his ideas on how people will react grossly exaggerated. I think Pantheon can and will do well but nothing very grand for sure and I am confident that my predictions are not wrong.
    Vanguard: Saga of Heros was a painful experience for me.  It lost most of its potential player-base between release and when SOE took over.  Many people dropped the game, simply because of all the CTDs they were getting, just couldn't play the game.
    Some things promised to be in at release never made it in til later.

/snip
    Most of that is what I can not forget about McQuaid's last game.

He could not even produce Vanguard to completion with $30+ mil and dozens of full time, paid, employees. It was released, months later after SOE bought it, and barely worked for most, did not work at all for some.

And yet, with Pantheon, some magical masterpiece is supposed to come into being, if you believe people like the OP, with a semi-amateur team and a very small sliver of the money.

All the ideas and plans and designs and hopes, dreams and everything else will not amount to jack if there is not the cash to pay for the effort to force it into existence, in anything other than Mortal Online form.

Have hope about this title if you want, but having reasonable expectations will serve a lot better.

Dead horse is a dead horse, seriously it gets old really quick any arm chair dev seems to think they know exactly what happened and talk as if they could of done better. 

Some did have problems with the game and some look beyond the bugs and played the game from start to finish. 

This thread is nothing to do with what you are talking about so stick to the topic. You can have your opinion but if thats the case move on and wait and see what happens instead of flogging a dead horse. 

Fact is many didn't think the game would get this far and now it's looking more and more like the game is coming they are not happy or they want the game changed to one of the other dozen of same boring mmo's. 

So glad it isn't going to be one of those. 

The Op haven't help anything with a thread like this because it brings the bitter and haters out in droves, this is probably the longest Pantheon thread so far. 

We don't want Pantheon to be huge, we want it to cater to the niche and let the others who like cash shops and instant rewards stick to the dozen of mmo's out there already. 

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2017

We don't want Pantheon to be huge,

I assume "We" in this case does not include the topic creator, right?
    Tiamat64 said:

The Op should not of even made a thread proclaiming that Pantheon is going to be huge, it is dumb and brings negative vibes to the game. 

Ask any backer or follower if they would want this game to be huge or niche most would say niche. 

Burntvet said:
    Zer0K said:

/snip
    I am not arguing against the success of Pantheon but merely what the OP is expecting. His expectations are wildly unrealistic and his ideas on how people will react grossly exaggerated. I think Pantheon can and will do well but nothing very grand for sure and I am confident that my predictions are not wrong.
    Vanguard: Saga of Heros was a painful experience for me.  It lost most of its potential player-base between release and when SOE took over.  Many people dropped the game, simply because of all the CTDs they were getting, just couldn't play the game.

/snip

He could not even produce Vanguard to completion with $30+ mil and dozens of full time, paid, employees. It was released, months later after SOE bought it, and barely worked for most, did not work at all for some.

And yet, with Pantheon, some magical masterpiece is supposed to come into being, if you believe people like the OP, with a semi-amateur team and a very small sliver of the money.

All the ideas and plans and designs and hopes, dreams and everything else will not amount to jack if there is not the cash to pay for the effort to force it into existence, in anything other than Mortal Online form.

Have hope about this title if you want, but having reasonable expectations will serve a lot better.

/snip

We don't want Pantheon to be huge, we want it to cater to the niche and let the others who like cash shops and instant rewards stick to the dozen of mmo's out there already. 

Agree with the /snip portion but wanted to point out the above references two possible things. Pantheon could be huge while also not catering to those that like cash shops and instant rewards. There is a large portion of MMO players that haven't played this type of game and now with a modern version coming out, may like it. The reality is that with more revenue can come more development and to a greater degree.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    YUUUUGE

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• moki22moki22 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Everything about pantheon looks like it has learned from the mistakes of its predecessors. Its going to be massive and I cant wait! 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Aelious said:

Back on the topic of the thread I can see why some that are staunch supporters of other, more modern MMOs would not want Pantheon to appeal to the masses or even take a portion of mainstream players. Most modern MMO releases garner a large number to begin with and then shed them once the title is not "new" (usually about a month) and head back to their "home base."

Pantheon should operate a bit differently there. Focused more on the long term journey and community it could snag the "hoppers" for longer than usual. This may stick in the craw of those that either do not like the type of MMO Pantheon is or do not want it effecting their playerbase. One can hope ;)

This guy is good.  He is much more grounded in his clams then the OP (me).

Pantheon will focus on long term players and this is the original base design of an mmo.

If the game is both fun and made right, people will not jump around from game to game nearly as bad as the crap we were handed lately !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2017
    Burntvet said:
    Zer0K said:

/snip

/snip

Dead horse is a dead horse, seriously it gets old really quick any arm chair dev seems to think they know exactly what happened and talk as if they could of done better. 

Some did have problems with the game and some look beyond the bugs and played the game from start to finish. 

This thread is nothing to do with what you are talking about so stick to the topic. You can have your opinion but if thats the case move on and wait and see what happens instead of flogging a dead horse. 

Fact is many didn't think the game would get this far and now it's looking more and more like the game is coming they are not happy or they want the game changed to one of the other dozen of same boring mmo's. 

The Op haven't help anything with a thread like this because it brings the bitter and haters out in droves, this is probably the longest Pantheon thread so far. 

It's not beating a dead horse to state this is an under funded indie title promising to deliver miracles, at least according to some supporters.

People are right to remain skeptical and have doubts on this game's success. (or any other indie MMORPG)

Doesn't make them bitter or haters if they choose to maintain a healthy does of scepticism.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Caldicot said:
    YUUUUGE
    We have a local car dealership owner who does his own conmercials and he's always yelling in his deep, gravely bronx accent how his latest sales event is gonna be "YUUUUGE"

I think of him every time I read this thread title. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited January 2017
    It's funny how fast and often people are to bring up Vanguard, while overlooking the fact that many of the problems that Vanguard suffered from are currently missing from Pantheon. I guess it's easier to just pretend that people don't learn from their mistakes and it's impossible for it to result in a quality game, despite what we've seen with our own eyes during streams.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Tiamat64 said:

The Op should not of even made a thread proclaiming that Pantheon is going to be huge, it is dumb and brings negative vibes to the game. 

Ask any backer or follower if they would want this game to be huge or niche most would say niche. 

Lol, then they are pretty stupid. What fanbase want their game to have small playerbase? Morons. 
    Kyleran said:
    Burntvet said:
    Zer0K said:

/snip

/snip

It's not beating a dead horse to state this is an under funded indie title promising to deliver miracles, at least according to some supporters.

People are right to remain skeptical and have doubts on this game's success. (or any other indie MMORPG)

Doesn't make them bitter or haters if they choose to maintain a healthy does of scepticism.

Having a healthy dose of scepticism and beating the same dead horse in every thread is to different things. 

Kyleran said:
    Zer0K said:

/snip

/snip

Having a healthy dose of scepticism and beating the same dead horse in every thread is to different things. 
    If someone starts a new thread discussing why any indie will suceed expect the funding challenge issue to be brought up every time.

It has wrecked multiple titles over the years as they were rushed out too early, even when teams had large sums to work with.

Brad lead such a "failed" effort in the past and the blame for financial and technical mismanagement was laid firmly on him.

Whether proven or not is irrelevant, and you are correct, he has a chance to redeem himself here.

I gave MJ the benefit of the doubt for his past mis-steps,and funded CU. But he openly admitted to his errors and took full responsibility for WARs failure.  

Not sure if Brad ever did but clearly he has supporters and Pantheon is rolling on.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Dullahan said:
    It's funny how fast and often people are to bring up Vanguard, while overlooking the fact that many of the problems that Vanguard suffered from are currently missing from Pantheon. ...
    Yeah, half the content Vanguard had is also missing from Pantheon ! :lol:
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Xodic said:
    Niche doesn't mean small...
    And yes, I would rather it be focused on a certain type of player rather than trying to shoehorn every possible player into the same game. 
    A "certain" type of player sounds rather showhorned to me. I'd argue it's probably harder to gain a good solid longterm base if you're just attractive to a certain type of player. This is the central issue with many MMOs today, they're hyper-focused on story or achievement based game-play, there's no care given to other aspects of the game. The same issue permeates the indie scene in their PVP focused titles, that just devolve into wolves hunting wolves. Older MMO's weren't so solitary in their focus, there was more often than not, a more diverse playing field. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Dullahan said:
    It's funny how fast and often people are to bring up Vanguard, while overlooking the fact that many of the problems that Vanguard suffered from are currently missing from Pantheon. ...
    Yeah, half the content Vanguard had is also missing from Pantheon ! :lol:
    Fair enough, but at least what we see is already very playable. All the content in the world won't make a game fun if it isn't designed well and running smoothly. At least they've demonstrated that much to me, and that's an important distinction.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Xodic said:
    League of Legends is niche. Hell, the entire MOBA genre is niche, because they only focus on one core philosophy and that philosophy isn't "a game that has everything, for everyone" . Instead of everyone walking around wearing elastic waistband stretchy pants, many buy ones that fit.

Saying League of Legends is niche because it focuses on one core philosophy (competitive arena battles) is like saying Super Mario Bros. is niche because it focuses on one core philosophy (platform gaming).  While technically true, it completely misses the actual context of what most people mean by "niche".  Niche isn't about appealing to a wide spread.  It's about appealing to a small alcove (IE, a 'niche') in the population.  Something is "main stream", regardless of whether or not it focuses on a core, if it's appealing to a large audience.

In the case of League of Legends and Mario Bro games and Zelda games and Overwatch and whatever else, they appeal to the larger audience by NOT asking them to do things like grind their lives away, spend 3 hours in a dungeon, spend a ton of time finding the right set of other players to be able to do content, or having to do an arduous journey back to their corpse every time they die.  One could say that by adding these various "difficulties" to the game, one is in fact pushing most of the "Mainstream" away to appeal to the smaller subset of people that actually like that sort of thing.  Hence why Pantheon is "niche" and why League of Legends, which tries to remove as many barriers as possible to actually playing its game, is mainstream.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    baphamet said:

I was an early patron of the game, but some recent reveals have turned me off.  I had hoped that it would be more like Vanguard than EQ, but that doesn't appear to be happening and I refuse to go back to the days of sitting on my butt to meditate and being forced to always camp thanks to the need to meditate.  I'm not addicted to MMO's to the extent that I will play them despite the downsides and or bugs.  There are aspects of game play that I will not overlook and will happily move on to the next game or stop playing them altogether until something else comes along.

I no longer care if the game succeeds or fails, I'm already looking at Dark and Light and if it fails to please, then I'm ready for the long wait for something else.

i asked you once before.....why not play a class that doesn't require medding?

I would have thought my banner would have answered that.  I am an avid Druid fan in any game that offers it and if not, the closest thing, none of which means playing a melee class.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited January 2017
    Dullahan said:

I was an early patron of the game, but some recent reveals have turned me off.  I had hoped that it would be more like Vanguard than EQ, but that doesn't appear to be happening and I refuse to go back to the days of sitting on my butt to meditate and being forced to always camp thanks to the need to meditate.  I'm not addicted to MMO's to the extent that I will play them despite the downsides and or bugs.  There are aspects of game play that I will not overlook and will happily move on to the next game or stop playing them altogether until something else comes along.

I no longer care if the game succeeds or fails, I'm already looking at Dark and Light and if it fails to please, then I'm ready for the long wait for something else.

Having to stop and rest will not prevent a group from crawling. It will only prevent a group from crawling non-stop. Without rest taking time, resource management, strategy, and the danger of exploration take a huge hit.
    baphamet said:

i asked you once before.....why not play a class that doesn't require medding?
    Pretty sure every class will have some sort of resource expenditure. Allowing melees to go nonstop while casters had to meditate was the main source of imbalance in EQ, and why raids constantly wanted more monks and rogues rather than wizards.

If it were up to me, I'd make even auto attack drain energy.

I don't see how tying resource management to mobility adds tactics or fun to the game.  Managing mana during combat for that one heal that could turn the battle is important, but so is being able to still do something when in situations when the mana is gone.  Being able to meditate on the move doesn't mean you gain mana back any faster, but it does give you more options on how you play the content rather than the old fashioned and frankly boring "camping".  Dungeon crawling was not viable in EQ before the advent of horses for outdoors and the coveted Kodiaks Endless Intellect gained by the Luclin expansion, allowing for some limited but still much less efficient mana recovery while standing rather than sitting.  Granted, once raiders combined all of their mana regen gear along with mana regen buffs, the game played so much better.  For me, that was too little, too late and as a gamer who despises raiding, unachievable and a huge incentive to quit the game despite loving my druid toon.  I much preferred his design direction for Vanguard and really miss the game despite it's many technical flaws.

Brad seems set on this though, so it's a moot point.  I'm moving on and only upset that I wasted money on it. 

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Everyone's making guesses on the success of this game based on what they know of the game now. Yet the game is not even close to complete. It is not even in Alpha, meaning that there are features and mechanics that have yet to be implemented.

And how can people say that the game is "classic" when there are new features planned that have never even been seen before? This formula for Pantheon has never been done before. It is not a copy of Everquest. It takes valuable lessons from a swathe of historic games, combining the best of those games while adding new ideas. It will be a unique game.

Now if the developers fail to make the game they say they are going to make then it might fail. Another possibility is that the concoction VR is brewing turns out to be simply 'not fun', or buggy, or unfinished or all sorts of things. Or it could turn out to be the next big 'thing' like World of Warcraft (which wasn't revolutionary or all that different than Everquest when it first launched).

So nobody knows what's going to happen. Stating that the game will have 'X limitation' or 'Y potential' is just horseshit at this point.

Wait until the game is in Beta before even making guesses on subscriber numbers, and even then don't count on your 'guess' being anywhere near accurate.