Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCUO - Still one of the best in the lot.

124»

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    For people with English literacy skills that actually states there's tons of easily accessible videos, more than one could post on this forum.

"There's nothing about this reality stopping you from enjoying the system for what it is, so stop being so overzealous with trying to pitch it as the pinnacle of creation."
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Limnic said:
    For people with English literacy skills that actually states there's tons of easily accessible videos, more than one could post on this forum.

"There's nothing about this reality stopping you from enjoying the system for what it is, so stop being so overzealous with trying to pitch it as the pinnacle of creation."
    I think everyone can clearly see that you're unwilling to answer a simple yes or no question much less provide an EXACT example of what you mean.  If I went to the trouble, you can easily do so too.  But you can't, so you won't.  It's that simple.  

I described several games functions that make similarities, I gave names of many people can look up themselves, the fact that t's so simple to access a much broader spectrum of evidence of my point means posting it directly is not necessary since it's all openly available.

You cherry-picking videos that A) don't prove your point and B) fail to relate to the argument on the other hand fails entirely to help.
    Limnic said:
    I described several games functions that make similarities, I gave names of many people can look up themselves, the fact that t's so simple to access a much broader spectrum of evidence of my point means posting it directly is not necessary since it's all openly available.

You cherry-picking videos that A) don't prove your point and B) fail to relate to the argument on the other hand fails entirely to help.
    They very much proved my point, all it takes is the mental acuity to understand it.  This is why I requested a video, so you have a 1 to 1 understanding of the differences.  You refuse to post one simply because you don't want all the information in one place, easily accessible in the event people want to follow through on your claims that "its similar".  

I'm confident in my stance,  you haven't posted a single shred of evidence aside from your hyperbole and vapid ridiculousness spawning from pride rather than reality.  it's fine,  I knew you were just trolling the moment you said "all the blocks used were in the first half of the video".  I knew then that you don't know nor care about the truth. 

"Repetition of the same flawed logic does not absolve the flaws.

Like your harping on the combat counters. Just because one game is counter-heavy while another focuses more on the combo chains and breaks doesn't change that both those games operate on a very similar suite of core mechanics that constitutes an acrade-ish brawler type experience.

Hence the outlandish demands you now ask for as if they are remotely sensible. The game doesn't need to be a carbon copy of implementation to have the same core combat mechanics and features. This is the same as you claiming a granny smith isn't an apple any more because it's greener and more tart than other apples you've tried. It's utter nonsense, you've latched on to the semantics of a design to try and make a completely overblown claim.

As a result you keep sitting here producing paragraphs of repeated lies in hopes people will give up or something, and it's very annoying to see people who stoop to such levels as that to try and drown out logic with vapid ramble. With how blatant an effort you've put into trolling this thread, it's utterly laughable you'd even attempt accusing anyone else of such."
    Limnic said:
    "Repetition of the same flawed logic does not absolve the flaws.

Like your harping on the combat counters. Just because one game is counter-heavy while another focuses more on the combo chains and breaks doesn't change that both those games operate on a very similar suite of core mechanics that constitutes an acrade-ish brawler type experience.

Hence the outlandish demands you now ask for as if they are remotely sensible. The game doesn't need to be a carbon copy of implementation to have the same core combat mechanics and features. This is the same as you claiming a granny smith isn't an apple any more because it's greener and more tart than other apples you've tried. It's utter nonsense, you've latched on to the semantics of a design to try and make a completely overblown claim.

As a result you keep sitting here producing paragraphs of repeated lies in hopes people will give up or something, and it's very annoying to see people who stoop to such levels as that to try and drown out logic with vapid ramble. With how blatant an effort you've put into trolling this thread, it's utterly laughable you'd even attempt accusing anyone else of such."
    lets try a different course of action here.

State your argument succinctly.  

Already did. Multiple times.
    Limnic said:
    Already did. Multiple times.
    State your argument succinctly, right here, not in a paragraph. Right here.

Again, already did in this thread, multiple times.
    Limnic said:
    Again, already did in this thread, multiple times.
    I rest my case.  Have fun trolling.. 

Trolling would be all you've done, When people can click one page back past your useless questions they would see that I put very succinct statements in several posts addressing the core problem here.

You pretending logic no longer exists and those little blue buttons on the page don't work is an insult.
    It kinda passed me because it seemed kinda rhetorical. If you need to get a frame of reference for stat changes, you can get a partner in game to test things in duels, spend some time whacking mobs and seeing what stat changes affects your efficiency most, or just blind-run some stuff and see how re-gearing and stat tweaks helps the next run.
    edited January 2017
    If ya give it a couple days I'm betting you can check a wiki or two for DCUO and there will be plenty of info for something more informative and formalized.

EDIT: May be a little bit actually before there's good guidelines to follow, test discussion still has a lot of mixed feedback. >_>
    Post edited by Limnic on
    edited January 2017
    I'm mostly just stuck wondering how finalized some of the changes are because I'll have to redo my pistol sorc.

Generally, I think it's a necessary move to rebuild it regardless. For a system with gear and stats they never ended up being that big of a concern to me. As long as the rating was in the right range then it didn't really matter so much the details of the numbers, which made it kind of superfluous even though there was technical value to the individual stats. With mods gaining more value too it's something to fiddle more with and figure out what to use.

I'm not a great source for these kinda details though because I'm not usually concerned with the meta too much.

EDIT: Misinterpreted part of the question. :p
    Post edited by Limnic on
    Gorwe said:

What do you think of it(and also you Masked)?
    I think it'll be a welcome change for most players, though probably not the most ardent supporters of the game, but stats revamp seems fine.  If you're looking for "what to shoot for" it depends on what you're trying to do.  Here's a good example below of one of the class changes as well as how stats are incorporated into it.

It can be tough because a lot of people are used to playing the game a certain way, I think stats in general won't be that big of a deal once the dust settles, and in time I don't doubt there will be build guides directly related to being focused on what you want to do.  I also don't doubt there will be several iterations of balance in the works.  

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited January 2017
    DabOnThem said:
    DCUO does not have the best combat system out there in an MMO, PSO2 is vastly superior, DC feels clunky, choppy and unresponsive at times.
    I haven't played PSO2, but I will say that PSU was one of my favorite games and is much more similar to DCUO than most other games. 

You should definitely cheack it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQjRRa1Ex4Y

Better creator

Far superior combat

I feel as if DCUO gets the great combat tag, because it is the only superhero MMORPG to take the action combat route.

There are many games far superior to DCUO in the combat department, as far as superhero MMORPGs go? Not so much, DCUO is king of combat.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is just too big a topic to discuss better systems,i just tried and it takes 2-3 paragraphs just to fully explain one topic such as grouping.

All i can say is that if you understand and have a large background in gaming,nothing is as simple as black n White.Example saying you can group faster means absolutely NOTHING.

There is give and take,if your game has little depth,no reason to have specific members then it is a more shallow game,then yes grouping would be easier and faster.This is one simple point i am making but it goes way beyond that if i cared to fully explain it ...but i don't like i said takes too long.

I think the biggest problem with gaming and people's perceptions are they really don't pay attention to little detail.All  i see players doing in these games is running around chasing loot 24/7.They check out YouTube see how to beat a boss and do that 24/7 rinse and repeat until they get their loot.The rest of their game is usually linear questing,the dullest most non immersive ridiculous idea to ever set foot in a mmorpg.
    So you can become a more experienced Warrior by running errands ...umm/not ..stupid idea ..period.

So pick your poison,if all you care about is running loot 24/7 rather than an immersive experience,then really who cares what systems  are best?If you want a complete game then you dissect it very carefully and determine if it can offer that immersion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    DCUO is hilarious to play because of how bad the combat/animations are. 
  • Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Awakened said:

I'm talking like top 5, easy. I quite playing about a year and a half ago and have tried all the newer games since then. Marvel's competition (Marvel Heroes) did steal my time for a while, but as an ARPG it suffers from being really fun without enough immersion for long term play.

I've been playing online games since Ultima Online in 97' and have tried at least 50 titles in that span. Since leaving DCUO I have tried Elder Scrolls Online (Just... stay... away...), Final Fantasy, Star Trek, Neverwinter (another "fun" game that just suffers from lack of immersion), Rift (probably my top vote for those seeking a conventional Fantasy based MMORPG right now), Age of Connan, GW 2 (same problem as MH and Neverwinter), The Secret World, a few other B-titles made by indie guys, Darkfall (Well, gave it a second chance, it's not getting a third), Archeage (This game was made by the same people that made Rift? wtf?), age of Wushu, some MOBAs like Smite and Infinity Crises (burned out on LoL a while ago), and some other games like World of Tanks and such.

DCUO is still one of the best games out there.

The issues I see over and over again with most other games are as follows:

Horrible monetization system - DCUO's hybrid model is damn near perfect; how every game should model itself. The poor and rich can both get plenty of game for their money and nether ever has a huge advantage over the other from RL funds. You basically pay for variety and "cool" factor. The optional subscription system (what I used) makes micro-transactions a rare act and usually something just for the "cool" factor I mentioned earlier - entirely optional.

Shameless progression - DCUO's "quests" are some of the best in the business, go play Elder Scrolls and drudge through 50 hours of fetching lost pets and turning on light posts if you don't believe me.

Stale combat - DCUO's combat system, while perhaps more "natural" with a controller, is more fun and fluid than almost any other MMORPG on the market right now. I also use a gaming keypad and suped up mouse, so I have no issue with it.

Dumb PvP - I got into MMORPGs for the PvP, that's what got me hooked. I am sad to say that PvP in MMORPGs is near dead; we'll say it's on life support. This is why MOBA's are doing so great - all the PvPers are moving to them. DCUO's open world PvP is about dead as well, but the instanced PvP is far more fun than most of the competitions' right now. The ability to play as iconic heroes and villains doesn't hurt its cause.

End Game - DCUO has a great end game. The game doesn't really even start until you max your character's level. The leveling process itself never feels like a grind. I think I was up to 8 or so characters and enjoyed the leveling process on all of them. It helps that you can change your origin to mix up the experience.

Punchy - In today's games, regardless of genre, the gameplay has to have impact. With physics making its way into games more and visual effects always getting better, people expect some pop in their punch. DCUO does this as well as anyone else currently, and better than many of the brand new games.

Anti-Social - Wow guys, it is 2015 with social media linked into almost everything we do with our daily lives. We have more ways to communication than Orson Welles ever dreamed of. Yet, for some reason, MMORPGs are regressing and becoming less and less social.  DCUO's grouping system is the best I've seen for quickly finding other players to get together with. In literally every other game I've played it is a chore just to find people to group and play with. And it's not just grouping with people, DCUO is a social game. When I played I spent a great deal of time just sitting around chatting with people. Most games I've played are so littered with Chinese gold sellers that most people don't even bother trying to chit-cat, or we're in a dungeon or something and everyone just plows through it as fast as they can without speaking one word.

The aesthetics are awesome - Wtf is up with the Fantasy genre right now? Everything has to be dark and brooding. Why? Fantasy is about light, birth, and revival as much as it is darkness, death, and decay. I feel like a kid saying this, but I like the shiny and bright things in DCUO.

After a year and half break of trying to find something else, I think I'm coming back. There just isn't much else out there worth my time (or money, I've spent about $400 on other games since then, and don't feel like I got my money's worth. Marvel Heroes has a semi-reasonable monetization structure, I don't mind subscriptions, but the ones I tried were not sub worthy). It's also worth noting that while SOE may have some mistakes on their resume, DCUO is not one of them. It is a well polished game in almost every aspect

I know this sounds like a love letter. You probably think I'm a DC fanboy. I actually don't care for DC (I'm a Marvel guy), but coming from someone who deliberately tried to find something better over the last 18 months, take it from me, this is one of the best games out there for gameplay, community, replay value, company support (regular updates and communications) character and story progression, and value.

Ignore my previous replies in this thread the op is right, after recently giving this another try on pc I am now subbed after playing eso, gw2 and others. They just do not feel complete enough to be an mmorpg like dc universe is, it is no eq2 or wow but the combat is miles ahead, it has the right mix of things in my opinion, my only complaint is the lack of some endgame leveling system beyond some stats grind, still the game remains to be quite fun.
    maskedweasel
  • dmcmahonjrdmcmahonjr Member UncommonPosts: 15

Well, I'm an old fan of DC though I no longer read their comic books and I keep coming back to play this game over and over again, especially since the death of City of Heroes.  I've never yet maxed out a character.  I think my highest is around 120.  I actually enjoy running through all the missions to get to level 30.  One of these days I am going to actually get high enough level to play the episodes that are in the game, especially the ones that go back to the 1940s and meeting the JSA.  That's a big goal for me.

And I have 43 characters.  I play on the computer, never tried it on a game system.

This is a fun game for soloing as well as in groups.  I tend to solo a lot since most of my gaming buddies are all busy playing Pathfinder Online.  ;-)

And all the hidden things you can find in the game continues to surprise me and bring a smile to my face.  Like the first time I found the spot where the Wayne's were murdered in Gotham.

To me, a lot of the fun is in those early missions and trying out the different powers and weapons and costumes.  I enjoy creating many different golden and silver age characters from all sorts of past and present comic book publishers.  I've done Dynamo, Mr. Scarlet, Lightning Lad [early version with the short cape], Nightveil, The Marvel Family, Fearless Flint, Mon-El, Saturn Girl, The Flame, the original Vigilante, Johnny Quick, Hourman, Wildfire [Quality's], The Lone Ranger, Doctor Solar, Blue Beetle [40s & 60s versions], Booster Gold and lots of others.  Any wonder why my league is called the Silver Age Heroes?  lol

One of the things I like about the game is that I don't have to be a button-mashing guru in order to move and fight.  Combos are just a few buttons.  None of this left, left, right, left, up, up, up, down, right, left stuff for me, thanks!

And now that they revamped powers and streamlined them somewhat, it is a totally different feel to the game.  That feel, for me, isn't better or worse, just different.  I have to learn new ways to play the characters I played before.  This makes me a bit more interested in the game at this time.

And I know that for every person that mostly agrees with what I wrote above, another will mostly disagree.  That's why we are called "fans".

maskedweasel
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    The worst developers in the lot, at least top 5, that is for damn sure. That game has so many flaws it is not even funny. I would say avoid DCUO, play CO or wait for SoH if you are a superhero fan.