Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - Most Wanted MMO of 2017 a Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I just can't seem to get excited for any of them right now. There are just too many good games already out that I already don't have the time to play as often as I would like.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    edited January 2017
    Tough call between Pantheon and Camelot Unchained for me, but I voted for the latter because I expect both to only delve into beta this year, and I feel more strongly about waiting for the former to properly release. CU seems like something that could be beta tested without spoiling much.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67

Torval said:

I'm more interested in playing my old mmos in 2017. I'm looking forward to their patches and updates more than I am in any new game.

The closest is Project Gorgon which I don't think will be done in 2017, but it's not on the list. There are a lot of interesting titles on the list though but nothing I'm so stoked and sure about that I'll vote.

Project Gorgon...I dunno...It just seemed too old school to have much success in 2017....At best a niche game isnt it?

All of these are extremely niche.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CU because unlike most of the others Mark Jacobs does give back pledge $ to those who change their mind for any reason. No excuses -- just steady open development.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ZazuriZazuri Member CommonPosts: 1
    I miss Survive The Nights q.q but i vote Revelation Online ^-^
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    My vote for Pantheon was a simple one, and without treading the unsettled waters of overhype and hyperbole my reasoning for it is this - Pantheon is going to fill a void for me.

Its a game focused on community, where content is presented in a non-linear fashion and progression isn't completed in the form of a check-list and unlockable achievements. This is something that is rare to find now adays, so it comes at no surprise to me or anyone else following MMORPG's right now that it is also very sought after and valued.

I'm also excited for games like Crowfall and Camelot but my choice of "Most Excited" goes to Pantheon this year.
  • HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76

Alverant said:

City of Heroes

I think Valiance Online might surprise us next year.
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    How come the top 3 games on the "Hype Meter" don't even crack 9% total sum on this poll?

@MMORPG.COM your Hype Meter continues to be broken...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I voted Pantheon but will play CU both largely because they will not have cash shops.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited January 2017
    Intriguing that the PvP centric ones have so many votes!

If Lost Ark and Peria Chronicles were announced for 2017, I'd probably go with them. Though Crowfall's concepts are too unique to pass up. Plus, I love the idea of being a spiritual crow inhabiting bodies of dead heroes, or digging up graves and making bodies with necromancy.

It even explains the lore of how we come back once we die without it being "LOL MAGIC" or "FANTASY REALM" or just "GAME MECHANIC". The body dies, and crows just find or construct another. Pretty darn gruesome for an immortal entity condemned to fight in a war for all eternity and salvage resources from dying worlds and bringing the worthy back to your Eternal Kingdom.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    How come the top 3 games on the "Hype Meter" don't even crack 9% total sum on this poll?

Makes you wonder, honestly, whether MMORPG.com is fixing it to be that way. Pantheon is always last  or completely dismissed when it comes to anything that this website covers or writes articles.

This poll doesn´t look like a fluke to me, despite the accusations of whiners that want Pantheon to fail.
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Albion Online 100% is the sleeping giant of this list. They have sold over 200,000 founders packs, and I expect this game will beat all expectations upon release.
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    You can expect Shroud of the Avatar to do well... because the Devs post on their own forums encouraging people to push the polls every time a new one comes out. The thread for THIS poll is here;

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/players-choice-awards-mmorpg-com.76025/

There is one way this poll will be useful though! The community tends to be spectacularly toxic when ever anyone mentions that Shrouds player numbers are awful, as the Steam peak is already below 200... and they insist no one can know what the real playerbase is. Well, the LAST poll they pushed, over at

http://www.mmogames.com/topmmos/best-crowdfunded-online-game-2016/

... got 1,580 votes. Although on the thread for that one, people did admit they were proxy posting to raise even those numbers, admittedly. But let's see if this deep, decent, honest community can beat 1,580 votes this time!

But of course, they'll have a million players when they've pushed enough polls and done enough advertising to make you THINK it's a great game. Absolutely. I'll regret this cynicism in 10 years, absolutely I will!

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    You can expect Shroud of the Avatar to do well... because the Devs post on their own forums encouraging people to push the polls every time a new one comes out. The thread for THIS poll is here;

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/players-choice-awards-mmorpg-com.76025/

A dev didnt put up that post, that is a community member. There is nothing from their handle or post history to signify they are part of the development team.

Also the community manager/Developer DEFENDED Pantheon by saying this:

BEREK
    "Yes, let's please be considerate of the hardwork that goes into ALL of these projects. As much as we would like you to cheer on SotA, it doesn't have to come at the expense of the others."

I am in no way a SoTA fan, but this is completely false and can easily drum up emotions between two groups of fans that isnt necessary and is based on false pretenses. 
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202

There is one way this poll will be useful though! The community tends to be spectacularly toxic when ever anyone mentions that Shrouds player numbers are awful, as the Steam peak is already below 200... and they insist no one can know what the real playerbase is. Well, the LAST poll they pushed, over at

http://www.mmogames.com/topmmos/best-crowdfunded-online-game-2016/

... got 1,580 votes. Although on the thread for that one, people did admit they were proxy posting to raise even those numbers, admittedly. But let's see if this deep, decent, honest community can beat 1,580 votes this time!

But of course, they'll have a million players when they've pushed enough polls and done enough advertising to make you THINK it's a great game. Absolutely. I'll regret this cynicism in 10 years, absolutely I will!

Shroud community is the most hateful Ive seen and there devs engage in petty bickering with folks that give them bad reviews. You can be sure they'll be making up accts here like crazy to try and boost the poll in their favor to lure more people into they're failing game to try and squeeze $40 out of them. That's how they do on polls because they haven't had anyone buying it since August 2016. Don't fall for it peeps save your money and spend it on anything else.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I honestly don't think enough people cast their hype. When there are calls from communities to cast votes in polls like this, it's a different story. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Accounts here when first created should have some sort of hold on them that they can't participate in these polls for two weeks or something to keep from communities from mass creating accts to upvote and sucker people into tilting the votes in their favors. On the Sota forums Berek admits this sites polls are the most important to cast votes in.

BillMurphy said:

I honestly don't think enough people cast their hype. When there are calls from communities to cast votes in polls like this, it's a different story. 

• rickyblessrickybless Member CommonPosts: 1
    BLESS ONLINE !!
  • EdgeXEdgeX Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited January 2017
    I'm assuming this was posted somewhere on SotA's forums or something? There is no way the average MMORPG.com user likes the game that much.

edit: Shocker that all the comments naming SotA except 1, have had no prior posts.

• Hokanu99Hokanu99 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Looking forward to Pantheon and rolling my main as an Enchanter and actually having reason to CC!
  • AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294

A dev didnt put up that post, that is a community member. There is nothing from their handle or post history to signify they are part of the development team.

Also the community manager/Developer DEFENDED Pantheon by saying this:

BEREK
    "Yes, let's please be considerate of the hardwork that goes into ALL of these projects. As much as we would like you to cheer on SotA, it doesn't have to come at the expense of the others."

I am in no way a SoTA fan, but this is completely false and can easily drum up emotions between two groups of fans that isnt necessary and is based on false pretenses. 
    Absolutely.  These polls are fun, but the reality is that there is plenty of room for all of these games -- there is an MMO renaissance going on and we're all in this together.  I look at all of these games and the devs pouring their hearts and souls into them and see friends and allies, not competitors.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• jinnohjinnoh Member CommonPosts: 1
    MU Legend DEFINITELY
  • LutorinLutorin Member UncommonPosts: 10
    It would be Pantheon for me even if I very much doubt that it will go beyond alpha in 2017 .

There has not been a single MMO in these last 8 years which would  :

- make grouping a quasi necessity to achieve something worthwile
    - have a true risk/reward philosophy . The highest rewards simply must have deadly risks .
    - subscription based . This chases the F2P tourist crowd away
    - have no in game shop and no implied pay to win
    - be story and lore driven instead of being quest hub driven
    - have meaningful crafting gameplay (this one is more of a hope as there is not much information about crafting yet)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited January 2017
    I recently decided I shall engage in PvP as most of the games that are coming out has PvP. 

I am not very skillful on the keyboard in fact it would be an understatement to say I am bad. I would like support Crowfall but I'm worried I will not be able to play well if I suck at keyboard and mouse turning and other PvP elite skills. Do you think my plans for a meaningful presence in Crowfall will be doomed by my very bad PvP skills.

I also would like to support Mark Jacobs because I have always felt he was a decent chap just trying to make some games. Same query here too about Camelot Unchained.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

But my take is the opposite.   The Hype Meter top 3 are currently:

• Dark and Light (a failed decade old game relaunched as a self hosted survival type)
    • Epocilipse The Afterfall (a game with a total of 1 post and 1 reply in its game form)
    • Chronicle of Elyria 

Then companies use your Hype Meter in their ads...

I think some thought should be given to revamping the way it's calculated.   

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018