Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tolkien's 125th Birthday Toasted in Game - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTolkien's 125th Birthday Toasted in Game - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

Lord of the Rings Online News - Lord of the Rings Online players got together today to celebrate the one hundred and twenty-fifth birthday of iconic novelist J.R.R. Tolkien. Players gathered in Laurelin to hoist a celebratory cup in honor of the creator of the series of books that eventually gave birth to this celebrated MMO.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,420
    Very cool! Although I maintain the man himself would have hated the idea of his books being made in to an online game.
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    What are you two on about? We all know Peter Jackson created Middle Earth. Who's this knob?

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 213
    It's hard to imagine the vast scope of influence those books have had in the sixty some odd years since they were written. They have inspired countless people, movies, games, and other books. Kind of hard to beat a legacy like that.

Cheers Tolkien!
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

flizzer said:

Very cool! Although I maintain the man himself would have hated the idea of his books being made in to an online game.

Well we will never know that for sure. However the family who runs his estate absolutely promotes and loves the MMO. License was just renewed in fact. They absolutely hate the movies. Calling them Hollywood trash and a disgrace to his legacy.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,416

Letsinod said:

flizzer said:

Well we will never know that for sure. However the family who runs his estate absolutely promotes and loves the MMO. License was just renewed in fact. They absolutely hate the movies. Calling them Hollywood trash and a disgrace to his legacy.

This

• Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,820
    It was a great celebration, cheers to Laurelin folks and the organizer kinship :waving:
    (sips from the mug) The Professor!
    (too bad vanilla forum doesn't have the beer drinking emote the old forum had...)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,486
    edited January 2017
    Letsinod said:

flizzer said:

That's a shame, I actually think they are excellent. Sure, there are liberties taken that didn't need to be taken but in general I think they really bring his work alive.

Oh well.

now that I think of it I think they are better than the game which does not put me in a "Lord of the Rings" mood when playing it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,102
    I dont think the movies or the MMO did TOlkien justice...The books are light years better
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,216
    flizzer said:

A good point some authors object to any sort of retelling of their work, Anne McCaffrey and PL Travers spring to mind. They both never really moved on from that position. Hard to say about Tolkien, it is such an individual thing, not sure he ever spoke on the issue.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member RarePosts: 6,264

Sovrath said:

Letsinod said:

flizzer said:

That's a shame, I actually think they are excellent. Sure, there are liberties taken that didn't need to be taken but in general I think they really bring his work alive.

Oh well.

now that I think of it I think they are better than the game which does not put me in a "Lord of the Rings" mood when playing it.

Me too. I absolutely love the LOTR and Hobbit movies. The casting and acting was excellent.

I just judge the movies on it's own right, instead of comparing every detail to the books like some fanatics do. Those you can never please anyway, or they would have to have made 9 three hour movies, that would have been mostly boring like hell. /shrug