Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

20th Anniversary Retrospective - Diablo 3 Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2016 in Videos Discussion

image20th Anniversary Retrospective - Diablo 3 Videos - MMORPG.com

Members of the original development team talk about the idea behind the Diablo series, their favorite moments and much, much more in this awesome 20th anniversary retrospective video.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2016
    Jeff Kaplan, "I've worked on World of Warcraft and now Overwatch...."

Person, "Yeah, but do you actually know anyone who's worked on DIABLO?"

Kaplan, "Yeeeeaaah..."

:D :D :D

Diablo, the original, was my gateway into online gaming. I don't think I've ever been more terrified than that first time facing The Butcher...actually, facing is too generous a word... more like "FRESH MEAT!" *swing swing DEATH*

And the first time through the Cow Level and being moooowed down by the thundering herd....

Good times. Great memories. A lifetime of friendships that have become "real" through reciprocal visits to one another's homes. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    If there is such thing as a gateway drug Diablo was mine. It opened the doors to online gaming for me in a way that I didn't know existed. I remember staying up hours on our dial up internet service doing latency filled Laz runs with friends, trying desperately to upgrade my gear while not losing connection. I will always look back at those early gaming years with nostalgia :)
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    edited December 2016
    Diablo and Ultima Online were my two first dives into online gaming; they changed how I gamed just because I became more interested in RPG's and getting lost in a world other than our own. Diablo was so special because of it's ease to pick up and play, plus it was different than anything else out in the market at the time. Those memories I will always cherish.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited December 2016
    Mine's gotta be Warcraft 3.. I remember playing through the campaign numerous times and enjoyed every second. :D
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Diablo 2 was my big foray into online gaming and I have a ton of cherished memories with friends and it catapulted my group of friends into World of Warcraft and MMOs for the very first time.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I've purchased my first (and only) modem specifically to play Diablo 1 over Internet (which was in its infancy): it was too difficult to drag my PC every evening to another block to play D1 with my friend over direct cable connection. Initially I thought $300 is a bit too much for a gaming tool (the best available US Robotic Courier modem). Little did I know how big can be monthly bill for $2/hour dial-up Internet access...

Thank you for your time!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DMKano said:

Look up Diablo 1 credits, look at the core designers and programers, yeah its been a long time and none of them are at Blizzard anymore.

And this matters...why? Gaming is the most fluid business sector I've ever seen with people on the move constantly. I'm not in the least surprised that most of the original designers have moved on to other companies or have left gaming altogether. 20 years is a long time to be at one company in any business, let alone gaming.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I like seeing videos like this from developers. It helps humanize them for me. It's easy for me to get jaded about issues I have with current games and feel like it's only about profits. I forget that there are passionate people behind the scenes trying their best to bring us great games. They may not always be successful but I'm glad they keep trying.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Diablo 1 was amazing, it made me a hardcore fan of Blizz. Then Diablo 2 blew my mind and made me love the franchise even more. Then we get Diablo 3 and it ruined everything; but wait the expac may save it.... nope. D3 was such a let down I became severely jaded with Blizz. Recently saw the D1 in D3 and tried PTR... don't hold much hope imo. I'll always hold D 1 & 2 dearly in my heart though. (Best wishes to Grim Dawn keeping that spirit somewhat alive in its own way.)
  • kalrarkalrar Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Great work ! Great Legacy ! I miss those early days of getting so caught up in the game at the time about 1.07 of D2
    Meeting people typing and gaming at the speed of light never before attained or matched.
    Body popping in a cow game. Collecting ears dueling. Some good times indeed. Waiting to join or create a game watching and reading the ticker tape scroll of chat trade for items you just had to have yet not completely sure what all the abbreviations and analogies meant.
    Though I must say it would be outrageous to see a D2 in 3 D. Imagine what could be if instead of what they did with WOW a 3 D Diablo 2.0 would be? or could be? They started off well on the Horde side with Deathknell and could have run the ball all the way through Sanctuary. No Alliance bs, scewed chat and diluted it to what it is today. Just D 2 , the cube , the same world, the options galore of the repetitive looter with more physical graphic depth. Something to get into and really get the crap scared out of you. And that gut wrenching sound of being in the middle of a maze only to hear someone just went hostile on you ... yeah ... that !
    Thanks to all who brought us the game and the fuel for imagination.
  • cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210
    everything they describe is not diablo 3 lol
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    cloudacv said:
    everything they describe is not diablo 3 lol
    Haha yeah, the best years of Diablo were certainly the early ones (at least in my opinion). However, D3 has come a long way since launch. The game that was released was definitely a let down for me, but the RoS expansion did a lot to improve the game. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had many hours of fun playing D3.
  • triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Dark? Well D1 was, D2 had its moments. D3 is a tame comic book.
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181

DMKano said:

triikor said:

Dark? Well D1 was, D2 had its moments. D3 is a tame comic book.

Yep D3 got "wow-ified" - was my first criticism, I immediately said - this game doesn't have the dark M-rated atmosphere of D1 and D2. Feels way toned down.

The M rating in D3 feels out of place to me

That's what happens when a company becomes a huge corporation with a huge playerbase - have to play it tone it down to not offend the masses.

Couldn't agree more. D1 and D2 were wonderful dark adventures. The D3 WoWification was the same time I left WoW - Pandaland
    When I could find the same attacks on my hunter and my demon hunter in completely different universes. This clearly marks the turning point for Blizz IMO.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    dis ultra hd quality, i can see every beard hair super crisp.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Yes. I well remember UO and Diablo. They are some of the first online games that really caught my attention. Many, many great memories, of people and places long since gone.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Never cared for Diablo, and it wasn't my first Diablo-style game, so no particular nostalgia for it or its style.  Sure glad it spawned and influenced a big bunch of similar games though.  Some of those are cool.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Astor1977Astor1977 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Diablo I will always be my favorite. D II was good as well, but DI just had everything going for it, imo. It was creepy, dark, i had to think about what was around the next corner, etc. It made me want to poke into corners and explore.

DIII by comparison is just a yawn fest of holding down the button and running around. It was never once creepy or dark. Just a bunch of flashing lights and nothing i really cared about exploring or discovering.