Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'll say it again, Pantheon will be huge

Comments

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    There is nothing so perfect as an unreleased game that isn't even in alpha yet.  It can be all things to all people (regardless of what the devs actually claim).  It is a WoW-killer, it is everything you remember fondly of your first MMO with none of the things that you didn't like.  It is the perfect game.

I hope this game releases in a playable state.  I hope that there are enough people that like it to support the game and further development.  I hope it doesn't crash and burn.  I have these hopes even if I never play it.  I don't like seeing things crash and burn :)

For anybody that is hyped on this or any game - It is important to temper your expectations.  There will be features you don't like, the bugs may or may not be fixed to your satisfaction (but there will be bugs), and the devs will appear to ignore you (but just you specifically :) ).
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

... Let me add a little Phycology into the mix with the haters defending their stance on why the game will fail so badly... 

How is that adding Phycology?

Phycology (from Greek φῦκος, phykos, "seaweed"; and -λογία, -logia) is the scientific study of algae. Also known as algology, phycology is a branch of life science and often is regarded as a subdiscipline of botany. Algae are important as primary producers in aquatic ecosystems.

Are you calling "haters" algae?  You really don't like people disagreeing with you, ehh?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    "Pantheon will be huge"

No.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You want Pantheon to become very popular? Why? I thought you liked that game.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I don't know if it will be huge or not, I just want it to be good like the old school classic MMORPG's.  Lot's of races and classes to play. race specific starting areas, Decent visuals, dynamic combat, good grouping content and grouping tools. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2017
    Xatsh said:
    Game will not be huge but will have a large following. If it is really good probably will have a surprisingly larger following then expected and I expect the player base to be stable over many years and not have the rapid ups and downs of a modern themepark.

The problem is most people in this genre want a game they can jump into after work play for a few hours and be top tier endgame in a few weeks. The majority want fast paced twitch games. The majority want solo focused with the option to group. The majority want grinding removed completely. The majority want f2p games. Most people do not want to be forced to socialize to progress. Most people do not want actual mmos....

So no this will not be huge, but then again it does not have to be to be great successful either. Just needs a strong enough playerbase to last for years and support high quality content being developed.

This is the perfect example why I think this game will be huge.

Xatsh is doing the same as everyone else on this site.  He is referring to "most people", not himself.

Everyone assumes others, never themselves.....Others are fictitious ! 

In other words, I will play but others will not. Yet, if you talk to one of the others, they would say " I'll play but others will not ".

" Others " will not play is guessing, or assuming. 

NOW for the ones that clearly say absolutely not.  I say they will !!!!!!.....Now you may say this is bold. Well, I'm not poking fun at them........I'm just saying it will be imposable to resist, it will be mainstream at least at first......even bad mmos are always mainstream at first......I'll never say I told you so, I'm really not like that.  It's just a fact.

Remember  "curiosity killed the cat" ?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    It will feature:

land area:  8932 acres
    NPC count:  3892
    max elevation above sea level:  1389 feet

Add these together to get a total of 14213, which is well within the range of "slightly huge".
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I don't need the game to be "huge," OP is wishing for the wrong thing.

the only thing this game needs to be is GOOD, and SUSTAINABLE. it doesn't need 10 million subs, it just needs the cashflow to keep the development team paid enough to keep working on new content for years to come so even if its only 50k of us, we're happy campers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    The OP is correct, they is a major drought with MMO's unless you class the korean, chinese trash as mmo's, no really big AAA projects like in the past and all seem to be more small scale teams focused heavily on PvP, no AAA theme parks on the horizon and blizzard have no interest in making another mmo.

My PvP days are long behind me and hold little interest to me in my busy life, I like good questing content and large area's to explore with some good end game content with a subscription, you can stick cash shops up where the sun dont shine along with lock boxes.

I am interested in Pantheon but I do not want to get caught up in the hype as they have been a hell of a lot of disappointments these last 5 years.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I don't think the game will have a huge following.  If they deliver on what they have stated, the game will do well among those that like this type of game. And hopefully for a long time.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    DMKano said:
    What ensures that it wont be huge is that its a mmorpg. MMORPGs are not huge anymore. On top of that old school mmorpg - niche within a niche. Yeah - it wont be huge unless you consider 50k players after 6 months "huge".
    Adding this to my list of threads to bump after launch. Gonna be a lot of shocked people, starting with you pal.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    H0urg1ass said:

Pantheon is not a look forward.  It's a look back at an earlier time in the genre; a time that many people have chosen to move on from.
    Chosen And chosen.. It is more like your favorite kindof candy was taken out of production to be replaced by more profitable candy types. Your choice was only which new candy to eat. Now someone claim they will make that type of candy again, you know the kind without artificial color, and it looks like some are willing to buy it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I couldn't care less if it was HUGE.  What i would hope for:

• They deliver a reasonably bug free experience with the content and mechanics they promised.
    • I get to play the game and find it to be fun
    • They have enough players to support the continued growth of the game

Hit those 3 and it will be a smashing success in my view.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I couldn't care less if it was HUGE.  What i would hope for:

• They deliver a reasonably bug free experience with the content and mechanics they promised.
    • I get to play the game and find it to be fun
    • They have enough players to support the continued growth of the game

Hit those 3 and it will be a smashing success in my view.

Hypothetically, if "Pretty good" was a 4 and "Smashing Success" was a 5, isn't that the equivalent of saying "If this game is at least a 4, it will be a 5 in my view."?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    DMKano said:
    What ensures that it wont be huge is that its a mmorpg. MMORPGs are not huge anymore. On top of that old school mmorpg - niche within a niche. Yeah - it wont be huge unless you consider 50k players after 6 months "huge".
    You and your numbers pulled out of thin air again.
    While I believe that the OP is way over optimistic and setting expectations  too high, I really can't take this kind on nonsense.

If Pantheon quality is going to be shit (AKA Vanguard launch), not even 50k people will play it.
    However, are you telling me that a polished Pantheon, the only real MMORPG with an Old School feel, the MMORPG that EQNext fans turned to, will be less successful than Crowfall, Camelot Unchained or any other MMORPG in development?
    You can't be serious.

The "potential" Pantheon player base is over 500K, and that's conservative, bigger than any other MMO in production.
    All you have to do it's add EQ and EQ2 current players, EQ and EQ2 ex players (like me), Vanilla WoW fans (few millions), other Old School games orphans......and most importantly, a new generations of players that never played this kind of game and might actually like it.
    You guys seems to outright dismiss this possibility, because you all have families and no time to play this kind of games.
    Guess what, students and young people might have the time to play games like Pantheon.

So after considering all of that, how can you honestly tell that the best Pantheon can aspire to it's 50k?
    I don't think even you believe your own words.

edited January 2017
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:

50k 6 months post launch is a good number for a niche game.
    I don't think you understand the size of the gaming market.
    Your numbers just don't add up.

I don't doubt Virtual Realms will be happy with those numbers.
    However.
    EvE is a far niche game than Pantheon, yet it managed to hold 400k players for many years, but it is a 13 year old game and CCP failed to innovate, that's why they are losing subs.
    Hell, even really shit games get more players than 50k, how a game based on the legacy of EQ which without a doubt has way more than 50k followers alone (at their peak EQ had 400k and EQ2 250k players), and that's only old players without taking into consideration potential new players.

You seriously believe that 50k players is the best they can do?
    I don't claim to know how big is Pantheon potential player base, but a quick glance at historic numbers tells me you are way off the mark.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    50 k is way too low but 400 k is possible.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:
    While I believe that the OP is way over optimistic and setting expectations  too high, I really can't take this kind on nonsense.

If Pantheon quality is going to be shit (AKA Vanguard launch), not even 50k people will play it.
    However, are you telling me that a polished Pantheon, the only real MMORPG with an Old School feel, the MMORPG that EQNext fans turned to, will be less successful than Crowfall, Camelot Unchained or any other MMORPG in development?
    You can't be serious.

The "potential" Pantheon player base is over 500K, and that's conservative, bigger than any other MMO in production.
    All you have to do it's add EQ and EQ2 current players, EQ and EQ2 ex players (like me), Vanilla WoW fans (few millions), other Old School games orphans......and most importantly, a new generations of players that never played this kind of game and might actually like it.
    You guys seems to outright dismiss this possibility, because you all have families and no time to play this kind of games.
    Guess what, students and young people might have the time to play games like Pantheon.

So after considering all of that, how can you honestly tell that the best Pantheon can aspire to it's 50k?

DMK,

Your just another average kid on the block, you always think you have an inside edge. 
    And your data analyzer that you somehow got is broken.  Lets add in that because you got older and more responsibility everyone else is screwed in finding time...Can't figure out the reasoning behind that ?
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The still unidentified 50k seems to be growing.  400k?  Really?   After 6 month?  It is more likely the hype is rampant.  It's okay to want something, and to want something to succeed, but temper the anticipation with a dash of reality.  That way you won't be crushed by your own expectations.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    kitarad said:
    50 k is way too low but 400 k is possible.
    It really depends on the shape of the game at launch. I could see it go up to 500K players if it is in good shape but it could Vanguard. Hopefully have Brad got that from earlier experiences but we will have to wait and see.

But so far so good, I am impressed with what I seen before even though I think the chance of a million players (for more then 6 weeks at least) is slim to nun.

But I am happy with a stable game and a relatively full server to play on.
    Mendel said:
    The still unidentified 50k seems to be growing.  400k?  Really?   After 6 month?  It is more likely the hype is rampant.  It's okay to want something, and to want something to succeed, but temper the anticipation with a dash of reality.  That way you won't be crushed by your own expectations.
    It's not hype, it's common sense, read my previous two posts and then tell me that 50k is actually a realistic number.

And by the way, we are not saying that Pantheon will be played by 400k or by 1 Million people, that will depends on the quality of the game (concepts alone don't win awards in gaming).
    We are saying that the "potential" player base is over 500k, based on the numbers of people who plays and used to play EQ franchise added to people who used to play other Old School games (those are actual data).

On top of that 500k we could even add people who never played this kind of games and might be interested, but we don't have data for that, so since we are reasonable people, let's just stick with the "potential" number of 500k (The key word here is potential, not actual, I hope you understand the difference).

• tatertoadtatertoad Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I think the OP meant "HYUUUGE", not "Huge", subtle difference there.  As in the bigness of this game will make other games seem small.   This game will have big hands, etc.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:

You can't be serious.

DMK,

Your just another average kid on the block, you always think you have an inside edge. 
    And your data analyzer that you somehow got is broken.  Lets add in that because you got older and more responsibility everyone else is screwed in finding time...Can't figure out the reasoning behind that ?

Don't tell him that, he knows something we don't.