Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMORPG players fat ?

Comments

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    You should now ask, "Do MMORPG players lie?"
  • DashPadraoDashPadrao Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Nop :) MMO players are sexy cola style ahahah xD
  • JakkssJakkss Member UncommonPosts: 34
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I am well within my BMI and within healthy weight; However, I come across many people who have weight problems and that scares me to no end. I've known overweight individuals who have been dear friends who have met an early grave. There is a sadness that possesses me when I have to deal with a person not even forty bite the dust from being morbidly obese. 

When I do give advice to people who are overweight; Those who fear they have to cut back on all of their favorite foods, I always tell them: 

"If you want to cut your calorie intake by half, and also be a lot healthier in the long run, then simply learn to cook for yourself. That alone spares you the shame of all the processed ingredients in your food and the calorie content is usually a lot lower than what is found in frozen foods. Also, skip anything that has the name "Diet" as part of the label." 

I used to eat those McDonalds Big and Tasties when they existed, though each burger with cheese was rated at having over a thousand calories. I used to run Calorie checks on my food...

By definition a calorie is a unit of measurement to increase the temperature of one gram of water by 1 degree. A kilocalorie (1000 calories) applies to one kilogram of water (2.2 lbs). The calorie system is a subset of the Joules System, being a measurement of energy in the International System of Measurement. We burn calories in order to generate energy. In short, we are like walking furnaces where calories are the coal being burned into energy. 

Those who are overweight have plenty of insulation as fat is the ultimate insulator. A person regardless their physical state still needs at least the minimum amount of energy to operate, while the fat which works as the reserves of a person will take over. Its not the idea of starving yourself to death. Its the idea of turning off those receptors that always tell you that you are hungry and must eat more. 

A lot of processed foods will play with your receptors, making you even more hungry. I learned a lot from cooking my own foods that the need for me to get up and eat is far lower throughout the day than after eating foods in restaurants.

I do consider myself lucky to retain my form and shape without becoming overweight.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited January 2017
    Rhonda Rousey plays WoW. So does Mila Kunis. So does Vin Diesel. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AtydanAtydan Member CommonPosts: 5
    Loke666 said:
    Not really. It wouldn't hurt me to loose a couple of pounds but I am in acceptable shape.
    This!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Grunty said:
    I weigh the same as I did in high school 40 years ago.  5'10, 190, 36" waist.  The one time I tried to get to 175 in order to wear 34" jeans I couldn't get them on because of the size of my legs.
    thats my issue as well!  I am about your same size, though I have a 33 waist and can wear anything from a 32 to a 36 depending on the brand,  but the 32s are way too tight in the legs unless I wear "loose fit" ones, and then usually those are loose in the waist as well.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    iixviiiix said:
    I see a lot post about MMORPG player are being fat  So ... as MMORPG.com member , are you fat ?
    Yes I am Fat.  5 8  and 270 lbs.   Funny thing is when I was playing MMORPG hard core I also played floor hockey and Roller hockey 6 days a week at least 2 games per day.  I was 180 lbs and solid.  Now I am just a fat ass.  But at least I started my P90 workouts again.  But Donuts in the morning dont help.
    danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:
    I see a lot post about MMORPG player are being fat  So ... as MMORPG.com member , are you fat ?
    Yes I am Fat.  5 8  and 270 lbs.   Funny thing is when I was playing MMORPG hard core I also played floor hockey and Roller hockey 6 days a week at least 2 games per day.  I was 180 lbs and solid.  Now I am just a fat ass.  But at least I started my P90 workouts again.  But Donuts in the morning dont help.

Same. I played baseball and football at a highly competitive level when I was younger. I was 180 and solid all the way through school. I could pretty much eat anything and not gain an ounce. Now I'm hovering at the 215 mark, but I can drop 5-10 pounds a week quite easily down to the 195 area.......If I REALLY cared to work out, lol. My wife hates it. It's cool though, I can still beat my 14 year-old in a foot race, so I'm probably running low 12-second 100 meters which works out well because that's probably about as far as I'd care to run, ol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:

Same. I played baseball and football at a highly competitive level when I was younger. I was 180 and solid all the way through school. I could pretty much eat anything and not gain an ounce. Now I'm hovering at the 215 mark, but I can drop 5-10 pounds a week quite easily down to the 195 area.......If I REALLY cared to work out, lol. My wife hates it. It's cool though, I can still beat my 14 year-old in a foot race, so I'm probably running low 12-second 100 meters which works out well because that's probably about as far as I'd care to run, ol.
    When I tore my ACL I ended up gaining so much weight because I couldnt move like I use to.  Before I tore my ACL during the spring and summer I would run the beach for an hour or 2 several days a week in Dunkirk NY plus playing hockey.  Yea I was in shape and I still played MMORPGS hardcore.  Everything I did was hardcore.  Now I am just lazy lol.  Though getting into P90 is no joke.  I need to add some yoga back into my workout.  At 36 It takes a lot to loose 15 lbs.  From May of last year to September of last year I lost 30 lbs.  when I stopped working out I gained 15 lbs back.  All the holidays and good food and cookies and yea.   lol

I need to get my ass back into shape :) even if its low impact high calorie burning workouts.  my left knee cannot take the pounding.  When I tried running a mile a day after a few days my knee blew up like a balloon because the damage I done to it.  Thing is workouts like rowing machines or P90 without the jumping, and Yoga all do not cause my knee to blow up.  
    danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:
    Its all diet, not so much exercise.  You can work out 3 hours a day but you won't drop any poundage unless you change your diet.  Donuts in the morning definitely aren't the best choice.. lets move to waffles,  then pancakes, then maybe in a few weeks something with spinach and eggs.  

danwest58 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:

When I tore my ACL I ended up gaining so much weight because I couldnt move like I use to.  Before I tore my ACL during the spring and summer I would run the beach for an hour or 2 several days a week in Dunkirk NY plus playing hockey.  Yea I was in shape and I still played MMORPGS hardcore.  Everything I did was hardcore.  Now I am just lazy lol.  Though getting into P90 is no joke.  I need to add some yoga back into my workout.  At 36 It takes a lot to loose 15 lbs.  From May of last year to September of last year I lost 30 lbs.  when I stopped working out I gained 15 lbs back.  All the holidays and good food and cookies and yea.   lol

I need to get my ass back into shape :) even if its low impact high calorie burning workouts.  my left knee cannot take the pounding.  When I tried running a mile a day after a few days my knee blew up like a balloon because the damage I done to it.  Thing is workouts like rowing machines or P90 without the jumping, and Yoga all do not cause my knee to blow up.  

Yeah, when I DO workout I usually do HIIT of some sort. I use an app called Skimble to structure my workouts. They have a metric ton of workouts that you can choose from and then it's just a matter of selecting based on your comfort with your knee. I'd definitely recommend it. 

My biggest issue was overconfidence. I hadn't budged in probably 10 years from 180, so I felt invincible. Like I could eat anything. Then the first 5 pounds went on and I was like "Ha! Well, I'm definitely not going over that!" I'm sure it's a cycle that most people fall into. Until such a time as removing that weight becomes nearly impossible, especially since age is also working against you. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:
    Its all diet, not so much exercise.  You can work out 3 hours a day but you won't drop any poundage unless you change your diet.  Donuts in the morning definitely aren't the best choice.. lets move to waffles,  then pancakes, then maybe in a few weeks something with spinach and eggs.  
    Yea I use to use Michi's Ladder which helped me lose 30 lbs because I focused my eating and yes I did over eat a lot but 85% of what I ate was in Tier 1 and 2.  Also cashews which was a lot of a lot better than donuts and soda.  Hell I was having an intake of 100 oz of water a day.  Thing is once I get going on a workout the way I eat changes too because I get so tired on the work out that having more fruits and veggies increased my energy level.  The Crap food made me feed like crap.  
    CrazKanuk said:
    danwest58 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    danwest58 said:
    iixviiiix said:

Yeah, when I DO workout I usually do HIIT of some sort. I use an app called Skimble to structure my workouts. They have a metric ton of workouts that you can choose from and then it's just a matter of selecting based on your comfort with your knee. I'd definitely recommend it. 

My biggest issue was overconfidence. I hadn't budged in probably 10 years from 180, so I felt invincible. Like I could eat anything. Then the first 5 pounds went on and I was like "Ha! Well, I'm definitely not going over that!" I'm sure it's a cycle that most people fall into. Until such a time as removing that weight becomes nearly impossible, especially since age is also working against you. 
    Yea I tired that too I felt like I was 18 again when I started P90 and holy shit I was tired and felt like crap.  1 week of Michi's ladder and I felt great.  Problem is I started running around in the fall and well my knee blew up like a balloon.  I need to workout now in a way that does not put high impact on my knee or I am fucked.
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Hell no, i am a gym rat actually, Been training 22 years and am 39, Eat extremely healthy but still dont mind having a couple drinks on weekends here and there.  Your body is your temple have to take care of it, can cheat once in a while but damn if i want to be 60 and cant enjoy life.  As much as i love video games,  i am not a guy whose life revolves around getting an Epic Sword in a video game
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Fat MMO players?

Do MMO where you play with your body and let's watch the balance of power flip! MWHAHAHAHA!
    flguy147 said:
    Hell no, i am a gym rat actually, Been training 22 years and am 39, Eat extremely healthy but still dont mind having a couple drinks on weekends here and there.  Your body is your temple have to take care of it, can cheat once in a while but damn if i want to be 60 and cant enjoy life.  As much as i love video games,  i am not a guy whose life revolves around getting an Epic Sword in a video game
    If you been a gym rat what do you suggest for a guy that is 265 right now has bad knees that cannot take high impact training.  I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit  Pop Sugar youtube videos that might have good cardio workout that are not high impact on my knees.  Plus I was looking at a rowing machine.  Every time my knee blows up from high impact training I stop it all together because it takes 2 to 4 weeks before my knee is not swelling up and I can walk normal on it.  
    danwest58 said:
    flguy147 said:
    If you been a gym rat what do you suggest for a guy that is 265 right now has bad knees that cannot take high impact training.  I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit  Pop Sugar youtube videos that might have good cardio workout that are not high impact on my knees.  Plus I was looking at a rowing machine.  Every time my knee blows up from high impact training I stop it all together because it takes 2 to 4 weeks before my knee is not swelling up and I can walk normal on it.  
    Have you tried using a recumbent bike? Just walking? Yoga?  

The biggest issue I had when I got off the couch was trying to push myself to act like I did when I was 20.  I can't just get up and run 6 miles again... but these days you don't have to be too intense to get a good workout.

There are a ton of options these days.  The real trick is getting yourself to do them. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I watched this guy on twitch.tv for a while who was playing mmorpgs.
    He was extremely overweight and couldn't keep any diet for long. Eating helped him with depressions and it soon became an addiction.

He couldn't lose weight alone, but also had no money for professional help. So he started a "weight-loss challenge" on twitch!
    He basicly challenged himself to drop X pounds per week and to reach a certain goal at the end of the year. Every saturday he went on a scale live on cam on twitch.tv and posted his weekly weight-loss in his channel-info. Further rules were no more junk food while streaming and drinking a minimum of 2 bottles of water during the broadcast.

The amount of support he got from the viewers was amazing. I visited his channel every night for a while and i haven't seen a single viewer making fun of him. Everyone was serious to help and at times the people in the chat carried him through the cravings. By the end of the year he had lost about 110 pounds. Mind you, all while he was still mainly playing mmorpgs all the time, live on twitch and without a single workout.

He often mentioned that he could never have done this without his viewers. And with that much support he would have felt ashamed to step on the scales live on cam one saturday with no positive result in return.

So this guy found his own way to deal with his situation and it worked out for him.

Maybe this is an inspiring success-story for some of you.

danwest58 said:
    flguy147 said:

The biggest issue I had when I got off the couch was trying to push myself to act like I did when I was 20.  I can't just get up and run 6 miles again... but these days you don't have to be too intense to get a good workout.

There are a ton of options these days.  The real trick is getting yourself to do them. 
    Once I get going there is no stopping me.  Like I said I started last May and went 4 to 6 days a week working out with P90 and a little Yoga until September when my knee swollen up killing my drive to push myself.  What I need to do is create a balanced workout routine so I do not have that happen again.  Not being able to bend my knee for 2 weeks was painful.  

I have my mountain bike on the Alphine pro indoor Bicycle trainer.  Thing is with it being a mountain bike its not really meant for the trainer.  I also have a Trek bike.  

The one thing I liked about the P90 A workout outside of the sprawls is that its not too intense.  The sprawls are not easy on the knees.  Everything else in the workout is great :) 
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I am a little overweight, but I am  on a diet, and also exercising!

Burning fat, every day. Won't stop until I reach my ideal weight.

Might as well do this now, or I risk never managing it again.

I use the treadmill two and sometimes three times a day, for 16 min each, using an easy interval program, mixing walking and light jogging. Fun part is that you can up the speed and/or incline as you wish, without messing with the program.
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    flguy147 said:

Once I get going there is no stopping me.  Like I said I started last May and went 4 to 6 days a week working out with P90 and a little Yoga until September when my knee swollen up killing my drive to push myself.  What I need to do is create a balanced workout routine so I do not have that happen again.  Not being able to bend my knee for 2 weeks was painful.  

I have my mountain bike on the Alphine pro indoor Bicycle trainer.  Thing is with it being a mountain bike its not really meant for the trainer.  I also have a Trek bike.  

The one thing I liked about the P90 A workout outside of the sprawls is that its not too intense.  The sprawls are not easy on the knees.  Everything else in the workout is great :) 
    It just sounds like you push too hard too fast.  It's like those people that do crash diets like whole 30 and things like that, where they change everything they ever knew for 30 days, and when they're done they binge or revert back to bad practices.

A diet as much as a workout regimen is ongoing.  My workout regimen changed drastically, where I would do a much less intense workout 4 days a week. (Less intense meaning doesn't mean easy).  But for the most part, 30 minutes worth of weights and another 30 minutes (or 6000 total steps) a day in general of walking.  On top of a decent meal plan I've gotten back to where I was a year ago, and hopefully if it keeps up I'll be back where I was a couple years ago ha! 

Don't overdo it! Take it slow.  Make manageable choices. 

• CuthacheCuthache Member UncommonPosts: 9
    danwest58 said:

Do you have access to a pool.  Swimming can be a great low stress exercise - although if you have bad shoulders it can get rough.  If you don't bend your knees at all while kicking - there's little to no stress on them at all!.

If this question had been asked a year ago - I'd have to answer yes!  Got on the scale New Years day 2016- and was somewhat shocked to see I had gradually climbed to a massive (for me anyways) 225 pounds and on a 5'8" frame - well Pillsbury doughboy comes to mind - even if I used to be on the very muscular side.  Decided I needed to lose weight...doctor concurred.  Worked on cutting out as much refined sugar as I could over the past year - and the scale was at 165 this New Years (which was my weight through college and into my 30's)  I figure I still have about 10-15 more pounds to go - I lost a LOT of muscle mass over the years (like thighs went from 23.5" to 21" now) so...I'm still at it. 

Cuthache said:
    danwest58 said:

Do you have access to a pool.  Swimming can be a great low stress exercise - although if you have bad shoulders it can get rough.  If you don't bend your knees at all while kicking - there's little to no stress on them at all!.

If this question had been asked a year ago - I'd have to answer yes!  Got on the scale New Years day 2016- and was somewhat shocked to see I had gradually climbed to a massive (for me anyways) 225 pounds and on a 5'8" frame - well Pillsbury doughboy comes to mind - even if I used to be on the very muscular side.  Decided I needed to lose weight...doctor concurred.  Worked on cutting out as much refined sugar as I could over the past year - and the scale was at 165 this New Years (which was my weight through college and into my 30's)  I figure I still have about 10-15 more pounds to go - I lost a LOT of muscle mass over the years (like thighs went from 23.5" to 21" now) so...I'm still at it. 

Yes I am in the pool when I can be during the summer because my kids love swimming.  My problem ended up when I was trying to run again that I pushed my knee too far and then it blew up out of control.  Then I said screw this.   Though I have done my Yoga more for back stretching than anything else.  
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    flguy147 said:

It just sounds like you push too hard too fast.  It's like those people that do crash diets like whole 30 and things like that, where they change everything they ever knew for 30 days, and when they're done they binge or revert back to bad practices.

A diet as much as a workout regimen is ongoing.  My workout regimen changed drastically, where I would do a much less intense workout 4 days a week. (Less intense meaning doesn't mean easy).  But for the most part, 30 minutes worth of weights and another 30 minutes (or 6000 total steps) a day in general of walking.  On top of a decent meal plan I've gotten back to where I was a year ago, and hopefully if it keeps up I'll be back where I was a couple years ago ha! 

Don't overdo it! Take it slow.  Make manageable choices. 
    Yea I was not happy with only loosen 30 lbs in 4 months.  I felt I should have lost a lot more.  Which is why I tried to start running again.  Which was no problem at 18 lol.  My Knee which I tore my ACL didnt hold up.  I guess I will just have to be happy with 8 to 10 lbs a month of weight loss.  I went from a 4K to 5K calories a day down to around 2K to 2500.  I was eating a lot in Tier 1 and 2 in michi's ladder it didnt matter that I ate 2 sandwich bags of carrots or even cashew because my in-take on calories were 50% less and the nutrients where higher than the crap I use to eat.