Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play on a PvE or PvP server ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Just asking for your opinion.  Because a previous topic turned into a PvP vs. PvE argument and the population seemed divided.

Hypothetically, If you had to choose ONLY one server what would you pick ?......There is no " depends on the rules " it's a straight out question.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    My opinion, we all have one:

I hope the game is hard, not crazy devastatingly hard but a game where you have to focus on the objective with a group.  I want to make friends build bonds and work as a guild.  I like my games to have a lot of world anomalies built into the game.  MMO's tend to loose members of a group in the middle of a major task as it is......For the life of me, I could never figure out why people would accept a task they don't have time for....Just don't go !.....Harassment make players leave the groups even faster. 

I've always played World of Warcraft on a PvP server and didn't mind it.  But I also got annoyed with PvP games like Darkfall where you had to built prowess. I obsessed with it for months, only to realize it was a loosing battle because of the basement dwellers with no life but to play the game.

Then non-balance sets in.  You have the caster classes to dominate the field. People tend to not play the much needed tank and healer class because of domination of casters, and so many small little variables.

Developers end up focusing on pleasing balance, that the game itself lacks love. 

If I want PvP, their are tones of games to play for that...........Count me in as PvE !  
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2016
    With 16 years of mmo experience and countless hours of reading post and reviews, I came to three hard conclusions.....My opinion.

- Cash Shop mmos are always short lived.  No one plays them for long !

- Follow the quest line mmos are short lived too.  No one plays them for long !

- PvP mmos make people rage quit, and dominate topics ! 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    When does the beta start, and packages come out ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I went with unsure, as it really does depend on the rules.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    If i decide to play this game i would play on a PvE server. I always like challenge when i go out to level my character but i hate when max level trolls ruin my experience so PvP servers are a no-no for me. High level trolls don't pose a challenge in the open world, they just ruin the fun for other people.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    PVP server will be dead and merged with the PVE server in short time. It's a mistake to even make separate PVP server(s) IMO since I don't think the game is going to have the kind of population to support multiple server types.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    PVE server primarily, thats not to say that i might not also create a character to play on the PVP server from time to time, but that for me, primarily my gameplay in MMO's is biased towards PVE gameplay, also from a social standpoint, PVE servers tend to have less trash talk.
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    When I decide to invest time into a mmo, I like a well rounded experience.  To me, the joy of mmorpgs is having players fill many of the roles npcs used to, good and bad.  I'm not itching for a "fix" in any particular section.  I like to breathe life and meaning into every aspect of a rpg experience.  

I wouldnt write off pvp in pantheon because some of the devs want it too.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would never play a mmorpg for pvp,the idea alone is just dumb.Reason should be obvious,the game would lose all of it's Lore/immersion credentials and turn into nothing more than a weak pvp arena.

Anyhow aside from my opinion and leaning towards the difficult idea.I have no problem with difficulty but what  i have seen is a terrible trend towards GEAR being the main factor.I have heard so many people tell me they don't like min/max gaming yet they seem to not realize that is what gear does to a game,it turns it into min/max and less about the player's thoughts or abilities or even the character's abilities.

Anyone can look at a stat on a weapon or piece of gear and see the bigger numbers says to equip,it is a real lame way to itemize a game.So players get the best weapon,best armor and all of a sudden they are the best player,not good game design.

So if Pantheon system designers are any good,they should create a system whereby players work together to take down tough foes.Like timed player>player co-ordinated combos,attack specials and combos that are specific towards a certain type of enemy.

QUICK easy scenario:Mob resistant to Fire based attacks,defense is piercing based,so your team would do Water based attacks  as well perhaps Blunt or Crushing.Perhaps the mob has specific tells that it will hate reset meaning the healer had better pay attention as well anyone that is not a tank.s well the Tank might want to save his shouts for that key moment instead of just spamming them.Maybe the mob does Fire based attacks,so you need fire resistance gear and fire resist spells.Maybe the mob is quick/agile,you would all need faster shorter type weapons etc etc,you can see my point,good design takes mroe than just formulas and min/max.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited December 2016
    I will be on a PvP server. Folks should remember though, the game is geared towards cooperative PvE and as such, it's unlikely classes will be "balanced" in PvP.

Despite all the whining about balance in PvP, this system worked fine in EQ and the servers lasted for a number of years.

Those who haven't PvPed over anything other than territory and resources in other MMOs, will probably find PvP in Pantheon to be a welcome change. Instead of running out of things to do and stuff to fight over in your Darkfall's and such, progression provides you will a continual reason to log in and POIs to fight over.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Forgrimm said:
    PVP server will be dead and merged with the PVE server in short time. It's a mistake to even make separate PVP server(s) IMO since I don't think the game is going to have the kind of population to support multiple server types.
    Its easily possible that over 80% of players will choose PVE servers over PVP ones, and when it comes to developing future content/features etc. for the game, its entirely likely that the focus will be heavily biased towards the PVE servers, as thats where the majority of the games playerbase will likely be focused, unless they merge the servers and have PVP as a voluntary option, then its likely that there will not be enough of a population on the PVP servers to warrant further development of content for them. :o
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I voted for PvE, but I do hope they have battlegrounds, arenas, and at least one contested region on the PvE servers in this game!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    PvE

I don't enjoy PvP so why put myself through it? :)
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    Its a PvE game at heart, so Ill play the intended design. PvP servers are an afterthought just like they were in EQ1.
    well said -

Not sure why MMO-devs feel like they need to tack on PvP servers to a PvE game but never the other around these days (Asian MMO's I'm looking at you in particular...)It is not as if those games are massively popular without the PvE-only crowd to attract (which is much, much bigger overall when it comes to MMO's) lol.  Something tells me F2P cash shops need forced PvP...*cough*
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i hope it doesnt even have PVP at all , or if its has pvp 2 different skills sets ( Enchanter and PVP could be a nightmare )
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    Its a PvE game at heart, so Ill play the intended design.

PvP servers are an afterthought just like they were in EQ1.

If Pantheon was a PvP game from ground up, I would be playing on PvP servers.
    Actually, PvP servers existed in EQ from beta. As someone who had max level characters on both PvP and PvE servers, the PvP was actually much more enjoyable to me. No worrying about training, no crying over spawns, no petitioning guilds because they leap-frogged you over raid content.

PvP was actually quite suitable for EQ. Sorry you missed it.

edited December 2016
    DMKano said:

Oh I know - but EQ1 was based on DikuMUD PvE campaign - that is the basis of EQ1 core design

PvP was there yes - but the focus of game development was clearly PvE first, PvP 2nd.

Thats why I said "afterthought" as 90% of game development wad focused on PvE
    I agree with you in a sense, but I don't think an MMO has to be "about" PvP for PvP to work well.

I don't need to be guided into artificial confrontations or rewarded for how many people I've killed. That whole paradigm has been stale since pretty much the beginning. That's why games like UO and DAoC are remembered so fondly, because they actually offered other ways of playing the game than pure PvP.

I much prefer to be given a world with things to do, people to meet, places to explore, and various ways to progress first and foremost. Then PvP to exist organically within that world with positive and negative consequences for those choices.

That is why, as a huge fan of PvP, I'm still more excited about Pantheon than any of the PvP titles in development. To me, a virtual world should first be designed to be fun without PvP, for it to be fun with it.

I personally think the PvP MMOs that were most successful in the past understood this, and those that didn't, did poorly.

• KxelemKxelem Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited December 2016
    PvE for me all the way :)  PvP on its own server is kewl, but mixed in with PvE always brings grievers of some sort, never fails.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    PvP if the ruleset is good. I hate FFA senseless pvp. Give it a purpose and some type of karma system and I'm in.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Chose Unsure, but leaning HEAVILY toward PvE. I want to have fun with other people, not be someone else's fun. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • edhoyempireedhoyempire Member UncommonPosts: 2
    MORE PVE AND HAVE A PLACE TO PVP
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    They should just make the game PVE only and focus on that...Quit trying to please the minority PVPers in every single game
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    PvE. I prefer that style in my MMORPGs.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    PvE here, especially for the way Pantheon is being designed where PvE is the primary focus.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I already get my fair share of a certain type of pvp personality in Black Desert so no need to add to the fire.

However, people should remember that there are also jerks in pve world as well. Came across some of them in Lord of the Rings Online where I wished I had the ability to pk.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo