Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light advanced weather system - Nightfall Transforms the Map from Friendly to Frightening

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Dark and Light's weather and day/night cycle influences the gameplay and environment, improving on the already highly developed weather systems found in many sandbox games.

Daylight lasts about 50 minutes in real time and is ideal time for exploring far and wide. Hunting is safest during daylight hours as many creatures are less aggressive, and players are less susceptible to surprise attacks. Of course, on a clear day with no rain, players will be able to enjoy miles of visibility from high altitudes, and can experience breathtaking views of Dark and Light's expansive scenery.

Dark and Light's world becomes increasingly dangerous as night falls. Plenty of menacing creatures imbued with dark magic lurk in the forests at night, and some creatures become incredibly aggressive when the sun has set.

Read more at:

http://www.playdnl.com/all/2016/1230/5400.html

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Aaaand more screenshots...

If that top screenshot is anything to go by, the mobs are so densely packed in DnL that each AoE attack will kill five... :lol:
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I really like this feature.

By the way, a day lasting 50 minutes is quite short, is it not? I do not recall how long these cycles are in other games.
    Pretty sure the cycles in FFXI and AA were/are about the same time.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    That night pic is about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited December 2016
    unless they can show some convincing gameplay to back their claims.... I'm not buying (metaphorically and literally)
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Galadourn said:
    unless they can show some convincing gameplay to back their claims.... I'm not buying (metaphorically and literally)
    yea just wait youll see footage sooner or later
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    GwapoJosh said:

I am having No Man's Sky pre-release flashbacks...

Remember that?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    GwapoJosh said:
    If DnL was going to be a single-player game, that night scene would be amazing.

But it will be multiplayer-PVP, so all the PVP'ers will either turn up the gamma until there is no darkness, or use radar hacks to find targets in the dark. The player in that screenshot is using his "Gank Me !" signal, he's carrying a light in a PVP game...
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    DMKano said:
    GwapoJosh said:

Remember that?
    It never appealed me but ikr!

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:
    GwapoJosh said:

Remember that?

Lol that video is hilarious
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    DMKano said:
    GwapoJosh said:

Remember that?
    Not sure why people would think that's the most beautiful thing they've seen.

If you look at the screenshot in depth, you'll see that it's just bright ass colors that make it appealing.  If you look at the detail of each area, the dinos skin, trees, grass, etc, you'll see that it's not all that spectacular...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    uh great, another feature revived from 2004 :)

next thing to come: mobs having a state towards you, based on groups, and how many you killed of them.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Dragnelus said:

which game is this from? DnL still?
    Zarkin86 said:
    Dragnelus said:

which game is this from? DnL still?
    Yeh DnL.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The first shot looks like a painting more than a screenshot  but the night one looks like a screenshot. I like the one above though it is very nice.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    GwapoJosh said:
    If DnL was going to be a single-player game, that night scene would be amazing.

But it will be multiplayer-PVP, so all the PVP'ers will either turn up the gamma until there is no darkness, or use radar hacks to find targets in the dark. The player in that screenshot is using his "Gank Me !" signal, he's carrying a light in a PVP game...
    If the npcs are as dangerous and aggressive as claimed the PvPers may be too busy defending themselves to gank anyone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What complete nonsense.  We have not even seen video of the game and you come out with this?

We have no idea what the developers have done with the Dark & Light code.  I suppose it is nice to speculate, but that is all it is, speculation.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Albatroes said:

By the way, a day lasting 50 minutes is quite short, is it not? I do not recall how long these cycles are in other games.
    FFXi entire day is 24 minutes game time which is about 30 minutes and it seems fine.
    Night time is from 20:00 >4:00 8 minutes game time so about 10-12 minutes real time and again seems fine.
    So 50 minutes will be a very long time in the dark,many people only play for an hour tops then take a break so their entire time will be playing in the dark.IMO it is too long but  would have to try it to see for myself.
    I think i would worry more about the game itself and the publisher,this looks like ARK all over again to me,trying to sell a half ass game based on Dinosaurs.Who knows really,what i do know is no way would i give any gaming company money up front without first having a real good look at the game,better yet actually playing it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The screenshots are most certainly treated, what is quite normal like when we see Ark Trailers the game looks so good, then you play it and notice those awful character animations and other bits they purposely do not show. :3
    Wizardry said:
    Albatroes said:

FFXi entire day is 24 minutes game time which is about 30 minutes and it seems fine.
    Night time is from 20:00 >4:00 8 minutes game time so about 10-12 minutes real time and again seems fine.
    So 50 minutes will be a very long time in the dark,many people only play for an hour tops then take a break so their entire time will be playing in the dark.IMO it is too long but  would have to try it to see for myself.
    I think i would worry more about the game itself and the publisher,this looks like ARK all over again to me,trying to sell a half ass game based on Dinosaurs.Who knows really,what i do know is no way would i give any gaming company money up front without first having a real good look at the game,better yet actually playing it.
    It says 50 min daylight, no idea how long nighttime will be. As for Ark for me ive spent enough time and fun to justify the 19 euro.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Dragnelus said:
    It says 50 min daylight, no idea how long nighttime will be. As for Ark for me ive spent enough time and fun to justify the 19 euro.
    They can purposely make night shorter as some games do.

Or they can just have interesting gameplay at night, for example, have specific bonus, or types of monsters / bosses that would come out at night alone, that'd be interesting instead of the typical "wait until sun rises".
    MaxBacon said:
    Dragnelus said:
    They can purposely make night shorter as some games do.

Or they can just have interesting gameplay at night, for example, have specific bonus, or types of monsters / bosses that would come out at night alone, that'd be interesting instead of the typical "wait until sun rises".
    We will see "soon"