Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Great Ideas That Came From Shut Down MMOs - The List at MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    How about great ideas from these games that did NOT get picked up? CoH had an incredible character creation ability. I think it might have affected the design of later games, in that you now see lots of options and sliders, but only the rival games Champions Online and DC Universe Online have comparable range -- humanoid, furries, robots, aliens, insectoids... I had 2 humanoid PLANT heroes. Well, the genre allows for more of that than most, but I think sci-fi games could use it (Genom come close?) and even some of the fantasy games could use some more variety.

I had high hopes when I found out about Tabula Rasa when it was expected to be released soon. They were talking about the world(s) changing according to what the players did, not everything always the same for every player and even individual NPC foes constantly respawning. They were also talking about have a class or two that would actually depend on a player's brains in a serious way, not just resource management or the ability to follow a "crafting" recipe. At least that's what I recall. But just when I expected to hear that it was ready to go... nothing happened, and it seemed to be abandoned. It actually ran? Was it just in Europe or something?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Thane said:
    <3ed PQs in warhammer online :)
    Was funny when I played Rift how many people thought Rift came up with the idea....So many things from that game were stolen from WoW and WAR.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Thane said:
    <3ed PQs in warhammer online :)
    Was funny when I played Rift how many people thought Rift came up with the idea....So many things from that game were stolen from WoW and WAR.

Did WOW or WAR steal anything?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited November 2016
    Sidekicks were stolen from Guild Wars(another NCSoft published game).

And speaking of GW, how about the limited skill bar/skill sets? Always loved coming up w/ new skill combinations to outwit the other players in HoH.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I don't understand the pre-occupation with games stealing things from each other.  In fact, I wish there was a game out there that would steal all of the best parts of other games and put them into one game.  They don't even have to innovate one little bit.

Lets see.  I'd like an MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe, with attributes and skills like GURPS/Shadowrun has, the combat system ripped straight from Shadows of Mordor, the crafting system lifted from EVE Online, the graphics pulled from BDO, the character animations and fatalities yanked from Age of Conan, fully voiced npc's like SWTOR has and a day/night life cycle for NPC's like Skyrim has.

That would be a damn near perfect game for me, and I didn't have to innovate a thing.  Just pulled all the best parts from the games I like.
    H0urg1ass said:
    I don't understand the pre-occupation with games stealing things from each other.  In fact, I wish there was a game out there that would steal all of the best parts of other games and put them into one game.  They don't even have to innovate one little bit.

Lets see.  I'd like an MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe, with attributes and skills like GURPS/Shadowrun has, the combat system ripped straight from Shadows of Mordor, the crafting system lifted from EVE Online, the graphics pulled from BDO, the character animations and fatalities yanked from Age of Conan, fully voiced npc's like SWTOR has and a day/night life cycle for NPC's like Skyrim has.

That would be a damn near perfect game for me, and I didn't have to innovate a thing.  Just pulled all the best parts from the games I like.

That is a problem. Taking expensive parts of lots of games to make one and people think devs are lazy for not doing it.  It costs too much to do that.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    bartoni33 said:
    It was my first MMO so I might be wrong but how about dedicated Social Areas like SWG had? Pre-NGE cantinas were an essential stop for any adventurer.
    I'd say it's the opposite. Those were a common part of MUDs and MMOs that came before SWG. SWG was one of the last to have that. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    As good as the design of Dynamic events is in GW2, I still think that the best example of taking PQs to the next level is seen in Rift just because of their zone-wide effect and the groups of mobs traveling across the landscape instead of just staying within their leash. They actually do feel like invasions in Rift.

Now it's time for someone to take THAT to the next level.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    edited November 2016

Alverant said:

CoH also had user-generated missions. I don't know if it was the first, but you had some pretty good tools to make unique adventures.

Sadly I never saw a single creative or interesting user created mission in CoH. All people did was make extreme power leveling rooms, which killed all group leveling (best part of the game imo), and contributed to the eventual shut down of the game. :(
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Asamof said:

Alverant said:

CoH also had user-generated missions. I don't know if it was the first, but you had some pretty good tools to make unique adventures.

Sadly I never saw a single creative or interesting user created mission in CoH. All people did was make extreme power leveling rooms, which killed all group leveling (best part of the game imo), and contributed to the eventual shut down of the game. :(

You should have tried mine then. It had prostitutes rebelling against their abusive pimps. Of course if the GMs ever found out about it it would have been quickly deleted and my account would likely have been suspended for a short while for the content violation.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

Asamof said:

Alverant said:

That is the problem.  Long before CoH added MA there has been talk about adding this type of thing to an mmoRPG.  Players will naturally exploit anything you allow them to so don't give xp or loot/coin/etc.  Let players be creative but don't reward people playing the missions.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Thread should be titled: What the hell happened to MMORPGs?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited December 2016
    #1 should have been Vanguard: No hand holding. ...wait nvm all MMOs now hand-hold....
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097

waynejr2 said:

Asamof said:

Alverant said:

That is the problem.  Long before CoH added MA there has been talk about adding this type of thing to an mmoRPG.  Players will naturally exploit anything you allow them to so don't give xp or loot/coin/etc.  Let players be creative but don't reward people playing the missions.

I disagree. While there were plenty of user made missions that were strictly for power leveling, there were several good mini TFs. I made a half dozen of them, and my SG spent a lot of time helping me fine tune them. Some ended up in the waste can, but others were very well received.

I don't think AE was a problem in and of itself. I think they needed a system where these were rated by players, honestly rated, and then sent to the devs for review. A mission or mission arc determined to be strictly for power leveling should have caused a penalty for the player, something serious like temporarily losing access to a half dozen powersets, and not allowed to make missions for say, 30 days first offense, 90 days second, and banned from doing anything after a third.

A good method could have been requiring SG approval, and then maybe have players that would be in a testing pool that got free sub-time for testing these. If they liked them they were sent to a dev who reviewed them, and if they liked them they were added to the mission stock.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!