Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Weapons of War....and Survival - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Weapons of War....and Survival - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles News - The Conan Exiles site has been updated with a new developer blog that discusses the "arsenal of weapons" and their importance both for battle and for survival. Some weapons are designed for the kill, others for capturing and enthralling slaves.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    After watching a few Conan ex vidoes. I think they are far from ready. I wish them the best.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    So they ditched AoC combat for The Witchers?!
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    Asheram said:
    Don't compare action combat to the shitty combat of the witcher please. Witcher is not the first game to have weapons that do different damage (Which makes sense).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited December 2016
    I wish there were alternate ways of getting workers. So instead of enslaving them, rescuing them and offering them employment which they may/may not take.

Otherwise, I like what I'm seeing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Levels? Hmm that surprises me.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sovrath said:
    I wish there were alternate ways of getting workers. So instead of enslaving them and rescuing them and offering them employment which they may/may not take.

I think that would be brilliant -- offer employment or, alternately, offer haven from the fight along with employment as a city worker or armed force. The idea of enslaving anyone makes me a little queasy, though I get that it fits the lore of the Conan universe. It's just not something I can see my character doing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited December 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:
    Don't compare action combat to the shitty combat of the witcher please. Witcher is not the first game to have weapons that do different damage (Which makes sense).
    I wasn't refering to different weapons doing different things. I was talking about it sounding like you just have 2 attacks to perform fast attack/light dmg slow attack/heavy dmg which is a mechanic from The Witchers combat.
    They didnt say anything about directional attacks like AoC has so I am wondering if they are going to use it in any form or is it just going to be pick one of the 2 options and thats what you get.
    What type of action combat is what I mean as well, I hope its AoC type and not Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, ESO etc etc etc.

SBFord said:

Sovrath said:

I wish there were alternate ways of getting workers. So instead of enslaving them and rescuing them and offering them employment which they may/may not take.

I think that would be brilliant -- offer employment or, alternately, offer haven from the fight along with employment as a city worker or armed force. The idea of enslaving anyone makes me a little queasy, though I get that it fits the lore of the Conan universe. It's just not something I can see my character doing.

I think that being able to offer pay for mercenaries would fit just as well in the setting, and it would give you a reason to be concerned with money. They say in the promo info that you can amass wealth, but if there is nothing to spend money on then who cares really.
    Asheram said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:
    I wasn't refering to different weapons doing different things. I was talking about it sounding like you just have 2 attacks to perform fast attack/light dmg slow attack/heavy dmg which is a mechanic fro The Witchers combat. They didnt say anything about directional attacks like AoC has so I am wondering if they are going to use it in any form or is it just going to be pick one of the 2 options and thats what you get. What type of action combat is what I mean as well, I hope its AoC type and not Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, ESO etc etc etc.
    All survival games seem to take the easy route with light and heavy attacks which is a shame.

That's why I love mount & blade warband and replay it from time to time. There's no combat I enjoy more than that (Well dragon's dogma comes second).

Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:
    I wasn't refering to different weapons doing different things. I was talking about it sounding like you just have 2 attacks to perform fast attack/light dmg slow attack/heavy dmg which is a mechanic fro The Witchers combat. They didnt say anything about directional attacks like AoC has so I am wondering if they are going to use it in any form or is it just going to be pick one of the 2 options and thats what you get. What type of action combat is what I mean as well, I hope its AoC type and not Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, ESO etc etc etc.
    All survival games seem to take the easy route with light and heavy attacks which is a shame.

That's why I love mount & blade warband and replay it from time to time. There's no combat I enjoy more than that (Well dragon's dogma comes second).
    I probably would never stop playing this game if it had Mount & Blades combat.  =)
    Asheram said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Asheram said:

I probably would never stop playing this game if it had Mount & Blades combat.  =)
    I backed gloria victis for that reason but I doubt they are going for exactly that.

They have direction attacks but only 1 type of blocking atm which kinda suck. Directional attacks/blocking also bring realism into account if they also make you stagger when hitting walls/objects. I played numerous custom maps and/or siege maps in warband where specific weapons work in corridors but two handed weapons are almost useless.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited December 2016

Archlyte said:

What's wrong with levels? They provide a sense of progression which a lot of people really like, myself included. What I really want to know is what does going out and hunting NPC's provide aside from bringing them back as thralls? There NPC's that drop gear for you to use? Any infamous npc's to go after that drop even better loot but may be rare? What do the NPC's provide that isn't a thrall? Thats what I would like to know
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016

Sovrath said:

I wish there were alternate ways of getting workers. So instead of enslaving them, rescuing them and offering them employment which they may/may not take.

Found the liberal.

It's set in a world and culture where enslavement is the norm for menial work. Yes it's bad but it's how things were back then. And it wasn't seen as "evil" in that time period/fantasy period, just how things were done. Having hirelings is a different system and would have another aspect attached to it at least it would if they wanted an authentic experience.

All in all, I think what you are proposing wouldn't be true to the Conan experience especially if you are meant to be some castaway/exile which only goes to show you aren't in the deserts of hyboria for being a saint.

Archlyte said:

What's wrong with levels? They provide a sense of progression which a lot of people really like, myself included. What I really want to know is what does going out and hunting NPC's provide aside from bringing them back as thralls? There NPC's that drop gear for you to use? Any infamous npc's to go after that drop even better loot but may be rare? What do the NPC's provide that isn't a thrall? Thats what I would like to know
    Nothing wrong with it. I was just thinking it would be a perma death type game and didn't think they would put progression in the game to that degree. Now I really want to know how death works.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited December 2016

Sovrath said:

Found the liberal.

It's set in a world and culture where enslavement is the norm for menial work. Yes it's bad but it's how things were back then. And it wasn't seen as "evil" in that time period/fantasy period, just how things were done. Having hirelings is a different system and would have another aspect attached to it at least it would if they wanted an authentic experience.

All in all, I think what you are proposing wouldn't be true to the Conan experience especially if you are meant to be some castaway/exile which only goes to show you aren't in the deserts of hyboria for being a saint.

It would in fact be true to a Conan experience. Not every person was a slaver or condoned slavery. Though I should add that it was extremely widespread in Conan's world.

I have absolutely no problem with slavery in the game including the taking of concubines. Nor do I have issues with nudity, assassination, or anything that fits in the world. However not everyone was a slaver or condoned slavery and it would be nice to play a character that has choices.

True I am a liberal. B)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    I hope they don't have that stupid capture mechanic like in Reign of Kings....its ok for Npcs, but so stupid for players.
    In the end it will come down to how fun and reliable combat is. Def very interested, loved AoC. Was hoping for a fps type game but, if combat is fun, acurate, and fluid I will play in 3rd person....can't wait
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Nyctelios said:
    I like what the devs says... But what they shown on streams does not validate their claims - it is bad.

It is clunky, it is ugly, it is nowhere what they claim it is. Which worries me: Maybe all the other things they claim will also carry that quality?

I wish they would polish it a little bit before streaming (and please put someone to stream who is not trying to act like a 12 years old trying to be edgy) because my first impression was "woa, another Steam indie greenlight early access vanilla assets / asset flip survival game".
    Aside from the horrendous AI(Which it WAS horrendous but  they already said it  was bugged and were working on), what was clunky?  The fighting animations were clean and smooth, the running was smooth(the stance you take when wielding a weapon is a little odd but oh well), the graphics looked good, the world looked good, the brief showcase of the building looked clean.  What was clunky about what they showed?  I am curious