Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Schools the MMORPG Industry on How You do a Winter Event

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

One of the most obvious things developers do when it’s time for Christmas, is implementing falling snow. It looks fairly nice and puts you in the mood for some Holiday cheer, but there is a major deal breaker. It almost never really changes the world. Those cute snowflakes fall on the usual green, brown and grey land, and then just disappear.

Black Desert Online
 is different. The Korean developer Pearl Abyss embraced the purpose of making a technologically advanced MMORPG, and the game has a dynamic weather system with rain that accumulates on the ground forming realistic puddles, and surfaces that turn wet when they’re rained on. With this year’s winter event, they have gone a step further.

Snow has been added to the weather system, and when it happens, snow actually accumulates on the ground, grass, buildings and other surfaces, even on player characters and NPCs. When it stops snowing, it gradually melts, leaving wet surfaces and puddles of water, which then evaporate.

What’s really impressive about it, is that snow actually changes how the world looks, and it does so dynamically, giving everything a fresh appearance. It’s extremely pleasant to the eyes, and crowns the attempt of adding seasonal variety to the game (which got red leaves in the fall and cherry blossoms in the spring already).

It also looks fantastic, as you can see in the videos at the bottom of the post. The first is a timelapse showing how snow changes the world from when it begins to when it stops. The second is a nice ride around the snowy world (including some transitions), to show you how it looks in different locations.

It almost feels like a pity that the system is going to go away when the winter event ends, and it’s certainly interesting to see so much work go into something that players will enjoy only for a few weeks.

Of course, there is also the possibility that the system might be used in the upcoming elven land of Kamasilve, which will expand the game’s world further next year. The neighboring land of Drigan also seems to be quite snowy.

Personally, I’d love to see the system becoming a permanent feature in the game, at least in areas in which it’s appropriate.

One thing is for sure. Pearl Abyss has been schooling the stagnant (at least technology-wise) MMORPG industry on how you can create a MMORPG that doesn’t look like games released five years ago, and on the fact that implementing new graphical tech won’t suddenly cause the servers to collapse upon themselves.

With the announced partnership with Silicon Studio that promises to advance the game’s visual tech even further, I’m certainly curious to see just how far Black Desert Online will go.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/17/black-desert-online-winter-event-holidays/

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I must say that they nailed Winter in Black Desert Online. No other game comes even close to the level of detail that they put in the game. 

Everytime I see it I am amazed at how well done it is. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I am in Calpheon right now, it looks amazing.
    BDO graphic department deserves a huge Xmas bonus :)

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    BDO definitely has the best weather effects.  The graphics (besides the horrid pop-in) have always been one of the game's few saving graces.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

lol ok

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    When you look at the things they have been giving players, the black spirit adventure game that was been running for November and December that gives you three things a day, the daily attendance bonus that gives some nice gifts like 10 blackstones or several chances at an ogre ring, plus Santa dropping hats and other holiday themed things, you have to admit, this company is giving a ton of actual useful items to its players compared to the drivel that other companies are handing out.

It reminds me back to the old days of UO when you got three tickets and had to find the player with matching numbers and you got some awesome items.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited December 2016
    Talonsin said:
    When you look at the things they have been giving players, the black spirit adventure game that was been running for November and December that gives you three things a day, the daily attendance bonus that gives some nice gifts like 10 blackstones or several chances at an ogre ring, plus Santa dropping hats and other holiday themed things, you have to admit, this company is giving a ton of actual useful items to its players compared to the drivel that other companies are handing out.

It reminds me back to the old days of UO when you got three tickets and had to find the player with matching numbers and you got some awesome items.
    Yep I forgot to mention all of that, Pearl Abyss is doing a great job.
    Now if they could improve PVE this game could be my home for years.
    I just want to point out to the devs that the new PvP area, Valencia, is empty.....they should focus in implementing dungeons for next expansion.

edited December 2016
    Talonsin said:

Not quite sure if handing out endgame gear in hopes people actually log in is something we really want to see emulated in other MMOs, but it's nice you're enjoying the free stuff I guess.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Talonsin said:

Not quite sure if handing out endgame gear in hopes people actually log in is something we really want to see emulated in other MMOs, but it's nice you're enjoying the free stuff I guess.
    The fact that you haven't a clue if they are handing out end game gear or not but still see the need to make a comment sort of proves a point .....I guess
    Talonsin said:

There is almost no end gear in BDO as you have to craft it yourself by enhancing it with the Stones.
    And definitely they are not giving away anything game breaking.
    I got a couple of nice rings from the boxes and sold them out because I have way better.
    I also got a Costume that expires in a week, everything else is XP potions and a few Enhancing stones.
    Nothing really game breaking, but it's nice to have freebies.

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    The winter weather looks great!

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Talonsin said:

That's not really how it works. that "end game gear" will either be a first piece (which is useless as is) or one you use to enchant or use to repair.

Getting a first piece is not really hard and can usually be purchased from the auction house for reasonable amounts. It's getting it up to the top enchantment level that's hard.

So them giving you a piece is really no big deal other than being nice.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

They really did do a good job with the snow.  It doesn't seem like it would be a huge stretch to go to seasonal changes too.  Obviously they have some skilled people there.  Ryzom pulled it off years ago.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Schools?  Really?  Are we taking this place down to the level of street. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    adderVXI said:

They really did do a good job with the snow.  It doesn't seem like it would be a huge stretch to go to seasonal changes too.  Obviously they have some skilled people there.  Ryzom pulled it off years ago.

They CAN do them. They did it in October, where there was a period of time where the seasons alternated.
    They just choose to reserve them to match the RL seasons.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Recore said:

Snow has been added to the weather system, and when it happens, snow actually accumulates on the ground, grass, buildings and other surfaces, even on player characters and NPCs. When it stops snowing, it gradually melts, leaving wet surfaces and puddles of water, which then evaporate.

I love the added show to the game, but WHY DOES IT SNOW IN THE DESERT? They should have taken the extreme heath into account of the desert and let it not snow there, but instead make it rain and let the flowers/plants flourish there...
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Ya a con has to look/sound good to reel the suckers in lol
    edited December 2016
    Bad.dog said:
    Talonsin said:

The fact that you haven't a clue if they are handing out end game gear or not but still see the need to make a comment sort of proves a point .....I guess
    Hmm, you don't think ogre rings are endgame gear?  They are the best rings in the game.

Not to mention the game is enhancement based.  If they hand you millions of silver, it's basically handing you gear.

Freebies are nice but this is ridiculous.  It minimizes actual effort put into the game.  Same with afk fishing, which is just a ploy to keep you logged in, again in hopes you make a shop purchase.

The problem I have with this is the entire game is built to push you into the shop instead of built to be fun.  People are logging in to get the free stuff or staying logged in to afk fish instead of just wanting to log in because the game is so much fun.  I'd much rather the game actually be fun and not some endless shop-nudging grind.

Talonsin was saying this is awesome cause other games don't give you as much stuff for logging in.  I'm suggesting he's not seeing the bigger picture and I don't think other MMOs should emulate this.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Bad.dog said:
    Talonsin said:

Hmm, you don't think ogre rings are endgame gear?  They are the best rings in the game.

Not to mention the game is enhancement based.  If they hand you millions of silver, it's basically handing you gear.

Freebies are nice but this is ridiculous.  It minimizes actual effort put into the game.  Same with afk fishing, which is just a ploy to keep you logged in, again in hopes you make a shop purchase.

The problem I have with this is the entire game is built to push you into the shop instead of built to be fun.  People are logging in to get the free stuff or staying logged in to afk fish instead of just wanting to log in because the game is so much fun.  I'd much rather the game actually be fun and not some endless shop-nudging grind.

Talonsin was saying this is awesome cause other games don't give you as much stuff for logging in.  I'm suggesting he's not seeing the bigger picture and I don't think other MMOs should emulate this.
    Agreed. This act will likely cause similar items price to drop, but this from another MMO perspective, not sure if this apply on BDO.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Really enjoying this winter event. Looking forward to more goodies from the Attendance rewards also <3
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2016
    sooo, they managed to bring a feature from 2004, and you guys go nutts? :)

DAoC had falling snow, footsteps in it, and the snow was "growing" when it fell on the ground (eg first little snow, then abit more, and in the end it was fully snowcovered).

i am not too impressed that someone finally managed it to do the same 12 years later. rather shocked why no one else did it so far....

maybe some of you  will finally understand what made DAoC better than the rest out there *G*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited December 2016
    Recore said:

"Snow has been added to the weather system, and when it happens, snow actually accumulates on the ground, grass, buildings and other surfaces, even on player characters and NPCs. When it stops snowing, it gradually melts, leaving wet surfaces and puddles of water, which then evaporate."

A little old game called Darkfall Unholy Wars had snow that did exactly the same thing, exactly. Light drifts, slowing covering the ground and landing on all objects, then snow starts to pile up on everything, the ground, houses, fences, boxes, bushes,  even your mount.  This happened until there was about 4 inches of snow capped on everything in the area it was snowing in. Even foot and mount prints.  It would then slowly melt away.  It was amazing.   It's just that literally no one played DFUW so I can see how someone playing BD might think its a first in an MMO.
  • AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I notice your hair also gets wet. But the trees are still in full leaf, and the wild flowers in bloom. So it ain't winter.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    annnnnnnnnnnnnd  it's gone.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2016
    Short version:  How do you do a winter event so amazing that it schools all the other MMOs and makes them go home crying to mama about their inferiority?  With good graphics!

Apparently.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited December 2016
    Big deal, they have a progressive weather system.  That does not alleviate all the other short comings of which there are a multitude.  Even old decadent Lotro offers a wealth of different outfits for the xmas period and I can dye them to a plethora of colors.