Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Most Wanted MMOs of 2017 a Columns at MMORPG.com

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Nothing interesting there, time to go back in my box until 2018..... Unless Chris Roberts gets involved with anything else then I'll be out when the sun sets in never never land.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Definitely interested in Pantheon. Playing the EQ progression server was the only MMORPG that held my interest for longer than a few weeks. Also, and completely unlike me, I want to try MU Legends. I like the idea of a MMORPG in the isometric viewpoint. Lost Ark is far more intriguing to me than Lineage Eternal but we'll see. Surprised Lost Ark didn't make the list.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, I'm sure someone else already mentioned that several on that list aren't even MMOs. That fact alone is pretty telling.

Most of the rest probably won't be released in 2017, minus the half-release, early access stuff(like Crowfall is supposed to be doing).

Sea of Thieves is definitely pretty cool, but also not an MMO.

As for real, actual MMOs, I am probably most interested in seeing how Camelot turns out. But, I think it's probably also the furthest from launch. They might be the only ones who actually built their own engine and designed from the ground up with performance in mind.

It's going to be real interesting to see how some of these others built on Unity/Unreal foundations actually perform.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

3dom said:

1) half of the games won't be released in 2017 and

2) I've played nearly half of the games from the other half and the only decent game is MU Legend - and I say that as a person who usually delete SEAsian games after 15 minutes. MMORPG devs really should switch to MMOaRPG genre instead of creating more boring (and ugly) garbage consisting of time sinks and RNG rather than action and fun.

I agree. The quality of MMORPGs have dropped to a horrible level. I'm slowly switching to other genres with main focus (MMO)ARPGs like MU Legend, Lineage, Lost Ark.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    edited December 2016
    Lol, oversaturation of those "tru sandbox expirince". There isnt big enough audience to even keep one of those title alive. Gonna be fun, i like seing tears and worlds burn.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

3dom said:

1) half of the games won't be released in 2017 and

2) I've played nearly half of the games from the other half and the only decent game is MU Legend - and I say that as a person who usually delete SEAsian games after 15 minutes. MMORPG devs really should switch to MMOaRPG genre instead of creating more boring (and ugly) garbage consisting of time sinks and RNG rather than action and fun.

I agree. The quality of MMORPGs have dropped to a horrible level. I'm slowly switching to other genres with main focus (MMO)ARPGs like MU Legend, Lineage, Lost Ark.

Really enjoyed MU Legend beta. I think it is the best mmo arpg I have played. 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

meddyck said:

Camelot Unchained is the one I most want in 2017. But since it's still not even in Beta 1, I see little chance it will actually come out in 2017.

Betas don't typically go on for long periods of time. If it hits beta before August, it'll likely be out before end of year. 

Tell that to WoW, SWTOR, GW2, ESO, Albion Online and I'm sure bunch of other games. The only reason why some games have a short beta is that they renamed alpha to pre-alpha, closed beta to alpha and open beta to beta.

Beta usually take 6-9 months, sometimes even longer.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    For me, I'm looking forward to Pantheon and CU the most, though I doubt any of them will be released in 2017 (I sure hope they'll prove me wrong!).

Conan I will buy at release (being in the Conan universe makes it better than all the other survival games even if it ends up not bringing anything new to the genre), but I will only play it on a private server with RL friends.

As for the others, I'm sure I'll eventually look into them at some point.. but I'm not "waiting" for any of them specifically.

• pioanstefanpioanstefan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited December 2016
    The battle gonna be between Crowfall and Chronicles of Elyria, but i doubt gonna be released in 2017.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

LrdEtrius said:

"Dark and Light is meant to be a fantasy sandbox survival MMORPG."

They dropped the MMO tag a while ago... its just a multiplayer fantasy sandbox survival game.

For marketing purposes sure, but with persistent servers and hundreds of players per server, it's an MMO.

Thank you for including Dark and Light also! For many it went under the radar this year. I am glad to see this old sandbox game getting a second chance in today's market!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    You think CoE will come out in 2017? That's cute.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Of those listed, Pantheon and DnL are the ones on my list.

That said, I will be keeping an eye on CU. I abhor OWPvP in MMOs because of the tactics used against those that may just want to quest... but in an MMO where the sole purpose is to PvP, that sounds like fun.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    May want to update Albion Online's info or just remove it from this list. With it's history of delays I doubt you will see it in 2017.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I want a game that just makes sense.Over the many years having played many games ,i have a long list of crappy things i don't want to see in my games.

ridiculous movement is one of those.Combat that looks incredibly spammy,so fast there is no possible realism in it.
    Combat that never misses ,players pickup a new weapon and are automatically a pro with it is again unrealistic  and makes no sense.Food effects that ONLY work out of combat again dumb.
    Biggest peeve is anything that ruins immersion,example big yellow ?'s over npc heads and colored rings around targets etc etc.

So before a dev begins to even think about design,get the common sense stuff right first then start getting creative.
    NOTHING is worth hyping anymore because everything is released asking for money in an unfinished state and often barely playable.So when a game releases finished and looks solid,then i will take a look.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    That's a pretty sad and shallow list.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    edited December 2016

meddyck said:

Camelot Unchained is the one I most want in 2017. But since it's still not even in Beta 1, I see little chance it will actually come out in 2017.

Betas don't typically go on for long periods of time. If it hits beta before August, it'll likely be out before end of year. 

https://www.gamerpros.co/war-thunder-leaves-open-beta/
    :p

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I'm personally hoping for Star Citizen. Yeah yeah, I know.
    postlarval
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Bless Online looks the best, by far. They also used those key words for features in the end of the description paragraph.

Conan Exiles, I personally hope this game turns out great.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    look 75% those are PVP based yawn , only 1 that probably make it is Camelot

bless is gonna fail flat , Shroud lol , Pantheon is the only one that is instersting somehow , PVE group based ...now wondering if population can keep up , no pop = fail in a group based game , lets hope they have a way to mentor or group with low lvls ....

tons arent going to be released in 2017 or in a beta stage that will push ppl away

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318

LrdEtrius said:

"Dark and Light is meant to be a fantasy sandbox survival MMORPG."

They dropped the MMO tag a while ago... its just a multiplayer fantasy sandbox survival game.

For marketing purposes sure, but with persistent servers and hundreds of players per server, it's an MMO.

I believe this is an MO 1k + members should be used for Massivly title due to the fact that anything less just doesn't feel like a lot of people in most games like rust that have privatly owned servers.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    NobleNerd said:
    May want to update Albion Online's info or just remove it from this list. With it's history of delays I doubt you will see it in 2017.
    There are quite many games which are unlikely to get released in 2017, in my opinion.

To name a few - Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, Shards Online.
    The concept of "release" is becoming largely irrelevant.

ARK has been in "Early Access" for years, but it's played daily by thousands. 

War Thunder has been in beta for years, daily peak players are around 60K. I have over 2000 hours of WT behind me. War Thunder actually officially released last week. Nobody noticed.

Most of the games on the list will probably be playable in some form in 2017, whether it be pre-alpha, alpha, Early Access, closed beta, open beta, generic beta, Early Start or in 1 or 2 cases, actual release. If the game is good, it will be bought and played heavily, regardless of its development status tag.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    As a backer looking at what they have and frequency of info release. I'd be surprised if CoE made it in 2017. I mean anything could happen but i'm looking more at a 2018 release than anything else.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016

meddyck said:

Potentially though there is a big difference @BillMurphey between "big company" games and crowd funded games.

With big company games - as you say is short - the beta that we - the public - see is basically just marketing; maybe a stress test - but even that can be simulated.

With crowd funded games people can be impatient. You have the "there is no code, its all jpegs, there is no game, it will never launch" threads. Negativity that ultimately has to be countered otherwise .... Hero's Song. And usually the only way that it can be countered is to launch "something" - earlier than you would normally do so. Internally it would be build 3.72 (or whatever); externally devs have to call it "something" and to indicate progress they subsequently have to call it something else.

So you get alphas and pre-alphas and so forth.

Development takes time though and - unless the team have access to decent simulation testing you will need a longish beta - as @Shaigh says. Now whether that has to be 10 months as was the case with WoWs US beta - they had an EU beta as well in parallel - or the game is simple enough to make do with DDO's 3 day "stress test" will vary.

Needless to say it won't be surprising if many of these titles don't "launch" in 2017 - but if they make it to an alpha or a beta that will be better than the alternative.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Take the "s" out of MMOs. CoE is the only one I'm waiting for. Others look...."ok". :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    whilan said:
    As a backer looking at what they have and frequency of info release. I'd be surprised if CoE made it in 2017. I mean anything could happen but i'm looking more at a 2018 release than anything else.
    The only thing CoE will release in 2017 is regular delay announcements ! :lol: