Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Most Wanted MMOs of 2017 a Columns at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Most Wanted MMOs of 2017 a Columns at MMORPG.com

2016 was a rough year. The long-standing MMOs we’ve come to love carried along quite well, but for new titles the selection was pretty limited. And so, as we’re fond to do at year’s end, we look forward to 2017 and the titles we expect to launch (even if in early access, which we pretty much consider launched but ‘half-baked’). Here’s to the next twelve months and the many hours of gaming goodness we hope it brings.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DekztarDekztar Member CommonPosts: 3
    Im just waiting for Sea of Thieves and Bless Online :)
  • LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    "Dark and Light is meant to be a fantasy sandbox survival MMORPG."

They dropped the MMO tag a while ago... its just a multiplayer fantasy sandbox survival game.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    LrdEtrius said:
    "Dark and Light is meant to be a fantasy sandbox survival MMORPG."

They dropped the MMO tag a while ago... its just a multiplayer fantasy sandbox survival game.
    For marketing purposes sure, but with persistent servers and hundreds of players per server, it's an MMO.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Ib4 dark and light mmo? Comments haha

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    If this is the best we have to look forward to, I'll be back in 2018.
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited December 2016
    Sea of Thieves and Crowfall are the two from the list that im looking forward to. The two of them really intrigue me from what ive seen so far and I like the art style in both games.

Overall im going to try and give a miss to the asian mmo's being ported over to the west as im tiring of them. They all appear to be too similar and in the end I get sick of the extreme rng and grind that they bring.
    Post edited by Scarran on
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Will play Bless and Sea Of Thieves while waiting for Age Of Wushu 2 and maybe Peria Chronicles.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    edited December 2016
    Pantheon is the one I'm really looking forward to.

Very interested in Bless ...

The Conan game is a first day purchase for me but I'll just play with a few friends who aren't really "gamers" but who would be interested in trying it.

I'm on the fence with Dark and light because I don't really like the idea of "sci fi aliens" and dinosaurs and then 'fantasy'.

I've backed Camelot Unchained so hopefully I'll get my money's worth. I'll try Life is Feudal; who knows, maybe that's the game Iv'e been waiting for as I like the combat a lot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Man, so much Asian garbage.

CU and Pantheon look great, but otherwise what a sad year 2017 is going to be.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Nothing on that list excites me.

LiF may be worth a try, but it will in all likelihood just become another deathmatch arena.

I'm looking forward to the day that Dual Universe goes into open beta. That's a very ambitious project with great potential, but equally great possibility of failure.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    edited December 2016
    Still waiting for City of Titans.... the CoH withdrawal is real

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If half of these actually come to market in a playable state in 2017, I think it will be a fun year.  We're finally seeing some different stuff besides the standard themeparks coming out, and I'm interested in trying them.  If I like half of the half that actually comes to the market, I'm still gonna be in a good place.  For the themepark heavy people, it might be looking like a poor year, but for the sandbox leaners, it should look kinda nice IMO.

I self identify as a monkey.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Camelot Unchained is the one I most want in 2017. But since it's still not even in Beta 1, I see little chance it will actually come out in 2017.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    meddyck said:
    Camelot Unchained is the one I most want in 2017. But since it's still not even in Beta 1, I see little chance it will actually come out in 2017.
    Betas don't typically go on for long periods of time. If it hits beta before August, it'll likely be out before end of year. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    meddyck said:
    Betas don't typically go on for long periods of time. If it hits beta before August, it'll likely be out before end of year. 
    Beta you might stand a chance.... early release and you might have a couple years to go before final release.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Most wanted MMo? The one that has an actual explorable world and isnt a questfest with ? and ! dotting the entire landscape....We are begging someone to make a world we can explore and let us make our own fun instead of trying to constantly entertain and do everything for us.
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    50% of those games are for 2018 or more hahaha

l2p

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    B.S. marketing-hype betas are short, good betas last more than a couple months (WoW, EQ), so developers actually have time to fix things.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Majority of these we probably won't see released or in a reasonable state until 2018.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    1) half of the games won't be released in 2017 and

2) I've played nearly half of the games from the other half and the only decent game is MU Legend - and I say that as a person who usually delete SEAsian games after 15 minutes. MMORPG devs really should switch to MMOaRPG genre instead of creating more boring (and ugly) garbage consisting of time sinks and RNG rather than action and fun.

Thank you for your time!

• Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    This list just proves how dead mmos really are. Most of these titles will never even come close to getting finished and will just die a slow death while still in "beta".
    Frankly, looking at the industry as a whole the best thing we can hope for is that console games keep going in the direction they have been going in and maybe by 2020 well have some proper mmos again. Look at something like GTA Online or The Division these games fell just short of being proper mmos.

Whatever the case it sure as hell wont come from any of these devs barely capable of keeping their doors open.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    None of those games mentioned does anything for me and I can't see anything on the horizon that will make me think that anything 'new' or 'ground-breaking' is likely to come out, other than re-hashed stuff we've seen in a different setting with different graphics before. Companies no longer take risks to be brilliant.
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Bill,

Thanks for the mention, much appreciated!

FYI, I've been telling folks that they should expect a longish Beta (not years and years and years...) for us since we are focused on getting it right for release. As an RvR-focused game, we can't afford to launch the game in a broken/semi-broken state. We will take our time, add classes during the Beta process, and continue to iterate on the game we have said we are going to make for our Backers. And of course, there are no worries about adding new and exciting features, BSC ideas, etc. during development as we have publicly said (and backed that up with our Stretch Goals, FPs, etc.) that we aren't going to go down that path. It should be a fun Beta for our Backers as besides the main game itself, we will be regularly testing large-scale battles once the first wave of classes are in and working well. That should be a lot of chaotic fun. :)

Thanks again and I want to wish you, the team, and the readers/posters here at MMORPG a Happy New Year in advance.

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• LutorinLutorin Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Totally interested by Pantheon .
    At last a move away from "solo -get to max level in 1 week - run from 1 quest hub to another " MMORPGs I have been waiting for at least 10 years !
    Marginally interested by Camelot Unchained too .

Not sure that either one will make it farther than beta in 2017 .
  • Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Only interested in Pantheon. If only there's a large improvement to animations.