Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does 'Aesthetically Different' Gear Drop In BDO?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
I'm very interested in trying out BDO, although I've heard from numerous sources that the gear which drops isn't that different in looks (if at all) to what your character starts off with.  Is the only way to change the looks of my character's gear by buying it off the cash shop?  I wouldn't mind in the end of course, but whilst leveling I like my character to have different looking gear every so often so he doesn't look the same... Speaking of which, I saw one guy on a stream had the same looking gear on from level 1 to 50, although the stream is old now so I'm not sure if anything has changed in game recently regarding gear.

On a sort of related note... Is it true that you can't tell another player's level?  So you could have a guy at level 1 with powerful looking gear he bought from the cash shop and I'd be fooled into thinking he's some super strong high level.  Basically is there any way to find out the levels of the players around you?

Finally, is it true there's a free trial week this week?  The BDO site's been down for me for a while now, so I've not been able to check.

Thanks.

Comments

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited December 2016
    The gear in BDO has some slightly different looks.  The best looking gear is cash shop gear.  I can't remember about the level thing, haven't played in like 6 months.  With the gear you get a set that you like and upgrade the pieces to +16 or what ever it is now.  Then you can get the highest level on the armor and give it to your level 1 character if you wanted to, except weapons/secondary items shield/talisman/what ever else is used.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    There are many In-Game Armor for each Class but they all look very similar, some look meh some look cool (General the Grundil it's the best looking for each Class).
    Check them in this site BDO Fashion, just browse the "Armor" tab and choose your class.

Having said that the CS Costumes are far better looking than normal gear, after all that's how BDO make money
    Good news is that now player can sell Costumes on the AH so, if you know how to make money in game you don't have to spend a penny to own your favorite Costume.

PvP starts at 45 (optional) and 50 (forced if you want to get to lvl 51), so even if you can't see the level of a player, you won't be able to attack him before 45, and he won't be able to attack you.
    Passed that level, you won't be able to see the level of who's attacking you, but once you are 50 the level of a player doesn't make much difference in PvP, what counts is the gear.

Yes there is a free trial, probably the website is down because everyone wants to play and the Servers gave up.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    All the cool stuff you see in videos or trailers? Cash Shop - ALL of it.  A few of the standard armor looks are decent on a few of the classes (subjective, of course) but most of the stuff you will probably desire? Cash Shop, $20-30 each.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    edited December 2016
    bdo in a nutshell

- grind for gear and live exp
    - do semi afk stuff like crafting and fishing
    - and grind grind grind

Then when you finally reach a level and got somewhat decent gear you find out that there open world pvp system aka karma system is complete broken

i enjoy grinding now and then.. thats about it
    edited December 2016
    azurrei said:
    All the cool stuff you see in videos or trailers? Cash Shop - ALL of it.  A few of the standard armor looks are decent on a few of the classes (subjective, of course) but most of the stuff you will probably desire? Cash Shop, $20-30 each.
    Or you can buy it on the AH for 20 Millions, which is not much (at least for me)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    FuryV said:
    I'm very interested in trying out BDO, although I've heard from numerous sources that the gear which drops isn't that different in looks (if at all) to what your character starts off with.  Is the only way to change the looks of my character's gear by buying it off the cash shop?  I wouldn't mind in the end of course, but whilst leveling I like my character to have different looking gear every so often so he doesn't look the same... Speaking of which, I saw one guy on a stream had the same looking gear on from level 1 to 50, although the stream is old now so I'm not sure if anything has changed in game recently regarding gear.

On a sort of related note... Is it true that you can't tell another player's level?  So you could have a guy at level 1 with powerful looking gear he bought from the cash shop and I'd be fooled into thinking he's some super strong high level.  Basically is there any way to find out the levels of the players around you?

Finally, is it true there's a free trial week this week?  The BDO site's been down for me for a while now, so I've not been able to check.

Thanks.
    You can't tell another player's level. Additionally there is supposed to be a free trial week (just advertised on the front page of this site).

You wouldn't be fooled into thinking that someone was uber powerful because everyone knows what the gear looks like and knows that anyone at any level can be wearing it.

The only thing that would give someone way would be if you saw them using their awakening weapon.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    ste2000 said:
    azurrei said:
    Or you can buy it on the AH for 20 Millions, which is not much (at least for me)
    Well that's something at least.  Hopefully all the gear isn't too overpriced.
    FuryV said:
    ste2000 said:
    azurrei said:
    It's important to differentiate "gear". This stuff isn't gear it's cosmetic (for the most part).

Gear can actually cost many many times that.

Keep in mind that gear is meant to be upgraded. So you can buy a piece but have to eventually repair the durability which will go down from enchanting. You do this by using another piece of gear.

This is why it can get expensive to upgrade boss gear.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

FuryV said:
    ste2000 said:
    I depends.
    In BDO you don't loot powerful items, only the low version of those (lvl 0).
    Basically you buy (or loot) a piece of Basic Gear which is lvl 0 then you have to enhance it up until lvl  20 (extremely Rare).
    You can either enhance it by yourself collecting the Stones needed by looting mobs and completing quests, or you can buy the item already enhanced on the AH, the higher the lvl the higher the price.

ste2000 said:
    FuryV said:
    ste2000 said:
    I depends.
    In BDO you don't loot powerful items, only the low version of those (lvl 0).
    Basically you buy (or loot) a piece of Basic Gear which is lvl 0 then you have to enhance it up until lvl  20 (extremely Rare).
    You can either enhance it by yourself collecting the Stones needed by looting mobs and completing quests, or you can buy the item already enhanced on the AH, the higher the lvl the higher the price.

That's kind of what I do now as I don't find the enchanting of gear above, say 16, to be enjoyable. It's very tedious. I once figured out that I could have bought a piece of gear for a little more than I spent on stones/repairs.

edited December 2016
    Sovrath said:
    ste2000 said:

That's kind of what I do now as I don't find the enchanting of gear above, say 16, to be enjoyable. It's very tedious. I once figured out that I could have bought a piece of gear for a little more than I spent on stones/repairs.

Yep, gear above 16 (PRI) is very expansive, but the difference between 16 (PRI) and 18 (TRI) is not so much in terms of performance.
    Gear lvl 19 and 20 is almost impossible to enhance, you really need to be a billionaire just to give it a try, there are not many people around with that kind of gear.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This  game easily has the worse gear selection of any mmo I've ever played.  The variety is very lacking (besides the CS).  I'd be more supportive of their cosmetics in the cash shop if the game was F2P and not B2P.  As a B2P game I expect some variety of in game gear.  Leveling 30+ levels without a change in how you look got old quick.  Not trying to knock the game, I just feel this is one of the games weak links.
  • AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Frankly, I think Blade and Soul has better looking costumes at more reasonable prices. I've looked at the CS costumes for my class and barely like any of them. On the other hand, running around in a silly blue dress gets old fast.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    There is a cash shop item to transmute looks from other gear/weapons on your main gear but it's not in our version yet.

I don't know why they didn't bring it yet. It's like, one of the most important things to not look identical to everyone else. Then people could use the looks of the other gear sets you can find which are sub optimal but look nice.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Bloodaxes said:
    There is a cash shop item to transmute looks from other gear/weapons on your main gear but it's not in our version yet.

I don't know why they didn't bring it yet. It's like, one of the most important things to not look identical to everyone else. Then people could use the looks of the other gear sets you can find which are sub optimal but look nice.
    I'd guess that the transmute item will be significantly cheaper than a whole CS outfit.

The outfits must be selling well enough in the NA/EU version to delay the introduction of an item that will undercut costume sales.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    Bloodaxes said:

I'd guess that the transmute item will be significantly cheaper than a whole CS outfit.

The outfits must be selling well enough in the NA/EU version to delay the introduction of an item that will undercut costume sales.
    Yeah I guess, even tough costumes give tiny benefits, while transmutation would be just looks.

There's quite a few gear you can find ingame that looks nice but it's set effects are not good for combat. Crafting gear also looks nice which could be used for transmutation. Then you could change it's colours with some dyes to make it more unique/nice.

OK, noob question. If you change your costume looks at character creation time, does that continue in game? I was assuming they were just previews. I really don't like this silk dress, and one of the valkyrie options at least looks like armour. Do I have to create a new character to get it?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited December 2016
    That's tarotus you can craft it in the workshops.

This is grunil also craftable 

Within a couple of months and I suppose one month if you're diligent you can get enough of a worker empire gathering the resources and crafting it. The contribution points was actually the more difficult part for me to gather to open the points to get to the different areas. I managed grunil easily.

You can check out out the advanced armour workshops the ones that allow you to craft the higher armour it has the chevron on it indicating the workshop level check places like Calpheon or Altinova.

https://bdofashion.wordpress.com/category/armor-sets/
    Chamber of Chains
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    FuryV said:
    ste2000 said:
    azurrei said:
    As far as i understand the auction house prices are set by the game, not by the players. The game sets a min/max limit and you put a price within that limit. That means you wont ever see morons asking for ridiculous prices. It also means that those prices, as high as they may look(in the millions), are relatively easy to gather.

edited December 2016
    cheyane said:
    That's tarotus you can craft it in the workshops.

Thanks! I will try and work out how.

edited December 2016
    I hope ...
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    The game does not have much variety in gear appearance. The cash shop items that you can buy 'are' relatively cheap, and the costumes you can get from the market aren't too hard to buy before someone else snags em.  

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/10934/
    Here is grunil armor, and a link to a website that is very useful for looking up items and npcs.
    From that you can figure out how to craft it (what materials you need)
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I must warn you I am a housewife I had oodles of time to build my worker empire and I traded a lot so I did build up my farming and trading and also got very far exploring the map. If you are too low level just run around and don't let the mobs hit you then once you have found the node guy you can lose aggro and come back and open the node. I did this in ridiculously high level areas and opened everything up to get the crystals to make the armour. I also made ships and wagons but I don't PvP so don't ask me about the type of gear was not interested in that aspect of the game. 

http://i.imgur.com/HHNUZN4.png

That might help 
    Chamber of Chains