Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Coverage of Elk-gate?

IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
I would have thought a $36 DLC Elk (that really isn't a very good model) would have at least made some statement over here.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A moose? 

Sorry, Swedish humor.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    I dont see the controversy at all.  The price is ridiculous, but there are plenty of other ways to get a mount.  If players dont buy it, they wont have such nonsense pricing again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    syriinx said:
    I dont see the controversy at all.  The price is ridiculous, but there are plenty of other ways to get a mount.  If players dont buy it, they wont have such nonsense pricing again.
    Agreed, vote with your wallet or you see a lot more things like this.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,006
    Loke666 said:
    A moose? 

Sorry, Swedish humor.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    How melodramatic. The elk isn't $36. Let's get our facts straight.

It's 4500 Crowns.

You can get crowns through subscribing at 1500/mo. They pay you up front so if you buy a 3 month sub you get 4500 crowns right there.

You can buy them on sale. 5500 Crowns is $25 on sale.

You can get a really nice horse skin in the store for under 1k crowns so there are nice looking cheaper alternatives too.

So if you haven't saved or you spent all your crowns and you want it right now you're going to pay more because crowns aren't on sale right now. I agree it's expensive. I have a lot of crowns and I'm certainly not going to burn them on that. 

They will probably put it in the crown crates after the timed offer expires. Players said they wanted a "sure way to buy crate items" and said they would pay more for a sure thing rather than playing scratch-off with the crates. Here is the more expensive sure thing, although I would say that is a lot cheaper than trying to collect it through crates.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Torval said:

It's 4500 Crowns.

You can get crowns through subscribing at 1500/mo. They pay you up front so if you buy a 3 month sub you get 4500 crowns right there.

Turns out the mount doesnt have the same features as most mounts (cant hide saddlebags), so thats a little disturbing that they didnt mention that before people buy it.

The cynic in me says this is their way of depleting peoples crown stock before housing comes out.

Still, its not the end of the world.  When stuff goes beyond cosmetic and starts affecting game play, thats when there are issues.
    My inner conspiracy theorist thinks this is exactly why crown crates and some exclusive mount items are timed this way. Housing will be coming soon and there will be lots of crown sink opportunities to go with. On the other hand, they do have new mount, pet, and cosmetic skins every couple of months so maybe I'm just seeing what I want to with the conspiracy theory.

I don't mind that, but I'm saving my crowns right now. There isn't anything I absolutely need right now and I'm subbed. I would like the two assistants but not right now and not at 5k a pop a piece.

One cool thing about the game though is that even the expensive unlocks are account wide. I like that a lot.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Here I'd agree.  Put it on a $25 for 5500 sale.  And I'd bite.  But at normal price, the Elk isn't a good deal.  I almost hope mounts can be used in Housing (you know, a stable or something) but the Elk has a couple of issues (already noted above).  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,574
    The only reason I would ever consider that elk is so I could shoot it with my bow (an arrow to the knee would probably do the trick) and mount its head over the fireplace in my new home.

I just don't get, thankfully, what motivates people to buy all of these fluffy things. I think they play a different game than the one I play. I get excited about things like improving my 2 sharpened Viper daggers to legendary gold, beating Velidreth in vCOS HM and walking away with her mask in medium armor divines, getting a purple Red Mountain ring from a chest in Stonefalls, being part of a group of 8 who holds off an attack from 40+ at Alessia...

Strutting around displaying my foolish conspicuous consumption just doesn't do anything for me. Heck, the only reason I ride around on my Stripped Senche instead of my basic mount is because that was a loyalty reward for subbing back in the early days that can't be bought. I hope it annoys everyone that can't have it for any price when they see me on it.

OTOH, I do try not to laugh at your bling publicly since, after all, you're helping keep the lights on. 
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,534
    edited December 2016
    Many F2P games often times has $300 mounts or RNG-box mounts that cost hundreds of dollars on average to get (weeee Atlantica Online) that give huge stat boosts.  Not sure why a $36 one would be news-worthy.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I'm no business expert regarding MMOs but don't companies that have real money curranices have to account for account surplus of those currancies at year end via taxes? This may explain the sudden item and cost.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,376
    It's still a $25 elk.  Considering that's what you could pay right now for Far Cry Primal or MGS5, entire games... why is this being defended?  Will we simply defend all ridiculous cash shop items now based on the fact that "I currently play and like this game?"

I sure as shit don't defend EVE or CCP like that, and that's my favorite game.  If CCP steps in shit, I'm gonna point and say "CCP stepped in shit" like monoclegate.  I was on the front row sharpening my pitchfork as I played.
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Torval said:

It's 4500 Crowns.

*Snipped*
    Although there are other perks to subscribing, buying a three month sub will cost one $35 to get those 4500 crowns, which you will entirely exhaust purchasing that hideous mount. So, in essence your are correct that the elk isn't $36, it becomes a mere $35; not a big savings there.

Yes you could buy 5500 crowns for the $24.99 (plus tax) if they were on sale; however, they are presently not on sale and the discussion relates to buying that mount now at the cost of $39.99 (plus tax) for those 5500 crowns.

I'll leave it to those with better math skills to break down the cost of using 4500 crowns out of  5500 to buy the elk.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,190
    If no one buys it, the price will drop. If people do buy it, then it's obviously worth that to those players. I don't see the problem here, let alone any reason for "Elk-gate" drama. 

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I don't think it's selling as well as they thought it would.. I see people riding them pretty rarely.  I'm happy with my Snow Wolf that I bought with my subscription crowns :)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,870
    edited January 2017
    Aelious said:

I'm no business expert regarding MMOs but don't companies that have real money curranices have to account for account surplus of those currancies at year end via taxes? This may explain the sudden item and cost.

No. Unspent crowns nominally have the same status as unfulfilled subscriptions. Technically it is a liability - payment for a service not yet supplied. Zenimax may delay booking such income for profit purposes - so if anything crowns not being spent could lower the tax due - simplistically though, having received the money, they will pay tax on it. Only really an issue if a game closed down suddenly.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,870
    GwapoJosh said:
    I don't think it's selling as well as they thought it would.. I see people riding them pretty rarely.  I'm happy with my Snow Wolf that I bought with my subscription crowns :)
    Very hard to say though given the megaserver. Which also makes me wonder why they do at all but if that is what people want it gives me no problem at all.

And at the end of the day something is paying for the Housing expansion. Although to be fair that could just be from new sales.
    Grymmoire said:
    Torval said:

It's 4500 Crowns.

*Snipped*
    I'll leave it to those with better math skills to break down the cost of using 4500 crowns out of  5500 to buy the elk.
    I have 12k crowns from subscribing. The crowns don't cost $35 for the 3 month sub because the sub contains other perks for the sub price.

I am a math person. I did break it down for you. Just because a math person breaks it down for you doesn't mean you'll get it.

The mount costs x number of crowns. The value of x in real dollars is variable. It's up to each person to make the best use of their money.

I'm not advocating to buy or not buy a mount like that. I'm only pointing out that the cost is variable. There are ways to get it cheaper or at no extra cost.

H0urg1ass said:
    It's still a $25 elk.  Considering that's what you could pay right now for Far Cry Primal or MGS5, entire games... why is this being defended?  Will we simply defend all ridiculous cash shop items now based on the fact that "I currently play and like this game?"

I sure as shit don't defend EVE or CCP like that, and that's my favorite game.  If CCP steps in shit, I'm gonna point and say "CCP stepped in shit" like monoclegate.  I was on the front row sharpening my pitchfork as I played.
    There's nothing to defend. Are you really trying to objectively justify one frivolous first world entertainment purchase over another?

Why are you defending the outrageous price of Far Cry Primal when I could get an entire bundle of games on GoG DRM free. How can you or anyone else defend the ridiculous DRM prices the games you listed charge!

I hope you don't defend CCP. They're one of the biggest offenders of the entire frivolous overpriced spending scam.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,376
    edited January 2017
    Torval said:
    H0urg1ass said:

There's nothing to defend. Are you really trying to objectively justify one frivolous first world entertainment purchase over another?

Why are you defending the outrageous price of Far Cry Primal when I could get an entire bundle of games on GoG DRM free. How can you or anyone else defend the ridiculous DRM prices the games you listed charge!

I hope you don't defend CCP. They're one of the biggest offenders of the entire frivolous overpriced spending scam.
    I'm not defending anything at all.  I despise all cash shops in any form whatsoever.  The free to play movement, that so many vigorously campaigned for, has driven a wedge between the player base of those willing to spend hundreds for their experience and those who want an all-inclusive price.

I fall into the all-inclusive category.  Maybe it's because I'm old, but when I bought Diablo 1, I got all of Diablo 1 and if there was some item I needed, then all I needed to do was play until it dropped.  The trend over the past half decade to itemize our games into chunks and sell different parts to different people, and sometimes at absurdist prices is sickening to me.  If I want to have the full Total War: Warhammer experience, for instance, then I would have to pay $110 for the game today.  They wouldn't even reduce the DLC price for the winter steam sale like 100% of the other games that I had in my wish list.  That's absolutely bullshit.

I literally, in the first sentence of the second paragraph said that I don't defend CCP so that question was totally unnecessary.  I doubly hate any cash shop that's tied to a game with a subscription.  If I pay my $15 a month, then there shouldn't be a damn thing I would have to go to a cash shop to buy.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,068
    I said it once,then i said it another 50+x,an immersive game world should contain EVERYTHING within ,we should not be buying stuff from some magical place in the sky.
    What else have i been saying over and over,developers are ONLY adding in a login screen so they can run cash shops.This is why the term MMO is false,just because you have thousands,millions go through a login screen does not make it a MMO,NOBODY plays a game for the login screen,your game NEEDS to be played as a mmo not as a single player cash shop game.
    It is so pathetic at this point,i bet most of the game studios are designing their cash shop before half the game ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 429
    edited January 2017
    "Elk-Gate"? Come on. Laying on the melodrama a bit thick, aren't we?

I think, by now, we're beyond considering mounts or other optional items in a cash shop as "controversial". It's a freaking mount. It's fluff. Buy it if it's worth it to you. Don't buy it if it isn't. Simple, really.

If this were a mandatory subscription game, then I could see a bit more of an issue. Though even then, it's still aesthetic/optional, and not at all compulsory. No one's game is impacted by someone else riding around on an Elk.

But in a B2P game? No, I don't see the problem. I personally don't see the value in it, so I simply won't buy it. However, I'll be happy for those who got one for themselves.

People looking for controversy where none exists.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,489
    syriinx said:

Oh, they'll buy it. Idiots will buy it and then they will complain about being milked dry...
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,489
    Torval said:

It's 4500 Crowns.

You can get a really nice horse skin in the store for under 1k crowns so there are nice looking cheaper alternatives too.

So if you haven't saved or you spent all your crowns and you want it right now you're going to pay more because crowns aren't on sale right now. I agree it's expensive. I have a lot of crowns and I'm certainly not going to burn them on that. 

They will probably put it in the crown crates after the timed offer expires. Players said they wanted a "sure way to buy crate items" and said they would pay more for a sure thing rather than playing scratch-off with the crates. Here is the more expensive sure thing, although I would say that is a lot cheaper than trying to collect it through crates.

Also, this only shows how ULTRA EXPENSIVE the lottery crates really are. Imagine if this was a 50% of a real rng cost. A 25%? Geez, those lottery crates / packs are a gold mine.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Ikeda said:
    I would have thought a $36 DLC Elk (that really isn't a very good model) would have at least made some statement over here.

I think after beaver-gate and moose-gate we lost interest in the *-gates.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"