Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Best of 2016" left out the real star -- Nostalrius/Elysium

Just like TIME's "Person of the Year" and media's fascination with non-entities like Beyonce and pro-sports athletes, the mmorpg.com best of 2016 left out the one game that shook the entire MMO world.

Nostalrius/Elysium.

I have not had this much fun in years.  YEARS. 

Huge populations.  Excellent performance.  Great people.

The winner is clear. Nost/Elysium is the winner of "Best of 2016".

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Undoubtedly the winner of the category: "Best Illegal Pirate Server" ! :lol:
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    This smells like a fresh can of nightcrawlers if I've ever smelled one.

That's redneck for bait, for those of you who aren't from South of the Mason-Dixon Line. ;)

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    If you mean the best illegal server operated by a bunch of whiny, entitled, childish douchebags for equally entitled and whiny historical revisionists, then I wholeheartedly agree. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Never even heard of it. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Forgrimm said:
    That forum is supposed to be only for defunct games.

Discussion of this server is 100% against the rules of this website and i really wish they would ban people that talk about it.  After the fans of the server DDoSed Blizzard I hope that if Blizzard ever does release a Vanilla server they make sure that no one that ever supported Nost gets to play it.
  • Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    DMKano said:
    Umm no. Shook the entire gaming world - with an emu server? please.....
    Yeah more like the mouse that roared. However if Blizzard decides to get into a legal pissing match over this particular server it could get very loud and very ugly.
    Russia is not in the EU Mr. Smarty
    If you mean the best illegal server operated by a bunch of whiny, entitled, childish douchebags for equally entitled and whiny historical revisionists, then I wholeheartedly agree. 
    Maybe if you did a couple cooking dailies you would feel better.....
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The new servers are already being DDOs'd so~
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'd vote them for "best temper tantrum when not getting your way" in 2016.  My 8 year old niece is their competition so not sure if they'll win it.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I suppose if you want to illegally have private servers Russia is the ticket. More people will do this openly as this server will get more publicity and it probably will give rise to even more servers and they might even offer some with subs because it's in Russia and Blizzard cannot do anything. Why not make money while you're at it.

kitarad said:
    I suppose if you want to illegally have private servers Russia is the ticket. More people will do this openly as this server will get more publicity and it probably will give rise to even more servers and they might even offer some with subs because it's in Russia and Blizzard cannot do anything. Why not make money while you're at it.
    Legion is crap.  Everyone knows it.  You know it. I know it.  Nost/Elysium lit up the MMO world. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    kitarad said:
    Vanilla was crap.  Everyone knows it.  You know it. I know it.  Nost/Elysium will be shut down in due time. 
    Agreed.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Just like TIME's "Person of the Year" and media's fascination with non-entities like Beyonce and pro-sports athletes, the mmorpg.com best of 2016 left out the one game that shook the entire MMO world.

Nostalrius/Elysium.

I have not had this much fun in years.  YEARS. 

Huge populations.  Excellent performance.  Great people.

The winner is clear. Nost/Elysium is the winner of "Best of 2016".

It's not a game. It is a server. A privately operated public server running an older version of someone else's game.

I get why the server is great, but that isn't the point of this thread. It isn't a game. Make a "best MMO server" category and you have yourself a winner.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I will be happy when these servers get shut down, its borderline stealing.
    edited December 2016
    I suppose crowing about how you're stiffing Blizzard and telling them off for not listening and giving you all a vanilla server  must be doing wonders for you but I would not equate that experience to lighting up the MMO world.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Wow I'm surprised at how many people are hating hard on this. Sure, lit up the MMO world is a stretch, but I must say for my first time playing on a private server and seeing what all the fuss was about in regards to the Nostalrius server, I am having an absolute blast. The sad part is that I am having more fun on this server than any sub game including FFXIV or Legion can provide. 

Wow, really?! Resorting to name calling, who's the one being childish here?

Recore said:
    Never even heard of it. 
    I would seriously check it out. If you played back in vanilla it will be a nice nostalgic return. I found the community to be great and extremely helpful, which is rare these days. The fact that leveling actually is slow is a nice change of pace IMO from all the MMOs that let you fly up levels to max in about 2 weeks tops. 

I also finally found myself needing to use health pots and stop to drink after a few mobs to regain health and mana. That sort of challenge is hard pressed to be found in other games. 

By no means am I a Vanilla over everything else type of person, but the fact still remains that I have had more incentive to log into this private server than FFXIV, WoW: Legion, and ESO. 

So, I personally recommend it and for a FTP game why wouldn't you try it out? No cost to you and if you don't like it then just delete it. Lowest barrier to entry that I can think of these days. 
    kitarad said:
    I suppose crowing about how you're stiffing Blizzard and telling them off for not listening and giving you all a vanilla server  must be doing wonders for you but I would not equate that experience to lighting up the MMO world.
    It's almost as if they think they are entitled to a Vanilla server. I said it earlier, its borderline stealing and people are cheering.

Lets one of these brats own a IP and have people try to infringe on it.
    This has more ramifications than you can imagine. It's a pity Blizzard cannot do anything because other smaller companies are also going to be cheated by unscrupulous players who can set up these private servers and even worse than Blizzard they will have no recourse either. Pity honestly that people are only interested in their own selfish needs. 

Perhaps the greater exposure being a much publicized occurrence can actually lead to some punishment but we won't be holding our breath for that.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Drecapz said:
    kitarad said:
    It's almost as if they think they are entitled to a Vanilla server. I said it earlier, its borderline stealing and people are cheering.

Ehhh, I think Blizzard will be just fine. They have Overwatch to line their pockets, so don't worry their "Sword of Entitlement" will hardly make a dent in Blizzards cash mongering armor.
    Rukushin said:
    Drecapz said:
    kitarad said:

Ehhh, I think Blizzard will be just fine. They have Overwatch to line their pockets, so don't worry their "Sword of Entitlement" will hardly make a dent in Blizzards cash mongering armor.
    Its the principle though. How would you feel if you fleshed out a world, created a game and progressed it through years, but some time down the road some people use the IP that you've created. It's cool that people are enjoying it but I do what want a say in my creations or products that I own.

Then somebody comes along and has the nerve to say "Dont worry about it, you have other ventures to sustain you"

The real joy of the server is talking to people and interacting with the WORLD.  
    Rukushin said:
    I also finally found myself needing to use health pots and stop to drink after a few mobs to regain health and mana. That sort of challenge is hard pressed to be found in other games. 

What? You... uhh, you play MMOs, right? Like, more than 1?

This is how non-mobile-and-hardcore-grind-focused MMOs, as in pretty much all real PC MMOs, are designed. You fight one or three mobs, stop to heal, fight 1 or 3 mobs, stop to heal, fight 4 or 5 mobs and almost die, stop to heal. I don't think this is groundbreaking, new, or not-seen in most MMOs.

If it is on PC, this is a standard. A staple of PC MMOs.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

Rukushin said:

What? You... uhh, you play MMOs, right? Like, more than 1?

This is how non-mobile-and-hardcore-grind-focused MMOs, as in pretty much all real PC MMOs, are designed. You fight one or three mobs, stop to heal, fight 1 or 3 mobs, stop to heal, fight 4 or 5 mobs and almost die, stop to heal. I don't think this is groundbreaking, new, or not-seen in most MMOs.

If it is on PC, this is a standard. A staple of PC MMOs.

I agree. Many PC gamers after killing three or four mobs take a break, have a Twinkie, kill some more mobs, have a doughnut, wash that down with a can of full fat coke, kill some more mobs, scarf down a bag of Cheetos, more mobs, slice of cold pizza, more coke, more mobs, diabetic coma, more mobs, more junk food, etc .... :p
    I can't stop laughing!

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

Deekins said:
    The only category this would win in is if they had a "Loudest Whiniest Little Bitches" category. Seriously, there is nothing special about this server, other than the fact it is illegal and should be shut down. Which I'm sure Blizzard will get around to. 

Bunch of whiny little bitches, because Blizzard didn't do what they wanted, when they wanted it. Self-entitlement at its finest right there.

The only one whining is you by making a post like this. I am happy--you are the sad little clown...
This discussion has been closed.