Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The varables can make your head spin with this game.

I'm already to take the plunge.  But every thing about this game is extremely evasive in getting answers.
Youtubes and web sites are out dated. The main site is poor because of the variables, because of the push on the cash shop.  Asking questions from the veterans it almost impossible because everyone got to where they are using different methods.

- Totally free
- VIP paid subscription
- Cash shop, and LOTRO store
- Expansion's and class lock outs

This all complicates things that will make your head spin.

I see what your saying about the Ruin Keeper Po_gg.  They can make good healers, but it would be nice if you could dual spec for solo vs. group. Like Fire and heal so you don't gimp your self spreading points.  I'm asking questions about dual spec in game, just getting more confused.

Mounts-  Should you pay $15 VIP if only interested in getting a mount for low levels. Should you buy it with Turbine points?  but you get Turbine points if you sub.  But if you sub you don't need the points.   Do you get a mount at level 8 or 20 ?

Simple questions like this is discouraging.  Sure I have the money to say screw it, give in, and have it all.  But there are principles here, maybe take a collage class on how to play LOTRO ?......I've been at this for days. I have the time, I'm on vacation, I have the money.  But still I'm getting mad and will not give them a dime out of principle......A lot of twisted around crap !

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Just had a good long talk with someone in game, got my answer.  I can spec in two trees.  So I'll be able to dps or heal.  I'll buy the quad pack now for $10....VIP at level 20, I guess that's when you can do a quest line to get your mount.....I think, it's hard to pin down for sure
    I'm loving LOTRO for the game itself,

Programmers and script writers did an excellent job making the games.  It has its quarks that should have been fixed like jumbled nametags over NPS heads and the map system is still like in bata.  Toggling between the game and the map is constant in trying to figure out what to do.  This, you eventually get used to and it's not sooo bad.

I got my Ruin Keeper class, but you have to make wise decisions to not get ripped off.  Like wait for a known sale that happens often to buy a 4 pack expansion called the quad pack.  You have to preemptively know stuff like this.

In other words you have to really study.....You cant just blindly have fun !

Now you would think just VIP ( pay the sub ) and all goes away.  No you have to be smart about this too !  There are times when its wise to VIP and other times it's best to drop the sub.

Here, you can read this to get an idea of what I'm talking about.  A beginner to the game would have a hard time understanding the reply's..

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?527486-How-much-do-I-need-to-pay-to-unlock-all-contents-of-the-game
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, missed the thread on Friday (was in the TSW stream) and yesterday too...
    Yeah, I agree it can be difficult, but actually on the long run it is a good thing :wink:  that's why the model is so great, because it is not simplified, so you can hone it to your own needs, whether it is money, or convenience.

Glad to hear you get the answers in-game, people are really helpful :wink:
    For mounts, you can get mounts any time, for free, for in-game gold, for real cash, etc. since the trick is not owning a mount, but riding it :lol:   and yes, riding skill is free for VIPs, and a purchase for free players accessible as low as level 5 (but it's a kinda cheap purchase and often on sale).
    Sometimes VIPs buy them too, either as an individual purchase or getting the skill through an account-wide riding trait pack, simply for able to ride their steeds from level 5 (instead of waiting until level 20).

But the quest is a nice one, so if you're already at around 20 and are a VIP, play it (you have to finish the race track around Hengstacer farm to prove you are skilled enough for a steed). And again, it's not for a mount, it is for the riding skill. You still need to get a mount, but the basic ones are cheap (500 silver I think), and also there's the Frostbluff festival now, with nice festival steeds in return of a couple tokens.
    There are times when its wise to VIP and other times it's best to drop the sub.
    Yep, a couple years ago in a thread here I too argued on the side of "sub is pointless, just play it for free" :wink:  I'm sure that (*) was one of the reasons they stopped to put out expansions and turned into releasing quest packs, almost nobody played for long as a subscriber, since the f2p model is so flexible and allowing.

Currently the subscription is a bit better, due to all the quest packs released after HD, now it mostly depends on how actively you play in the upper region (around level 100), if not all the time, then it's cheaper to just sub for those couple months, instead of purchasing all the quest packs at the end region. (since for VIPs all the quest packs are available)

(*) not my arguing of course, but the fact that most players play free or with occasional subs and Point purchases :lol:
    Good write up Po_

Don't get me wrong with some of my " blunt topics "......I really love the game, and the community !

Just calling it like I see it.  At times I'm wrong, I'll say that for sure...But how one goes about the pay model is EXTREMELY complicated.

I have the money but sometimes it's about principle, I'll walk a mile not to get screwed out of a dime.

Like I say, I love the game :)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Just calling it like I see it.  At times I'm wrong, I'll say that for sure...But how one goes about the pay model is EXTREMELY complicated.
    No discussion there, it really is... there were articles and even step-by-step guides on it, about how to get the most out of the system, in sight of different goals (most cheap, most convenient, etc.). No wonder so few players sticked to the sub, even if convenient :lol:
    (heck, the thread I mentioned above was started on this very argument, one said "I sub because I don't mind the $15 and support the game" and I said with only a bit more thought and planning, you can give them the same $15 per month, and getting much more out of it in return :wink: )

Your case for example, the Quad-pack was a great deal so that's in the bag already. Have the sub, that gives +1 character slot above the +2 you got with the Quad. That means 5 characters without any restrictions (only content restrictions remains for characters which were played / created during your VIP time).
    So, if you let your VIP expire, you will lose only the quest packs beyond Helm's Deep (and you don't have to worry about that in the near future) and the quests between level 30 and level 50 :wink:
    You buy two quest packs in that level range (for example Evendim and Angmar), then you can level 5 characters to at least 85-90 without spending a dime... and without restrictions. That's a lot of gameplay, for $10 + what you spent for the VIP. (not to mention you will get quite a sum of LPs if you like to finish deeds, and you can expand your list of quest packs)
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I like to read up on games that I'm about to start playing so I downloaded LOTRO, then I picked a class and then I went to read about it.  What I discovered is that the vast majority of the information online pertaining to the classes that I wanted to play was horribly out of date.  Not only that, but I couldn't find anyone who could help me with the information and sort through what was still relevant or not.

Most of the third party sites hadn't been maintained in years, several mods that I tried to install either broke the game or flat out didn't work.

Eventually I got tired of spending more time researching through mountains of useless data and not playing, and I uninstalled.  It wasn't worth the effort.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm a lifer who has been playing LOTRO since 2008. Love running around in Middle Earth and taking part in the story. I find the best parts of the game are in Shadows of Angmar.  The further you advance in the game the more grindy it feels.  Just wait until you reach the essence grind and flower picking. Still can't stay away.  For a Tolkien fan running around in Middle Earth is amazing. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    flizzer said:
    I'm a lifer who has been playing LOTRO since 2008. Love running around in Middle Earth and taking part in the story. I find the best parts of the game are in Shadows of Angmar.  The further you advance in the game the more grindy it feels.  Just wait until you reach the essence grind and flower picking. Still can't stay away.  For a Tolkien fan running around in Middle Earth is amazing. 
    Agreed!

I dont play this currently but I have a few years in it.  I loved putting the kids to bed and then slipping one of the movie DVD's in and watching it on TV out of the corner of my eye when I played.  Good times... 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Very powerful words HOurg1ass,

This game is the bees knees, it really is a fantastic game.....Yet sooo weakened and diluted with the entire cash system, I CAN GUARANTEE THE LOSS OF SO MANY discouraged players.

With such a bad market with F2P issues in mmos, LOTRO will never be anything other than keeping there head above water.  

This game could be an absolute gem if they could just drop this complicated crap, re-advertise as sub only.  So many people cycled in and out, yet most stop for this reason !
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    H0urg1ass said:
    I like to read up on games that I'm about to start playing so I downloaded LOTRO, then I picked a class and then I went to read about it.  What I discovered is that the vast majority of the information online pertaining to the classes that I wanted to play was horribly out of date.  Not only that, but I couldn't find anyone who could help me with the information and sort through what was still relevant or not.

Most of the third party sites hadn't been maintained in years, several mods that I tried to install either broke the game or flat out didn't work.

Eventually I got tired of spending more time researching through mountains of useless data and not playing, and I uninstalled.  It wasn't worth the effort.
    There are indeed out of date sites.
    There are ones that are current though. A good starting point is probably: https://www.lotro-wiki.com/

Some of the stuff is pretty in-depth though. If in doubt ask in the forum.