Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - Weathering the Storm - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Azrael_AntaryonAzrael_Antaryon Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Well, even if they deliver cheese I'd be happy, because it would be a much better cheese then all the other MMOs out there...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,975
    Well, even if they deliver cheese I'd be happy, because it would be a much better cheese then all the other MMOs out there...
    I don't know about that.  Project:Gorgon has a whole CheeseMonger skill line...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292
    Cheesemonger; A Life on the Wedge!
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 94

"As speedy as things are looking I’m still skeptical of getting in the MUD, the pre-game and the game all with thorough testing by the December 2017."

And don't forget the no-wipe head start is 3 month BEFORE that. So lets assume rationally that this won't happen. What does that do to the budget where they have admitted they need millions more to get a complete game?

Time = money. Underestimate your time and you have underestimated your money. What happens when an MMO developer runs out of money?

Also, don't forget that all the money from the biggest fans has ALREADY been collected from the Kickstarter and store. People have multiple year's worth of gametime pre-paid. This to me is the Achilles heal of all the Kickstarter MMOs... they get all the revenue up front but it has to last not just to launch, but to well beyond.

Just don't forget that indie companies might as well develop a game until a certain point and then sell it to a big one for further development.
    For us it's a win-win situation as long as the new owners keep the original idea.
    "We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing"

Benjamin Franklin
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 859

Instead, we literally have folks pictured on the Kickstarter who reference projects like THIS on their LinkedIn profile:  https://games.digipen.edu/games/f4rm#.WEwZ5bIrKJA  

So while everyone has to start somewhere, no... they don't get to put themselves on the level of established folks until they actually deliver something more than promises and screenshots.

Sure, we hired an engineer who graduated from DigiPen... so did Valve - so does almost every other game company in the Seattle area. But that's not the point. The point is some of the people here on MMORPG attempt to use things like the fact that we have a recent graduate on the team to demonstrate we're somehow unfit to make this game. And, you do so while selectively choosing to ignore stuff on the same page like all of our previous game studios. Previous game studios which now includes:

Microsoft Game Studios, FASA Studio, Liquid Entertainment, Snowblind Studios, Monolith, Her interactive, Sony Online Entertainment, Pandemic Studios, Bungie, The Amazing Society, Amazon Game Studios, EA, and probably a few more if I thought really hard about it.

So in addition to the neat little DigiPen game you linked, here's a list of some of the other credits from the people on our team...

* Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
    * Star Wars Battlefront
    * Mercenaries
    * Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
    * The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
    * Halo
    * Halo 2
    * Ryse: Son of Rome
    * Mechwarrior 4
    * F.3.A.R
    * Marvel Super Hero Squad Online
    * The Unmaking

And by the by, the engineer you linked from DigiPen has more passion for game development and dedication to his team than virtually any engineer I've worked with over the last 15 years. So while all you see is someone proud of their college projects, I see someone with more talent and commitment to making CoE great than virtually any other engineer we could have hired.  

Funny that as a developer you would argue with a potential customer. You are setting yourself up for failure and if you're to arrogant to see it that will be your downfall. Learn to take some criticism and grow some thicker skin. If you were as experienced in this genre as you claim you wouldn't be acting like such a toddler.

The only other Dev. I've seen come here and act like this was Jason Appleton and I'm sure you'd love to have your company associated with that man. 

Good luck with your game.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,005
    Whatever happened to the guy that used to post hundreds of posts for this game? I think he claimed that he worked for CoE
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,713
    Whatever happened to the guy that used to post hundreds of posts for this game? I think he claimed that he worked for CoE
    No he said he was just a fan of this project.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,794
    Which part of "we have no AAA games to our credit but we're going to do one cheaper, with fewer people and in record setting time" are people missing when they think that this will get done as described on time?

How could anyone in their right mind criticize the skeptics for being skeptical and try to characterize them as protesters standing outside a bakery blocking access?

What defies belief is that anyone can have faith that this small group can do what no one else in the industry - those who have actually seen previous project to completion - has ever done and release a AAA version of their pie-in-the-sky in 1 year.

You know what's wrong with KS in general? The funders' amazing capacity for suspension of disbelief and not showing even the minimal amount of common sense that would allow them to cross a street safely.

Now I'll just move along and stop blocking access to Jeremy's Magic Unicorn Bakery?

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED