Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Capacity Versus Similar Titles

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
So there has been a little back and forth about what the servers will support. Originally it was 1000 players and then it dropped to 500 and finally this last check they said between 70-500 (intentionally vague). 

So lets say this game lands on the low end of that spectrum. In the 70-120 region. That puts it on parity with things like Ark, Rust and another future contender Conan Exiles.

If it does drop to those numbers, will it be removed from MMORPG or will the other titles simply be added here as well. With the lines of what an MMO is being blurred further.

Food for thought. 

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    It's starting to sound like they took the original game and made it prettier. And that's all they did.  The original couldn't handle any significant numbers either.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,408
    edited December 2016
    Dunno if maybe you wernt aware but the site now covers more than just "mmos".

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think every game with semi RPG mechanics (well, progression) and more then 6 players is considered a MMO today.

If Biowares Neverwinter nights would release today it would have been marketed as a MMO.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    edited December 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    Dunno if maybe you wernt aware but the site now covers more than just "mmos".
    Fully aware and one of the reasons I spend a more time on a competitors MMO specific site. That and it has less ads on it. 

Putting that aside. The fact remains that this title was promoted and labeled on Steam as an MMO. They originally touted 1000 players. So the question remains. Where do we (community/users/gamers) draw the line. At what point do we say, this isn't "really" an MMO. What do we consider to be "Massive" when it comes to population.

If they can not provide reasonable stability for several hundred players, then this large world they are crafting is going to be pretty empty and lonely. This is the one thing I am most afraid of with this title.