Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge - Bill Murphy - Why Skyforge is Now a Great Casual MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSkyforge - Bill Murphy - Why Skyforge is Now a Great Casual MMO - MMORPG.com

I’ve been dabbling in Skyforge lately, due to the overwhelming amount of changes we’ve seen made to the game in recent months. Curiosity got the best me, and I’m glad I made the return. While the recent overhaul to the campaign and removal of the Atlas have made waves of positive and negative in the community, the Skyforge I find today is a game that’s altogether more palatable and less confusing than before.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The amount of work you had to do for such small returns was not worth it to me. All that work to reach God status that would only last for short periods of time didn't make sense. Game play spent mostly watching timers... The combat itself was addictive and fun for the most part, so I'll have to come back and check the game out again.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Well hot damn. I dug it a bit when it came out, but I can't remember why I dropped it. Definitely need to check out the changes. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I remember buying, chapels or something

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    I really enjoyed the game and the dungeons are/where quite hard the higher you go, but then they had to fuck up the slayer class. The only class I really enjoyed playing....

The game then revolved around using specific classes for endgame pve maps, and I couldn't stomach using the other classes. I tried hard, way too hard to like berserker and/or kinetic, but alas I gave up.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    The general impression i get is that most of the original crowd has left cause they do not like most of the endgame changes.

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Thanky you @billmurphy for the article. I enjoyed my time with Skyforge but I quit because of their monetization model. How is Skyforge handling monetization now?
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    That's just wrong. The progression a lot more limiting than it used to be as it all depends on daily quests - one quest per day and that is it as far as progression goes. You also have hidden limits on both credits and knowledge of enemies. To make things worse the weekly limits do not stack as they used to - they just reset every week, and the daily quests(which are the main form of meaningful progression in the game) stack only up to 7 meaning that if you are away for more than a week you are behind forever.

To add insult to injury - you can no longer customize your classes - no more skill and talent choices -you are always tuck with two presets of skills that cannot be changed - one for PvE and one for PvP. About a third of the skills that we used to have in the game are gone and some of the skills that differ between PvP and PvE are completely wrong for the content type they are locked to.

I will not even touch the idea of "end game" they have even with a ten foot poll. It is enough to say that people that have spend thousands on the game and have played heavily are falling out of the "end game" because they are not powerful enough to compete - you have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to be there.

About the combat changes - there are none. The skills work exactly as they used to before the atrocious Ascension patch and the promised ability to dodge every attack is a blatant lie. Oh, you are given a huge amount of time to dodge the attacks that can be dodged to the point that they present no challenge at all but there a lot of attacks that cannot be dodged at all. As a result the battles are just a long and boring gear check instead of the action they were promised as. And I do mean long - the combat is slower than before but it is less challenging because the health pools are enormous in comparison to how they used to be. As a result you can see the outcome of a battle from a mile away but you can do nothing to change it as it is, as I said before, a gear check.

And that is the sad state of Skyforge at the moment - a shell of a decent, if not great game that it once was. Was it more complex - sure. But it used to be fun and challenging and, believe it or not, a lot less grindy and pay-to-win than it is now.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

elveone said:

That's just wrong. The progression a lot more limiting than it used to be as it all depends on daily quests - one quest per day and that is it as far as progression goes. You also have hidden limits on both credits and knowledge of enemies. To make things worse the weekly limits do not stack as they used to - they just reset every week, and the daily quests(which are the main form of meaningful progression in the game) stack only up to 7 meaning that if you are away for more than a week you are behind forever.

To add insult to injury - you can no longer customize your classes - no more skill and talent choices -you are always tuck with two presets of skills that cannot be changed - one for PvE and one for PvP. About a third of the skills that we used to have in the game are gone and some of the skills that differ between PvP and PvE are completely wrong for the content type they are locked to.

I will not even touch the idea of "end game" they have even with a ten foot poll. It is enough to say that people that have spend thousands on the game and have played heavily are falling out of the "end game" because they are not powerful enough to compete - you have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to be there.

About the combat changes - there are none. The skills work exactly as they used to before the atrocious Ascension patch and the promised ability to dodge every attack is a blatant lie. Oh, you are given a huge amount of time to dodge the attacks that can be dodged to the point that they present no challenge at all but there a lot of attacks that cannot be dodged at all. As a result the battles are just a long and boring gear check instead of the action they were promised as. And I do mean long - the combat is slower than before but it is less challenging because the health pools are enormous in comparison to how they used to be. As a result you can see the outcome of a battle from a mile away but you can do nothing to change it as it is, as I said before, a gear check.

And that is the sad state of Skyforge at the moment - a shell of a decent, if not great game that it once was. Was it more complex - sure. But it used to be fun and challenging and, believe it or not, a lot less grindy and pay-to-win than it is now.

Thanks! I'm not that far yet. I'll see if my experiences mesh with yours in coming weeks.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Thanky you @billmurphy for the article. I enjoyed my time with Skyforge but I quit because of their monetization model. How is Skyforge handling monetization now?

Seems mostly cosmetic and the extra progression speed for "subscribers".

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2016
    still pissed that they basically completely changed (and yes, nerfed) my kinetic.
    hammer only for pvp now?

seriously, balancing is no mystic thing....

so, no:

"About the combat changes - there are none. The skills work exactly as they used to before"

they do NOT. otherwise, show me how you use sledge hammer
    (and yes, this might be "only" one skill, but if you know skyforge and the kinetic, you should understand WHY this is such a major thing)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    The game is Pay 2 Enjoy not Pay 2 Win, so if you don't care about cosmetics, only about a subscription then the game is okay.
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Skyforge had one of my favorite combat systems. I left this game because of technical issues. For some reason My.com knocks my PC out of sleep mode and I use that a lot. I really wish they'd put it on Steam.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited December 2016
    Did they ever redo the UI? That was my main reason why i stopped playing. It felt like a console game when the UI, for every panel, took up the whole screen. It also felt too instanced for my tastes, and it actually reminded me of GW1's hubs.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I really enjoyed the time I spent in the game, it just got too grindy too fast.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

elveone said:

Thanks! I'm not that far yet. I'll see if my experiences mesh with yours in coming weeks.

F2P typical business model: Rope them in by making the early levels easy, and don't make them feel the restrictions that you need to pay to bypass until they're already deeply invested.

This is a good example of the first part of that model at work, it seems.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2016
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    F2P typical business model: Rope them in by making the early levels easy, and don't make them feel the restrictions that you need to pay to bypass until they're already deeply invested.

This is a good example of the first part of that model at work, it seems.
    P2P typical business model: rope them in with a "free" month if they pay the $50 entry fee, make early leveling easy and the character feel powerful, then hit them with the grind about 3/4 of the way to level cap and milk them monthly, plus the cash shop, plus the xpac fees.

P2P now is just F2P with a minimum monthly amount you must spend on the game.
    There's like..... two P2P games out now anyways.  I don't see much point in caring about such a minority business model.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Anyone ever have the My.com game center hangup and screw your system over?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Decided to give this game another go since not playing since beta.

So far I am really enjoying it.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Currently Skyforge has one of the most stupid progression systems which is nowhere near quality of its graphic assets and animations. It's funny to see how people are happy with yet another *temporary* progression which will be restarted ~9 months later when development will come to 1.0 version (0.87 atm).

Thank you for your time!

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    It was a classic simplifying patch, because apparently people are to stupid to understand customization. If someone can't choose how to play a class, removing all but one way to play the class is NOT a valid solution. I loved the old Skyforge, this is junk.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Thane said:

still pissed that they basically completely changed (and yes, nerfed) my kinetic.

hammer only for pvp now?

seriously, balancing is no mystic thing....

so, no:

"About the combat changes - there are none. The skills work exactly as they used to before"

they do NOT. otherwise, show me how you use sledge hammer

(and yes, this might be "only" one skill, but if you know skyforge and the kinetic, you should understand WHY this is such a major thing)

Honestly, with the moronicly high time PvP queues at the time I quit the game I had not experienced the PvP only sledgehammer and do not know how it differs from the one before ascension. If you are refering to it being PvP only - I think I had addressed this issue in my post with the skills being locked to completely differently inappropriate content. There are a perhaps a couple of skills that have changed a little with ascension but for the most part there were no new skills being introduces with the patch and the existing skills worked the same as before - what you cast on the move you still cast on the move and what required animation lock skill requires animation lock and what stunned, still stuns and so on, and as I said before - skills were removed, sometimes removing a complete playstyle from the game. This, howerever, did not change the mechanics of the combat including how skills work.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    Jamar870 said:
    Anyone ever have the My.com game center hangup and screw your system over?
    Their launcher/downloader uses peer to peer file sharing.  In the settings uncheck Start automatically w/Windows. Download & upload bandwidth/speed is displayed in bytes instead of bits.  Limit the download & upload speeds to no more than 1/8 of your bandwidth which is given in bits.  Make sure you Limit the maximum number of connections. Their default number on connections is an absurd 200 connections.  Significantly reduce that number.

I've got a 3 megabit ADSL connection. I limited the download to 200 KB or 1.6mb, the upload to 50 KB and the number of connections to 32. I could increase those speeds and possibly the connections but I want to do other stuff online while it downloads.

Also uncheck continue distributing when download completes. Do this expecially if your ISP has placed a monthly bandwidth cap on your connection. And closing the launcher windows does not shut it down.  You'll have to go the the task bar notification area and shut it down manually.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Renoaku said:

The game is Pay 2 Enjoy not Pay 2 Win, so if you don't care about cosmetics, only about a subscription then the game is okay.

Let's wait for the game to at least launch before we decide whether it's pay to win. Lots of games aren't pay to win while in beta, then ramp it up at or shortly after launch.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2016
    i tried to play when they released ascension , and lasted 2 days , leveled all the classes to max in no time at all , u now unlock all the skills in 15 min (hint : kill eggs on the island open zone) , bought the new class with points i had , and is a bit OP, aoe is 1 button while moving , boss die slow as !$!$ , they have tons of HP for no reason ....bullet sponges , since only a few have interesting mechanics.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Can I play the 'Heavy Gunner' type class from the start now? There were elements I liked about SF, but I'm not going to grind to get to the fun. I'll certainly revisit it though if I can play it in a way that would entertain me from the start and class selection is pivotal to that.