Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Homestead - Why It's Good News for Everyone - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Torval said:
    Robsolf said:
    Housing wouldn't be on the top of my priority list. But I'm having a hard time being upset about it, whilst I pay $0(plus interest) per month to play it.

That said, if it were my one and only game, I would also probably get tired of release after release being thin or devoid of traditional content.

So... the choice... good or bad... I choose not to choose.
    They have had a pretty decent pace with traditional DLC content releases. It's not like they're going a year or so between content updates like WoW and many other mmos.
    A valid concern though but as @Torval says they have done a good job so far (since last summer) of pushing out new content. Even One Tamriel - the previous free patch/DLC that is talked about primarily as a systems patch had a whole new set of quests in Craglorn. Maybe housing patch will surprise people ...
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Soki123 said:
    Just let me buy and sell from them, then I ll be happy
    Is there any news about that? Because I somehow doubt they will let go of their current crappy shop system.

I am just afraid that housing ends up being a gimmick like in several other MMO's. Mostly interesting for people who like to decorate, but beyond that, not having practical use.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I will literaly sub again to the game the day this DLC releases.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Soki123 said:
    Just let me buy and sell from them, then I ll be happy
    Is there any news about that? Because I somehow doubt they will let go of their current crappy shop system.

I am just afraid that housing ends up being a gimmick like in several other MMO's. Mostly interesting for people who like to decorate, but beyond that, not having practical use.

No. Nothing about that.

I too like housing when it has more function to it... storage, vendors, etc. But I seem to be in the minority. The majority of those who care about housing are into the decorating more than anything else.

It's fine though. Not everything in the world hast to cater to me... misguided though that might be :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• the_Wockythe_Wocky Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2016
    Personally, I'm quite excited for it. I think people fear it'll become like RIFT where the entire focus of the game appears to be to drive sales of pretty items to wear, dimension (player housing) pieces and to rush them to the cash shop and somehow seem to think these items should be considered as "content"

I am quite impressed with how ethically ESO has handled their lock-box thing. Very fair, imo - you get a chance at currency with each roll/open to buy things (eventually) if your luck is bad.

★ Twitter @WockyCC ★ YouTube the Wocky ★ BLOG wockster.com ★
  • JoeDanJoeDan Member UncommonPosts: 11

DAS1337 said:

Warzod said:

This is because some players refuse to understand that not everyone plays for the same reasons they do. Content must be provided for those who are not here to grind out every zone and do every quest. Some love the housing, crafting, or costumes. That's why it is so incorrect to say that costumes in a cash shop are not pay to win. For a player that is only interested in collecting outfits putting them behind an additional paywall is pay to win for them. Good developers will always take time to develop content for all playstyles and players just need to remember they are not the only one playing the game.

I understand what you're trying to say.. but I don't believe you really comprehend what pay to win actually is. Someone who likes clothing, and spends hundreds of dollars on it, has no advantage over anyone else. They don't have stats.

Exactly... pay to win, would mean if you were paying for experience, paying real money for gear with stats that take a non-paying player a long time to get, etc... me buying furniture, costumes, or even mounts, does nothing to affect anyone else. While I do anxiously look forward to new zones, I think ESO is a tremendous game and I love it.

I can kinda see how releasing an update with two dungeons, an update like One Tamriel, and Homestead is a little underwhelming, only because 3 non-zone updates came after 4 much more substantial add-ons in a row. I think maybe they should alternate more, so people don't know what to expect. For me, I love the game, but haven't been too motivated to play since around the time of the Shadows of the Hist update. But I know a lot of people LOVE housing in MMO's so I understand it. Just very anxious for a new zone to explore as someone who loves Elder Scrolls lore and that the Elder Scrolls franchise is my addiction in life :)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    goemoe said:
    "I’m surprised to see how many people are upset that Homestead will be the next DLC for The Elder Scrolls Online."

Dear Ryan Getchell,

Homestaed, like One Tamriel, is/will be no DLC. It is a free for all update to the game. Unlike an DLC (= down load content), you won't have to unlock it by paying for it.

Homestaed is a present for all players. Use it or ignore it. No reason to argue.
    Yes but if you think they won't use this new feature to sell shit tons of items for it in the coin shop you must be mad. Now I'm not saying that in itself is a bad thing, but in every MMO so far that's gone this route you can kiss meaningful content outside of the cash shop goodbye.
    Most "meaningful" content additions have already been sold through the cash shop or come with ESO+. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited December 2016

goemoe said:

"I’m surprised to see how many people are upset that Homestead will be the next DLC for The Elder Scrolls Online."

Dear Ryan Getchell,

Homestaed, like One Tamriel, is/will be no DLC. It is a free for all update to the game. Unlike an DLC (= down load content), you won't have to unlock it by paying for it.

Homestaed is a present for all players. Use it or ignore it. No reason to argue.

Yes but if you think they won't use this new feature to sell shit tons of items for it in the coin shop you must be mad. Now I'm not saying that in itself is a bad thing, but in every MMO so far that's gone this route you can kiss meaningful content outside of the cash shop goodbye.

Housing done right (in terms of things to do with it) won't have this problem. Nearly every system in a game can be revitalized and updated with this feature. New furniture / trophies for raids, fishing, dungeons, gathering, crafting (all crafts), etc. New materials to gather and acquire through the above for crafting and the like. Implementation of new systems, or bringing new life to old, etc. Potentially new crafts (tinkering / carpentry). As well as fixing the economy, adding new gold sinks, giving guilds something to do (if they can also serve as guild halls, and new features are made for guilds to invest in; perhaps buying entire mansions or castles and filling it up with the most expensive items in game as well as perhaps unique features and more guild space / player inventory). And more can be added as time goes on. Even if one doesn't partake in it, they can still make some gold selling to those who do by acquiring rare resources or running old content they thought they'd never go back to to sell or help friends get what they want. Developers just have to know how to do it, and players of all types have to see the opportunity to make bank or acquire rare things as a whole.

Housing done wrong is just a static area where you go to -- akin to Garrisons or Order Halls -- that you can't edit, has no meaningful impact on the world around them (no involvement of other systems) and no way to make the place feel like it belongs to your character, thus you have no attachment to it and want out. Worst of all if you feel trapped in it, since it has facebook quests to give you gold (not to mention having little attachment, as you didn't really do anything to be proud of save spend 5k gold for tier 3). But I digress, it is also wrong when the only meaningful use you get out of it is only selling things on a shop. If this is the case, I'd be upset with the system as a whole. We'll just have to see if they had the foresight to really refresh all the other content in such a way that it's all optional but incredibly lucrative for even players that don't want a house. Regardless, nearly every modern MMO has housing nowadays, or is implementing it. If done superbly, it really helps you stay attached to your character or the game as a whole. If done as a cash grab, there are other features that could've been worked on instead, as far as the player's eyes are concerned.

In games that use it in such a way as selling character cosmetics, I can see wisdom in disliking the system as a whole. This may be true with most F2P games, as well. Though games that have subscriptions -- or intended to -- don't typically have this. A game that does it right after the fact is FFXIV -- even though I absolutely hate their distribution methods of houses and the artificial limited quantity of such. Baring that incompetent choice, every patch and .5 patch has new housing, new character items, new recipees for every craft, new updates to systems, new items to drop in dungeons / raids, new items for their mini games (Gold saucer, Triple Triad, PotD, Chocobo Racing, Minion battles, etc.), new items for gathering, treasure hunting, Aquapolis, Palace of the Dead, new materials to acquire, new dances, new hairstyles, new emotes, new mentor systems, updates to previous systems, new story, new dungeons, etc. Nearly all of them having something for housing. Even things from 2.0 are updated in a lot of ways to refresh interest in content. Or new systems are made to further do that and reward it. In fact, whether you're a dungeon delver, a raider, a crafter, a gatherer or a partaker of the dozens of systems that give you random things to do, you have golden opportunities in-between and during new patches due to all of them. With the people who already made their fortune buying all the new stuff at obscene prices. Honestly, this is just a new end-game for pretty much everyone, if it's done correctly.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    If they add storage capability for player housing my guess is it'll only be for subscribers. Otherwise it would undermine their limited storage/crafting bag angle which is possibly the primary reason for any of us to choose subscription over b2p. Or maybe they'll add storage chests to the cash shop.

Have to wave the flag for LotR here. It continued to produce "meaningful" content for years after housing was first introduced and continues to produce "meaningful" content after the much more recent introduction of some housing cash shop items. And thinking it have to wave the flag for SWTOR as well. Probably others as well.

Will this be the same for ESO? We will find out.

So far however "cash shop stuff" is very limited in ESO.

And at the end of the day they have a limited number of options to generate revenue. I think this update is aimed at selling ESO to people who bought Skyrim but haven't yet bought ESO. And to that end I think there will be new DLC that adds more "Skyrim". 
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am not a big housing person.. Going back to UO with my first in game home I rarely used it except for a loaded recall runebook ( dont need in ESO ) , a chest with crafting supplies ( dont need in ESO since you can craft from banked items ) and a merchant ( would like to see guild merchants have spots in front of houses open for bid ).

At the same time I wont take issue with a housing update since many people enjoy those systems. The next DLC probably wont arrive until May - July next year to boot.
    Easy to forget that they are adding events as well.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The only complaint i heard was about storage. Other than that people were happy its finally going to happen.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited December 2016
    Ghavrigg said:
    Can't blame them for providing a service in demand. Believe it or not, but housing stuff is gameplay to other people. They're focusing on game play with it, regardless of whether or not you, specifically, will have a need for it. The game isn't made for you alone. 

Me, it's gameplay to me.  You know what I do in Rift?  I build my Dimension.  I've spent more time there than in the game.  Likely will be doing the same thing here.  

If I wasn't doing that, I was hopping through other peoples Dimensions playing their games or just seeing what they figured they could do with the exact same toys I had.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited December 2016
    The people who only care about "adding more zones and content" are going to have a problem with anything that doesn't add those two things - housing or otherwise. Nothing to be done about that.

The people who are upset because "Zeni didn't implement housing the way *I* wanted it" will likely never be happy, either. Nothing to be done about that, and explaining "this is the beginning, more is going to be added over time" will do nothing to help their discontentment.

There are a lot of people who have been looking forward to housing in ESO and I, for one, am glad they'll finally get it. I'm not playing ESO at the moment, though I'm tossing around the idea of going back soon, once some real-life things are sorted and I have more time to devote to a MMO. I'll certainly be getting at least the apartment to start with.

For me, I applaud anything Zeni does to add more content and value to ESO, giving players more to do, more variety in activities, etc. In a MMORPG, "more is more".

Full disclosure, I'm also greatly enjoying seeing Zenimax do something SE still hasn't managed to figure out in their MMORPG - a housing system where everyone gets a basic room/apt for free, and then can acquire and own multiple homes if they wish, with no limitations on availability, except their own in-game currency, or willingness to spend some real cash. This is despite being cross-platform (one of the reasons SE likes to cite for the "limitaions" on housing in XIV). SE botched it horribly with XIV's housing, and they've been trying to paint themselves out of that corner for almost 2 years now.

So, again...Kudos to Zenimax for, once again, shining a bright light on the amateurish leadership and design of XIV. They're making a habit of it, for sure.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    EP will have government assisted housing

Sz :o)