Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Winter Sale Dreams On Hold As Steam Goes Down - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageYour Winter Sale Dreams On Hold As Steam Goes Down - MMORPG.com News

In a potential DDoS attack, it appears that venerable Steam is down for the count, both for the website and the client itself. While nothing has been officially mentioned on the Steam Twitter, players on Reddit are guessing that it is under attack.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    How long till DDOS are declared an act of terrorism and the drones will start zooming in on these kids?
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Keller said:
    How long till DDOS are declared an act of terrorism and the drones will start zooming in on these kids?
    They do need to find ways to punish the people that do these sort of things strongly enough that they are discouraged from it.

Jail time would be ridiculous, but something like this at the very least, should go on a public record and come up in job background checks.  And fines should be severe.  
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    syriinx said:
    Keller said:
    They do need to find ways to punish the people that do these sort of things strongly enough that they are discouraged from it.

Jail time would be ridiculous, but something like this at the very least, should go on a public record and come up in job background checks.  And fines should be severe.  
    They do punish the idiots behind stuff like this. It's not instant. Usually months or more. Also depends on what they do.  Like fucking with the FBI website as some of these groups have done. Will land you in the back of a van really quick.

Is this even a DDoS?  I saw some random twitter thing claiming it was a group. Said something in a comment. But then noticed it wasn't that groups official account. The official account hadn't had any posts for awhile.   Uplay store has been down as well. Wonder if related.
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    This is what happens when they only give us a 15% discount on Planet Coaster.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I said it before and will say it again ...i call BS !!.

Valve is big,a GIANT in the industry,if anyone thinks for one minute that the ydo not have FAST efficient ways to sidestep a DDOS attack,then well they might as well fire their entire networking and security and management team.

What is a DDOS?A takeover via flooding a site with massive hits by hijacking MANY other sites with the ability and load to overrun Valve's Steam.So first of all they have to takeover other property and maintain it long enough to do some harm.
    I would think..expect that by now these giants like Valve have their sites loaded with automated restarts AND i would expect them to utilize NEW ip's and new redirects so that they cannot easily be targeted.You would then expect that by time,the original hacked sites have taken back their sites and bandwidth as well MOST IP suppliers have automated shutdowns of IP{'s if they are being suspiciously over loaded,i know i have been shut down many times and i am just a little guy.

Personally,likely Steam has too much business and were not on top of that or expecting such high volume,probably a good time to fire the people in charge,but hey so we don't look bad and management does not look bad,let's blame a DDOS.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Hulluck said:
    syriinx said:
    Keller said:

They do punish the idiots behind stuff like this. It's not instant. Usually months or more. Also depends on what they do.  Like fucking with the FBI website as some of these groups have done. Will land you in the back of a van really quick.

Is this even a DDoS?  I saw some random twitter thing claiming it was a group. Said something in a comment. But then noticed it wasn't that groups official account. The official account hadn't had any posts for awhile.   Uplay store has been down as well. Wonder if related.
    That's why the article states that it's thought to be a DDoS. I am sort of with @Wizardry that it's just being bombarded by bargain hunters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited December 2016
    It's crazy how people say jail time is ridiculous for people who cause millions of dollars in damages with denial of service attacks. It's a purposeful thing meant to cause grief to as many people as possible. People were chanting "lock her up" in regard to emails yet DDoS attack isn't a jail sentence punishable offense? I disagree.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    SBFord said:
    Hulluck said:
    syriinx said:
    Keller said:

That's why the article states that it's thought to be a DDoS. I am sort of with @Wizardry that it's just being bombarded by bargain hunters.
    The only time it gets bombared is during the first hours of steam sale launch and even then the site didn't go down. Either something bad happened on valve's end or they suffer from DDOS.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134
    While it could possibly NOT be hackers/DDOS... I'll stick with my "Hackers are why we can't have nice things on the internet" Theory :).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Ninja death squads that silently make people disappear works for me.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Well something is back up- I can play my online games. Now its just the store page that wont pull up.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It's crazy how people say jail time is ridiculous for people who cause millions of dollars in damages with denial of service attacks. It's a purposeful thing meant to cause grief to as many people as possible. People were chanting "lock her up" in regard to emails yet DDoS attack isn't a jail sentence punishable offense? I disagree.
    In other news voters refused to authorise a tax increase to fund an expansion of the prisons.

A spokesperson called for more government snooping powers funded by fines on people who refuse to upgrade their operating systems since old versions of Windows and so forth are more likely to be taken over and used as bots ........  
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I Say, OFF with There Heads.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Asheram said:
    Anyone notice how the author seems to be siding with the hackers?

"Right now they are showing a trailer of what they can achieve."
    "The blame for the Steam outage lies solely on Steam developers"

Achieve.. what an interesting word for terrorist activities.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I would DDOS too with those poor discounts and them getting rid of 75-90% flash sales.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I don't think it was an attack, i think it was really just heavy traffic. Always like this early in morning each day of these events.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't think prison is the right punishment, lets ban them from internet, phones and all social media. 
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Loke666 said:

I don't think prison is the right punishment, lets ban them from internet, phones and all social media. 

They cant do that to murderous ISIS folks, and you think this would be done to some poor sod using teh internets in a bad way? lol

Its the rage. They launched the DDOS after the poor crappy sales discounts.

Its actually discussed in some forums I wont mention. But google is your mate. :)
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Loke666 said:
    Impossible to enforce.

And prisons cost money.

Fines, and severe ones.  These ass clowns should be paying money for this until they are 100 years old.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Steam is working fine now.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Avanah said:
    Yep. We can stop advocating throwing non-violent offenders in jail now...

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:
    Avanah said:
    but but but those emails...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2016

syriinx said:

Keller said:

Totally disagree. I think 5 years of jail time for anyone who's caught would put an end to most of this bullshit.
    If the current prisoners of America are any indication, it probably wouldn't have nearly the deterrent effect you're thinking it would.

https://nij.gov/five-things/pages/deterrence.aspx

The certainty of getting caught is a much more effective deterrent than incarceration. 

Keep the punishment to fines for everything but the most damaging of attacks on the public space and the utilize public registries for offenders, then use the limited punishment ammo to lobby for more power in investigating these attacks; namely, more power in forcing IPs to assist in finding the origins of the attack and those responsible, knowing that this right infringement is blunted by the fact that no one is going to be put in a cell with a cocaine dealer for launching a computer program.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited December 2016
    syriinx said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Avanah said:
    but but but those emails...
    LOL I'm not even gonna go there.

On-topic: Man those Steam sales suck any more. I really miss the flash sales. I only participate in the stuff that gets you trading cards now. BTW whoever thought up the TC thing is a friggin genius!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.