Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : TheHiveLeader's Top 10 MMOs of 2016

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    vierklauw said:
    TSW best mmo of 2016? lol what a joke
    No doubt....TSW was garbage...Worst combat and animations youll find....I dont know why this overrated piece of garbage gets so much hype
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Iselin said:

Sorry Hive, not controversial enough. The hate meter on this thread has barely reached one - not nearly good enough for a Festivus celebration.

But how dare you put TSW ahead of ESO! They're also my two favorites (love building characters with open systems) but you got them backwards bud.

If he had added Star Citizen to the list even though it's still in alpha, there would have been a very long list of opinions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

Nothing like listing games that are several years old for Game of the Year for 2016...Just shows how little forward the genre is moving

Dude put the pipe down.....like, where did you get 'Game of the year" from?! Secondly, can you name ONE MMO besides BDO that actually released in 2016?!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited December 2016
    Iselin said:
    Sorry Hive, not controversial enough. The hate meter on this thread has barely reached one - not nearly good enough for a Festivus celebration.

But how dare you put TSW ahead of ESO! They're also my two favorites (love building characters with open systems) but you got them backwards bud.
    yeah he needed Archeage, or maybe listed Star Citizen in the top 3 or at least ahead of ESO. Irony is a lot of people still like that game they just dont post here....
  • EagleBonesFalconHawkEagleBonesFalconHawk Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Great list...Love the top 3!!!
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

Tekaelon said:

Daikuru said:

Scorchien said:

So...
    4...GW2..one of the worst MMO released in the last 10 years , and set the genre back all by itself ...

what?

No he's right about GW2. It is a pop culture MMO.

So is WoW? Hell WoW would be the leading pop culture MMO. What does it matter anyway? I can't count on one hand how many mature MMOs are out there anyway.
  • the_Wockythe_Wocky Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2016
    Oh great one! Thou shall do us a top 10 mmos of 2016?
    "I guess then, I'm your huckleberry."

ps. RIFT:Starfall Prophecy. LoL

★ Twitter @WockyCC ★ YouTube the Wocky ★ BLOG wockster.com ★
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Iselin said:

If he had added Star Citizen to the list even though it's still in alpha, there would have been a very long list of opinions.

No doubt. The hater hysteria would have been heard up to LEO. I know Haters Gotta Hate, but come on, some of these people start foaming at the mouth.

Yet another funny video HL. Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    edited December 2016
    TSW - I tried, Lord knows I tried. A melee healer! Yes! Sounds great.
    But then...
    Actually playing one.....in combat......ugh. You would think that after all this time they would have done something, anything, about the combat. Ugh.

FFXIV - ok I'm biased. Hive's comments on getting bored in dungeons/raids. Try the higher end content. Just once, have a go. A traditional progress content mmo is aimed at players progressing. Don't stay safe, go for the higher levels.
    Then one of the main features (which wasn't mentioned), the story. It's about the best out there, brilliant.

As for BDO - oh.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    How dare you enjoy games, Hiveleader!!
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I've always felt TSW had the best 5 man dungeons. Short, sweet, with trash mobs that built up to interesting bosses.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Just HOW can we possibly respect HiveLeader now, when putting TSW as the best MMO?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Mitara said:
    Just HOW can we possibly respect HiveLeader now, when putting TSW as the best MMO?
    By acknowledging that other people can enjoy different games than you do.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

rodarin said:

yeah he needed Archeage, or maybe listed Star Citizen in the top 3 or at least ahead of ESO. Irony is a lot of people still like that game they just dont post here....

Granted he had a non MMORPG at 10, but SC isnt really a MMORPG. And he didnt have EvE in his list so maybe just space sim isnt his thing?

Also, he doesnt like Open world PvP so it makes sense for ArcheAge to not be in his list either. My top 10 certainly wouldnt have it. Nor would it have TERA, because its a one trick pony with its one trick being highly overrated.

Other than his number 10 choice (besides it not being an MMORPG, the time where PoE > D3 has passed) I have no issues with his list. I think Rift is uninspired garbage, but I dont even have an issue with him placing it so high. Its his list after all, not mine.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2016
    Grakulen said:
    I've always felt TSW had the best 5 man dungeons. Short, sweet, with trash mobs that built up to interesting bosses.
    Wish we could replace the trash mobs in MMORPG dungeons with something more heroic.

Maybe it's just the connotation of the phrase.  Trash mobs makes it sound like a waste of time, something you must get through before you can get to the fights you want to play.

Eh, I think my standards for MMORPGs have bloated too much to enjoy most of them these days.  It's hard to keep at it when single player games offer better story/combat (generally), more robust crafting (as your character/party is usually proficient in multiple trades), etc...  Developers seem to be missing the boat, in my opinion.  Focusing on the things borrowed from other genres knowing full well the quality will always be second fiddle due to technical limitations and the nature of the beast, so to speak.

I wish they'd focus on what the genre offers that no other genre can.  World interactivity on a massive scale and the interactions (direct and indirect) between players on both a micro and macro level.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Gorwe said:
    Nice list. I agree with you Hive about the effects of instant max level and zone(level) scaling. I simply don't care about leveling. Though, this is a topic where some would defend leveling vehemently. Not me. It can rot for all I care. The more MMOs that adopt ESO / SWTOR / TSW mentality, the better. I simply don't want to wait 3 / 4(or 1 / 2 for that matter) of leveling time to have fun.
    Leveling to me is the best part of the game, by an enormous margin.  Thats because, outside of a few titles, 100% of your character progression happens while leveling.  once you hit max level its usually just gear, gear, and more gear.  Yawn.

However, ESO's system is brilliant.  You sort of start at max level, but there is a shit ton of progression to do.
    One of the reasons why Legion is WoW's best expansion since at least wotlk, if not ever, is that there is actual max level progression with artifacts.  So more games are catching on that MMORPGs could use more character progression.