Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games to publish LoTRo and DDO...wtf?

13»

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    They haven't done anything bad to eq or eq2.
    I think the problem is they haven't done anything good to them either. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    svann said:
    Will all-access pass include ddo and lotro?
    Great question, that will be awesome if it does. Pay one monthly fee and have access to DDO, LOTRO, EQ1, EQ2, PS2, and DCUO.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Forgrimm said:
    Great question, that will be awesome if it does. Pay one monthly fee and have access to DDO, LOTRO, EQ1, EQ2, PS2, and DCUO.
    Hmm, that actually sounds like something that would bring more players to all the games involved. Yeah, they would actually earn money on it so it is far from unlikely.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    We'll I think they have released updates  and at least one expansion each. Those are good. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Loke666 said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Would be great if DDO was a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.5 (Eberron) game as they marketed.

It is as much Dungeons and Dragons as the new Neverwinter Online is - which is quite clear if you are above age of 30 and actually play Dungeons and Dragons.

Also, not getting your sudden anger explogarsm and the drama folk bit. Never had a problem on that game with exploiters or people acting like a douche.

I had quite fun going in dungeons with my friends (just like you have fun going in any other dungeon in any other game with friends) - I just think too many classes are way too deviated from Dungeons and Dragons to use DDO as example of a Dungeons and Dragons experience.

ESO is closer to an Elder Scrolls experience than DDO is to D&D and that says a lot.
    Thats all true but it is still the closest MMORPG to a pen and paper games (well, except SSIs and Biowares Neverwinter nights (2 games, same name, both closer to P&P)). You can feel the D&D mechanics behind it even if I am not sure why they did many of the changes.

No MMO will ever be close to a P&P game, at least until we get an AI as good as an active DM. P&P have true freedom besides a few basic rules, MMOs are very restricted and usually railroaded like there is no tomorrow.

Getting together a group and play P&P is a project, it takes many hours for a DM (at least me) to prepare, then you need the entire group to have the same free day and get everyone to the place to play. MMOs you can log into any time and play for as long as you have time. Pizza and beer brake also shaves off some time.

But I honestly don't think ESO is closer to the TES series. It is about the same difference. Still, try pen and paper roleplaying, it is amazing. :)

That is the real point.  Without a DM, a crpg version of a pnp rpg will not be closer than a mmorpg is to a crpg.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    lol..

How can turbine be so fcking stupid to make a deal with daybreak omg
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    lol..

1.) Turbine didnt make any deals
    2.) What publisher would you have suggested?  How many publishers are interested in very old games with small player bases?  I cant think of a publisher more likely to keep old fantasy games running.
    Daybreak games is spelled "They Break Games".
    Did you think of that on your own?  Its so clever and original.

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    syriinx said:
    Did you think of that on your own?  Its so clever and original.

Quick! Somebody coin it! =P

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    edited December 2016
    Might as well kiss these games goodbye.  It will start with new 'features' being added which basically promote a marketplace/cash shop, P2W, F2P, P2Whatever.. get ready for the most complicated pricing model you have ever seen in a game.  With EQ2 you had to pay 40 bucks for the game, 40 more dollars for the expansion, 15 dollars a month if you wanted to actually play the game, and then you had your pay 2 win items in the marketplace, pay for additional features etc. and this while it was advertised as a F2P game.

In the end players leave because they are sick of the business model, nobody plays EQ2 anymore or the other 20 games they have that they advertise under 1 subscription model.  They will milk and rip apart LOTRO and DDO, give it a few months and as a player you will feel raped by this company.

They put out expansions?  Ya, look at them in detail.. they aren't really expansions (but they still charge you 40 for them).  Very little itemization, very little new content... they basically get some writers to make some lore (marketing) and add a couple instances.. heck they stopped adding new zones and started reusing old ones calling it 'new' content.  The itemization is the most disgusting thing though, they are so lazy they can't even create different items that drop from mobs.  

Daybreak/SOE will basically do the absolute minimum that they can get away with to make money, they don't care about making games.  They destroyed EQ2 which was once one of if not the best MMORPG on the market, they turned it into a disgrace of a game.  That's what you are dealing with, get ready to have your soul ripped out over a period of months to 1 to 2 years.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Luiden said:
    That's what you are dealing with, get ready to have your soul ripped out over a period of months to 1 to 2 years.
    Well, considering both games have had roughly a seven year run, I'd say 1-2 years more before the soul-ripping event isn't so bad.

Most new games rip your soul out in 1-2 years total.

edited December 2016
    Luiden said:
    Might as well kiss these games goodbye.  It will start with new 'features' being added which basically promote a marketplace/cash shop, P2W, F2P, P2Whatever.. get ready for the most complicated pricing model you have ever seen in a game.  With EQ2 you had to pay 40 bucks for the game, 40 more dollars for the expansion, 15 dollars a month if you wanted to actually play the game, and then you had your pay 2 win items in the marketplace, pay for additional features etc. and this while it was advertised as a F2P game.

In the end players leave because they are sick of the business model, nobody plays EQ2 anymore or the other 20 games they have that they advertise under 1 subscription model.  They will milk and rip apart LOTRO and DDO, give it a few months and as a player you will feel raped by this company.

They put out expansions?  Ya, look at them in detail.. they aren't really expansions (but they still charge you 40 for them).  Very little itemization, very little new content... they basically get some writers to make some lore (marketing) and add a couple instances.. heck they stopped adding new zones and started reusing old ones calling it 'new' content.  The itemization is the most disgusting thing though, they are so lazy they can't even create different items that drop from mobs.  

Daybreak/SOE will basically do the absolute minimum that they can get away with to make money, they don't care about making games.  They destroyed EQ2 which was once one of if not the best MMORPG on the market, they turned it into a disgrace of a game.  That's what you are dealing with, get ready to have your soul ripped out over a period of months to 1 to 2 years.
    None of that started with Daybreak. They continued yes but Soe is the one that started it.

Daybreak hasn't really done anything bad. They bought some games. They continued the marketing the plan the games allready have. They put out some new content and an expansion. 

They didn't make any changes to the game, good or bad. They didn't put more items that were more pay to win than before. Reusing/skinning older assets is hardly new. Pay for additional features is the norm in pretty much everything. 

I would bet it will be exactly the same with Lotro and DDO. They will continue with whatever has been going on the last couple years. 

I would bet it will be exactly the same with Lotro and DDO. They will continue with whatever has been going on the last couple years. 
    Exactly.  And SSG continuing the status quo from a content perspective is far more worrisome, to me, than DBG continuing the status quo with the pricing model.  
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Loke666 said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Would be great if DDO was a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.5 (Eberron) game as they marketed.

It is as much Dungeons and Dragons as the new Neverwinter Online is - which is quite clear if you are above age of 30 and actually play Dungeons and Dragons.

Also, not getting your sudden anger explogarsm and the drama folk bit. Never had a problem on that game with exploiters or people acting like a douche.

I had quite fun going in dungeons with my friends (just like you have fun going in any other dungeon in any other game with friends) - I just think too many classes are way too deviated from Dungeons and Dragons to use DDO as example of a Dungeons and Dragons experience.

ESO is closer to an Elder Scrolls experience than DDO is to D&D and that says a lot.
    Thats all true but it is still the closest MMORPG to a pen and paper games (well, except SSIs and Biowares Neverwinter nights (2 games, same name, both closer to P&P)). You can feel the D&D mechanics behind it even if I am not sure why they did many of the changes.

No MMO will ever be close to a P&P game, at least until we get an AI as good as an active DM. P&P have true freedom besides a few basic rules, MMOs are very restricted and usually railroaded like there is no tomorrow.

Getting together a group and play P&P is a project, it takes many hours for a DM (at least me) to prepare, then you need the entire group to have the same free day and get everyone to the place to play. MMOs you can log into any time and play for as long as you have time. Pizza and beer brake also shaves off some time.

But I honestly don't think ESO is closer to the TES series. It is about the same difference. Still, try pen and paper roleplaying, it is amazing. :)

Pen and paper is a far greater experience though!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    They seem to be living up to their "name" quite well, wouldn't you say?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    lol..

They may not have done; it could have been WarnerBros.

Either way it really comes down to what DBG will be providing, what does "publishing" mean and what were the alternatives? Steam? Presumably DBG were "the cheapest".
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    ...And there goes my sub to LotRO..well not really, I have a lifetime sub lol.  I probably won't be playing it as much though...I can't think of a single game that Daybreak has done that has been at least decent...they're almost as bad as Aeria Games...yeah I said it.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Gravarg said:
    ...And there goes my sub to LotRO..well not really, I have a lifetime sub lol.  I probably won't be playing it as much though...I can't think of a single game that Daybreak has done that has been at least decent...they're almost as bad as Aeria Games...yeah I said it.
    Daybreak is only going to be the publisher. The dev team will be the same group of people that have been working on the game for years.
    Gravarg said:
    What does quality of games by a company who isnt involved with developing LOTRO have any impact on your desire to play LOTRO?

Besides, you may not like them but EQ and EQ2 were both exceptional games in their prime and both are doing fine now.  

People are acting like LOTRO isnt a game thats 8 years past its MoM peak that has had spotty development since then with very little MMORPG content added in recent years. 
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    They haven't done anything bad to eq or eq2.

They haven't done anything ba... Good god man.
    edited December 2016
    What did they do?  name something they did that wrecked the game that didn't start with soe.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Torval said:
    I just hope they put effort into marketing the game. Turbine wasn't very good at marketing.
    That was always a weakness of SoE.  EQ2 got fair ay best advertising when it came out, and next to nothing since then.  Half the time they dont even bother sending a press release to this site.

edited December 2016
    What is the marriage and the resolve buff. I've never heard of those. 

I don't know about the expansion. I never get high enough for that. but if the stuff wasn't supposed to be part of it the expansion then that's a bit cheeky. 

The different servers started  with soe. It wad just expanded with daybreak. I'll find out about the buffs.
    Torval said:
    What did they do?  name something they did that wrecked the game that didn't start with soe.
    I think wreck is a pretty strong word, but there are some things that I really don't like.

The marriage buff and how it's used to push the sub.

The resolve buff per class.

Subscription gated content for a B2P xpac that they said wasn't part of the xpac even though it was part of the xpac area.

And finally, the specialty server gimmicks which started with SoE but were expanded on with DBG.

I think this significantly contributed to a very fractured community. One things about the EQ2 community up until DBG is that it was fairly unified even with raiders, pvp players, crafters, and rp/housing fans. Now it's just completely fractured. Server communities are spread across the specialty servers. Content gates split the existing server communities as did the marriage and resolve buffs. That's my perception and opinion.

I don't think the game itself is bad though or the old content ruined. It's mostly how new stuff works that is starting to break. For me, Rift is a better option because it offers a lot of what EQ2 did (without the same deep character and charm for sure) game play wise even with Trino driving that truck.
    I think its been clear for a while that EQ2 intends you to sub if you wanted to play high end content, so I have absolutely zero issues with gating content behind a sub.  Most of your complaints are from a F2P viewpoints it seems.

I do think that DBG, as well as Bioware, should drop the F2P moniker and call it a trial (EQ2's trial would still be hundreds of hours of content for free).  Trion's model is much more free player friendly, but I never felt valued as a patron with Trion.  The lack of a stipend goes a long way there to making me feel like Trion wants to have its cake and eat it too.

ESO might honestly have my favorite hybrid model.  If you are a non crafter, you could actually get away with playing the damn thing for free (after the B2P portion, which can be like 10 bucks on a console).  Instead of buying the DLC outright you can sub a few months, complete some of it while subbed then buy the rest with the stipend you got while subbed.  F2P crafters are kind of boned, but they can get by with mules and inventory tedium.  And as a subber I dont have to worry about DLC, the craft bags are a HUGE perk (but the game isnt unplayable without them), and I am never reminded of the crown store while playing (unless a thunder mount runs by.  Fuck those things, but I do kind of want one).

Oh and those new server ideas were dumb outside of the TLP, we are in agreement there.  I don't think they were done with greedy intent, but it was a poor decision regardless.