Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First 100% Completed Game?

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Sonic the hedgehog on Sega megadrive :D God the memories are flooding back now!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Phantasie, back in the mid-80's

Was stationed in Alaska and during the winter when we were off on weekends I would play the entire time on my trusty Commodore-64.  Used to stick the floppy drive out the window to keep the thing cool so I could keep playing all day, drove my roommate nuts.  I had to buy him a comforter to get him to stop whining about the cold coming in from the open window.

Phantasie Coverartpng

I played through the first three games in the series.  Good times... good times...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Talonsin said:

Was stationed in Alaska and during the winter when we were off on weekends I would play the entire time on my trusty Commodore-64.  Used to stick the floppy drive out the window to keep the thing cool so I could keep playing all day, drove my roommate nuts.  I had to buy him a comforter to get him to stop whining about the cold coming in from the open window.

Phantasie Coverartpng

I played through the first three games in the series.  Good times... good times...

There is an image I haven't seen in a long time.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Talonsin said:

Phantasie Coverartpng

Phantasie games were some of my favorites!
    I miss SSI

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Talonsin said:

Phantasie Coverartpng

Phantasie games were some of my favorites!
    I miss SSI

SSI was the best, They released so much quality stuff. I loved their Dark Sun stuff the most, and checking it out again made me realise there has actually been a Dark Sun MMO from 1996-1998....
    And I missed it, frigging 1996 with proper graphics and a MUD like chat system and turnbased combat.

Now I am sad.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BettyFuchs323BettyFuchs323 Member CommonPosts: 11
    The only game I completely finished was over 10 years ago. MapleStory. XD
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    I can't even remember.  I know it was a Nintendo game and I know that you could travel with a group of 4, you and three other companions.  And I know that there was a big old castle at the end that you destroyed and had to get out of before it fell down and that it was a top down dungeon crawler.  I want to say Legend of Zelda but for some reason I keep feeling like that my not have been it.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Andraxx said:
    The Bard's Tale (1985)
    I fell in love with that game the moment I played it.  Ah, the ole days of making your own maps with graph paper. :)
    Ok, Pong probably doesn't count, so my best guess would be also The Bard's Tale. Great game and I think it deserves a screenshot too. Since then I like those kind of games and a great dungeon beats anything.

But maybe it even was Elite on C64. Released in the same year, so I am not sure. I still remember their ship designs. Simplistic but still great. I guess it's Elite's fault that I don't really pay much attention on graphics. Look at the Ferdelance, what a clean and nice design. Just awesome. :)

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Everyone is lying. It was Solitaire.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    Everyone is lying. It was Solitaire.
    Nah, that's the only game that managed to beat me.
    I just suck.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    gotta be supermario on nes for me. 
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited December 2016
    advent.exe, otherwise known as the "colossal caves adventure."

The first thing resembling a commercial product. But I didn't buy it, Bradley University did, circa 1979-81. One of exactly two games available on the CDC mainframe, the other being a multiplayer star trek port where the baud rate of your dumb terminal provided a completely unfair advantage if you had one of the fast (1200) ones.

One of the reasons my grades at BU were so excellent (cough).

The magic word is xyzzy.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Fantasy Star on the old Sega :D
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    First?

How about only.

No One Lives Forever 2 and Thief 3.

only two games i have ever 'completed'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I'm not much of a completionist personally. It was easier in early days of gaming as 100% just meant finishing the main story. So, games like Mario on the Gameboy, or virtually all games I had on Sega Saturn or N64 I completed. 

Think the first game I played that had achievements and stuff that made it hard to 100% would be Tony Hawks 4. I loved that game so spent ages making sure I did absolutely everything. The hardest was hitting all the lines. Each level had like 30-60 lines that you had to hit to unlock, for example grinding a specific rail, or manualling down a specific ledge etc. Took me ages to find and hit them all, but the final 2 were both buggy. Took me maybe 300 attempts to get one of them. All i had to do was manual down a long ledge, something I managed nearly every attempt, but there was some bug that prevented the line from triggering properly. Eventually got lucky though. 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Kung Fu on NES
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    It would have been the first game I played as I always complete them, but no idea what it was.
    Wow! Impressive. I try and complete certain games but rarely seem to find the fortitude to do so. Well done mate! I admire that!
    I have to admit that I've gotten pretty bad at not finishing lately too. In the old days I finished everything but now... I just went back and finished Mass Effect 3 a couple of weeks ago after neglecting it for a couple of years (only to find out I hadn't played enough multiplayer to get the ending I wanted... FML :) ) and I still haven't finished the Witcher 3.

I blame the constant seduction from oodles of new games. In the old days we had enough time between releases that we couldn't help but finish then.
    I've found that with a lot of games recently, I've been getting bored with them to the point that I stop wanting to get home after work and launch them.  After wiping my entire A-team on X-COM Long War, for instance, I just didn't feel like going back and starting over yet again.  I've still never finished X-COM.  

Pillars of Eternity - Somewhere in the third act I just completely lost interest in even finding out the ending.  Complete boredom.

Wasteland 2 - Same deal.  The story is barely interesting at all, and I had to force myself to double click the icon for two days in a row.  

Fallout 4 - Man, this killed me, but honestly, building settlements was the best part of this game and I enjoyed that far more than the story.  Especially since, and my wife hates when I do this during movies, I figured out the end of the plot during the opening cut scenes.  It took me a couple of months of not playing at all before I went back and forced myself to check and see if I was right about the ending... and I was.  Boring.

Divinity 2 - Somewhere in act 2, after I talked some chick into dating a Troll, I just stopped playing.  No real reason why.  I thought that bit was pretty funny, but maybe I felt like that tiny little quest was the highlight of the game so far.  Actually it was, cause I can't remember a damn thing about the actual plot.

In a shocking trend, the third person isometric perspective games have become less and less interesting to me as time goes by.  While BG 1&2 were the best games of their era, I have a lot of trouble getting invested in characters that are barely visible on my screen these days.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I think it was Super Mario Bros. on the NES.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I think it was Zelda: A Link to the Past but there may have been another before that
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    My first completed (RPG) game was one of the Level 8 games on the Amiga 500. Though not totally my own effort, we played with the 3 of us (my brother, a friend and I) to get through the game. Those old Level 9 games were HUGE, including some very hard and well done puzzles to solve.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out for me...=)
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    @H0urg1ass
    Pillars of Eternity - Somewhere in the third act I just completely lost interest in even finding out the ending.  Complete boredom.

I really enjoyed the end of that game.  I'm surprised, genuinely surprised that some folks didn't like that game.  But then again, I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate, Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale, etc...

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It's gotta be Golden Axe. I used to play it on my old green monitor Amstrad :__)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• CodeBluCodeBlu Member UncommonPosts: 30
    For me it's Contra back in the nintendo family computer days. Where you have to blow the cartridge as hard as you can before you can make it work sometimes.
  • EagleBonesFalconHawkEagleBonesFalconHawk Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Venture on Coleco System, along with Minor 2049er.