Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading a Video Game? - SPONSORED - General Developer Journals

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageReading a Video Game? - SPONSORED - General Developer Journals

Have you been looking for a way to scratch that gaming itch while on the road? Have you run out of interesting games to play? Have you tried everything to recapture that sense of nostalgia from games past and just found yourself bored, grinding through endless levels?If that is that case, you might want to check out the new LitRPG genre.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited December 2016
    I'm the next level from you Kano, I read the quests once to see the progression of the story, and then I don't want to see that wall of text ever again on my alts.

Yes, reading (or probably listening) to quests on the road would probably be much more enjoyable than seeing the walloftext more than once.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Finally, something to satiate my SAO appetite until the new season premieres.
  • Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    edited December 2016
    you guys call yourselves mmo player and arent even reading? lol what a paradox statement. as for the books, they sound very cool, but i hope they arent power fantasies like the japanese visual novel creep in recent times and animes. power fantasy is really bad, but a well written book about a VR experience like in sword art online (SAO) would be a lot appreciated.

again lol at all the people that arent reading in an mmo. mmo shoukd be all about immersion. you ´guys sound like you never read a book before. and here i am, thinking that the predessor to mmos were MUDS... guess you guys arent that hardcore as you claim to be. but its fine, being a forum warrior is a class in itself...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Zarkin86 said:
    you guys call yourselves mmo player and arent even reading? lol what a paradox statement. as for the books, they sound very cool, but i hope they arent power fantasies like the japanese visual novel creep in recent times and animes. power fantasy is really bad, but a well written book about a VR experience like in sword art online (SAO) would be a lot appreciated.

again lol at all the people that arent reading in an mmo. mmo shoukd be all about immersion. you ´guys sound like you never read a book before. and here i am, thinking that the predessor to mmos were MUDS... guess you guys arent that hardcore as you claim to be. but its fine, being a forum warrior is a class in itself...
    Your comment is totally random. Who are you addressing?

You are assuming that everyone claims to be hardcore and that people play mmo's in the same way.

As someone who reads all the quests, I've found most to be crap and even worse they just send you somewhere so that you can collect/kill 3 things and then run back.

You also assume that mmo players played MUDS.

Just a really odd comment with extremely odd logic.

Your first paragraph had good points though.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Awaken Online : Catharsis was probably the most hilarious book I've ever read. I can't wait for the next one, even messaged the author online.

Also if you like to read these:

(These are the names of the series not the individual book)
    Way of the Shaman
    Mirror World
    End Online
    Deathlord

All fantastic, funny reads. Definitely worth your time. Recently found this genre and have been devouring it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Before MMOs... back in the days of yore... "online" gaming consisted of using your 300 baud modem to dial up another computer (BBS or bulletin board system) where you you read posts made by other players detailing their actions, and a response by a GM detailing the results. Good old fashioned role playing!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    @DMKano did you ever try the audio books for the legion expac? I really enjoyed those a lot.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Zarkin86 said:

Sounds like mmo players to me.  Perhaps you meant RPG player.  You left that part of.  It is the key part yet you choose to leave that part out.  Perhaps you aren't a rpg player?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Thanks for the tips. These will be right up my alley. I've enjoyed the few good books that take place largely within VR MMOs such as Tad William's Otherland series and the great Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited December 2016

Zarkin86 said:

RPG players read the quests. MMO players only have to read the chat.
    And you can be anything you want when you play a video game. Sometimes I am an RPG player, sometimes an MMO player and sometimes both. But most of the time I'm that lost pet @DMKano is looking for.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Not quite MMO but... RPG
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Flame

And a very old short story from Dragon Magazine a long time ago..
    http://henrysstories.blogspot.com/2011/03/catacomb-part-1-of-5.html

LitRPG

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    The problem with this and every MMO out currently is that there is an end. Players need to be CONTINUOUSLY progressing to be entertained. No end game, or in this case, "end of novel," no end of stat progression, no end of personal character advancement.... don't force us to do daily's/raids because you've run out out ideal as a developer.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Nice article with some great suggestions, but...

You're recommending books to people who can't manage to read one or two lines of quest text. How in the name of all things sacred are they going to get through a 200-page book?

You may want to cover picture books about gaming instead.
    LitRPG

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2016

Sovrath said:

Zarkin86 said:

Your comment is totally random. Who are you addressing?

You are assuming that everyone claims to be hardcore and that people play mmo's in the same way.

As someone who reads all the quests, I've found most to be crap and even worse they just send you somewhere so that you can collect/kill 3 things and then run back.

You also assume that mmo players played MUDS.

Just a really odd comment with extremely odd logic.

Your first paragraph had good points though.

NO !!

He is not claiming HARDCORE or that people should PLAY<<<keyword PLAY in the same way.<br /> We are talking about immersion and READING,playing and reading are two totally different things.

The truth is that the massive majority of these mmorpg games ARE FORCING you to play in the exact same fashion as every other player,with or without the dialogue.You might be allowed to press the arrows/directional keys differently,you might be able to wait longer or shorter between attacking something but the actual core design is forcing people to play the same way and follow the same route.

Two perfect examples...
    1 Enter into the game world....VEE line directly towards that NPC with a yellow ? over it's head.
    2 You are then told to go fetch 10 bear pelts
    Every single player will be doing the exact same thing,you have the right to take your time before doing it but in the end your going to be doing it.

This is why i do not like or endorse linear questing games,i don't care what label people give them ...Themepark or whatever,they do NOT convey a role playing not even a MMO aspect to game design.

Also nobody is arguing that most of the time the dialogue is crap and nobody is arguing that most of the time they are just sending you to do some meaningless task.

That would be a whole new topic discussion based on WHY are you playing those games if they are crap in every aspect of MMO+RPG game design?

As well NOBODY is saying every single person on this earth does not have the right to do as they please "within law"inside a video game,that poster is merely pointing out an obvious fact that if you do not want to immerse inside a ROLE PLAYING+mmo game,then why are you?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• roarkindrakeroarkindrake Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I feel like you left out the two biggest Litrpgs The Land Founding and Dragons Wrath. Both are the best dam series so far when it comes to content and depth.