Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are none of you talking about Star Marine?

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited December 2016
    I have no idea what you're trying to say.
    Alpha everything! They don't focus on finishing up X and move to Y, is everything at once, iteration by iteration. They could do that, it would show more noticeable progress instead of many things at once, yet very incomplete.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    There's nothing negative to say about it so no one here is interested.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I thibk the general consensus from fans and critics alike is 'meh'. It looks ok but very basic.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    This is a forum for MMO fans. Discussion about details of FPS mechanisms doesn't hold interest to most of us.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    It was late and is unfinished. Nothing left to discuss.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited December 2016
    I have been a  backer since early 2014 or so, never efver have been invited to a test phase or whatnot and frankly I am tired of being left out.

I want to try this new shit but wont bother updating client if I am the last invited.. plus my bottle of Jameson has more appeal right now due to have to wait on all the buggers testing shit while I am left out in the cold.

Seriously it's hard to send in "new" bug reports when they all have been reported before u ever even have a chance to test crap all

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2016
    It was late and is unfinished. Nothing left to discuss.
    Yeah, now imagine if SM would be taken out of 2.6 due some breaking issue. I'm sure there would be a hell of a massive colossal discussion about SM around here.

But as it's being released instead, doesn't have a good use to fuel further drama/controversy; so who cares xD. We should be looking at the issues that matter, I heard they bought a new Coffee machine... :fearful:
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I'd honestly rather play Titanfall 2 any day than a super weak, derivative shooter like Star Marine.  It looks plain vanilla boring to me.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited December 2016
    Probably because most MMO players do not like First Person mmos.  It's a niche sub-genre that doesn't work well outside of pvp, so that means you're usually pigeonholed and forced into that style of gameplay.

EvE is another example.  It's niche because your avatar is a ship, and not an actual humanoid controlled avatar.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    About who? ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    I'm still a little pissed knowing that a paid early access alpha has a second pay gate that guarantees access to 'test' patches. 

I still haven't been invited, so assholes is what they are.
    Past me, this is future me. You actually get invited a few hours after this post - so stop bitching.
    No way ..

So , you got invited AFTER you wrote your first post???

Someone is watching. And if they are, I have a message for them : 

Keep ripping those poor believers ! They deserve it !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I liked quite a few of the SC videos.  But the recent SM video was just meh at best.  Nothing about the video made me think "must play this".  It looked like someone edited it last minute.  I was pretty disappointed.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Wasn't Star Marine supposed to be done awhile ago?  And it's still in alpha?  I'm supposed to be excited about it?

I refuse to get hyped about anything Star Citizen until the game actually comes out (and considering how p2w it is looking, probably not even then).

I don't know why we're supposed to get hyped at all the minuscule progress they make as the game is developed over a decade.  Game is probably going to suck anyway.

"Get hyped everyone!  They almost managed to put together a generic shooter module!"

Yep, it was meant to come out in April 2015. However, CIG changed some stuff, forgot to tell Illfonic, no-one checked that Illfonic were aware and almost 2 years worth of work got scrapped, just LOL.

What we have now is less than what was going to be delivered almost 2 years ago...

In reality it's a good thing that they're doing it in-house, everything will be much more unified compared to a 'game mode' where things are subtly different to the actual game.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    I'm still a little pissed knowing that a paid early access alpha has a second pay gate that guarantees access to 'test' patches. 

I still haven't been invited, so assholes is what they are.
    Past me, this is future me. You actually get invited a few hours after this post - so stop bitching.
    Glad to hear they helped you.  I admit this game is looking good.  Just taking a long time and causing lots of confusion because they show us stuff acting like its almost ready and its years away.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited December 2016
    Asm0deus said:
     ...plus my bottle of Jameson has more appeal right now due to have to wait on all the buggers testing shit while I am left out in the cold.

Most likely of no interest or remembrance to anyone but me, but waaaaayyyy back in the '80's there was a tabletop RPG called 'Traveller' - it was a very hard core Space Opera type game (you could die during character creation). And now that I ponder on it, it had many similarities with Star Marine. 

Does anyone know if Chris Roberts has ever mentioned this forgotten, dusty gem? If one of you are in contact with him could you ask him? I'd be very interested to hear his response.

Edit: The character in the fictional intro was named 'Jameson'. Probably should have led with that segue. 
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    observer said:
    Probably because most MMO players do not like First Person mmos.  It's a niche sub-genre that doesn't work well outside of pvp, so that means you're usually pigeonholed and forced into that style of gameplay.

EvE is another example.  It's niche because your avatar is a ship, and not an actual humanoid controlled avatar.
    You nailed it in one. I have tried EVE probably three or four times over the years, but I simply cannot get used to 'being a ship'. I got excited when they announced the walking avatar thing, because the political and intrigue aspects of EVE fascinate me. It also seems like a great Universe for role playing. 

I just never could get the hook in me.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited December 2016

Most likely of no interest or remembrance to anyone but me, but waaaaayyyy back in the '80's there was a tabletop RPG called 'Traveller' - it was a very hard core Space Opera type game (you could die during character creation). And now that I ponder on it, it had many similarities with Star Marine. 

Does anyone know if Chris Roberts has ever mentioned this forgotten, dusty gem? If one of you are in contact with him could you ask him? I'd be very interested to hear his response.

Edit: The character in the fictional intro was named 'Jameson'. Probably should have led with that segue. 
    I know "Traveller" well and have played it extensively. I also liked the elaborate stories that formed itself during character creation.

However - i see no similarities between Star Marine and Traveller.

What similarities do YOU see? Except for both being about space travel.

Do you mean Star CITIZEN (the whole game) instead of Star MARINE (the in game simpod virtual FPS combat training module)?

If you mean Star Citizen in general and compare it with Traveller:

"Key features derived from literary sources are incorporated into Traveller in all its forms:

• Human-centric but Cosmopolitan: --> partially, you cannot play aliens
    • Travellers travel: Interstellar travel is through the use of the FTL (Faster-than-light) jump drive, which moves a ship through "jump space" a few light-years at a time. Each jump always takes about one week. Normal-space travel is accomplished through relatively efficient and powerful gravitic drives.--> partially ... jumps are much faster than one week
    • Limited communication: --> YES, mostly
    • No Prime Directive: --> YES, mostly
    • Sociological: Interstellar society is socially stratified (high, mid, and low passage; SOC (Social Status) is a primary character attribute). Affairs are often managed by independent nobility, who make use of classic titles such as Baron, Duke and Archduke. --> YES, mostly
    • Materialist: Rewards are material, rather than Experience Points, Leveling Up, and so on. Also, Newtonian physics tends to be followed. --> YES
    • Diversity within Limits: Career options, ship design, subsector design, and decisions made during character generation limit and frame reality. The definitions create a diverse space (hence library data and anachronistic/atavistic worlds), within limits. --> partially
    • Mortal: People remain people and continue to show courage, wisdom, honesty and justice, along with cowardice, deceit, and criminal behavior. People age and eventually die. Many Traveller rules make death during character generation a possibility. --> YES "
    Similar archetypical alien races. Imperial society. Varies career choices.

What is - so far - definitely missing is the traces of "Ancients" (like you find in so many Sci Fi settings). That superior, old but lost race that had a hand in the creation and evolution of most "modern" species. Some planets in the Star Citizen universe MAY contain old ruins if the authors flesh that out a bit more (along the lines of the Space Odyssey 2001 trailer they used to introduce the Constellation Aquila).

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    observer said:

You nailed it in one. I have tried EVE probably three or four times over the years, but I simply cannot get used to 'being a ship'. I got excited when they announced the walking avatar thing, because the political and intrigue aspects of EVE fascinate me. It also seems like a great Universe for role playing. 

I just never could get the hook in me.
    the 'walking around part' of Eve would have zero effect on the political part

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited December 2016
    Star Marine may be a seperate game mode, but all the programming also transferred over to the PTU. Waiting until it was completely integrated is why it took so long to come out, and makes perfect sense. Why create a game mode that doesn't move the bar for the base game. Waste of resources. 

Though my my wife and I were both invited, we prefer to wait until it is pushed live as we don't like having two seperate clients installed for such a large game any longer. I think there will be a lot more chatter when it gets pushed live, as I think there are a large number of people in the same boat. At least many of my friends feel the same way about having two versions installed. 
    We did 5 years ago when it was suppose to launch.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    filmoret said:

You guys are nuts. Get an education. A game of this scope will take a minimum of 5 to 7 years from the time their staff is hired and trained. We're only 3 years in from the point where the real development started. I appreciate that they are taking their time and doing it right. I'm tired of crap broken games rushed out the door just as a cash grab. 

If if you think SC is progressing slow, you have no clue about game development. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    filmoret said:

You guys are nuts. Get an education. A game of this scope will take a minimum of 5 to 7 years from the time their staff is hired and trained. We're only 3 years in from the point where the real development started. I appreciate that they are taking their time and doing it right. I'm tired of crap broken games rushed out the door just as a cash grab. 

If if you think SC is progressing slow, you have no clue about game development. 
    to be fair what he said is right.

The point is more on what Chris Roberts said as a Project Manager for his time estimating skills was so off its beyond funny.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited December 2016
    filmoret said:

LOL you are too funny.  Let me educate you a bit here.  CIG has been constantly making it appear the game is right around the corner and in the last stages of development.  Untill last month that has been their way of fundraising.  Since I don't want to get into another deep conversation about the history of this project.  All you can do is sit back and wait because it will be finished but at the same time the amount of lies that CIG has told everyone is just unacceptable.

AND I'm not the one who claimed it would be ready 5 years ago.  It was CIG who did that.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Asm0deus said:
     ...plus my bottle of Jameson has more appeal right now due to have to wait on all the buggers testing shit while I am left out in the cold.

Most likely of no interest or remembrance to anyone but me, but waaaaayyyy back in the '80's there was a tabletop RPG called 'Traveller' - it was a very hard core Space Opera type game (you could die during character creation). <snip>
    Dusts off (first edition) Traveller box. Yep those were the days when we "knew" that no single game offered  both a space simulation and planetary mechanics. Along with everything in between.
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:
    AND I'm not the one who claimed it would be ready 5 years ago.  It was CIG who did that.
    Wha???

Last I checked I still knew how to count  =)

2012 + 2 = 2014
    2014 + 2 = 2016
    2016-2=2014
    Hear by...
    One... Two.... It was originally meant to be ready 2 years ago! :+1: